Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,013 members, 7,838,548 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 03:51 AM

What Is “sub-saharan Africa” Exactly? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Is “sub-saharan Africa” Exactly? (23141 Views)

Angola At Peace Is Sub-saharan Africa’s Top Defense Spender / Lekki Deep Sea Port, Approved. Largest Of Its Kind In Sub-saharan Africa- / When will Sub-Saharan Africa be on par with first world countries? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is “sub-saharan Africa” Exactly? by SmoothCrim: 3:24pm On Jul 13, 2012
O.D.B.:

you are brain dead

And yet more intelligent than you which makes you below a brain dead person or a dog!!! grin grin grin
Re: What Is “sub-saharan Africa” Exactly? by ektbear: 3:25pm On Jul 13, 2012
anyway, let us just call it black Africa, since this is what seems like it will make everyone happy

But then if a white man says "black Africa", then you'll call him racist too for that

So which term will make you all satisfied?
Re: What Is “sub-saharan Africa” Exactly? by SmoothCrim: 3:26pm On Jul 13, 2012
ekt_bear: anyway, let us just call it black Africa, since this is what seems like it will make everyone happy

But then if a white man says "black Africa", then you'll call him racist too for that

So which term will make you all satisfied?

Don't call it black Africa either. Call it Africa and name the specific country or region and even better Ethnic group/s in question.

Be respectful and don't homogenize people but, read up on their history!
Re: What Is “sub-saharan Africa” Exactly? by ODB1: 3:27pm On Jul 13, 2012
If the white man never mapped the continent you will not up till now know the extent and limits of the African Continent.
Go and claim Egypt and see wetin Arab man go do you.
Re: What Is “sub-saharan Africa” Exactly? by SmoothCrim: 3:28pm On Jul 13, 2012
O.D.B.:
If the white man never mapped the continent you will not up till now know the extent and limits of the African Continent.
Go and claim Egypt and see wetin Arab man go do you.

What is your origin. Be man enough to expose it!!! cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: What Is “sub-saharan Africa” Exactly? by Nobody: 3:29pm On Jul 13, 2012
O.D.B.:

then you might as well arrange the map with the west to the north.

The concept of which part is north is in relation to how our earth spins and the axis of rotation.

stop spreading B.S.

Absolute rubbish. In outer space, the point of observation is ALL that counts as far as designation of north and south. Sheer common sense really.
Re: What Is “sub-saharan Africa” Exactly? by ektbear: 3:30pm On Jul 13, 2012
All of these touchy, overly sensitive black Africans sef

sub-Saharan, wahala dey

even black Africa, wahala day

Instead he wants me to name the man's tribe, clan, village, and grandfather's third wife
Re: What Is “sub-saharan Africa” Exactly? by ektbear: 3:31pm On Jul 13, 2012
ok, so what if I don't know the person's country, ethnic group, village, etc?

But I can tell from their accent that they are from the part of Africa where black people rule?

How should I describe such a person?
Re: What Is “sub-saharan Africa” Exactly? by abbey621(m): 3:33pm On Jul 13, 2012
shymmex: Cape Verde and Senegal are in the Western Hemisphere, prick...

Failed product of Nigerian educational system - go get your dumbarse a map, cu.nt face.

I'm glad you decided to take my advice and do some research! You said, Cape Verde, Senegal are more western than the countries being referred to as the west or western civilization, not knowing that North America is way west of the countries you mentioned, but now you try to turn it around and say Western Europe, anyways bros, we don catch your ignorance. You remind me of a kid seeking attention, the more you try, the more foolish you sound, I don't have time to respond to most of your idiotic comments, so I'm going to leave you with this piece of advice: ranting on Nairaland will not solve your inferiority complex, neither would insulting people who you can never measure up to in your pathetic life, the best way to convince people to see things from your point of view is to do proper research, publish a book or be acknowledged in the scholastic world, goodluck!
Re: What Is “sub-saharan Africa” Exactly? by SmoothCrim: 3:34pm On Jul 13, 2012
ekt_bear: All of these touchy, overly sensitive black Africans sef

sub-Saharan, wahala dey

even black Africa, wahala day

Instead he wants me to name the man's tribe, clan, village, and grandfather's third wife
Boko Haram is in Sub-Saharan Africa.

Are they in South Africa? Botswana?

What I am trying to do is get a proper classification of the regions.

Going into details is better but, it would be more acceptable to talk about West Africa, Central Africa, East Africa, Southern Africa and North Africa....

Ultimately what I want is for people to respect people by reading up on them and not put a blanket term on them. I don't see that happening with Africa and the laziness offends me. grin grin grin
Re: What Is “sub-saharan Africa” Exactly? by Nobody: 3:34pm On Jul 13, 2012
ow11: ^^^^

To add to that intelligent rejoinder,

Actually, The Nile flowed from the Highlands in Sudan to the lowlands in present day Egypt. It therefore makes a lot more sense to call it lower in terms of elevation rather than cardinal points.

Stop believing everything you read on conspiracy sites. They are also guilty of the same thing you accuse western media of doing.

And you, stop talking garbage, and go and learn. The ancient Egyptian maps WERE 'upside down' by current convention, and the Nile had ZERO to do with it. THAT is the invention of the western mythorians you're parroting. It's like saying Nigerians would have named the north ''Southern Nigera'' if the River Niger had flowed from southern highlands to northern lowlands, which of course would be absolute rubbish.
Re: What Is “sub-saharan Africa” Exactly? by Nobody: 3:36pm On Jul 13, 2012
And how's North Africa more historically connected to Europe, and Middle-East?

After the dark ages (the renaissance) - YES!

Before that, there was no North Africa... Everyone came to Timbuktu, and the same people from Timbuktu were the ones who colonized Southern Europe..

Books are there for everyone to read - but linear thought process and selective reading won't allow you guys to do that smh..
Re: What Is “sub-saharan Africa” Exactly? by SmoothCrim: 3:36pm On Jul 13, 2012
abbey621:

I'm glad you decided to take my advice and do some research! You said, Cape Verde, Senegal are more western than the countries being referred to as the west or western civilization, not knowing that North America is way west of the countries you mentioned, but now you try to turn it around and say Western Europe, anyways bros, we don catch your ignorance. You remind me of a kid seeking attention, the more you try, the more foolish you sound, I don't have time to respond to most of your idiotic comments, so I'm going to leave you with this piece of advice: ranting on Nairaland will not solve your inferiority complex, neither would insulting people who you can never measure up to in your pathetic life, the best way to convince people to see things from your point of view is to do proper research, publish a book or be acknowledged in the scholastic world, goodluck!

This side debate you guys are having is useless... Join the debate I am having! The master debater who can defeat anyone easily
Re: What Is “sub-saharan Africa” Exactly? by ektbear: 3:36pm On Jul 13, 2012
People are by nature lazy

If I hear a guy named "Sergiy Korolevsky", I will by default assume that he is Russian.

When technically, he could be Ukrainian, Polish, hold Kazakh citizenship, etc

Surely I shouldn't have to discover which village this hypothetical Sergiy was born in before we can engage in business, yes?

Let's stop making life tedious and annoying unnecessarily
Re: What Is “sub-saharan Africa” Exactly? by Nobody: 3:37pm On Jul 13, 2012
Africa is Africa dammit..

Sub-North Sea Europe... grin
Re: What Is “sub-saharan Africa” Exactly? by ektbear: 3:38pm On Jul 13, 2012
shymmex: And how's North Africa more historically connected to Europe, and Middle-East?

After the dark ages (the renaissance) - YES!

Before that, there was no North Africa... Everyone came to Timbuktu, and the same people from Timbuktu were the ones who colonized Southern Europe..

Books are there for everyone to read - but linear thought process and selective reading won't allow you guys to do that smh..

Read about Carthage, Hannibal, etc...

The rise of the Roman Empire

Surely you studied these topics in high school/college
Re: What Is “sub-saharan Africa” Exactly? by ektbear: 3:39pm On Jul 13, 2012
Also, the Islamic conquests of North Africa

This was around ~700AD or so? + or - 100 years I guess
Re: What Is “sub-saharan Africa” Exactly? by Nobody: 3:39pm On Jul 13, 2012
O.D.B.:
Because we occupy the same continent doesn't make us the same.
Lets see;

1. Race
2. Culture
3. Religion
4. Ancestry
5. History

North Africa was never occupied by black Africans, the Berbers, Coptics, Tuaregs, Romans, Jews, Greeks, Phoenicians, Persians, Arabs, Turks have all been a part of North Africa. The early Black settlers came via Juba in South Sudan and west Africa (north Nigeria, Mali, etc) as slaves.

Next thing you will be saying that the early Egyptians were black.

Rubbish.

You are the most ignorant, bamboozled ignoramus on this forum it appears.

You seem to have been living under a rock to claim the ancient Egyptians were not blacks + the rest of the stinking garbage you typed.

You're tragically miseducated, and if indeed you are a black person, then it's a triple tragedy.
Re: What Is “sub-saharan Africa” Exactly? by abbey621(m): 3:41pm On Jul 13, 2012
SmoothCrim:

This side debate you guys are having is useless... Join the debate I am having! The master debater who can defeat anyone easily

Bros, I have no need to debate with someone whose main point is winning the debate, such a person won't see reason and would argue against anything even when the points being argued against are justified. So spare me!
Re: What Is “sub-saharan Africa” Exactly? by ektbear: 3:41pm On Jul 13, 2012
Not to mention the conquest of Spain by the Muslims
Re: What Is “sub-saharan Africa” Exactly? by SmoothCrim: 3:41pm On Jul 13, 2012
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO The debate is going to be about the ancient Egyptians again!!

WHY OH WHY!!! grin grin grin

grin grin grin grin

Please don't turn this into one of those debates. Once again, I don't want people to debate the ancient Egyptians on this because it is a huge distraction. Leave that to the anthropologist.

This is about the validity of the term Sub-Saharan Africa.

This is how it is used in the media.

http://www.google.com/#q=sub-saharan+african&hl=en&tbm=nws&ei=ATMAUNyGF9DW2wXHldy8BA&start=0&sa=N&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=83b337c2691be536&biw=1280&bih=843

Scroll through and you will see why it is worthless as it is being used!
Re: What Is “sub-saharan Africa” Exactly? by jameeluu(m): 3:42pm On Jul 13, 2012
To me, i think it is just a nomenclature
Re: What Is “sub-saharan Africa” Exactly? by Nobody: 3:42pm On Jul 13, 2012
SmoothCrim:

What is your origin. Be man enough to expose it!!! cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Do not waste your time with him. His arguement lacks an iota of intellectual input. They swallow everything that is given to them.

Their likes reminds me of animated characters in the movie G.force.

These characters are always answering Yes to everything.

The Ferret ask the mice: You guys are stupid right ?

Mice replies uniformly : Yes

When one is conditioned to wholly accept a version of history, geography and even culture without putting it under a microscope to know if there was any bacterial that brainwashes the brain and mind. They become unconciously aware of their display of utter stupidity.
Re: What Is “sub-saharan Africa” Exactly? by ektbear: 3:42pm On Jul 13, 2012
Also, if the ancient Egyptians were black, why aren't the current ones black? what happened to them? Did somebody kill them off or something?

1 Like

Re: What Is “sub-saharan Africa” Exactly? by SmoothCrim: 3:43pm On Jul 13, 2012
Olodostein:

Do not waste your time with him. His arguement lacks an iota of intellectual input. They swallow everything that is given to them.

Their likes reminds me of animated characters in the movie G.force.

These characters are always answering Yes to everything.

The Ferret ask the mice: You guys are stupid right ?

Mice replies uniformly : Yes

When one is conditioned to wholly accept a version of history, geography and even culture without putting it under a microscope to know if there was any bacterial that brainwashes the brain and mind. They become unconciously aware of their display of utter stupidity.

Good post!
Re: What Is “sub-saharan Africa” Exactly? by SmoothCrim: 3:44pm On Jul 13, 2012
ekt_bear: Also, if the ancient Egyptians were black, why aren't the current ones black? what happened to them? Did somebody kill them off or something?

Not what this debate is about. I am sure if you do a simple search you can read up on it if you are interested in ancient Egypt. In essence I don't care about it grin grin I am interested in right now and respecting those alive today wink
Re: What Is “sub-saharan Africa” Exactly? by Nobody: 3:45pm On Jul 13, 2012
ekt_bear: People are by nature lazy

If I hear a guy named "Sergiy Korolevsky", I will by default assume that he is Russian.

When technically, he could be Ukrainian, Polish, hold Kazakh citizenship, etc

Surely I shouldn't have to discover which village this hypothetical Sergiy was born in before we can engage in business, yes?

Let's stop making life tedious and annoying unnecessarily

yeah - show all these noisemakes a yellow person and they will automatically say chinko - could be jap, chinese(han chinese etal) korean, vietnamese, thai , all na chinko to them

ditto for whites - don't hear them defing them as scots, irish, croation etal na just oyibo

and our kora who may be syrian, lebanese, israeli etal
Re: What Is “sub-saharan Africa” Exactly? by Nobody: 3:47pm On Jul 13, 2012
ekt_bear:
Read about Carthage, Hannibal, etc...

The rise of the Roman Empire

Surely you studied these topics in high school/college

Hannibal was black.
Re: What Is “sub-saharan Africa” Exactly? by SmoothCrim: 3:48pm On Jul 13, 2012
shymmex:

Hannibal was black.

Can you stop your nonsense and stay on topic grin grin
Re: What Is “sub-saharan Africa” Exactly? by SmoothCrim: 3:49pm On Jul 13, 2012
There is a financial crisis in the Super-Saharan area! tongue grin grin grin
Re: What Is “sub-saharan Africa” Exactly? by ODB1: 3:49pm On Jul 13, 2012
ROSSIKE:

Absolute rubbish. In outer space, the point of observation is ALL that counts as far as designation of north and south. Sheer common sense really.

You must know that the earth has poles. The poles are a region of concentrated magnetic field. The common compass points to the north. You must also be aware that our planet rotates on it's own axis at a tilted angle of 77 degrees facing the Sun. If you must, you can invert it and the north can be south. Shikinna
Re: What Is “sub-saharan Africa” Exactly? by ektbear: 3:51pm On Jul 13, 2012
Hannibal was black

ok, was Carthage black?

Moreover, why are you changing the topic? You claimed that North Africa did not become more connected to Europe and the Middle East until after the enlightenment or something.

Do you concede that you were wrong on this point? If so, then we can discuss Hannibal and Carthage. If not, then let's finish North Africa first

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Fayose Inspects Ongoing Work At Ado Ekiti Flyover(pics) / US Support For Atiku, A Major Boost To His Candidacy / Buhari Campaign Slams US, Others Over Stance On Elections

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.