Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,716 members, 7,809,711 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:46 PM

South Sudan Begs Nigeria Police For Training - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / South Sudan Begs Nigeria Police For Training (25392 Views)

INEC Agent, Dan Joko, Arrested By Police For Collecting Money To Rig Election / EU Begs Nigeria To Sign Trade Deal / US Begs Nigeria For Help To Contain Ebola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

South Sudan Begs Nigeria Police For Training by Dejiro(m): 6:23pm On Jul 14, 2012
…As officers record huge success, bag UN Medals in Sudan
South Sudan Police authorities has pleaded with the Nigeria Police Force to urgently come to their aid in the area of training of their own manpower and capacity building especially as they have seen from the performances of the Nigeria Police contingent in the newly independent country, that Nigeria Police officers are ‘top class’ comparable to those in Europe and other advanced countries.

Deputy Inspector General of South Sudan , Lt. General Gordon Micah Kur Luala who made the plea when he received the Assistant Inspector General of Police, Mamman Ibrahim Tsafe; representative of Nigeria Police IGP, Mohammed Abubakar, during a courtesy call on the South Sudan Police headquarters in Juba, disclosed that among many challenges facing the country’s Police force, they were yet to be fully professionalized.

“We want to say, we are watchful and impressed with the performance of the Nigerian Police Contingent under UNMISS. They are well kitted, alert at all times and command respect. We expect a lot from nations like Nigeria who have passed through some of the difficulties we are facing now and have much experience like you.

AIG Mamman Tsafe with Mrs Hilda Johnson , SRSG for UN Mission with Nigeria Police officers.
“Already, South Sudan is rich in men and human resources but we are lacking in many aspects. These includes; shortcoming in the area of Legal Affairs amongst others. Our Police need to know more about judiciary practices as it concerns the rule of law and its application to not only South Sudanese citizens but foreigners as well”.

Explaining further, Gen. Kur Luala said, “a major challenge facing us is that our Police personnel is composed of elements who were not originally policemen. Some of them came from the army, some from the militia groups, and some from remnants of the former Sudan Police Force. The greater percentages of them are not educated or trained.

“What we are after, which we have tried to lay down in our policy is that we want our police transformed. To achieve this, we want training opportunities, a workable social welfare system in place, a proper police structure including a CID for investigations, a correction center, a proper civil service and a viable intelligence branch”.

Responding to the plea, Assistant Inspector General of Police, Zone 2, Maman Tsafe expressed understanding with the situation the South Sudanese has found itself noting that he was sent to Juba by Nigeria’s IG because he (MD Abubakar) appreciated the need to support the Sudanese in anyway he can.

He told the Sudanese Deputy IG that his observations about the Nigeria Police Contingent was made possible by the IGP of Nigeria because of his belief that a properly kitted and motivated Policeman is already primed to face difficult challenges and succeed. He promised to convey other requests of the Sudanese to the Nigerian IG for consideration.

At the office of the Deputy Special Representative of the Secretary General, Political (D-SRSG), Raisedon Zenenga, AIG Tsafe was told that the UN is very appreciative of the contributions of the Nigerian Police force to UN peacekeeping, not only in South-Sudan, but other missions.

He pointed out that the performances of the Nigerian Police contingents in Liberia, Congo, Darfur, Sierra Leone, Haiti, East Timor, among others, are well documented and a reference point in peacekeeping.

Mr. Zenenga specifically requested AIG Tsafe to take the message home that for South Sudan in particular, there was need for Nigeria to help the new country build key institutions of governance which are presently in short supply. “These, according to him include; teachers for schools, organizing the judicial system, helping out in correctional and Prisons system, Immigration, Civil Service, and other specialized fields like tailoring, carpentry, farming, etc.

The visit of the AIG to South Sudan Police HQ followed the presentation of UN medals to 34 Nigerian Police Officers who made the country proud in the performance of their duties as mandated, with the Special Representative of the UN Secretary General, hailing Nigeria’s undisputable contribution to peace and orderliness in the new independent nation.

The commendation of the SRSG came with AIG Mamman Ibrahim Tsafe promising the UN authorities that more dedicated and selfless performance should be expected from Nigerian police peacekeepers under the MD Abubakar (IG) administration.

While congratulating the recipients for making the nation in general and the Nigeria police proud with the performance, AIG Tsafe said, “It shows that you have been disciplined and hardworking officers, that you have been worthy ambassadors of our great nation. I am proud of you, the IG is proud of you and I am sure the UN is proud of you.

Nigerians are proud of you.
“As for the medals you are getting today, I want you to start wearing them right here in South Sudan. Bring them back home at the end of your tour of duty and wear them proudly because you have worked for them, you have earned them and they are yours. It is not every officer than can be blessed with this honor and opportunity”.

At a very colorful ceremony witnessed by the Force Commander of UNMISS, Nigeria’s Major General Moses Obi, the UN Police Commissioner, Dr. Fredrick Yiga and the Consul-General of Nigerian mission in South Sudan, Dangiwa Kumba Gideon, the SRSG said the UN was particularly impressed with the Nigeria Police contingent because their expertise have been brought to bear in the areas of investigation, administration, community policing and building capacity where the South Sudanese Police was really lacking.

Furthermore, the SRSG expressed profound appreciation to the Inspector General of Police of Nigeria for deeming it fit to send a very senior officer in the person of AIG Tsafe to witness the medal parade noting that it showed the very high esteem with which the Police leadership held its personnel, attributing it to the very high standards in return of the officers.

In his remarks, Force Commander of UNMISS, General Moses Obi expressed satisfaction with the performance of the Nigerian Police officers noting that they have done very well in their roles as Staff Officers of the various deployments, Liaison officers, Advisers and Trainers which, he said, has in no small measure helped to build capacity.

The UN Police Commissioner in charge of UNPOL, Dr. Yiga noted also that the Nigerian Police Contingent’s contribution is highly appreciated especially against the backdrop that the team are given very difficult assignments and deployed to remote and difficult terrains.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/07/south-sudan-begs-nigeria-police-for-training/

3 Likes

Re: South Sudan Begs Nigeria Police For Training by Joel3(m): 6:40pm On Jul 14, 2012
Are they dreaming? Nigerian police who couldn't protect life and property. Clueless corrupt and the higheist order in the whole solar system. Nonsense

3 Likes

Re: South Sudan Begs Nigeria Police For Training by Nobody: 6:41pm On Jul 14, 2012
This is why I say that Nigerians greatly underestimate what they have in their country. The Nigerian police are actually very well trained. If we can only pay them a decent wage and offer them decent working conditions, we'll find that they are comparable to the best anywhere in the world. Instead they are left to depend on stuff like extortion of drivers etc, to make up for their income shortfall. The reason they always display their best in places like South Sudan and wherever they're posted in the world, is that they are well renumerated there, so their best comes out.

15 Likes

Re: South Sudan Begs Nigeria Police For Training by Afam4eva(m): 6:42pm On Jul 14, 2012
Ha ha ha...they should better look elsewhere if they don't want to destroy their country. I don't know why some countries still believe in the capability of Nigeria. Don't they read the news.

4 Likes

Re: South Sudan Begs Nigeria Police For Training by Nobody: 6:45pm On Jul 14, 2012
Joel.:
Are they dreaming? Nigerian police who couldn't protect life and property. Clueless corrupt and the higheist order in the whole solar system. Nonsense

If they can't protect life and property how come a goat like you is still walking around free all these years in Nigeria? Without those thousands of Nigerian policemen patrolling the streets and engaging in gunfights with robbers, at risk to their lives (and thousands of police have died in the process, ie given their lives to an ingrate like you) nobody could do anything in Nigeria today, especially given the income inequality. So thank your lucky stars for the Nigerian Police.

12 Likes

Re: South Sudan Begs Nigeria Police For Training by Nobody: 6:46pm On Jul 14, 2012
afam4eva: Ha ha ha...they should better look elsewhere if they don't want to destroy their country. I don't know why some countries still believe in the capability of Nigeria. Don't they read the news.

They believe in the capability of Nigeria because they have brains and do not depend on ''the news'' for their information, but on actual research and observation.

7 Likes

Re: South Sudan Begs Nigeria Police For Training by Afam4eva(m): 6:48pm On Jul 14, 2012
ROSSIKE:

They believe in the capability of Nigeria because they have brains and do not depend on ''the news'' for their information, but on actual research and observation.
I want to believe that you're a police man, that's why you're being delusional. is it now rocket science that the Nigerian police sucks?

4 Likes

Re: South Sudan Begs Nigeria Police For Training by Nobody: 6:49pm On Jul 14, 2012
^^^Do you know how many Nigerian policemen die every year protecting you?

Do you care?

Do you know how much they are paid?

Do you care?

15 Likes

Re: South Sudan Begs Nigeria Police For Training by Afam4eva(m): 6:51pm On Jul 14, 2012
ROSSIKE:

Do you know how many Nigerian policemen die every year protecting you?

Do you care?
Do you know how many Nigerians have lost their lives to the police?

41 Likes

Re: South Sudan Begs Nigeria Police For Training by Nobody: 6:54pm On Jul 14, 2012
No tell us.

To my knowledge, the overwhelming majority of them were armed robbers killed in gunfights.

3 Likes

Re: South Sudan Begs Nigeria Police For Training by Afam4eva(m): 6:56pm On Jul 14, 2012
ROSSIKE: No. Tell us.
I'm not here to joke with you. I'm just belaboring on popular wisdom in Nigeria. So, i don't know where you're basing your argument on.
Re: South Sudan Begs Nigeria Police For Training by Nobody: 6:58pm On Jul 14, 2012
''Popular wisdom in Nigeria'' can never be a barometer for intelligent views on anything.

The same people that will tell you the police are useless are the same people that will rush to call the police the minute they encounter the slightest problem. Why don't they call their fathers instead?

10 Likes

Re: South Sudan Begs Nigeria Police For Training by Afam4eva(m): 6:59pm On Jul 14, 2012
ROSSIKE: ''Popular wisdom in Nigeria'' can never be a barometer for intelligent views on anything.
So, i guess popular wisdom in Sudan is?
Re: South Sudan Begs Nigeria Police For Training by Nobody: 7:00pm On Jul 14, 2012
afam4eva:
So, i guess popular wisdom in Sudan is?

The Sudanese public don't know much about the Nigerian police. But the Sudanese authorities do, and they can see that they do not have what WE have, ie a well-trained police force.
Re: South Sudan Begs Nigeria Police For Training by alaoeri: 7:06pm On Jul 14, 2012
ROSSIKE:

So u telling us nigerian police are well trained, let's be realistic nigerian police maybe better than that of south sudan bcuz its a new country but to say 9ja police are well trained is an overstatement.

1 Like

Re: South Sudan Begs Nigeria Police For Training by Nobody: 7:10pm On Jul 14, 2012
ROSSIKE must have drank 10 glasses of emu for breakfast.

Are you in Nigeria?

6 Likes

Re: South Sudan Begs Nigeria Police For Training by Nobody: 7:15pm On Jul 14, 2012
alaoeri:
So u telling us nigerian police are well trained, let's be realistic nigerian police maybe better than that of south sudan bcuz its a new country but to say 9ja police are well trained is an overstatement.

So why did South Sudan not beg Sierra Leonean police to come and train them?

Or Ghana police? Shebi you people keep saying that Ghana is 100 times better than Nigeria? Why are they not rushing to GHANA to train their police? Why not Guinea, or Mali, or Kenya? Or Ethiopia? Or Uganda?

WHY NIGERIA?

I repeat, we are our own worst enemies because we fail to recognise what we have in this country. Sure the police is not perfect, but in terms of training and ability, very few in Africa can match it.

19 Likes

Re: South Sudan Begs Nigeria Police For Training by Nobody: 7:15pm On Jul 14, 2012
Ileke-IdI:
ROSSIKE must have drank 10 glasses of emu for breakfast.

Are you in Nigeria?

ANSWER THE QUESTION I POSED AND STOP TALKING RUBBISH. Why have they not approached Ghana police to train them?

Nonsense.

5 Likes

Re: South Sudan Begs Nigeria Police For Training by Afam4eva(m): 7:16pm On Jul 14, 2012
ROSSIKE:

So why did South Sudan not beg Sierra Leonean police to come and train them?

Or Ghana police? Shebi you people keep saying that Ghana is 100 times better than Nigeria? Why are they not rushing to GHANA to train their police? Why not Guinea, or Mali, or Kenya? Or Ethiopia? Or Uganda?

WHY NIGERIA?

I repeat, we are our own worst enemies because we fail to recognise what we have in this country. Sure the police is not perfect, but in terms of training and ability, very few in Africa can match it.

Their decision to come to Nigeria cannot be far from the fact that despite Nigeria's abysmal failure in leadership, most African countries still see Nigeria as the Giant of Africa.

3 Likes

Re: South Sudan Begs Nigeria Police For Training by Nobody: 7:18pm On Jul 14, 2012
ROSSIKE:

ANSWER THE QUESTION I POSED AND STOP TALKING RUBBISH. Why have they not approached Ghana police to train them?

Nonsense.

I only asked if you were in Nigeria. No need to get aggressive.

Approaching Nigeria does not necessarily devalue Ghana's police force. We all know that Nigeria's police force is embebed with corruption and they're psychologically inept to carry out their duties.

1 Like

Re: South Sudan Begs Nigeria Police For Training by Nobody: 7:19pm On Jul 14, 2012
afam4eva:
Their decision to come to Nigeria cannot be far from the fact that despite Nigeria's abysmal failure in leadership, most African countries still see Nigeria as the Giant of Africa.

ABEG FORGET THAT CRAP. You think they are blind? Or stu.pid? Is that your excuse? Please come correct or stay out. ''Abysmal failure in leadership'' blah blah blah, yet you can stand up now and comfortably enter your ride and go anywhere you want to go without anybody hassling you, and sleep at night safely without any yawa coming your way. You think all that just happened by accident??

1 Like

Re: South Sudan Begs Nigeria Police For Training by Nobody: 7:21pm On Jul 14, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

I only asked if you were in Nigeria. No need to get aggressive.

Approaching Nigeria does not necessarily devalue Ghana's police force. We all know that Nigeria's police force is embebed with corruption and they're psychologically inept to carry out their duties.

So why don't you call your FATHER when there's a problem in your neighbourhood? Why do you rush to call the ''psychologically inept useless corrupt police'' or whatever big grammar you're typing?

2 Likes

Re: South Sudan Begs Nigeria Police For Training by Dejiro(m): 7:21pm On Jul 14, 2012
“Nigeria Police officers are ‘top class’ comparable to those in Europe and other advanced countries”
“we are watchful and impressed with the performance of the Nigerian Police Contingent under UNMISS”
“the SRSG said the UN was particularly impressed with the Nigeria Police contingent because their expertise have been brought to bear in the areas of investigation, administration, community policing and building capacity where the South Sudanese Police was really lacking.”

These are the some of the observations and accolades, I think this is impressive.

1 Like

Re: South Sudan Begs Nigeria Police For Training by Nobody: 7:29pm On Jul 14, 2012
ROSSIKE:

So why don't you call your FATHER when there's a problem in your neighbopurhood? Why do you rush to call the ''psychologically inept useless corrupt police'' or whatever big grammar you're typing?

You need to calm down with your aggression. If I'm unfortunate enough to be robbed, Nigerian police would be the last people on my mind. Part of a police training is testing their psychological stability. Those are big grammars? rotflmao.

Nigeria does not have psychological aptitude test, do they?

US - MMPII-2 test
UK - PIRT
China, indonesia etc.

Unless I'm mistaken that NIgeria does not have it's own version of psychological testing, please correct me.
Re: South Sudan Begs Nigeria Police For Training by Joel3(m): 7:50pm On Jul 14, 2012
ROSSIKE:

If they can't protect life and property how come a goat like you is still walking around free all these years in Nigeria? Without those thousands of Nigerian policemen patrolling the streets and engaging in gunfights with robbers, at risk to their lives (and thousands of police have died in the process, ie given their lives to an ingrate like you) nobody could do anything in Nigeria today, especially given the income inequality. So thank your lucky stars for the Nigerian Police.
i believe u are either a police officer or a paid agent, how do u compare nigeria police? I tell u nigeria would ve been better of, if there were no police at all. The removel of police from the high ways has drastically reduce crime. No body make a complaint nowaday to the police, becos they are all after what u can offer. Nonsense

1 Like

Re: South Sudan Begs Nigeria Police For Training by Nobody: 7:51pm On Jul 14, 2012
Joel.:
[b]i believe u are either a police officer [/b]or a paid agent, how do u compare nigeria police? I tell u nigeria would ve been better of if there well no police at all. The removel of police from the high has drastically reduce crime. No body make a complaint nowaday to the police, becos they are after what u can offer. Nonsense

That's what I thought.

1 Like

Re: South Sudan Begs Nigeria Police For Training by Joel3(m): 7:59pm On Jul 14, 2012
The south sudan ve to run fast before they teach them acidental discharge, ontop of the situation when things are happening under the situation.

2 Likes

Re: South Sudan Begs Nigeria Police For Training by Nobody: 8:01pm On Jul 14, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

You need to calm down with your aggression.

Why should I calm down? Don't come in here thoughtlessly denigrating our institutions and telling us to calm down.

If I'm unfortunate enough to be robbed, Nigerian police would be the last people on my mind.

I'LL BELIEVE IT WHEN I SEE IT. TALK IS CHEAP.

Part of a police training is testing their psychological stability. Those are big grammars? rotflmao.

Nigeria does not have psychological aptitude test, do they?

US - MMPII-2 test
UK - PIRT
China, indonesia etc.

Unless I'm mistaken that NIgeria does not have it's own version of psychological testing, please correct me.

You should know, since you claim to know they are not well trained.
Re: South Sudan Begs Nigeria Police For Training by Nobody: 8:02pm On Jul 14, 2012
ROSSIKE:

Why should I calm down? Don't come in here thoughtlessly denigrating our institutions and telling us to calm down.

I'LL BELIEVE IT WHEN I SEE IT. TALK IS CHEAP.

You should know, since you claim to know they are not well trained.

Okay, since competent discussion is out of your league, then answer my question. Are you a NIgerian police officer?
Re: South Sudan Begs Nigeria Police For Training by otokx(m): 8:03pm On Jul 14, 2012
Are they ready to pay in dollars or barrels of crude oil?
Re: South Sudan Begs Nigeria Police For Training by Nobody: 8:08pm On Jul 14, 2012
Joel.:
i believe u are either a police officer or a paid agent, how do u compare nigeria police? I tell u nigeria would ve been better of, if there were no police at all.

TALK IS CHEAP. You can live freely in an unequal society like Nigeria today ONLY because of all those police patrolling the streets. If they were all withdrawn, there would be nothing between you and the millions of potential robbers looking to take all you have and WASTE YOU. Do you have a gun? If you think it's that your stup.id gate or fence that is protecting you from men of the underworld, better think again.

The removel of police from the high ways has drastically reduce crime. Nonsense

More brainlessness. The police have only changed tactics to what's called intelligent policing, ie a more sophisticated form of policing in which individual areas are strategically mapped out in blocks for constant patrols/surveillance etc etc, a system which came to be seen as more efficient in tackling robbers than static roadblocks. Right now where you are sitting in ignorance is only safe because of that policing method being employed.

3 Likes

Re: South Sudan Begs Nigeria Police For Training by Nobody: 8:17pm On Jul 14, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

Okay, since competent discussion is out of your league, then answer my question. Are you a NIgerian police officer?

No I'm not. But I know enough about the police and their operations to understand that without them, nobody in Nigeria could sleep tonight with two eyes closed. Hope your incompetent brain can decipher that.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Recent Nigerian Politics In Funny Meme Collections / Atiku Gets 55 Cartons Of Documents From INEC, Closes Case / 20,000 APC, NNPP Members Dump Parties, Defect To PDP In Katsina (Pix)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.