Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,815 members, 7,817,364 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:01 AM

Flying From Lagos To Abuja Through London - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Flying From Lagos To Abuja Through London (12206 Views)

So There Are Nigerians That Fly From Lagos To London Then To Abuja Than Direct? / A Nairalanders Expricence From Lagos To Kano On Train In Clips / Driving From Lagos To Abuja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Flying From Lagos To Abuja Through London by BigBenoski(m): 6:57am On Jul 13, 2012
Worried by safety of local Nigerian airlines, some of the wealthy businessmen in the country are taking the unusual step of flying the 300 miles from Lagos to Abuja via London.

That’s nearly 6,000 flight miles and 12 hours on board a plane, not to mention time spent in London’s airports, to avoid a 300-mile one hour domestic flight, reports Platts newswire.

In June, a domestic Nigerian flight operated by Dana Air crashed, killing 153 people on board and highlighting safety concerns in Nigeria’s rapidly-expanding domestic airline business.

The Lagos-London-Abuja marathon is, of course, a rarity. Most travelers in Nigeria concerned with flying will either not travel or find other land-based modes of transit. Despite the small uptick in demand for Europe-Africa flights, the overall impact on jet demand has been negative.

These concerns over air safety come at a time when civil unrest in Nigeria has been high, with many attacks on high-profile targets. This, too, has taken its toll on demand for flights, both domestically and internationally.

This lack of demand has seen cargoes of jet fuel, which are imparted to West Africa to meet local demand, start to amass in floating storage. Inventories are typically held at sea with about 200,000mt on the water at a given time. But the current state of demand, weakened by flying fears, has seen the amount of fuel offshore more than double, traders estimate.

The International Air Transportation Association and the International Civil Aviation Organisation both have pledged support to Nigerian airlines to help them improve their safety records. Until that happens and confidence in local air travel returns, demand is expected to be low, and at least some travellers will be stacking up the frequent flyer miles.

http://www.businessdayonline.com/NG/index.php/news/76-hot-topic/41036--scared-wealthy-passengers-fly-from-lagos-to-abuja-through-london
Re: Flying From Lagos To Abuja Through London by BigBenoski(m): 6:59am On Jul 13, 2012
Only in naijeriaa!
Re: Flying From Lagos To Abuja Through London by Nobody: 7:31am On Jul 13, 2012
Hey, they've got the money, they've got the distrust in the Nigerian infrastructure, and they love their lives. The saying goes "If you've got it, flaunt it." Like I do with my smack-a-licious arse. grin
And "if you don't got it, flaunt it." Like most females with push-up bras. cool
Re: Flying From Lagos To Abuja Through London by BigBenoski(m): 8:09am On Jul 13, 2012
SimonAndal: Hey, they've got the money, they've got the distrust in the Nigerian infrastructure, and they love their lives. The saying goes "If you've got it, flaunt it." Like I do with my smack-a-licious arse. grin
And "if you don't got it, flaunt it." Like most females with push-up bras. cool
hehehe chics and upgrades! But come o, any technology 2 'flaunt' a 'flat screen ars' yet? I gat ds friend with an lcd ars and it worries d ars out of her

2 Likes

Re: Flying From Lagos To Abuja Through London by Kx: 8:16am On Jul 13, 2012
Unbelievable.

For the aviation experts.
Cant a chartered helicopter do Abuja -Lagos distance?

1 Like

Re: Flying From Lagos To Abuja Through London by BigBenoski(m): 8:37am On Jul 13, 2012
Kx: Unbelievable.

For the aviation experts.
Cant a chartered helicopter do Abuja -Lagos distance?
my thought exactly. With about 600k, one can even hire a helicopter for the whole day but the question is. . .are the helicopters immune to the dana syndrome??
Re: Flying From Lagos To Abuja Through London by Nobody: 9:03am On Jul 13, 2012
BigBenoski: hehehe chics and upgrades! But come o, any technology 2 'flaunt' a 'flat screen ars' yet? I gat ds friend with an lcd ars and it worries d ars out of her
_
Of course there is. Ask any Kardashian what they did to their butt. Male and female alike. grin
Re: Flying From Lagos To Abuja Through London by BigBenoski(m): 11:06am On Jul 13, 2012
SimonAndal:
_
Of course there is. Ask any Kardashian what they did to their butt. Male and female alike. grin
aha!
Re: Flying From Lagos To Abuja Through London by Afam4eva(m): 12:32pm On Jul 13, 2012
Even though it's for the safety of their lives, i think it's very stupendous. Chineke me.
Re: Flying From Lagos To Abuja Through London by inspiredm(m): 12:37pm On Jul 13, 2012
Lagos to Abuja Via Heathrow

Abuja To Port Harcourt Via Gatwick.

If you can afford that Route for a 300 miles trip, then you should afford a private Helicopter wink

1 Like

Re: Flying From Lagos To Abuja Through London by Reptyle(m): 12:46pm On Jul 13, 2012
I find it hard to believe that anyone will make such a trip. shocked
Re: Flying From Lagos To Abuja Through London by Afam4eva(m): 12:47pm On Jul 13, 2012
inspired_m: Lagos to Abuja Via Heathrow

Abuja To Port Harcourt Via Gatwick.

If you can afford that Route for a 300 miles trip, then you should afford a private Helicopter wink
Abi oo.

I wonder what they would do if they needed to get to any of these cities very urgently.
Re: Flying From Lagos To Abuja Through London by inspirenet: 12:54pm On Jul 13, 2012
afam4eva:
Abi oo.

I wonder what they would do if they needed to get to any of these cities very urgently.

Interesting

cheesy
Re: Flying From Lagos To Abuja Through London by scopusng(m): 12:54pm On Jul 13, 2012
Fool.s, at the end of the day they will all die one day.

3 Likes

Re: Flying From Lagos To Abuja Through London by sirp2007: 12:56pm On Jul 13, 2012
l believe this is mostly done by politician
Re: Flying From Lagos To Abuja Through London by Kockane(m): 12:58pm On Jul 13, 2012
I find it ridiculous and almost impossible to believe but if some "elites" actually do this, its d height of BRAINLESSNESS. Not only does it defy economic sense, d hypothetical risk of flying longer hours is much higher dan hiring a private chopper. Meeeeehn, I taya for this country. grin
Re: Flying From Lagos To Abuja Through London by Fxmarket: 12:59pm On Jul 13, 2012
I do not believe this

1 Like

Re: Flying From Lagos To Abuja Through London by Nobody: 1:00pm On Jul 13, 2012
lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
I no fit shout o!
Re: Flying From Lagos To Abuja Through London by freecocoa(f): 1:01pm On Jul 13, 2012
Blatant lie jorh.
Re: Flying From Lagos To Abuja Through London by maclatunji: 1:12pm On Jul 13, 2012
freecocoa: Blatant lie jorh.

It is possible, have you not heard of fly from Lagos to London and return to Lagos the same day?

Why do you think some of us are unforgiving in our criticism. The absurdity in this country is beyond belief.
Re: Flying From Lagos To Abuja Through London by Okijajuju1(m): 1:12pm On Jul 13, 2012
freecocoa: Blatant lie jorh.

No be small...
Re: Flying From Lagos To Abuja Through London by Nobody: 1:18pm On Jul 13, 2012
BigBenoski: my thought exactly. With about 600k, one can even hire a helicopter for the whole day but the question is. . .are the helicopters immune to the dana syndrome??
whole day ke? Na ur papa buy am? U cnt take a chopper from lag to abj.
Re: Flying From Lagos To Abuja Through London by obama4osama(m): 1:19pm On Jul 13, 2012
To whom much is given much will be required.If we (as a country) fail to do the right thing this is likely to be the result if the story is true.
Re: Flying From Lagos To Abuja Through London by freecocoa(f): 1:23pm On Jul 13, 2012
maclatunji:

It is possible, have you not heard of fly from Lagos to London and return to Lagos the same day?

Why do you think some of us are unforgiving in our criticism. The absurdity in this country is beyond belief.
That one is different na.

One can fly to London from Lagos and back the same day if such a one has something to do in London.

Telling me one would book a flight to London just because he wants to go to Abuja and avoid crash is unbelievable by me,why not just use road that is even faster than the said route?
Re: Flying From Lagos To Abuja Through London by abdulkayus(m): 1:27pm On Jul 13, 2012
Cant believe this, i dont think anybody in his right sense will do dis; Abuja to Lagos via London!!! shit happen in 9ja
Re: Flying From Lagos To Abuja Through London by sandee575(f): 1:39pm On Jul 13, 2012
If you don't trust the airlines in Nigeria for any reason, the practical option is to hire a business jet also known as corporate jet or private jet. Helicopters are not for such distances like Lagos to Abuja. They are too slow,noisy,uncomfortable and cannot attain such altitudes that keep you above en route weather. They may also need to refuel along the way during the three and a half hours flight.
Re: Flying From Lagos To Abuja Through London by DammyFx: 1:43pm On Jul 13, 2012
I'll do more to be alive
Re: Flying From Lagos To Abuja Through London by tpapi: 1:43pm On Jul 13, 2012
afam4eva: Even though it's for the safety of their lives, i think it's very stupendous. Chineke me.
go n check up d real meanin of d word stupendous
Re: Flying From Lagos To Abuja Through London by Afam4eva(m): 1:47pm On Jul 13, 2012
tpapi: go n check up d real meanin of d word stupendous
I don't know. Why don't you tell me. If you can't just shut up and scarm.
Re: Flying From Lagos To Abuja Through London by tpapi: 1:53pm On Jul 13, 2012
Travellin fm lag 2 abj thru london wil not stop a plane fm crashin if it really wants 2 crash
Re: Flying From Lagos To Abuja Through London by iykak47: 2:02pm On Jul 13, 2012
Is not the same people that go overseas to treat their headache but come back in a casket ''after a brief illness''?Anyway na too much money de cause am, after all na person wey get extra money dey buy p ussy cat.

1 Like

Re: Flying From Lagos To Abuja Through London by Reference(m): 2:02pm On Jul 13, 2012
And then when you come in to land at Abuja and the light goes out, you may be lucky not to be diverted to Lagos. Or in more serious scenarios experience a near miss incident with patrol vehicles, construction equipment or a herd of cattle as some foreign airlines have reported over the years.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Study Or Work Visa, Which One Should He Go For? / Lagos - London - Denver - London - Dubai - London - Lagos / Kaduna State Launches Traveller Information Website – Travelthrukaduna

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.