Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,892 members, 7,817,627 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:48 PM

How To Prevent Yam Discolouration - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / How To Prevent Yam Discolouration (21239 Views)

Would You Eat This Strange Looking Yam(photos) / Pictures Of A Yam That Resembles A Folded Fist / How To Prevent Fire Outbreak In Your Kitchen (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Prevent Yam Discolouration by cashoggy(f): 5:40pm On Dec 04, 2007
There are different types of yam which cannot be identified by mere look. The tubers I've bought in recent times changes from white colour to red immediately they are peeled and turn blackish afer cooking.

How can I prevent the change of color when I peel them next time? Ive tried putting them in water to no avail, Ive added salt to the water, still there was no difference cry. Does anybody have a clue to the solution?
Re: How To Prevent Yam Discolouration by omoge(f): 6:39pm On Dec 04, 2007
if you are based oversea, let me tell you what i do. when i buy my yam, i peel it right away, wash, cutĀ  them in cookable size (likeĀ  you want to cook them), and put them in clean storage bag. Then put them in the freezer.

to cook frozen yam, just put them in a pot and add little water.

that's how i keep my yam from spoiling. My mom don't froze hers (that is because we wack it all straight away)

Also try it this way. wrap your half yam with lynon/storage bag and put it in the fridge. i have done something like this. But don't keep your yam for like two weeks.
Re: How To Prevent Yam Discolouration by cashoggy(f): 8:11am On Dec 05, 2007
Thanks, Omoge. Am Naija based and I buy llike a dozen tubers at a time. I actually don't have a problem keeping them from spoiling, I handle that successfully. To prevent them from changing colour from white to red after slicing is the issue, its such a hassle, I always want that whitish/light yellow natural colour. Where are the great 'cookers' grin in the house nah?
Re: How To Prevent Yam Discolouration by chychy(f): 9:36am On Dec 05, 2007
When u peel the yam , just soak it in water (like d water u'll use to wash it - put each slice in water as u peel), it won't change colour, it has never failed me.
tongue
Re: How To Prevent Yam Discolouration by divanaija1: 9:44am On Dec 05, 2007
chychy:

When u peel the yam , just soak it in water (like d water u'll use to wash it - put each slice in water as u peel), it won't change colour, it has never failed me.
tongue

Eeeh. . .sis, undecided some change colour even under water o.I think it all depend on d type of Yam itself undecided abi?

1 Like

Re: How To Prevent Yam Discolouration by omoge(f): 4:31pm On Dec 05, 2007
The best then is to buy the amount you want to cook and cook them right away. also, Tiv yam is good.
Re: How To Prevent Yam Discolouration by cashoggy(f): 5:25pm On Dec 05, 2007
Yes, some do change colour and all the tubers I have at the moment are the 'colour-changing' type. No qualms, I just thought there would be an 'oooold woman' grin in the house who would have the solution on her finger tips. Thanks Omoge, chychy and Nija_diva.
Re: How To Prevent Yam Discolouration by tomX1(m): 12:26am On Dec 17, 2007
I belive the redish discoloration that results when yam is cut and exposed to air will have something to do with oxidation. I know it doesn't happen with every tuber so it may depend on the concentration of minerals (like iron) in the tuber. I doubt if there is any way of stoping the oxidation process. I hope some on will come up with something though.
Re: How To Prevent Yam Discolouration by Mojir(f): 10:31am On Dec 17, 2007
When u peel the yam, soak it in water immediately. Put your pot with some water on the fire, by the time the water starts boiling add the soaked yams immediately and cover with a clean cellophane. I strongly know this should reduce the blackish colour after cooking.

Cheers! But I am not an 'oooold woman'

(1) (Reply)

Nobody Goes To The Market These Days With A Budget / Times Are Really Hard For Most People / Recipe For Meatpie (naija Style)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.