Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,341 members, 7,811,991 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:10 AM

Sabbath Day : Saturday Or Sunday? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Sabbath Day : Saturday Or Sunday? (1047 Views)

Which Is The True Sabbath Day: Saturday Or Sunday? / What Is The True Sabbath Day, Saturday Or Sunday? / What Is The Right Day To Go To Church: Saturday Or Sunday? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sabbath Day : Saturday Or Sunday? by ambrosini593(m): 2:15pm On Jul 15, 2012
This question have been a major concern to me. Was it on Saturday or Sunday God rested. Some churches go to church on Saturday as their Sabbath day. For examples, Seven Day Adventist and others. Even in Israel they observe Saturday as their Sabbath day. Which of them is the right day?
Re: Sabbath Day : Saturday Or Sunday? by Delafruita(m): 2:34pm On Jul 15, 2012
ambrosini593: This question have been a major concern to me. Was it on Saturday or Sunday God rested. Some churches go to church on Saturday as their Sabbath day. For examples, Seven Day Adventist and others. Even in Israel they observe Saturday as their Sabbath day. Which of them is the right day?
saturday.pope sylvester changed it to sunday in the 4th century.
congratulations,you break one of the ten commandments of yahweh
Re: Sabbath Day : Saturday Or Sunday? by ijawkid(m): 2:58pm On Jul 15, 2012
ambrosini593: This question have been a major concern to me. Was it on Saturday or Sunday God rested. Some churches go to church on Saturday as their Sabbath day. For examples, Seven Day Adventist and others. Even in Israel they observe Saturday as their Sabbath day. Which of them is the right day?

Days don't matter no more bro.....

Besides d sabbath has no hold on a christian....

Neither wuld I judge any who observes d sabbath....

Days aint important to worship of God anymore......

But I know d sabbath fell on a saturday...
The pope made that change to sunday according to delafruita or logic boy....:-)
Re: Sabbath Day : Saturday Or Sunday? by Delafruita(m): 3:03pm On Jul 15, 2012
ijawkid:

Days don't matter no more bro.....

Besides d sabbath has no hold on a christian....

Neither wuld I judge any who observes d sabbath....

Days aint important to worship of God anymore......
you are so funny.you guys always find ways to interprete the bible to suit your needs.lemme ask you a few questions-
1.did jesus observe the sabbath?
2.did the disciples observe the sabbath after his death?
3.did paul observe the sabbath?
4.do you observe the sabbath?lemme answer this one.YES,you observe the sabbath by going to church on sunday.one person,Pope Sylvester changed the sabbath from saturday to sunday which is why you observe it sunday.
answer the other 3 questions according to the Bible dictates
Re: Sabbath Day : Saturday Or Sunday? by ijawkid(m): 5:36pm On Jul 15, 2012
Delafruita:
you are so funny.you guys always find ways to interprete the bible to suit your needs.lemme ask you a few questions-
1.did jesus observe the sabbath?
2.did the disciples observe the sabbath after his death?
3.did paul observe the sabbath?
4.do you observe the sabbath?lemme answer this one.YES,you observe the sabbath by going to church on sunday.one person,Pope Sylvester changed the sabbath from saturday to sunday which is why you observe it sunday.
answer the other 3 questions according to the Bible dictates

I don't go to church my bro...
So don't conclude so fast....

Meanwhile Jesus didn't observe d sabbath d way it was traditionally done..

Why?? Because he is d master of d sabbath...

Besides like I said d law on sabbath passed away with d mosiac law....

So its no longer a law binding on christ followers...

That's why it ends up being a personal decision....

For some in d 1st century who were already jews who still insisted on observing d sabbath nobody castigated them...

Neither were those Jewish christians to criticize gentiles who became christians and enforce d law of sabbath on them....

But for many who are not even local jews today why worry themselves over d sabbath..

Incase u've forgotten d bible so fast please read colossians 2:16 $ 17....

Those are inspired words from d apostle paul.........

The reality belongs with christ not observing days......

Thanks!!!!!!!
Re: Sabbath Day : Saturday Or Sunday? by Delafruita(m): 6:01pm On Jul 15, 2012
ijawkid:

For some in d 1st century who were already jews who still insisted on observing d sabbath nobody castigated them...

Neither were those Jewish christians to criticize gentiles who became christians and enforce d law of sabbath on them....

But for many who are not even local jews today why worry themselves over d sabbath..

The reality belongs with christ not observing days......

Thanks!!!!!!!
ijawkid:

The reality belongs christ not observing days......

Thanks!!!!!!!
you dont attend church doesnt mean you should pass false information.jesus observed the sabbath,read luke 4:6,
after his death,the disciples observed the sabbath.
read Mark 15:42,16:1,luke 23:54-55,john 19:31,19:42,mathew 27:62,28:1
even paul observed the sabbath.read Acts 13:14,17:2-3,18:4,13:42-44,
dont mislead the poster with your ignorance

2 Likes

Re: Sabbath Day : Saturday Or Sunday? by ijawkid(m): 6:45pm On Jul 15, 2012
Delafruita:

you dont attend church doesnt mean you should pass false information.jesus observed the sabbath,read luke 4:6,

So what problem did d pharisees have with Jesus as regards d sabbath??

Jesus was working on a sabbath bro....

Are d jews suppose to work on d sabbath??

Did u read up d scripture I quoted??

Jesus death wiped all that sabbath trash away...

Its no longer a law binding on christian.....

The apostles preached on d sabbath...

That's something that they wouldn't dare try if they were under d law.....

Ur nt a christian anymore so I dnt expect u to understand this.....
Re: Sabbath Day : Saturday Or Sunday? by Delafruita(m): 7:04pm On Jul 15, 2012
ijawkid:

So what problem did d pharisees have with Jesus as regards d sabbath??

Jesus was working on a sabbath bro....

Are d jews suppose to work on d sabbath??

Did u read up d scripture I quoted??

Jesus death wiped all that sabbath trash away...

Its no longer a law binding on christian.....

The apostles preached on d sabbath...

That's something that they wouldn't dare try if they were under d law.....

Ur nt a christian anymore so I dnt expect u to understand this.....
i doubt you read the verses i posted.if jesus death wiped away sabbath,why did the apostles and even paul continue keeping the sabbath?
Re: Sabbath Day : Saturday Or Sunday? by TheShopKeeper(m): 7:23pm On Jul 15, 2012
The pattern of Sunday worship was set by Jesus' early post-resurrection appearance on Sunday night (John 20:19-20).
This thus developed into the regular worship day for the assembled church (Acts 20:7; Rev 1:10). Sunday was the first work day of the week up until the time of Constantine (Emperor of the Roman Empire AD 306-337).
The first century christians met before work on Sundays for worship, preaching and the Lord's Supper. After the fall of the Jerusalem temple in AD 70, the Jewish leaders reorganised and inaugurated several reforms. One of them was an oath which cursed and rejected Jesus Christ as the Messiah.
The early christians met with the synagogue on the Sabbath and with the church on Sunday. However, this oath forced a split and believers made Sunday their designated worship day.
Re: Sabbath Day : Saturday Or Sunday? by ijawkid(m): 7:44pm On Jul 15, 2012
Delafruita:
i doubt you read the verses i posted.if jesus death wiped away sabbath,why did the apostles and even paul continue keeping the sabbath?

The apostles respected d sabbath.....

Remember when I said d apostles never judged jewish christians who were still observing d sabbath....
And he also urged fellow jewish christians nt to judge any1 who wuld nt wanna observe d sabbath....

if the sabbath was mandatory for christians as it was with d natural jews then paul won't put up those words in colossians...

Did d gentile christians observe d sabbath if I may ask u??

Did cornelius and all gentiles observe d sabbath??

The early christians preached on d sabbath just like Jesus did....something d pharisees and saducees wuld castigate them for.....

Now d truth is in d days of when d law of moses was binding,no jew was suppose to work on d sabbath.....

But Jesus and d apostles did otherwise...

D sabbath observance for-shadowed greater things to come.....

I ask u again::::::why did d pharisees castigate Jesus on d sabbath day??...

I wanna hear ur answer.......
Re: Sabbath Day : Saturday Or Sunday? by Santi222(m): 12:47pm On Jul 22, 2012
I love this thread!
Re: Sabbath Day : Saturday Or Sunday? by Abyjah: 1:37pm On Jul 22, 2012
Everyday is the Lord's. Problem is that people think observing their weekly ritual of going to church on the 'sabbath' is the ultimate worship but it ain't.

If you open an impactful thread on NL, it's an act of worship to God. No one cares whether you opened it Saturday or Sunday, or on a public holiday.
Re: Sabbath Day : Saturday Or Sunday? by plappville(f): 11:00pm On Aug 31, 2012
Delafruita:

God bless you. Out of the 10 commandments, the 4th one no longer matters today because of misinterpretations. Heaven and earth shall pass away, but not the WORD (law) of God.
Re: Sabbath Day : Saturday Or Sunday? by Nobody: 11:24pm On Aug 31, 2012
The Sabbath day was without doubt a Saturday but in my opinion it was not enforced among the newly converted gentiles.

In fact the Jewish believers were trying to bring the gentile christians back unto the yoke of the law, this was Pauls exhortation to these new believers.

"Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day." - Colossians 2:16

"Do you wish to be enslaved by them all over again? 10 You are observing special days and months and seasons and years! 11 I fear for you, that somehow I have wasted my efforts on you." - Galatians 10:9b-10

If however you believe in the Sabbath then it should be a Saturday which the SDAs and other denominations rightly practise. If you want to obey the Law at least obey it to the letter .
Re: Sabbath Day : Saturday Or Sunday? by plappville(f): 11:44pm On Aug 31, 2012
frosbel: The Sabbath day was without doubt a Saturday but in my opinion it was not enforced among the newly converted gentiles.

In fact the Jewish believers were trying to bring the gentile christians back unto the yoke of the law, this was Pauls exhortation to these new believers.

"Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day." - Colossians 2:16

"Do you wish to be enslaved by them all over again? 10 You are observing special days and months and seasons and years! 11 I fear for you, that somehow I have
wasted my efforts on you." - Galatians 10:9b-10

If however you believe in the Sabbath then it should be a Saturday which the SDAs and

other denominations rightly practise. If you want to obey the Law at least obey it to the letter .

Am sure you might have come across this strong warning from Peter of how Pauls writtings are been misinterpreted. He warned us that people would misunderstand the writings of the Apostle Paul:

2 Peter 3: 15 And think of our Lord's patience as deliverance, just as our dear brother Sha'ul also wrote you, following the wisdom God gave him. 16 Indeed, he speaks about these things in all his letters. They contain some things that are hard to understand, things which the uninstructed and unstable distort, to their own destruction, as they do the other Scriptures. People will just conclude that Christ has nailed the 4th law of the Ten commandment to the Cross. God chosed Isreal as a light to other nations, He gave them his laws. If Israel is a light because they keep Gods Law. And God said he changeth not, so why should He now change his Laws with the Gentiles? Or are we not sarvince thesame God? Or should we say He is a God that has two different law for his Children.
Re: Sabbath Day : Saturday Or Sunday? by plappville(f): 11:51pm On Aug 31, 2012
If we fail just one of the LAW, we are guilty of breaking the whole Law.
Re: Sabbath Day : Saturday Or Sunday? by Nobody: 11:53pm On Aug 31, 2012
If at all the Sabbath day should be observed , it should be a Saturday , this is where I am in agreement with the Seventh day Adventists . On the other hand, the catholic church and other Pentecostal churches do not honor the Sabbath day, they actually worship on a Sunday.

Just my small opinion anyway, we continue tomorrow if time permits.
Re: Sabbath Day : Saturday Or Sunday? by Nobody: 11:55pm On Aug 31, 2012
plappville: If we fail just one of the LAW, we are guilty of breaking the whole Law.

"because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death" - Romans 8:2
Re: Sabbath Day : Saturday Or Sunday? by Goshen360(m): 5:59am On Sep 01, 2012
The sabbath was not given by God in respect to worship. You can worship God any day, anytime. There is no where the NT commands Christians to observe the sabbath in regards to worshiping God. Those who follow Saturday for Sabbath are following Judaism. In fact, the NT Church come together on the first day of the week, which is Sunday. However, If you worship God on Saturday or Sunday or Monday or Friday.....it doesn't count because we are not bound by law of a certain worship day in the NT.

J'espère que c'est assez clair

1 Like

Re: Sabbath Day : Saturday Or Sunday? by plappville(f): 8:16pm On Sep 01, 2012
frosbel:

"because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death" - Romans 8:2

Yes we are delivered from the influence and control of sin!
Re: Sabbath Day : Saturday Or Sunday? by plappville(f): 8:21pm On Sep 01, 2012
Goshen360: The sabbath was not given by God in respect to worship. You can worship God any day, anytime. There is no where the NT commands Christians to observe the sabbath in regards to worshiping God. Those who follow Saturday for Sabbath are following Judaism. In fact, the NT Church come together on the first day of the week, which is Sunday. However, If you worship God on Saturday or Sunday or Monday or Friday.....it doesn't count because we are not bound by law of a certain worship day in the NT.

[size=14pt]Je suis d'accord avec vous! mais je vais essayer de vous expliquer autrement mon point de vue.[/size]
Re: Sabbath Day : Saturday Or Sunday? by plappville(f): 8:44pm On Sep 01, 2012
Almost all Christian will accept that Jesus did not break any of the Laws.Yet a large number will argue that Certain laws like Sabbath are done away with.
In (Gala 4:4) “God sent forth his son, made of a woman, born under the "law," to redeem them that were under the law.” Jesus born "Jew" according to Gal 4:4 perfectly kept the entire LAW. He observed all the feast days, kept the entire laws includin' the law of Moses was applicable as well, (civil, dietary, ceremonia etc. Christ wouldnt have violated even the tiniest part or else he would not have fits in the Messiah. So He did not abolish the law (matt 5:17.)

Infact He reinforced the 4th Commandment when he said, "The Sabbath[b] was made for man"[/b] (Mark 2:27). His point was that the Sabbath was made as a blessing for the benefit of mankind, not as an oppressive legal law. Note: he didnt say it was made for the Israelites only, but for "MAN".

Jesus did proclaimed Himself Lord of the sabbath (Mark 2:28) and observed it regularly (Mark 1:2 1; Luke 4:16-22). Though He frequently rebuked the Pharisees fo their man made-rules,(traditions)We see that Christ always upheld the sabbath and He showed a positiv example on how it should be observed as a day of rest, meditation, worship, freedom, and joy (Mark 3:4; Luke 13:15-16; Matthew 12:10-12).

It's also interesting to know that Paul observed the Sabbath, but He gives us a reason, i may be wrong though. in 1 Cor.9:19-20: “For though I am free from all men, yet I have made myself servant unto all, that I might gain the more. And to the Jews I became a Jew, that I might win Jews; to those who are under the law (The Jews), as under the law, that I might win those under the law. To those who are without a law (Gentiles) I might win those who are without law; to the weak I became as weak, that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all men, that I might by all means save some.” Waooo what a task for the Apostle Paul heheheh.

In forther chapters Paul went into the synagogues to preach to the Jews on Sabbath day ( Acts.13:14-43, 17:2, 18:4.) These verses proved He did not keep the Sabbath as an obligation. But of a truth He did Kept it. What i'm trying to say is that, although our worship isn't limited to one day. It is likely 24/7.
(Acts 2:46 1Cor:11, Acts 2:42). The sabbath is still valide for those who wish to keep it. The Messiah and His Apostles kept it. The NT did not Denounced it.
We have seen scriptures as proves. But That doesnt put aside the "Lords day" as we can worship God everyday of the week. God will so much appreciates this am so sure LOLS.....
Re: Sabbath Day : Saturday Or Sunday? by Delafruita(m): 9:05am On Sep 02, 2012
Goshen360: The sabbath was not given by God in respect to worship. You can worship God any day, anytime. There is no where the NT commands Christians to observe the sabbath in regards to worshiping God. Those who follow Saturday for Sabbath are following Judaism. In fact, the NT Church come together on the first day of the week, which is Sunday. However, If you worship God on Saturday or Sunday or Monday or Friday.....it doesn't count because we are not bound by law of a certain worship day in the NT.

totally disagree.yahweh was explicit in his commandment that isreal must rest on the seventh day just as the lord rested on the seventh day.unless you want to say the resting of the lord is no longer significant and so the seventh day rest is no longer required.
jesus never asked them not to observe the sabbath.infact after his crucifixion,all the accounts agree that mary magdalene and the others bought the materials early because the next day was a sabbath on which they wont be able to do anything.paul is recorded as having observed the sabbath.the sabbath became a day of worship until the pope decided to create "the day of the lord" and made it mandatory for worship to be conducted on that day.bear in mind that the day of the lord isnt the same as sabbath.he then abolished the sabbath.

(1) (Reply)

How My Pastor Raped My 14-year-old Daughter And Aborted Her Pregnancy / Patience-a Sine Qua Non: Story That Touches The Heart / Wow I Just Noticed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.