Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,394 members, 7,815,844 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:20 PM

Senate Confirms Aloma Muktar 1st Female Chief Justice Of Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate Confirms Aloma Muktar 1st Female Chief Justice Of Nigeria (5929 Views)

PDP Senators Walk Out As Senate Confirms Amaechi As Minister (Photos) / Senate Confirms Nominations Of 18 Ministerial Nominees / Justice Aloma Mariam Mukhtar : Nigeria’s First Female Chief Justice: A Profile (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senate Confirms Aloma Muktar 1st Female Chief Justice Of Nigeria by mukina2: 4:50pm On Jul 11, 2012

[img]http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/thumbnail.php?file=mukhtar_798687724.jpg&size=article_medium[/img]
The Senate on Wednesday confirmed the nomination of Justice Alooma Mukhtar as the new Chief Justice of Nigeria.
Justice Mukhtar was confirmed after a screening by the whole committee of the upper chamber of the National Assembly.
With this development, she has become the country’s first female chief justice and will replace the retiring Justice Dahiru Musdapher, who will officially quit the bench on Friday.
http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news-update/53468-senate-confirms-justice-mukhtar-as-cjn.html
Re: Senate Confirms Aloma Muktar 1st Female Chief Justice Of Nigeria by Afam4eva(m): 4:57pm On Jul 11, 2012
Pls i have a question. Are there more schooled northern judges than there are southerners? How come most of these high profile judges are northerners. Abi dem go school pass?

2 Likes

Re: Senate Confirms Aloma Muktar 1st Female Chief Justice Of Nigeria by OAM4J: 5:03pm On Jul 11, 2012
afam4eva: Pls i have a question. Are there more schooled northern judges than there are southerners? How come most of these high profile judges are northerners. Abi dem go school pass?

lemme just post the answer I gave to similar question some days ago

OAM4J:

This question has been answered before.

It will always go to the North because many lawyers from the North go for the bench while the ones from the South opt for the bar because there is less money on the bench compare to the bar. Its a case of the South cant eat its cake and have it. The reason you will also find more SANs in the South compare to the North.

Check the list of Nigerian judges, you will find more Northerners on the list.

3 Likes

Re: Senate Confirms Aloma Muktar 1st Female Chief Justice Of Nigeria by Nobody: 5:07pm On Jul 11, 2012
afam4eva: Pls i have a question. Are there more schooled northern judges than there are southerners? How come most of these high profile judges are northerners. Abi dem go school pass?
Hahahaha focusing your mind on Nigerian politics alone may make you look silly when discussing in public places where intelligent people are. Dont you think appointments should be based on merit ? Nepotism is evil.
Re: Senate Confirms Aloma Muktar 1st Female Chief Justice Of Nigeria by Nobody: 5:16pm On Jul 11, 2012
Congratulations madam Chief Justice. I wish you a very prosperous time and pray that you continue in your fainess in the discharge of justice like you have been known to do.
Re: Senate Confirms Aloma Muktar 1st Female Chief Justice Of Nigeria by bola4dprec(m): 5:21pm On Jul 11, 2012
in the history of Nigeria judicial system notherner dominante almost high profile
Re: Senate Confirms Aloma Muktar 1st Female Chief Justice Of Nigeria by azimibraun: 5:30pm On Jul 11, 2012
All dos idiotic very wayward babes on d streets wll begin 2 talk trash nw. If u talk dey wll tell to shut up dt a woman is chief justice and dt dey cn also be lk her or even be president. As if dis mama wld ever b chief justice if she hd led a wayward life lk 2days gals.Madam Congrats jare..i wish dis g-string showin BB carying nonstopchattin gals will be lk u.

1 Like

Re: Senate Confirms Aloma Muktar 1st Female Chief Justice Of Nigeria by bakila: 5:34pm On Jul 11, 2012
Ogbuagu who was elevated to the Supreme Court at the same time with her only spent two years while she spent seventeen at the Court of Appeal. Leave nepotisim, infact Okechukwu Opene spent twelve years and his complaint about that led to bribe offer of N15m, which led to his sack. The Younger Northerner on the penal with Opene,Akaahs from North refused to collect twelve million.
Sometimes patience has its reward.
Re: Senate Confirms Aloma Muktar 1st Female Chief Justice Of Nigeria by Tsmooth1(m): 6:00pm On Jul 11, 2012
May God protect her from her enemies i.e Igbo people. Since Igbo are going their own way, they should leave all the post they occupy both locally and Nationally.

1 Like

Re: Senate Confirms Aloma Muktar 1st Female Chief Justice Of Nigeria by Nobody: 6:12pm On Jul 11, 2012
Abegi join the ranks of Jona girlfrensabi womanfrens!
Re: Senate Confirms Aloma Muktar 1st Female Chief Justice Of Nigeria by Jabioro: 6:22pm On Jul 11, 2012
Pls i have a question. Are there more schooled northern judges than there are southerners? How come most of these high profile judges are northerners. Abi dem go school pass?thank you Afam4eva.Na quota system,there sch.cert=our university graduate.
Re: Senate Confirms Aloma Muktar 1st Female Chief Justice Of Nigeria by superior1: 6:23pm On Jul 11, 2012
Why does this woman keep reminding me of Patrica Etteh?. Something having to do with PIDIPI
Re: Senate Confirms Aloma Muktar 1st Female Chief Justice Of Nigeria by azimibraun: 6:25pm On Jul 11, 2012
Jona wetin? Dis woman and gej who get levels pass? Abi u tink say na by president? Shun dt tin o! After dem soyinka dem levels na dis woman o! Gej and sambo dem na little rep men dem be if u no knw.. Abi dis woman resemble dem deziani type for ur blind eye?
Re: Senate Confirms Aloma Muktar 1st Female Chief Justice Of Nigeria by MRADOLUDEHINWA(m): 6:32pm On Jul 11, 2012
Glory be to God. Any student going for any university post ume, should try to note and know this. God bless.
Re: Senate Confirms Aloma Muktar 1st Female Chief Justice Of Nigeria by TheGeneral1(m): 6:34pm On Jul 11, 2012
Great!
Re: Senate Confirms Aloma Muktar 1st Female Chief Justice Of Nigeria by Biggyd2: 7:06pm On Jul 11, 2012
The General: Great!

Strangely you find something good about Nigeria!
Re: Senate Confirms Aloma Muktar 1st Female Chief Justice Of Nigeria by Greatfuture: 8:37pm On Jul 11, 2012
bola4dprec: in the history of Nigeria judicial system notherner dominante almost high profile
You should be ashamed of yourself ethnic juggernut.She merits it
Re: Senate Confirms Aloma Muktar 1st Female Chief Justice Of Nigeria by Greatfuture: 8:40pm On Jul 11, 2012
Jabioro: Pls i have a question. Are there more schooled northern judges than there are southerners? How come most of these high profile judges are northerners. Abi dem go school pass?thank you Afam4eva.Na quota system,there sch.cert=our university graduate.
You are a biind ethnic bigot who fails to see she merits the position
Re: Senate Confirms Aloma Muktar 1st Female Chief Justice Of Nigeria by bola4dprec(m): 8:44pm On Jul 11, 2012
Greatfuture:
You should be ashamed of yourself ethnic juggernut.She merits it
i never condem or against her nomination
Re: Senate Confirms Aloma Muktar 1st Female Chief Justice Of Nigeria by Afam4eva(m): 8:47pm On Jul 11, 2012
Greatfuture:
You are a biind ethnic bigot who fails to see she merits the position
I'm not blind and I'm not a bigot and I have nothing against this woman. I was just making an observation of what I've noticed and I needed answers.
Re: Senate Confirms Aloma Muktar 1st Female Chief Justice Of Nigeria by 10over101: 9:00pm On Jul 11, 2012
So much northerners in the key and juicy posts in this country..
Re: Senate Confirms Aloma Muktar 1st Female Chief Justice Of Nigeria by Engineer96(m): 9:21pm On Jul 11, 2012
The northerners were promoted even when they don't deserve it during the military era and that made them to be at the highest in the judiciary now.
Time will come when the current crop of judges will retire and southerners will take over.
Re: Senate Confirms Aloma Muktar 1st Female Chief Justice Of Nigeria by folahann(m): 9:42pm On Jul 11, 2012
Girls, if you sleep with lecturers to pass exams, you will never get to this level.

1 Like

Re: Senate Confirms Aloma Muktar 1st Female Chief Justice Of Nigeria by Balyz: 10:26pm On Jul 11, 2012
10 over 10: So much northerners in the key and juicy posts in this country..
You can go ahead and commit suicide if it bothers you that much

1 Like

Re: Senate Confirms Aloma Muktar 1st Female Chief Justice Of Nigeria by christ4mi(f): 10:41pm On Jul 11, 2012
grin Congratulations! This is a welcome development
Re: Senate Confirms Aloma Muktar 1st Female Chief Justice Of Nigeria by shadrach77: 11:04pm On Jul 11, 2012
i wonder why any achievement by a woman is always celebrated. If the female folks are clamouring for equality, why should it matter if the achiever is male or female? That automatically indicates that by celebrating any achievement, they (females) are indirectly considering themselves to be inferior. That apart, let's pray for the day we would see a female governor or a female president like Liberia smiley wink cheesy grin
Re: Senate Confirms Aloma Muktar 1st Female Chief Justice Of Nigeria by Rijiya: 12:54am On Jul 12, 2012
Oh men the northers are the key and juicy position becouse they deserved! Tell us,is dis sunusi lamido sunusi(cbn),md abubakar(police),md dikko(airforce),dikko inde(customs),tambuwal(speaker),or bamanga tukur(pdp)?who is not deserved among all these i mentioned?mtswww!!!
Re: Senate Confirms Aloma Muktar 1st Female Chief Justice Of Nigeria by Sagamite(m): 2:34am On Jul 12, 2012
OAM4J:

This question has been answered before.

It will always go to the North because many lawyers from the North go for the bench while the ones from the South opt for the bar because there is less money on the bench compare to the bar. Its a case of the South cant eat its cake and have it. The reason you will also find more SANs in the South compare to the North.

Check the list of Nigerian judges, you will find more Northerners on the list.

I doubt that will be the only factor contributing to that outcome. I am pretty sure quota system will also play a part.

Secondly, I would be very surprised if their are more Northerners as judges. If that is the case, I would be interested in knowing the judge selection process and criteria. Surely there are tons of sounthern lawyers who would not find space in the lucrative part of the bar and would have to settle for bench as well instead of charge and bail work loitering. Pure Supply and Demand.
Re: Senate Confirms Aloma Muktar 1st Female Chief Justice Of Nigeria by OAM4J: 2:46am On Jul 12, 2012
Sagamite:

I doubt that will be the only factor contributing to that outcome. I am pretty sure quota system will also play a part.

Secondly, I would be very surprised if their are more Northerners as judges. If that is the case, I would be interested in knowing the judge selection process and criteria. Surely there are tons of sounthern lawyers who would not find space in the lucrative part of the bar and would have to settle for bench as well instead of charge and bail work loitering. Pure Supply and Demand.

Yeah that is true for the current trend of things in Nigeria. But majority of the senior judges we have now are those that were employed in the 60s and 70s. Then there were no cheap charge and bail lawyers as we have them now. So most of those who opted for the bench then were Northerners.

In those days if you are a graduate not even as a Lawyer or Doctor or Engineer you know there are tons of employments with housing and brand new car waiting for you. No longer the same now.
Re: Senate Confirms Aloma Muktar 1st Female Chief Justice Of Nigeria by Sagamite(m): 3:00am On Jul 12, 2012
OAM4J:

Yeah that is true for the current trend of things in Nigeria. But majority of the senior judges we have now are those that were employed in the 60s and 70s. Then there were no cheap charge and bail lawyers as we have them now. So most of those who opted for the bench then were Northerners.

In those days if you are a graduate not even as a Lawyer or Doctor or Engineer you know there are tons of employments with housing and brand new car waiting for you. No longer the same now.

I just looked at the way judges are appointed in the UK:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Court_judge#Appointment

I believe Nigeria would have adopted the colonial master's old system and most likely not changed it to the new UK system. So I really think quota system and tribalism would have heavily played a significant part in why most judges are northerners and consequently virtually all CJNs are Northerners.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Buhari Does Not Have Any Igbo In-law / Photos Of Four Different Women To ‘prove’ That Paris Attacks Were Staged / EFCC Reviews Tactics As Appeal Court Stops Orji Kalu’s Fraud Trial

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.