Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,617 members, 7,823,701 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 01:35 PM

The burning cold - Literature (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The burning cold (47261 Views)

Story:lost In A Cold World(an Emotional Story) / Jos, December And Cold. / UNYIME-IVY KING – “burning Hurt” Akwa Ibom’s Bestfemale Literary Fiction Writer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The burning cold by Nobody: 9:43am On Nov 24, 2012
Mynd_44:
Don't edit my posts na I meant the MYND. Seriously, sometime I feel like updating and my mind just get empty.

tongue i like the pun. anyway, just try sha, e no easy. but no waste too much time so we dont have to read the previous update to keep in touch. . .
Re: The burning cold by Mynd44: 9:47am On Nov 24, 2012
brokoto: tongue i like the pun. anyway, just try sha, e no easy. but no waste too much time so we dont have to read the previous update to keep in touch. . .
Sure thing
Re: The burning cold by Mynd44: 3:23pm On Nov 26, 2012
I wanna try something new right now. Typing in the afternoon and with my phone. Lets see how it goes.
Re: The burning cold by Mynd44: 4:13pm On Nov 26, 2012
So I just took all that happenend that morning, went into the kitchen and fixed me some breakfast. Dang!! My mum was the definition of kill joy.

The next months rolled by without much issues. Chidinma did not greet me again as I just could not find it in me to go say hi(not after she told the whole neighbourhood I frove after a kiss), Mum carried on like we were normal( are we not?) and life was just good. I sat for the next matriculations exams and I passed. Passed well infact.

I did remember that thoughout my life, mum prevented me from going to burial ceremonies and stopped me from visiting people who were really sick the reason, I did not know then until time came for me to be enrolled in the university.

I wanted to attend a private university because moet people in the area were but mum would not hear of it. Not becayse of funds, she just did not explain and when I was admitted to study mechanical Engineering in a south western state university, she was actually happy.

I can remember when I printed my admission letter she called me aside and said a prayer with me. A prayer to commit me into the hands of the One she served.
The one she calls the Lord of Darkness

when we were done with the prayers which mostly was about my protection, guidance, and purification, I expressed some of my worries

" mum, why do you pray for my protection? You are a powerful fiend, your Lord too is powerful so why pray?"

she made me sit down and just like months ago, schooled me.

"Son, remember I told you that the one I serve also has elementals who will like to yake his place right?"

I nodded

"well, they are always to break his ranks. They try to attack his followers and those who serve him in the hope of making him weak. I am beyound what anything shory of a powerful elemental can touch but you are my weakness"

"but mum, how come they have not attacked me since?"

Her face was turning pale as the truth was begining to come out

"Son, as long as you remain under my roof, my strenght runs through you, you are like a lirrle chick and I the mother hen. Nothing can come for you while with me but where you are going is a different story"

I stood up in protest
"I dont want to go then. I will stay here with you abd you can protect me like you always have. I will work on going to a school here and you don't have to worry"

she feign a smile

"Son, you must realise that you have to to be you now. You are becoming a man and you have to be strong and learn your ways. Your master will calling for you soon, and it's best you are already dependent then"

"my master? You mean the reaper right?"

I had not had any visions, any summons from Him in almost six months.

"mum, don't you think he has forgotten me? Maybe he does not need me anymore mum. You don't have to let me go"

She looked at me still faking a smile

"Son, masters never forget. He will call you when he needs you and until then, you must live your life and continue living. Don't be scared as even though you won't be under me, you can still call me"

I let out a very large volume of air I was holding in my lungs

"sure mum, I will call you on phone always"

"no son, not through the phone, if you need me, just call my name and I will be there to talk"

"how ma?" was my reply

"Every creature human or minion has a name they answer to. A name only them have and share with no one. A name some don't even know exist. When you need me, just call my name and I will be with you. Not in physical, but there to talk and advice you. But I must warn you though. You must not tell anyone this name as it can be used to bind the bearer when in the wrong hands"

she moves closer to me and whispers it to me slowly(I am not going to tell you here. Dont want you dong crazy stuffs on your own)

"So when I need you, I just go somewere private and out of the sun, say the name and you will appear?"

"yes son, I will"

I got up and a questioned came to me

"ma, you said every creature has its own name, what's mine?"

she looked up at me and shook her head

"names are a secret thing, for anyone who know another's name can do anything with it. I dont know your's. You master does thought. That's what he calls you with"

"He calls me by my name mum" i stood confused

"That's what it always sound like. But in the tongue of the caller, it is something else"...

The dats ahead were hectic, shopping list, books, clothing appropiate for school( we are mandated to wear jeans and boots) and all sorts of school sorts went.

I had travelled to the school for a weekend to secure an appartment and submit the forms I could not submit by post and I founf it interesting there. The town seemed a bit old but the presence of the school made it crowded. A mixture of the new generation and the old one

2 Likes

Re: The burning cold by Mynd44: 4:29pm On Nov 26, 2012
I learnt about the town, it had a lot of hills and more hills. Infacy, there was no straight roads. I got a place off campus(school does that for you if you want) and I checked it out, bought a couple of essentials but did not sleep there. Wanted to sleep there went I am fully moved in.

The date for resumption came close and I always expected mum to go with me since my matricluations will be a day before but she said she had "stuff to handle".

I went alone about three nights before the matric just to see the town well, I was blad to be on my own but sad cos mum was not there. My first night, I was tempted to call her usong her name but she has warned me never to use it unless absolutely neccessary so I sucked it in. I was becoming a man and it's time I left mum alone. In my 3 days before matriculations, I made some friends, 2 to be precise. They live in my street and since we were all new, we just connected and we went to matric together.

The whole matric day was great, we were shown around the school, met the senior students and recited our oaths. We were warned about bad company and cults(imagine warning me about cults. Laughable) and were also told about a dinner to be held by NUESA(national association of engineering students association) for the new students.

Among my new friends, I was the only one in engineering so I went alone. The dinner went well and when I was heading home, something happened that I was not ready for.

Th etown sleeps early as by 9pm, everyone is tucked in and I was on my way home around 10. There was no one on the road but me and no cars but that could me and I just walked happy for a great day and night when I saw a shadow float in the corner of my eye...............

3 Likes

Re: The burning cold by dubem3(m): 6:36pm On Nov 26, 2012
ThosThis is not a very good place to stop.
You know the right thing, just do it...
Besides, this was good
Re: The burning cold by Mynd44: 6:39pm On Nov 26, 2012
dubem3: ThosThis is not a very good place to stop.
You know the right thing, just do it...
Besides, this was good
thanks
Re: The burning cold by ijebabe: 7:17pm On Nov 26, 2012
I guess the master didn't forget you after allcheesy
Re: The burning cold by Ice4jez(m): 7:54pm On Nov 26, 2012
i promise not to read this thread for one week becos this young man is a good writer but un fortunately dont know dat keep pple waiting dont put smiles on our faces.guy i salute u n may ur ink neva run dry
Re: The burning cold by Mynd44: 8:14pm On Nov 26, 2012
ijebabe: I guess the master didn't forget you after allcheesy
I guess
Re: The burning cold by Mynd44: 8:16pm On Nov 26, 2012
Ice4jez: i promise not to read this thread for one week becos this young man is a good writer but un fortunately dont know dat keep pple waiting dont put smiles on our faces.guy i salute u n may ur ink neva run dry

I get but you are not encouraging me at all guy.

You said you enjoy it but no likes? I am a writer na, I need to appreciated so I can be motivated and you will end up captivated.

But seriously, I wanted y'all to have a good story, so I needed the time. I will update tonight again tonight just to say sorry to everyone.

But where are the likes na.

**forming anger**

2 Likes

Re: The burning cold by IZUKWU(m): 10:03pm On Nov 26, 2012
Antelope, good work. Am waiting for the next upload. May your ink never run dry!
Re: The burning cold by Goldieluks: 10:06pm On Nov 26, 2012
Amiiin...
Re: The burning cold by Mynd44: 10:09pm On Nov 26, 2012
Hmm
Re: The burning cold by Goldieluks: 10:15pm On Nov 26, 2012
angry
Re: The burning cold by Mynd44: 10:19pm On Nov 26, 2012
Madam, how market na?
Re: The burning cold by Goldieluks: 10:23pm On Nov 26, 2012
Market set. Hope your market dey move?
Re: The burning cold by UjSizzle(f): 10:29pm On Nov 26, 2012
Silly me thinking I've missed so much. For once I'm glad u ain't so consistent with your updates grin.
I liked it by the way, no time to hit the 'like' button.
Now if you don't mind post what's next before I'm up tomorrow; I'm guessing it was the usurpers grin
Re: The burning cold by Mynd44: 10:34pm On Nov 26, 2012
uj_sizzle: Silly me thinking I've missed so much. For once I'm glad u ain't so consistent with your updates grin.
I liked it by the way, no time to hit the 'like' button.
Now if you don't mind post what's next before I'm up tomorrow; I'm guessing it was the usurpers grin
Uh?

You are in for a treat I swear when the networks improves, I will start typing
Re: The burning cold by Mynd44: 10:36pm On Nov 26, 2012
Goldieluks: Market set. Hope your market dey move?
As you can see, it i moving
Re: The burning cold by Ice4jez(m): 10:54pm On Nov 26, 2012
iits true oh i forgot to like.but come na my fault when u self just dey put sugar n honey join for us.we just chop forget to clean hand
Re: The burning cold by Mynd44: 10:58pm On Nov 26, 2012
Ice4jez: iits true oh i forgot to like.but come na my fault when u self just dey put sugar n honey join for us.we just chop forget to clean hand
No problem bro.
Re: The burning cold by Mynd44: 1:02am On Nov 27, 2012
In the words of Lil Wayne, "I'm going in" I am really sleepy right now and I sleep while typing, not my fault.
Re: The burning cold by Mynd44: 1:36am On Nov 27, 2012
Can't check for errors, tired
Re: The burning cold by Nobody: 6:33am On Nov 27, 2012
Mynd_44: Can't check for errors, tired
better check o. the typos too much. since you used a phone this time, i suggest when next you wanna try it use it in T9 mode. that way it will be easier to detect the errors. nice piece though grin grin
Re: The burning cold by Mynd44: 6:39am On Nov 27, 2012
OMG!!!!

I typed around 2am na, I was so tored, it did not post it well
Re: The burning cold by Nobody: 6:48am On Nov 27, 2012
Mynd_44: OMG!!!!

I typed around 2am na, I was so tired, i did not post it well
Mynd_44: I wanna try something new right now. Typing in the afternoon and with my phone. Lets see how it goes.
undecided undecided undecided
Re: The burning cold by Mynd44: 6:52am On Nov 27, 2012
brokoto: undecided undecided undecided
I did that yesterday afternoon. But I made an undate this morning too. I just can't find it
Re: The burning cold by Nobody: 6:58am On Nov 27, 2012
Mynd_44:
I did that yesterday afternoon. But I made an update this morning too. I just can't find it
really? ask Cuddlemii lipsrsealed lipsrsealed by the way, the way you described the school, it sounded like UNN o cheesy
Re: The burning cold by Mynd44: 7:06am On Nov 27, 2012
brokoto: really? ask Cuddlemii lipsrsealed lipsrsealed by the way, the way you described the school, it sounded like UNN o cheesy

all resemblance to real life events and people is simply a coincidence
Re: The burning cold by Nobody: 7:53am On Nov 27, 2012
Mynd_44:

all resemblance to real life events and people is simply a coincidence
lol. Ok o.
Re: The burning cold by Mynd44: 9:14am On Nov 27, 2012
I stopped. Frozen and rooted to the spot where I stood as I carefully looked around to make sure I really saw what I thought I saw. I did not take alchohol at the dinner so I can't be seeing things. Also there was no cold, no dark clouds, so I felt I was probably imagining things.

I brought out my little key holder which had a flash light attached with it and switched on the light. I was now past where I could call a living neighbour as the linking road from my this street and mine had a plaintain and oil palm plantation. Nothing on either side of the road except tall dark and normally scary trees(me scared? Lai lai).

I was mid way through the bend when I heard a little rustle beside me. The sound made me jump. I had my mum's name on my lips already. I directed the light to where the sound came from and I saw a little cat there. It's eyes shone like the moon and was halved. It did not seem to notice my presence or did not care. The light did not even seem to bother it.

I smiled and remembered whay why my mum hates cats

"no matter how much you feed them, they never grow big. Just that silly size, a dog is better because when fed well, you will see the food work" she had said to our neighbour once

i made to look away from the cat an continue on my way home but immediately I looked up, I was shocked. I found myself looking into the face of someone/somethin that can only be described to come from a Stephen King novel. Its face so black and dark, it blended with the night, the eyes were green and you could see teeth come out to fangs. Hair grew on the head but sparingly as though they fell off. It looked frail but deadly

My mother's name did not come to my head, the first reaction I had was typical to most humans Flight.

I turned to run and when I turned, I saw the another one right behind me looking into my eyes as though it wanted to soul gaze I looked away from it's eyes and tried to call mother but nothing came from my mouth.

My mouth felt like all the wind had been taken out of it. I throat was soar and I could not move my tongue. I heard the first one( behing me) laugh and spoke a word and I was in the air floating. They floated beside me and into the plaintain trees.

Before long, I dropped into a little clearing amidst the trees. I tried getting up and running but no. I was paralysed I could not move or talk. Now for the first time since I saw my mother and those events, I was scared. Fear crept into my body and made me cringe.

The floor was wet from dew and everywhere was quiet too quiet no insect chipped just the night. Then I heard voices like they are arguing. Voices which spoke in a strange language which for some reason, I understood.

"The food is her my mistress"

"we have to wait for the other to come before we feed"

"but I am hungry, since we fell, I have not had any food"

"we don't have to wait longer, the other's are here"

I began to make simmilar creatures float into the gathering as greeting was exchanged. And now, they were 5 and in the little light, I saw that they were human. Witches. But why they looked that way was beyond me.

A little sound in the bush around made me look to my left and I saw the blasted cat. The same one that made me lose focus of the road and took my mum's name off my mind. One of them picked it up and dug her hands into its back as the cat purred.

"A male voice among them called, Good work. Now we can feed in a long while. But where did you find him?"

"We saw him roaming the road on our doors"

"I hope he is not a local. You know we can't touch locals"

"he does not smell like on my Lord, then lets eat"

They gathered around me and streched they hands towards me as pain reverbrated throughout my body and brains. I closed my eyes and tried with all my mind to speak out but it was no use.

I felt as if someone was stabbing me all over my body and the pains were with me. I opened my eyes and they all had their eyes closed, their faces beaming with some sort of satifaction when a massive bolt of lightning came from the sky............

The light was so bright, I could have swore the whole neighbourhood will see it. At first I thought it was part of their rights until I noticed them rounded up in one spot and looking into that same light that I was looking into.

A voice beamed through the light as though it was the one speaking. The night was filled with a sort of charged energy and I remember I felt that energy somewhere. I remembered my fight in class and I knew this was the same strenght that came then.

A figure appeared through the light as the light dimmed off and a man appeared just standing there. His was tall and thin but his body showed power and authority.

Around his neck was a necklace with an owl pendant and his hands were clenched as though he was getting ready for a fist fight.

Then his voice filled my head

"Who dares touches a servant of the Reaper?"

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (22) (Reply)

Blind Love / Mercy Said No! - A Christian Romance Story / Chimamanda Adichie And Her Husband Welcomed A Daughter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.