Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,675 members, 7,837,490 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 04:53 AM

What Is “sub-saharan Africa” Exactly? - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Is “sub-saharan Africa” Exactly? (23139 Views)

Angola At Peace Is Sub-saharan Africa’s Top Defense Spender / Lekki Deep Sea Port, Approved. Largest Of Its Kind In Sub-saharan Africa- / When will Sub-Saharan Africa be on par with first world countries? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is “sub-saharan Africa” Exactly? by Nobody: 8:52am On Jul 14, 2012
O.D.B.:
Because we occupy the same continent doesn't make us the same.
Lets see;

1. Race
2. Culture
3. Religion
4. Ancestry
5. History

North Africa was never occupied by black Africans, the Berbers, Coptics, Tuaregs, Romans, Jews, Greeks, Phoenicians, Persians, Arabs, Turks have all been a part of North Africa. The early Black settlers came via Juba in South Sudan and west Africa (north Nigeria, Mali, etc) as slaves.

Next thing you will be saying that the early Egyptians were black.

Rubbish.

slowpoke have you ever been in egypt? in a pyramid prbably not because all the drawings there represent black people ......but anyway there is no black who is claiming egypt ...but don't try to fool us we know our culture.....just read plato and aristotle description of egypt empire......? read also the travel book of hanon from carthages....in otheres words get educate

Re: What Is “sub-saharan Africa” Exactly? by GNBohr: 9:44am On Jul 14, 2012
I don tire for this thread o. I think the only country in Africa named with proper original indigenous language is Burkina Faso as championed by late Thomas Sankara, who himself bore a name from a foreign language. Africa itself was not called that name by its people. It is a foreign langauge like your names. So if you want to reject what or how Africa is described, start by stop being called Joshua, Yakub, Sandra or Sakira. These people use their language the way it makes them relate with their environment and because they are in control, their language, culture, styles, worldview and religion dominates. Is that not why your parents struggled to send you to school to first of all learn thier language. If you are not ok with that try and dominate the world. That is the simple law of nature. There was a time the Nubians were controlling a larger chunk of Africa, from middle to the north. Then their language, culture, religion and styles pervaded. They even gave the world Alchemy, but they lost control and other people took control. In todays world the english language is the number one language because the British was the last empire and they are fortunate to be. If the Greek, Roman, Germanic and the Arabic were to either be the last, the number one language would probably have been greek, latin, german or arabic. So dont come here with such sentiments. For your information, every language has a derogatory word for the people of other languages. Nairaland is replete of such descriptions or classifications with, Hausa, Igbo,Yoruba and other tongues aiming at each other. Remember without people there is no history and without history there is no geography.
Re: What Is “sub-saharan Africa” Exactly? by Nobody: 11:59am On Jul 14, 2012
This is one of the best coversations not only in Nairaland but also Africa. Nice front page post as per me.The first one hundred posts contain rare intellectual gems. Good job
Re: What Is “sub-saharan Africa” Exactly? by Naijamericana: 5:01pm On Jul 14, 2012
cog1: We, Africans,ourselves are not helping matters.
When are we going to see the establishment of mechanisms
to entrench political relevance for Africa in the scheme of things?
Take for instance,Nigeria,as a case study.
It is on record that Nigeria has made over 600billionUSD from the
50s to date,England to the best of my knowledge,stand to be corrected,
has no drillable oil.
The oil located in the North Sea with logistics and overhead cost of
Drilling from such a location practically prohibitive!
What edge has our oil given us over those who have none and are
Obviously in great demand for the product? None is the answer!
Africans themselves need to wake up,go back to the drawing board
To see where we started derailing after our independence.
By the time we get our acts right,with resources at our disposal,
who go born monkey to call us "mid" talkless of "sub"!!
For now,the "sub" show must go on!!

Even if the west gave Nigeria $1 trillion to develop itself and become more advanced it will not happen. Even if they discover gold and diamonds in addition to oil, Nigeria will still remain in its current state.
Re: What Is “sub-saharan Africa” Exactly? by Nobody: 5:02pm On Jul 14, 2012
Naijamericana:

Even if the west gave Nigeria $1 trillion to develop itself and become more advanced it will not happen. Even if they discover gold and diamonds in addition to oil, Nigeria will still remain in its current state.

Just shut up, you ignorant buffoon. Your mouth like ''its current state''. What do you know about Nigeria or its rate of progress? Where and where have you been in Nigeria in the last 5 years to know her ''current state'' or her ''previous state''? Just sit down in your America and SHARRAP. American goat.
Re: What Is “sub-saharan Africa” Exactly? by coolzeal(m): 7:32pm On Jul 14, 2012
[quote author=CAMEROONPRIDE][/quote]

Prophecy of queen Neferti of ancient Egypt(Kemet)-Then a king will come from the South, Ameny, the justified, by name Son of a woman of Ta-Seti, child of Upper Egypt. He will take the white crown, He will wear the red crown; He will join the Two Mighty Ones.. Rejoice, O people of his time, The son of man will make his name for all eternity! .. Asiatics will fall to his sword, Libyans will fall to his flame, Rebels to his wrath, traitors to his might, As the serpent on his brow subdues the rebels for him.

ALL THE ARABS OR PEOPLE IN NORTH AFRICA ARE INVADERS.. Arab came as last conquerer in Egypt for as early as 638ad.
Re: What Is “sub-saharan Africa” Exactly? by ezicat: 12:08am On Jul 15, 2012
Ahhh

I remember those days - when I would be deeply offended with the blanket description of Africa - "I'm -insert celebrity name - in a poor village in Africa..."

Helloooo - because Africa is a tiny island?

Right now, I just roll my eyes at them. Being "the society" in control is no excuse for ignorance - especially when you like to front as the most advanced civilization. Apparently, not that advanced in the social studies.

As others have pointed out - when Africa becomes a force to reckon with, the rest of the world will start taking us seriously. Heck - they might even adopt our own obviously more accurate designation of ourselves.

So - I guess it's up to each and every one of us here to contribute his/her fifty cents to the development of their corner of the continent. Otherwise, we will keep barking forever.

As for O.D.B, why aren't your sort extinct yet? Get thee behind me - sadists and cousin-f*ckers are your heroes? Yuck! There's something stuck under my shoe. Oh wait - it's you. Give me a minute to scrape you off.
Re: What Is “sub-saharan Africa” Exactly? by Tinyemeka(m): 3:19am On Jul 15, 2012
O.D.B.:

then you might as well arrange the map with the west to the north.

The concept of which part is north is in relation to how our earth spins and the axis of rotation.

stop spreading B.S.

He was talking about North-South orientation. Not North vs East/West orientation. With the earth hanging "freely" in space, who is to determine which part is top or bottom.

@ OP, I agree with you on the point of that term "sub-saharan" having a racist connotation. I'd always been bothered about the basis for which that term was derived. Looking at it closely, it seeks to divide Africa into white/arabic Africans and other black Africans.

The Sahara in comparison with the rest of Africa, is a minority, in all aspects; economy, population, landmass. So why should the rest of Africa be viewed as a subject of the Sahara? I don't know how to put this clearly in words. Why should the entire rest of Africa be defined by the Saharan part? It's like saying the rest of Africa is a minority compared to the Saharan part.

And don't tell me any story about the Saharan region being located geographically above the rest part of Africa. Cos you'll have to explain why North America is not likewise known as sub-Canadian America.

I view any black African adult who uses that term "sub-Sahran Africa", as a half-baked neo-colonialist. Simple!
Re: What Is “sub-saharan Africa” Exactly? by Tinyemeka(m): 3:29am On Jul 15, 2012
GNBohr: For your information, every language has a derogatory word for the people of other languages. Nairaland is replete of such descriptions or classifications with, Hausa, Igbo,Yoruba and other tongues aiming at each other. Remember without people there is no history and without history there is no geography.

Pally what is the meaning of "Derogatory". Is it meant for everyday use? Is it to be used in mainstream media? Think before you post.
Re: What Is “sub-saharan Africa” Exactly? by Obiagu1(m): 3:34am On Jul 15, 2012
Wahala dey oo! In America, Blacks are divided on what they should be addressed as, Blacks, African Americans, Black Americans, Africans, Negros, etc to the extent the word "black" is used carefully around AAs.

In Africa, sub-Suhara is "becoming" a problem too. How does one differentiate the rest of Africa, from North Africans who are not blacks? Should we be called Black Africans (but Africa is supposed to be a continent inhabited by Blacks) or South Africans (South Africa is already a country) or Southern Africans (Southern Africa is already a regional body in Africa) or Lower Sahara (Lower will cause a bigger trouble cheesy)?

Suggestion is needed.
Re: What Is “sub-saharan Africa” Exactly? by Obiagu1(m): 3:43am On Jul 15, 2012
For those that don't know, sub in Sub Sahara means "Below/Beneath Sahara" in the context the map of Africa is viewed.
Re: What Is “sub-saharan Africa” Exactly? by Tinyemeka(m): 7:54am On Jul 15, 2012
Obiagu1:

In Africa, sub-Suhara is "becoming" a problem too. How does one differentiate the rest of Africa, from North Africans who are not blacks?

For goodness sakes you've just done that yourself. Are they from North Africa? Then call them North Africans. Except your intention is to segregate Africans on the basis of skin colour. What then makes you different from a racist? But if that is your idea, you don't even qualify as a racist because you belong to the same group that is being segregated. Try and find out the rationale for terms and epithets before using them.
Re: What Is “sub-saharan Africa” Exactly? by Tinyemeka(m): 8:00am On Jul 15, 2012
Obiagu1: For those that don't know, sub in Sub Sahara means "Below/Beneath Sahara" in the context the map of Africa is viewed.

North America and Canada share the same land-mass. They are not separated by any geographical feature but rather by border demarcation. Niagara falls just happens to be on the border. Canada lies above the US on the map. Why isn't the US called sub-Canadian America? Why do we have North America and South America? But not North Africa when there is even a South Africa which would have made the terms more apt?

1 Like

Re: What Is “sub-saharan Africa” Exactly? by Tinyemeka(m): 8:12am On Jul 15, 2012
As for those wondering about the "Middle East" term: before North America became a world power and when Europe (specifically Britain) dominated things, the British viewed their location as the centre of the world. I'm speculating that is why they had the Greenwich meridian (being 0 deg longitude) to run through London. "Exotic" China and the rest of Asia were referred to as "Far East" on the basis of the distance and because it lied to the East of Britain. America was known as the Far West. The Arab nations lay in between Europe and the Far West. Hence the term "Middle East". This "Sub-Sahara" term was coined later when the rest of Africa began to feature in their scheme of things.

1 Like

Re: What Is “sub-saharan Africa” Exactly? by Litmus: 2:26pm On Jul 15, 2012
Its a sneaky-way of labeling us subnormal. We should never use Sub Saharan when referring to black Africa and we should call part of the so-called "Indian"-Ocean, the African-Ocean.
Re: What Is “sub-saharan Africa” Exactly? by Olaone1: 10:38pm On Jul 15, 2012
I decided to ignore this thread.
But, conclusively, some posters here missed the point.
The question is: what is sub-Saharan Africa, exactly?

We all know it has nothing to do with geography. The exclusion of Sudan from sub-Saharan Africa tells you this. They have also included South Africa. They didn't do this in those Apartheid days.

Think about how they are trying to coin a special name for Turkey in Europe. The reasons are not far-fetched.

So, guys, I would like to know: what is sub-Saharan Africa, exactly?

We only want definitions not what 'sub' means
Re: What Is “sub-saharan Africa” Exactly? by dasparrow: 2:37am On Jul 16, 2012
ezicat: Ahhh

I remember those days - when I would be deeply offended with the blanket description of Africa - "I'm -insert celebrity name - in a poor village in Africa..."

Helloooo - because Africa is a tiny island?

Right now, I just roll my eyes at them. Being "the society" in control is no excuse for ignorance - especially when you like to front as the most advanced civilization. Apparently, not that advanced in the social studies.

As others have pointed out - when Africa becomes a force to reckon with, the rest of the world will start taking us seriously. Heck - they might even adopt our own obviously more accurate designation of ourselves.

So - I guess it's up to each and every one of us here to contribute his/her fifty cents to the development of their corner of the continent. Otherwise, we will keep barking forever.

As for O.D.B, why aren't your sort extinct yet? Get thee behind me - sadists and cousin-f*ckers are your heroes? Yuck! There's something stuck under my shoe. Oh wait - it's you. Give me a minute to scrape you off.

LOL @ bolded part grin grin

Overall, well said. I agree with you.
Re: What Is “sub-saharan Africa” Exactly? by ektbear: 3:27am On Jul 16, 2012
long live sub-saharan africa
Re: What Is “sub-saharan Africa” Exactly? by SmoothCrim: 3:13am On Jul 18, 2012
ekt_bear: long live sub-saharan africa

Long LIVE AFRICA! I am West African and NOT Sub-Sahara a foolish idiotic term from the colonial era!!! West Africa NOT Sub-Sahara!!! grin grin grin cool cool cool cool cool
Re: What Is “sub-saharan Africa” Exactly? by KiKatanga: 2:50pm On Aug 09, 2012
Africa and Northern Africa, if you ask me.
From Morocco to Egypt is Arabs.
From Mali to Mombasa to Mussel Bay has one cultural continuum. Call it Sub Saharan Africa if you must, I don't care. The people here just need to work together and stop being led by the nose.

Just remember: we didn't put lines on Africa, the Sub-Scandinavian Europeans did.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

El-rufai And His Two Daughters By Femi Fani-kayode / Jonathan Threatened To Put Me In A ‘Hole’ – Oshiomhole / APC NWC Did Not Ratify Decision Of Lawan As Consensus Candidate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.