Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,695 members, 7,809,621 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:03 PM

How Did Lagos Cope Before The Construction Of Third Mainland Bridge - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Did Lagos Cope Before The Construction Of Third Mainland Bridge (31966 Views)

Fayose Begins The Construction Of Flyover In Ekiti State (Photos) / Jega Must Not Rig Imo State Like He Did Lagos / Why Did Lagos Govt Abandon The Floating Hotel? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Did Lagos Cope Before The Construction Of Third Mainland Bridge by ayojango(m): 8:04pm On Jul 11, 2012
Jarus:

Agba o nitan l'orile

Let's bestow the title of Agba-Akin of Nairaland on him,even my mama no explain reach this.

Seun oya oh!!!
Re: How Did Lagos Cope Before The Construction Of Third Mainland Bridge by folem: 8:16pm On Jul 11, 2012
johnie: In the seventies, only the Carter(First) and Eko (Second) Bridges linked the Island with the mainland.

Carter bridge was constructed by the colonial government while the military ( I believe Gowon) built the Eko Bridge.

The odd and even number concept was adopted to reduce vehicular movement in the seventies. Odd-number vehicles could ply the major roads on particular days and even-number cars on other days. Ojuelegba and Yaba were two major bottlenecks I remember in those days. Fela's song Ojuelegba , was about the regular confusion at the place. Whenever we we were going to school and climb the overhead bridge at Jibowu (from where we could clearly see the traffic situation at Yaba at a vantage position), my dad would remark Yaba O wo loni o! - meaning Yaba is messed up today. grin

In those days, people such as my parents had two have two cars -one even and the other odd numbered. My dad still advises me today to ensure that my cars are evenly spread between odd and even - just in case the number regime returns! grin

The Third Mainland Bridge was constructed by the Babangida government and was actually named after him (Ibrahim Babangida Boulevard) on completion. That name did not stick particularly because of the June 12 Saga which shortly followed the opening of the bridge. In the first phase of the project, Adeniji to Adekunle was done and open to traffic. When completed, the Adekunle-Oworo section of the bridge was not open to traffic for about six months.

Before the Adekunle-Oworo section was opened I was worked variously at Lagos Island and VI and would have to go through Adekunle to join Ikorodu road. That stretch from the Third Mainland Bride through Herbert Macaulay was hell. The traffic used to be very bad. Thank God that in those days, the incidence of robbery in the traffic hadn't started (at least I neither experienced nor heard of it).

That's how we used to "cope" then.

Shehu Shagari opened 3rd Mainland Brige.

IBB completed the last sections.

https://www.nairaland.com/693700/obasanjos-ex-ministers-trial-2m-bribery/1

GenBuhari: [size=18pt]3rd October 1980  - ITN News
President Shagari opens the Third Mainland Bridge in Lagos[/size]
The third major road bridge from the Nigerian mainland to the Island of Lagos was opened by President Alhaji Shehu Shagari (on Tuesday 30 September), as part of the country's independence celebrations. It's designed to relieve the growing pressure on the two existing bridges which span the Lagos Lagoon.

SYNOPSIS: Since 1975 the growing number of vehicles driving in and out of Lagos have put the existing road system under considerable strain. So the completion of the Third Mainland Bridge is a welcome addition to tackle the problem. The first vehicles to travel along the bridge formed the official opening motorcade. It's the third in successive Government's efforts to link Lagos with the mainland.

Present Shehu Shagari was introduced to the officials who've co-ordinated construction since the bridge was merely a drawing on an architect's board. Then he was called on to officially declare the bridge open. He'd earlier paid glowing tributes to the contractors.

In contrast to the few vehicles in the official motorcade, the two original bridges were full, as usual, with heavy traffic. The problem's been evident since the early 1970s, and the first plans for the Third Mainland Bridge were discussed in 1975. Its design in comparable with the best in the world, according to Nigeria's Director of Federal Highways. It consists of two separate carriageways, each providing three traffic lanes and an emergency shoulder.

It's cost nearly one hundred and twenty two million pounds (Sterling).

www.nairaland.com/attachments/528161_3rd_Mainland_Bridge_jpgf9adb65bee88f8ec09b229812022b711
Re: How Did Lagos Cope Before The Construction Of Third Mainland Bridge by naptu2: 8:38pm On Jul 11, 2012
3rd Mainland (or 3rd Axial) Bridge was conceived by the Gowon Administration. The Obasanjo Administration built the first phase (Adeniji-Adekunle) and it was commissioned by President Shehu Shagari. The project was then abandoned.

(While commissioning the IBB Bridge, President Babangida said) Raji Rasaki was appointed Lagos State Governor by the Babangida Administration. He so disturbed President Babangida, urging him to complete the bridge, that the President had to instruct his secretary not to allow Rasaki into his office again. The IBB section of the bridge (Adekunle-Oworonshoki) was commissioned by President Babangida in 1990 (at the commissioning, an excited Rasaki danced to music provided by Sir Shina Peters).

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did Lagos Cope Before The Construction Of Third Mainland Bridge by Ilaje44(m): 8:39pm On Jul 11, 2012
Kobojunkie: Lagos was also not as populated as you have it today. Pre-third mainland bridge, the population was still in the 1-3 million range. And not a lot of motorists on the roads as we had LSTC, way for efficient than what you have today, back then. Molues gained popularity in the late 80's/early 90's when LSTC developed serious issues due mostly to the change in regimes and lack of effective funding and maintenance.

During the time of LSTC or before during LMTS, there was BOLEKAJA for the poor folks. MOLUE ushered in the demise of the BOLEKAJA. We also had AKOYOYO (Ware transporters).

As had been said, there were fewer people, less vehicles, and most especially, there was some ORDERliness. Babangida changed all that!
]

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did Lagos Cope Before The Construction Of Third Mainland Bridge by faithin9ja: 9:01pm On Jul 11, 2012
hercules07: In the 80s traffic on Ikorodu road used to be hell in the mornings, it was usually so bad on the Jibowu to Yaba bridge that my dad would be reading his papers while driving (never liked that as I dreaded him hitting vehicles), the trains moved like clock work too, infact, whenever we went for center around apapa road, I will walk down to Iddo to join the trains moving at 2pm or 4pm from Iddo to Agege dropping on the way. The odd and even numbers also helped to decongest the roads, though people got around it by having the PRESS sticker.

The odd and even number started in 1977 in time for the FESTAC 77, it was meant as temporary solution. Odd & even was the brain child of the first OBJ regime.Then all Federal ministries where on the Island, whilst in 1976, the state capital was moved from Lagos Island to Ikeja when the 19 states were created.

I was already in secondary school then, so make una greet me properly

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did Lagos Cope Before The Construction Of Third Mainland Bridge by PHIPEX(m): 9:27pm On Jul 11, 2012
faithin9ja:

The odd and even number started in 1977 in time for the FESTAC 77, it was meant as temporary solution. Odd & even was the brain child of the first OBJ regime.Then all Federal ministries where on the Island, whilst in 1976, the state capital was moved from Lagos Island to Ikeja when the 19 states were created.

Am hearing this for the first time.
Re: How Did Lagos Cope Before The Construction Of Third Mainland Bridge by Kobojunkie: 9:29pm On Jul 11, 2012
Ilaje44:

During the time of LSTC or before during LMTS, there was BOLEKAJA for the poor folks. MOLUE ushered in the demise of the BOLEKAJA. We also had AKOYOYO (Ware transporters).

As had been said, there were fewer people, less vehicles, and most especially, there was some ORDERliness. Babangida changed all that!

Yep!!! Bolekaja, in my opinion, was so much better than the Molue days. People still queued at Yaba to enter those. But Molue came right when Lagoscians lost their sence of discipline.
Re: How Did Lagos Cope Before The Construction Of Third Mainland Bridge by pecopeco: 9:37pm On Jul 11, 2012
Only God knows
Re: How Did Lagos Cope Before The Construction Of Third Mainland Bridge by Emmaomotob(m): 9:37pm On Jul 11, 2012
If u would ask me,na who I go ask
Re: How Did Lagos Cope Before The Construction Of Third Mainland Bridge by faithin9ja: 9:39pm On Jul 11, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Yep!!! Bolekaja, in my opinion, was so much better than the Molue days. People still queued at Yaba to enter those. But Molue came right when Lagoscians lost their sence of discipline.

Bo le ka ja - means 'come down and fight' our impatience as a people did not start with Molue, we have been fighting and pushing since the 50's.
Re: How Did Lagos Cope Before The Construction Of Third Mainland Bridge by Kobojunkie: 9:43pm On Jul 11, 2012
faithin9ja:

Bo le ka ja - means 'come down and fight' our impatience as a people did not start with Molue, we have been fighting and pushing since the 50's.

That's not necessarily true. The name had little or nothing to do with the general discipline in society at that time.
Re: How Did Lagos Cope Before The Construction Of Third Mainland Bridge by delpee(f): 9:46pm On Jul 11, 2012
Johnnie is sooo right! I remember that my early working life was hellish cos we had to pass through congested Herbert Macaulay to Adekunle to link the bridge. Short cuts like passing through Iwaya/Makoko never made a significant difference. Had to leave home (Yaba area)at around 6a.m. then to get to Marina by 8a.m. Many times I would still get to work late. Journey back home was the same. The odd numbers on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, even on Tuesdays and Thursdays never made a difference cos people simply bought 2 cars to counter the directive. You could get 'panel van" or beetle for less 3000 naira (hope i remembered correctly) and bigger cars like Toyota saloon and Peugeot for between 4000 and 6000 naira which you paid for over a four year period.

The day the bridge was finally opened, many people walked the stretch from Oworonshoki to Adekunle in excitement not to mention Shina Peters entertainment. Its so sad that IBB messed up big time with June 12. He deserves accolades for completing the bridge even if he was harassed by Rasaki. Today's leaders wont care a hoot about being harassed.

3 Likes

Re: How Did Lagos Cope Before The Construction Of Third Mainland Bridge by folu500(m): 9:52pm On Jul 11, 2012
faithin9ja:

*prostrate* good evening sir

1 Like

Re: How Did Lagos Cope Before The Construction Of Third Mainland Bridge by faithin9ja: 10:01pm On Jul 11, 2012
folu500:

*prostrate* good evening sir

O'jare, get up my pickin, you will live long

5 Likes

Re: How Did Lagos Cope Before The Construction Of Third Mainland Bridge by emekson(m): 10:18pm On Jul 11, 2012
wetin consign me? Na hellupkpter i de use go work
Re: How Did Lagos Cope Before The Construction Of Third Mainland Bridge by snthesis(m): 10:27pm On Jul 11, 2012
emekson: wetin consign me? Na hellupkpter i de use go work
biggest boi

me na private jet and yacht i dey use move when i dey lagos

1 Like

Re: How Did Lagos Cope Before The Construction Of Third Mainland Bridge by Darey00(m): 10:28pm On Jul 11, 2012
Smh...i used rockets then

1 Like

Re: How Did Lagos Cope Before The Construction Of Third Mainland Bridge by felifeli: 10:56pm On Jul 11, 2012
denzel2009: I remember I used to swim from Obalende to Ebute Metta before the bridge was constructed.
Bros you too ? Me I used to swim from Obalende to Oworo smiley

1 Like

Re: How Did Lagos Cope Before The Construction Of Third Mainland Bridge by Lilspicer(f): 11:23pm On Jul 11, 2012
denzel2009: I remember I used to swim from Obalende to Ebute Metta before the bridge was constructed.
guy u mumu die i swear i don lauff tire why u no go competite for olympic

1 Like

Re: How Did Lagos Cope Before The Construction Of Third Mainland Bridge by MeGaStReEt: 4:50am On Jul 12, 2012
johnie: In the seventies, only the Carter(First) and Eko (Second) Bridges linked the Island with the mainland.

Carter bridge was constructed by the colonial government while the military ( I believe Gowon) built the Eko Bridge.

The odd and even number concept was adopted to reduce vehicular movement in the seventies. Odd-number vehicles could ply the major roads on particular days and even-number cars on other days. Ojuelegba and Yaba were two major bottlenecks I remember in those days. Fela's song Ojuelegba , was about the regular confusion at the place. Whenever we we were going to school and climb the overhead bridge at Jibowu (from where we could clearly see the traffic situation at Yaba at a vantage position), my dad would remark Yaba O wo loni o! - meaning Yaba is messed up today. grin

In those days, people such as my parents had two have two cars -one even and the other odd numbered. My dad still advises me today to ensure that my cars are evenly spread between odd and even - just in case the number regime returns! grin

The Third Mainland Bridge was constructed by the Babangida government and was actually named after him (Ibrahim Babangida Boulevard) on completion. That name did not stick particularly because of the June 12 Saga which shortly followed the opening of the bridge. In the first phase of the project, Adeniji to Adekunle was done and open to traffic. When completed, the Adekunle-Oworo section of the bridge was not open to traffic for about six months.

Before the Adekunle-Oworo section was opened I was worked variously at Lagos Island and VI and would have to go through Adekunle to join Ikorodu road. That stretch from the Third Mainland Bride through Herbert Macaulay was hell. The traffic used to be very bad. Thank God that in those days, the incidence of robbery in the traffic hadn't started (at least I neither experienced nor heard of it).

That's how we used to "cope" then.

Bros I hail ooo

1 Like

Re: How Did Lagos Cope Before The Construction Of Third Mainland Bridge by miccodb(m): 5:59am On Jul 12, 2012
3mb wasn't built for aesthetic or monumental values. Der was obvious congestion issuues arising. Qed
Re: How Did Lagos Cope Before The Construction Of Third Mainland Bridge by Tolexander: 6:47am On Jul 12, 2012
gbadexy: I just drove through lagos/ ikorodu road now and the whole road was congested.
I started wondering how people cope before the construction of the third mainland bridge.
Has the population of lagos multiplied more than four times since 1990?
Given the fact that the closure of the bridge is partial and we still have this traffic, I wonder if the true population of lagos state is what was given during the last census.
Does kano state have as many cars, bridge and road network as lagos? Just asking, I haven't been there and how did commuters cope before the construction of third mainland bridge.
you dont have to compare lagos population to kano's population in situation like this. Have you forgotten kano has a relatively larger land mass, and lesser civilizations mostly in terms of automobiles.
Re: How Did Lagos Cope Before The Construction Of Third Mainland Bridge by boladez(m): 6:57am On Jul 12, 2012
Fewer population at the time and because Lagos is a land of prosperity where ANYONE and EVERYONE has equal opportunity to excel, hence the mass influx of people. I had a contract employment in 1990 I used to leave alimosho for VI by 7am dna by 8.30 in the office. If I try that today I will get to the office about 10am.

What has happened over the years is the lack of real growth in terms of infrastructure. ALL bridges linking the island were planned in the 80s. If we had growth plans applied for the 90s and 20s we would not have this kind of problem.

Lagos needs to decongest the central business districts and make the mainland more attractive to corporate businesses. Why do we all crowd VI, Lagos island and Ikoyi. ........infrastructure and security.

I remember with joy those good ole days that may never come until we have a complete turnaround in leaders and followership.

2 Likes

Re: How Did Lagos Cope Before The Construction Of Third Mainland Bridge by Nobody: 7:23am On Jul 12, 2012
What I have learnt from this thread:
1, How Lagosians coped pre-TMB
2, That Lagos Island was at a time the capital of Lagos state
3, That the number of 40+ Nairalanders is not as few as I used to think
4, That there was once a transport system called Bolekaja in Lagos

3 Likes

Re: How Did Lagos Cope Before The Construction Of Third Mainland Bridge by naptu2: 7:32am On Jul 12, 2012
Lagos Island (Mainly the Onikan-Marina area) was the capital of the City of Lagos, Lagos State and Nigeria.

The President of Nigeria, the Prime Minister of Nigeria, the Governor of Lagos and the Finance Minister lived on Marina Street. Lagos City Council (which ran the Lagos Mass Transit System) had its headquarters @ City Hall and most government ministries were @ Broad Street.

Currently the government is trying to create multiple commercial centres in order to decongest Lagos Island. One of such centres is in the Badagry/Ojo area (one of the reasons for the Blue Line Rail project).

1 Like

Re: How Did Lagos Cope Before The Construction Of Third Mainland Bridge by naptu2: 7:48am On Jul 12, 2012
In 1989 the Eko Bridge was closed for repairs. This created huge traffic jams on 3rd Mainland Bridge (Adeniji-Adekunle).

As a result the government had to implement special measures. They converted the left side carriageway on Herbert Macaulay Road into a two way road. Previously, the right side of the carriageway was for traffic heading from 3rd Mainland Bridge to Yaba, while the left side was for traffic heading from Yaba to the bridge. This special measure is still in place today.

1 Like

Re: How Did Lagos Cope Before The Construction Of Third Mainland Bridge by Nobody: 10:14am On Jul 12, 2012
afam4eva: Some people don old oo.

Yes After the biafra-Nigerian war, We lived in Apapa and I used to cross from APAPA to CMS through PAKO road that was built across the River from the present day wharf to CMS bus stop cool,
Yes, all these NL small boiz recognize my presence cool
Re: How Did Lagos Cope Before The Construction Of Third Mainland Bridge by Kobojunkie: 11:38am On Jul 12, 2012
boladez: Fewer population at the time and because Lagos is a land of prosperity where ANYONE and EVERYONE has equal opportunity to excel, hence the mass influx of people. I had a contract employment in 1990 I used to leave alimosho for VI by 7am dna by 8.30 in the office. If I try that today I will get to the office about 10am.

Back in the days, a trip from Ikorodu(Lagos rd in Ikorodu) to Yaba, took a approximately 40 minutes. Oshodi was about the same, if not less. These days, the same trip will probably take about 2 hours the better days.
Re: How Did Lagos Cope Before The Construction Of Third Mainland Bridge by gbadexy(m): 12:08pm On Jul 12, 2012
Seems the military government were proactive more than what we have now.

1 Like

Re: How Did Lagos Cope Before The Construction Of Third Mainland Bridge by honiye(m): 12:31pm On Jul 12, 2012
The population was not as much as of today. Common sense!
Re: How Did Lagos Cope Before The Construction Of Third Mainland Bridge by Nobody: 1:03pm On Jul 12, 2012
The delineation of the Ikorodu road 3 lanes into (two and 1 exclusive for BRT) is also a contributory factor to the congestion we have on that axis today
Re: How Did Lagos Cope Before The Construction Of Third Mainland Bridge by NOWORNEVER: 1:35pm On Jul 12, 2012
Yeah [img]Bolekaja[/img]

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Sahara Reporters Releases Phone Numbers Of Members Of Ethics Committee (photos) / President Macron: "Why I Visited Afrika Shrine In Lagos" / VP Yemi Osinbajo Visits Google Headquarters In The US, Received By Google CEO

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.