Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,409 members, 7,815,902 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:35 PM

How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? - Career (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? (55165 Views)

Advice Needed:a Masters Degree To Aid My 2.2 Or A Life-changing Trip To Italy? / 6 People You Need Around You To Help You Succeed / Pls, How Can One Succeed With Agricultural Economics? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by JARUSHUB: 1:17pm On Jan 25, 2016
A lot of great tips on this thread from Ajanlekoko and others. However, if you still feel you need more guidance after a 3rd class, you might be interested in this https://www.nairaland.com/2887327/dont-lose-hope-because-3rd#up
Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by asalimpo(m): 1:29pm On Feb 14, 2016
AjanleKoko:
The 2-2 people, like me, are the ones that Msc might work for. The vast majority of students in Nigeria made a 2-2, so it's not so bad.
3rd class is a different story entirely. Even a masters degree would not easily get you into places that ordinarily ask for 2-1. Some companies like KPMG even request specific O 'Level standards, can you imagine!

I usually recommend that people who made a third class should consider moving towards a career field that doesn't require too much academic story. Best bet is to move towards skills acquisition. A close family member of mine made a third class in engineering, and he was lucky to get a job in outdoor advertising, working on designing billboards and other types of outdoor signage. At least that way he got to practice engineering in a reasonably lucrative field, and he doesn't have to worry about what class of degree he made. He also doesn't have to waste his time and money doing a masters he's not the least bit interested in.

It could be fashion, even entertainment, ultimately. It doesn't really matter. I feel that most people who do poorly in school are probably not really suited for more academic work, so why pile up more misery in useless certificates? It may be an opportunity for them to discover their true talents. That's the way I see it.

I would not be quick to advice a 3rd class graduate of petroleum engineering to immediately rush into some PGD/msc combo in the same petroleum engineering. Graduates with 2:1 plus Msc in that discipline are still searching for job. But if you are convinced that your path lies therein, by all means go for it. But expect no favours though.
kpmg is insulting our national consciosness by those requirements. Unfortunately in our desperation we stomach such bull. On their own native land they'd be sued for such insolence.
Besides, all a potential hire will gain is the prestige mainly.
So the prestige of associating with them must be taken with insult?

Your other comments were downright condescending.
A 3rd class should consider un-intellectual work because he may not be able to handle intellectual work! In other words 3rd classes are morons. But certs aside, if employees were tested blind, testers would b suprised that the perception of their test subjects would not always align with the labels on their certs. So, why don't employers test blind and pick those that pass?
Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by asalimpo(m): 1:53pm On Feb 14, 2016
AjanleKoko:

I'm very much interested in knowing who had a third class and ended up as a CEO of Shell, ExonMobil, or even First Bank.
Even Soyinka has come out to say he didn't make a third class as purported by the general public.

People should stop selling cow-dung here abeg. angry

shell,chevron,first bank wont hire 3rd class to begin with. They wont give them the opportunity to prove themselves or redeem themselves . No "reputable" organisations would. 3rd class, pass and in some cases 2-2 are brain dead people. Intellectually deformed and hence inferior life forms. Ever wonder y people are suprised when a 3rd class/pass appears half smart? They're are awe struck and condescendingly amused as everyday people are/would be of a goat speaking flawless english! Y, goats are supposed to bleet and exude dumbness not smarts.
If a 3rd/pass/drop out ever got into those companies, theyd be stiffled in their career and would never rise to any appreciable level in the organisation, no matter how stellar a work they do. They'd have to over extend themselves. Put in 110% everytime and yet they'd be forever assessed through prejudiced lens forever.
Finally, even if a 3rd/pass/no degree could lead the organisation and had decades of experience, the king makers wouldnt want to vote him in, for fear of tarnishing their corporate image with the face of a leader who has "shabby" results.
Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by EngnrAkande: 7:35pm On Jul 23, 2016
Please house I need an info on this, am a Food Engineering student, I wish to work with oil company but due to my first degree field am thinking it might limit the opportunity.. So am thinking of doing professional certification in Automation/mechatronics... Please will dat help me... Thanks.. Or any advice
Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by Gunlawz(m): 7:55pm On Jul 07, 2017
Blackteeth:
Many people think that finishing with a 2-2 or 3rd class places them in a disadvantaged position and trims their chances of getting a job easily cos many employers don't give these category of graduates the opportunity to prove themselves.
I would like those who had a 2-2 or 3rd class and are presently successful to tell us how they emerged successful despite the disadvantage, so to encourage those who have lost hope cos of the poor result they had.

bro..sorry to say...2.2 nw is like a curse...i had 3.48...i quickly did ican and added many oda computer qualifications..but mehn..it seems hr keep judging based on my frst degree only...all my friends with 2.1 are working and they dont have ican or relevant qualifications
Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by beau49: 8:34pm On Jul 08, 2017
Gunlawz:

bro..sorry to say...2.2 nw is like a curse...i had 3.48...i quickly did ican and added many oda computer qualifications..but mehn..it seems hr keep judging based on my frst degree only...all my friends with 2.1 are working and they dont have ican or relevant qualifications

Does that mean those working all came out with 2:1. Stop looking down on yourself and work on your interview skills. Prepare well and let God do the rest. The fact that you haven't gotten a job yet isn't because you came out with 2:2. To top it you have ICAN.

Keep applying and hoping for the best.... You will get there and beyond.

1 Like

Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by Gunlawz(m): 3:56pm On Jul 17, 2017
beau49:

Does that mean those working all came out with 2:1. Stop looking down on yourself and work on your interview skills. Prepare well and let God do the rest. The fact that you haven't gotten a job yet isn't because you came out with 2:2. To top it you have ICAN.

Keep applying and hoping for the best.... You will get there and beyond.

Thanks..I really feel depressed

1 Like

Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by ccollins(m): 12:59pm On Sep 02, 2018
asalimpo:

shell,chevron,first bank wont hire 3rd class to begin with. They wont give them the opportunity to prove themselves or redeem themselves . No "reputable" organisations would. 3rd class, pass and in some cases 2-2 are brain dead people. Intellectually deformed and hence inferior life forms. Ever wonder y people are suprised when a 3rd class/pass appears half smart? They're are awe struck and condescendingly amused as everyday people are/would be of a goat speaking flawless english! Y, goats are supposed to bleet and exude dumbness not smarts.
If a 3rd/pass/drop out ever got into those companies, theyd be stiffled in their career and would never rise to any appreciable level in the organisation, no matter how stellar a work they do. They'd have to over extend themselves. Put in 110% everytime and yet they'd be forever assessed through prejudiced lens forever.
Finally, even if a 3rd/pass/no degree could lead the organisation and had decades of experience, the king makers wouldnt want to vote him in, for fear of tarnishing their corporate image with the face of a leader who has "shabby" results.
nonsense spewed by someone who does not understand the principles of life.do you think your class of degree determines anything at all? there are students who still do well however poor their results are. King James 2000 Bible
I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favor to men of skill; but time and chance happens to them all.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Two Little Boys Plastering A Fence At Aduwawa, Benin, Edo State / Obinna Ebirim, Doctor Works As Kitchen Assistant In UK To Make Extra Money / Little Boy Working As A Mason At A Building Site (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.