Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,054 members, 7,838,677 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 07:49 AM

What Is “sub-saharan Africa” Exactly? - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Is “sub-saharan Africa” Exactly? (23143 Views)

Angola At Peace Is Sub-saharan Africa’s Top Defense Spender / Lekki Deep Sea Port, Approved. Largest Of Its Kind In Sub-saharan Africa- / When will Sub-Saharan Africa be on par with first world countries? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is “sub-saharan Africa” Exactly? by coolzeal(m): 3:51pm On Jul 13, 2012
ekt_bear: Also, if the ancient Egyptians were black, why aren't the current ones black? what happened to them? Did somebody kill them off or something?

what happened to the native Americans or are they white too.. oh what happened to the aboriginals in Australia or maybe they're white too.. get some books and read more.. Ancient Egyptians are black Africans and their origin is from the South( Nubia) that is where the first hieroglyph, law, religion, culture, Art etc of ancient Nile originate from. I hope you know that, the Arabs came into Ancient Egypt(Kemet) in 638 to 700ad, in other words thousands of yrs after the pyramid age and moreover Ancient Egypt(kemet) has being conquered by Persians, Greek and Romans before Arab invasion.
Re: What Is “sub-saharan Africa” Exactly? by ektbear: 3:52pm On Jul 13, 2012
oyb:

yeah - show all these noisemakes a yellow person and they will automatically say chinko - could be jap, chinese(han chinese etal) korean, vietnamese, thai , all na chinko to them

ditto for whites - don't hear them defing them as scots, irish, croation etal na just oyibo

and our kora who may be syrian, lebanese, israeli etal

I can't tell the difference between Chinese, Korean and Japanese myself, and constantly get in minor trouble screwing up the differences.

To my bemusement, I now live in a place where there are also Mongolians. And I'm like...wtf, this shit is getting too complicated.

Imagine if there were Mongolian equivalents of the OP would then whine, complain and b1tch at you if you ever screw up.

The last name "Nguyen" for example is pronounced "Win." I pronounced it "Ngoo -yen" for a long time, until I was corrected in an embarassing manner grin grin

I don't know why all these people want to make life so complicated. All this ethnicity crap is complicated enough as is man. Too much sh1t to remember so you don't offend somebody
Re: What Is “sub-saharan Africa” Exactly? by Nobody: 3:53pm On Jul 13, 2012
ekt_bear: Also, if the ancient Egyptians were black, why aren't the current ones black? what happened to them? Did somebody kill them off or something?

What happened to the Cherokees and native Americans?

No one killed the ancient Egyptians, they migrated to other parts of Africa - and Arabs aren't a pure race, they're mixed race..

Arab = mix between blacks and white..

You can check the wave of migration around Africa - the first migration started after the hyskos invaded Egypt..

The full quote from Herodotus (the great Greek historian)

“For the fact is as I soon came to realise myself, and then heard from others later, that the Colchians are obviously Egyptian. When the notion occurred to me, I asked both the Colchians and the Egyptians about it, and found that the Colchians had better recall of the Egyptians than the Egyptians did of them. Some Egyptians said that they thought the Colchians originated with Sesostris’ army, but I myself guessed their Egyptian origin not only because the Colchians are dark-skinned and curly-haired (which does not count for much by itself , because these features are common in others too) but more importantly because Colchians, Egyptians and Ethiopians are the only peoples in the world who practise circumcision and who have always done so.
Re: What Is “sub-saharan Africa” Exactly? by ODB1: 3:53pm On Jul 13, 2012
ROSSIKE:

And you, stop talking garbage, and go and learn. The ancient Egyptian maps WERE 'upside down' by current convention, and the Nile had ZERO to do with it. THAT is the invention of the western mythorians you're parroting. It's like saying Nigerians would have named the north ''Southern Nigera'' if the River Niger had flowed from southern highlands to northern lowlands, which of course would be absolute rubbish.

The Nile was central to Egypt even up till this day. Military and diplomatic Skirmishes have been fought over the damming of the Nile from it's origin, the blue and white Nile. The Nile is also unique as it is the only river to flow from south to north. The Egyptians mapped their territory using the Nile current. Id1ots
Re: What Is “sub-saharan Africa” Exactly? by SmoothCrim: 3:53pm On Jul 13, 2012
Either way, my view of thinking is starting to be applied and the term sub-Saharan Africa will be dead within 20 years

This is how Africa will be viewed... It is better and more accurate!!

Re: What Is “sub-saharan Africa” Exactly? by Nobody: 3:54pm On Jul 13, 2012
Aristotle (384-322 B.C.E.) Greek philosopher, scientist, and tutor to Alexander the Great.
Aristotle is said to have written 150 philosophical treatises.

"Too black a hue marks the coward as witness Egyptians and Ethiopians and so does also too white a complexion as you may see from women, the complexion of courage is between the two."
(Physiognomics, Vol. VI, 812a)

Aristotle makes reference to the hair form of Egyptians and Ethiopians: "Why are the Ethiopians and Egyptians bandy-legged? Is it because the bodies of living creatures become distorted by heat, like logs of wood when they become dry? The condition of their hair supports this theory; for it is curlier than that of other nations, and curliness is as it were crookedness of the hair."
(Physiognomics, Book XIV, p. 317)

The evidence of Lucian (Greek writer, 125 B.C.) is as explicit as that of the previous writers. He introduces two Greeks, Lycinus and Timolaus, who start a conversation:

Lycinus (describing a young Egyptian): "This boy is not merely black; he has thick lips and his legs are too thin . . . his hair worn in a plait behind shows that he is not a freeman."

Timolaus: "But that is a sign of really distinguished birth in Egypt, Lycinus, All freeborn children plait their hair until they reach manhood. It is the exact opposite of the custom of our ancestors who thought it seemly for old men to secure their hair with a gold brooch to keep it in place."
(Lucian, Navigations, paras 2-3)
Re: What Is “sub-saharan Africa” Exactly? by ektbear: 3:55pm On Jul 13, 2012
If an Arab man hears you say that he is a mix between black and white, he will give you 2 dirty slaps grin grin
Re: What Is “sub-saharan Africa” Exactly? by ektbear: 3:56pm On Jul 13, 2012
lwkmd

ok, so Arab = mix between black and white

Are Jews also mix between black and white?

What of Persians?
Re: What Is “sub-saharan Africa” Exactly? by Nobody: 3:57pm On Jul 13, 2012
Why didn't the Arabs slap Gaddafi when he told them that? undecided undecided

Arabs are bi-racial bastards anyway - I don't really care about them.
Re: What Is “sub-saharan Africa” Exactly? by Nobody: 3:57pm On Jul 13, 2012
is there a subliminal attempt at subterfuge to infer than blacks are subhuman dwellers of subterranean substructures?

this is a truly subjective subject and all subscribers should substitute their submission to our sub scripting by those subwoofers. we are the big dogs after all

now let a subeditor fix this post

i think i need to supermit it
Re: What Is “sub-saharan Africa” Exactly? by Nobody: 3:59pm On Jul 13, 2012
O.D.B.:

The Nile was central to Egypt even up till this day. Military and diplomatic Skirmishes have been fought over the damming of the Nile from it's origin, the blue and white Nile. The Nile is also unique as it is the only river to flow from south to north. The Egyptians mapped their territory using the Nile current. Id1ots

Educate yourself. You are BRAINWASHED.

''Upside down map - It needn't be a Eurocentric World'':

http://flourish.org/upsidedownmap/
Re: What Is “sub-saharan Africa” Exactly? by ODB1: 3:59pm On Jul 13, 2012
Because we all share the same island continent doesn't make us all of the same stock.
Re: What Is “sub-saharan Africa” Exactly? by SmoothCrim: 4:00pm On Jul 13, 2012
If people are going to be acknowledged as North Africans and not simply Africans then, I demand to be at least acknowledged as a West African! I can relate to all the people in West Africa easily!!! grin grin
Re: What Is “sub-saharan Africa” Exactly? by ektbear: 4:00pm On Jul 13, 2012
Ghadaffi sounds like a confused individual to me

Anyways, Semitic peoples like Jews and Arabs are very different from black African people like me
Re: What Is “sub-saharan Africa” Exactly? by Nobody: 4:00pm On Jul 13, 2012
say - is south america also a racist term?
what about south korea?
Re: What Is “sub-saharan Africa” Exactly? by Nobody: 4:00pm On Jul 13, 2012
Why is there no racial classification for Arabs? And how come Persians tell everyone they're not Arabs?

Heck, even Berbers don't consider themselves to be Arabs... And there are black Arabs. undecided undecided

Arab definition:

An Arab is a person whose language is Arabic, who lives in an Arabic-speaking country, and who is in sympathy with the aspirations of the Arabic-speaking peoples.

There's no Arab race..
Re: What Is “sub-saharan Africa” Exactly? by SmoothCrim: 4:00pm On Jul 13, 2012
O.D.B.:
Because we all share the same island continent doesn't make us all of the same stock.

Where are you from? why do you care so much about this specific aspect of the debate? Are you sane?
Re: What Is “sub-saharan Africa” Exactly? by nagoma(m): 4:01pm On Jul 13, 2012
It is a polite substitute for Negro Africa.
Re: What Is “sub-saharan Africa” Exactly? by SmoothCrim: 4:02pm On Jul 13, 2012
SmoothCrim: Either way, my view of thinking is starting to be applied and the term sub-Saharan Africa will be dead within 20 years

This is how Africa will be viewed... It is better and more accurate!!

Once again!! debate from here please!
Re: What Is “sub-saharan Africa” Exactly? by ektbear: 4:02pm On Jul 13, 2012
O.D.B.:

abi o

why fvck is this so hard for people to get.

Asia has Chinese, Koreans, Japanese, white Russians, various Turkic groups, Indians. Yet Indians don't get offended when their country is described as part of a sub-continent

Na wa for these overly sensitive, touchy black Africans
Re: What Is “sub-saharan Africa” Exactly? by SmoothCrim: 4:03pm On Jul 13, 2012
nagoma: It is a polite substitute for Negro Africa.

It's not polite if you are intelligent.

The Supra-Saharan area should restrain from labeling a more diverse region how they please!! grin grin grin grin
Re: What Is “sub-saharan Africa” Exactly? by ODB1: 4:03pm On Jul 13, 2012
ROSSIKE:

Educate yourself. You are BRAINWASHED.

''Upside down map - It needn't be a Eurocentric World'':

http://flourish.org/upsidedownmap/

if you want to be a bat then knock yourself out

Re: What Is “sub-saharan Africa” Exactly? by ektbear: 4:05pm On Jul 13, 2012
1. Why are you bringing up Berber and Persian in a discussion about Arabs

2. OK, you claim that there is no Arab race

Does it follow then that they are a mix of white and black?

The world is not as black and white (no pun intended) as you make it seem
Re: What Is “sub-saharan Africa” Exactly? by ektbear: 4:05pm On Jul 13, 2012
you seem to have missed this post, by the way.........

ekt_bear: Hannibal was black

ok, was Carthage black?

Moreover, why are you changing the topic? You claimed that North Africa did not become more connected to Europe and the Middle East until after the enlightenment or something.

Do you concede that you were wrong on this point? If so, then we can discuss Hannibal and Carthage. If not, then let's finish North Africa first
Re: What Is “sub-saharan Africa” Exactly? by SmoothCrim: 4:07pm On Jul 13, 2012
ekt_bear: 1. Why are you bringing up Berber and Persian in a discussion about Arabs

2. OK, you claim that there is no Arab race

Does it follow then that they are a mix of white and black?

The world is not as black and white (no pun intended) as you make it seem

Why do people insist on going on this tangent. Arab is an ethnic group of people a majority of whom are Arabized. The Ethnic group was before Arabization made up of numerous distinct ethnic groups. That is another debate though.
Re: What Is “sub-saharan Africa” Exactly? by edicolove: 4:07pm On Jul 13, 2012
This is so hilarious! Lol

Jobless black niggas fighting over what they think somebody means when he calls them.

Jamb Question:

Why did they call us subsaharan Africa?

Answer:

Because we don't have a dang! name for ourselves. We are busy holed up in our villages drinking palm wine and marrying wives and don't give a hoot about the world around us. We didn't even have a map of our location till they came so how could we have a name for it. Hahahahahahahahahaha!

1 Like

Re: What Is “sub-saharan Africa” Exactly? by Nobody: 4:08pm On Jul 13, 2012
ekt_bear:

abi o

why fvck is this so hard for people to get.

Asia has Chinese, Koreans, Japanese, white Russians, various Turkic groups, Indians. Yet Indians don't get offended when their country is described as part of a sub-continent

Na wa for these overly sensitive, touchy black intellectual lipsrsealed lipsrsealed Africans

fixed

btw, what is this thread about anyways?

more noise from our resident sit on your arse and blather rather than do something noise makers?
Re: What Is “sub-saharan Africa” Exactly? by ektbear: 4:09pm On Jul 13, 2012
anyway, I think most people will agree that shymmex's claim of Arab = "mix of black and white" is pure and utter nonsense

Just as nonsensical as his previous claim that North Africa didn't have connections to Europe and the Middle East until after the enlightenment, or whatever he said
Re: What Is “sub-saharan Africa” Exactly? by SmoothCrim: 4:09pm On Jul 13, 2012
Back on topic.

If you type west African news in to google. I can see and identify with all the news happening in the region because I can smell it.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&tbs=qdr:d&tbm=nws&sclient=psy-ab&q=%22West+Africa%22&oq=%22West+Africa%22&gs_l=serp.3...54133.56964.2.57139.2.2.0.0.0.0.72.72.1.1.0...0.0...1c.Hp5361nM67U&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=83b337c2691be536&biw=1280&bih=843

That term is more useful!!
Re: What Is “sub-saharan Africa” Exactly? by ektbear: 4:11pm On Jul 13, 2012
oyb:

fixed

btw, what is this thread about anyways?

more noise from our resident sit on your arse and blather rather than do something noise makers?

Fake outrage and unnecessary drama...seems to be like bread and meat for these folks

Dunno what the deal is with them. Any little thing, they will get offended by
Re: What Is “sub-saharan Africa” Exactly? by SmoothCrim: 4:11pm On Jul 13, 2012
ekt_bear: anyway, I think most people will agree that shymmex's claim of Arab = "mix of black and white" is pure and utter nonsense

Just as nonsensical as his previous claim that North Africa didn't have connections to Europe and the Middle East until after the enlightenment, or whatever he said

Both of you are right and wrong. Now can we focus on the real issues and get off this tangent!! lipsrsealed lipsrsealed wink
Re: What Is “sub-saharan Africa” Exactly? by Nobody: 4:12pm On Jul 13, 2012
You mentioned the Persians first, I never did..

Africa is Africa.. Dammit..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Akin Adesina Rejects ₦100 Million APC Presidential Nomination Forms / FACT CHECK: Did Tukur Mamu Name Terrorists’ Sponsors? / 2019 Elections: Ex-CBN Governors On 1000 Notes Speak In Edited Video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.