Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,504 members, 7,819,829 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:55 AM

Nigeria Among The World's 10 Fastest Growing Economies - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Nigeria Among The World's 10 Fastest Growing Economies (10424 Views)

The 15 Fastest Growing Economies In Africa 2016 — IMF / Nigeria, One Of Top 10 Global Economies – US Govt / 15 Fastest Growing Small Business OPPORTUNITIES and IDEAS In Nigeria For 2013 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Among The World's 10 Fastest Growing Economies by Nobody: 12:53pm On Jul 17, 2012
feelamong:

u for also call PDP and HIV!!! angry

Awon Olosi!!

meanwhile Mod, FREE AFAM4EVER now or!!
Your people always resort to calling people names when they lose in constructive argument, is that a result of inefficiency of compulsive reasoning.
Re: Nigeria Among The World's 10 Fastest Growing Economies by PHIPEX(m): 1:02pm On Jul 17, 2012
Some people just refuse to learn.

Economic Growth is like a man who owns a booming business, his business may be the fastest growing in the market but his nuclear and extended family may still be in poverty.

Economic development on the otherhand is like when the owner of that fastest growing business uses his income to rescue his family from poverty. Whether the family benefits from their father's wealth or not, the business of their father will still be adjudged the fastest growing business by his customers and other people in the market.

By all calculations, Nigeria is growing but whether we are developing is a different ball game.
Re: Nigeria Among The World's 10 Fastest Growing Economies by Ijebulogic(m): 1:03pm On Jul 17, 2012
Redhot111: do u expect my class 1 accomodate more dan 50 pupils? Giv ur brain some wrk 2 do. Its bin idle or dormant 4 2 long.

Yawn....!
Re: Nigeria Among The World's 10 Fastest Growing Economies by donigspain(m): 1:23pm On Jul 17, 2012
feelamong:

u for also call PDP and HIV!!! angry

Awon Olosi!!

meanwhile Mod, FREE AFAM4EVER now or!!
Mr feelamong, I know you wrote the above just to feel among.
Re: Nigeria Among The World's 10 Fastest Growing Economies by SamAfrik(m): 1:26pm On Jul 17, 2012
I'l be happy 2 see this growth translate into better standard of living, efficient judiciary & modern infrastructure.
#Please pardon Afam4eva# - I'v only been on NL couple of months but like his contributns (extreme atimes though).
Re: Nigeria Among The World's 10 Fastest Growing Economies by Jyde89: 1:37pm On Jul 17, 2012
donigspain:
You called Billyonaire 'unbiased' fellow. I guess you took it to be a bad word cuz you see/hear people use it.
Always use the word you know it's meaning(s).
try reading his post again and you will understand what i meant,the word 'unbiased'in my ealier post was meant to be a sercacism,and i dont use word's i no not their meaning,but thank's anyway for your irrelivant comment.
Re: Nigeria Among The World's 10 Fastest Growing Economies by Jyde89: 1:57pm On Jul 17, 2012
Billyonaire: The boldened are Lagos slumps, I bet you havent travelled anyway outside Eko, Lagos local champion.
sory o,sophisticated id*io*t,now that i look at it,i have no doubt you'er one those GEJ praise singer's on N/L. What else can i say other than to encourage you to keep up the good work of eulogysin your lord and master,we wont want your salary be slashed into half by saying the truth now,would we
Re: Nigeria Among The World's 10 Fastest Growing Economies by Nobody: 2:08pm On Jul 17, 2012
NigeriaKwenu: Odi egwu

The only thing we're fast at growing are terrorists and criminals.

Afam4eva
mehn,the MODS are angry,what have you done wrong?abeg free afam4eva o
Re: Nigeria Among The World's 10 Fastest Growing Economies by Jyde89: 2:09pm On Jul 17, 2012
Billyonaire: Nairalanders should desist from advertising their ignorance on issues they have no knowledge base. Economic growth has to do with fiscal income into an economy, which are derivatives of import - export differentials. If and how this growth flickers on the populace depends on your technocrats and bureaucrats that run the shows...lol.
no matter how serious an issue is in the king's coutyard,the village id*io*t will alway's show up to air his stu*pi*di*ty,not to make mockery of the issue at hand,just to add some comic relief. Keep amusing your self with issue's that mean's so much to the masses. F**L
Re: Nigeria Among The World's 10 Fastest Growing Economies by Bright2(m): 2:54pm On Jul 17, 2012
The more you look,the less you see grin
Re: Nigeria Among The World's 10 Fastest Growing Economies by bakila: 3:02pm On Jul 17, 2012
Drama a flop movie by billyg. oat. Anybody in the house with better title for the thread, given OYB expo.
Re: Nigeria Among The World's 10 Fastest Growing Economies by collins123(m): 3:34pm On Jul 17, 2012
Pls Mods. Unban AFAM4EVA
Re: Nigeria Among The World's 10 Fastest Growing Economies by Nobody: 3:44pm On Jul 17, 2012
jay_p: whereby an average Nigerian lives below a Dollar per day.

This is the sort of claim that just makes my blood boil. YOU ARE COMPLETE, CERTIFIED GOAT AND DUNCE TO MAKE THIS CLAIM.

If people want to complain of poverty, fair game, but to come online and make these ILLITERATE assertions of an average Nigerian living below $1 a day just shows you are plain DUMB.

Not even the POOREST farmer in the village lives on this amount. His BREAKFAST alone of roast yam, smoked fish, and palm oil will cost at least $10 in any Nigerian restaurant in the US. In fact any US-based Nigerian will tell you that is an underestimated price for the meal. So what type of false and misleading statistic is that? Whoever makes those stats needs to be flogged and even EXECUTED for deceiving the gullible fools who thoughtlessly regurgitate them.
Re: Nigeria Among The World's 10 Fastest Growing Economies by occam(m): 3:54pm On Jul 17, 2012
PHIPEX: Some people just refuse to learn.

Economic Growth is like a man who owns a booming business, his business may be the fastest growing in the market but his nuclear and extended family may still be in poverty.

Economic development on the otherhand is like when the owner of that fastest growing business uses his income to rescue his family from poverty. Whether the family benefits from their father's wealth or not, the business of their father will still be adjudged the fastest growing business by his customers and other people in the market.

By all calculations, Nigeria is growing but whether we are developing is a different ball game.

Great analogy. In other words, the economy is growing but too many people remain very poor.

This is the reality of Nigeria: Unemployment and inflation rates very high, inequality gap very wide, life expectancy just 51 years, etc
Re: Nigeria Among The World's 10 Fastest Growing Economies by hamsay(m): 3:56pm On Jul 17, 2012
yeah, we heard that, but we will like to know where the money is spent.
Re: Nigeria Among The World's 10 Fastest Growing Economies by Nobody: 3:58pm On Jul 17, 2012
occam:

Great analogy. In other words, the economy is growing but too many people remain very poor.

This is the reality of Nigeria: Unemployment and inflation rates very high, inequality gap very wide, life expectancy just 51 years, etc

Actually it's 52 years according to the stats. And it was 47 years about 5 or 6 years ago. So that speaks to incremental progress however 'slow'.
Re: Nigeria Among The World's 10 Fastest Growing Economies by occam(m): 4:38pm On Jul 17, 2012
ROSSIKE:

Actually it's 52 years according to the stats. And it was 47 years about 5 or 6 years ago. So that speaks to incremental progress however 'slow'.

well 52 is still too low. It should be close to 6O years if not we'll never fully exploit the opportunities nor enjoy the benefits from the much hyped growth.

Foreign companies are the ones enjoying the dividends of this fast growth. Case in point are the Mobile telecom companies. This guys are just repatriating their profits to safer havens (U.S., Canada etc)
or their countries. Nigerians are left o fight over Call centre jobs or recharge card selling opportunities.
Re: Nigeria Among The World's 10 Fastest Growing Economies by adedayo07: 5:08pm On Jul 17, 2012
Why are we deceiving our self in this nation?. The economy had gone from bad to more worst condition, yet some people still beleive that the economy is growing.
Re: Nigeria Among The World's 10 Fastest Growing Economies by Nobody: 5:38pm On Jul 17, 2012
occam:

well 52 is still too low. It should be close to 6O years if not we'll never fully exploit the opportunities nor enjoy the benefits from the much hyped growth.

Foreign companies are the ones enjoying the dividends of this fast growth. Case in point are the Mobile telecom companies. This guys are just repatriating their profits to safer havens (U.S., Canada etc)
or their countries. Nigerians are left o fight over Call centre jobs or recharge card selling opportunities.
Of course 52 is still too low, but it was never going to jump from 47 to 70 overnight. Change happens over YEARS and DECADES even in the most advanced nations. Insofar as we're seeing progress, what we then do is sustain it, not keep denigrating, complaining, and criticising everything night and day.
Re: Nigeria Among The World's 10 Fastest Growing Economies by Nobody: 5:40pm On Jul 17, 2012
adedayo07: Why are we deceiving our self in this nation?. The economy had gone from bad to more worst condition, yet some people still beleive that the economy is growing.

My friend go and get a job or start business and stop disturbing us. Your mates are making big money and building mansions all over the place in this BOOMING economy. Stay there and be talking rubbish.

By the way I think this thread should be in the Politics section. It is THAT important. Mods stop trying to stifle debate or suppress information just because it is POSITIVE.
Re: Nigeria Among The World's 10 Fastest Growing Economies by occam(m): 7:00pm On Jul 17, 2012
ROSSIKE: Of course 52 is still too low, but it was never going to jump from 47 to 70 overnight. Change happens over YEARS and DECADES even in the most advanced nations. Insofar as we're seeing progress, what we then do is sustain it, not keep denigrating, complaining, and criticising everything night and day.

Progress? what progress. For decades, Nigerians have waited (and continue to wait) for power; we're still in darkness. Cite one measurement that shows improvement in power since the last 10 years. Nigeria was in same developmental phase as Brazil, India, Malaysia 25 yrs ago, but today you can't compare us to those nations. We know that a corrupt political elite plundering our commonwealth is the only reason for the lack of development.
Re: Nigeria Among The World's 10 Fastest Growing Economies by occam(m): 7:09pm On Jul 17, 2012
ROSSIKE: Of course 52 is still too low, but it was never going to jump from 47 to 70 overnight. Change happens over YEARS and DECADES even in the most advanced nations. Insofar as we're seeing progress, what we then do is sustain it, not keep denigrating, complaining, and criticising everything night and day.

oh yes and our peers 25 yrs ago have life expectancy of 72 (Brazil), 67 (India) and (74) Malaysia. So you go figure why we're criticizing our leaders
Re: Nigeria Among The World's 10 Fastest Growing Economies by hoyehdiran: 8:08pm On Jul 17, 2012
Billyonaire: Nigeria is truly one of the 10 fastest growing economies in the world. For those who think who always expect every news from Nigeria to be negative, you are on the wrong side of history. I for one, have witness astronomical growth, the indicators are there for unbiased eyes to see.

Like seriously nd are u sure about that?
Re: Nigeria Among The World's 10 Fastest Growing Economies by donigspain(m): 8:15pm On Jul 17, 2012
Jyde89: try reading his post again and you will understand what i meant,the word 'unbiased'in my ealier post was meant to be a sercacism,and i dont use word's i no not their meaning,but thank's anyway for your irrelivant comment.
Dude, what's wrong with you? STOP using words you ain't sure of their correct spelling(s).
What the hell is 'SERCACISM and IRRELIVANT'?
Re: Nigeria Among The World's 10 Fastest Growing Economies by Nobody: 8:18pm On Jul 17, 2012
occam:

oh yes and our peers 25 yrs ago have life expectancy of 72 (Brazil), 67 (India) and (74) Malaysia. So you go figure why we're criticizing our leaders

Not sure where you're getting those figures. I've seen Life Expectancy rates for India as low as 58. And NONE of those nations were ''our peers'' 25 years ago. That's a flat out lie. Brazil was exporting luxury buses to us 25 years ago. So please let's be honest here. We are generally along the same development trajectory and pace that those nations experienced. 20 years ago India's life expectancy was closer to our current level. Just as theirs rose in the last ten years due to their positive GDP growth, SO IS OURS ALSO RISING, and at current economic growth rates of 7% per annum, it is BOUND to continue rising, such that by 2020 we should be seeing it hit 60 years or thereabouts.

So we ARE making progress, however slowly. Also Life Expectancy is not the only measurement of a nation's progress. On the UN Human Develoment Index we have also seen upward improvements in Nigeria placing us among Medium nations on the HDI from Low about 4 or 5 years ago.

Also, if you visit the UNICEF site, infant mortality rate, access to clean drinking water, and sanitation have seen upward improvements year on year since independence till date in Nigeria.

http://www.unicef.org/infobycountry/nigeria_statistics.html

The UN is the most reliable and respected source of national statistics. THAT'S where you go to measure how well Nigeria is doing, NOT on pages of newspapers or in the beer parlor, or by reading some dubious reports churned out by dodgy private organisations, or worse, by standing in one place comparing us to Brazil and Malaysia.
Re: Nigeria Among The World's 10 Fastest Growing Economies by iyanda146: 8:19pm On Jul 17, 2012
[quote

author=Billyonaire]
When
President Clinton signed the African Growth and Opportunity Act into
law in 2000, he ushered in a new era of relations between the U.S. and
the countries of Sub-Saharan Africa.

As a result of AGOA, the U.S. engagement on the continent is no longer
solely predicated on a donor-recipient relationship, but increasingly
one of mutual benefit and gain. Under AGOA, the U.S. became the first
country to use trade as a stimulus for economic development and in doing
so laid the groundwork for genuine win-win partnerships.

Twelve years later, AGOA continues to be the cornerstone of U.S.-African
relations. Forty countries in Sub-Saharan Africa are eligible for AGOA
benefits, and 6 of these countries are among the world’s 10 fastest
growing economies.

Between 2000 and 2011, AGOA exports from Africa to the U.S. have
increased over 500 percent to $53.8 billion. This has resulted in the
creation of more than an estimated 300,000 new jobs in Africa, and
another 1.5 million indirect jobs that, together, benefit approximately
10 million people. This non-reciprocal trade initiative has contributed
to improved political and economic governance in Africa while also being
one of the most cost-effective development initiatives the U.S. has
undertaken.

At the same time, both the U.S. and African governments have to redouble
their efforts to ensure that AGOA’s potential is being fully utilized.
While the number of countries exporting non-energy products to the U.S.
has doubled over the last ten years, only about 10 percent of AGOA’s
6400 product lines are being utilized.

AGOA is set to expire in 2015 but Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and
U.S. Trade Representative Ron Kirk have committed the Obama
Administration to a “seamless extension” of the legislation. Most
immediately, Congress needs to extend the third country fabric
provision, now scheduled to expire on September 30, which enables
apparel to enter the US on a cost-competitive basis.

Legislative certainty is one reason that AGOA should be extended for 10
years, until 2025. Not only would this provide the groundwork for a
deeper commercial relationship with African nations but it would help
American companies become more competitive in the region. In fact, it is
beginning to happen. U.S. exports to Africa were up 20 percent between
2010 and 2011 to $21.2 billion. According to the U.S. Department of
Commerce, this has supported or created more than 100,000 jobs in the
U.S.

With the emergence of Africa’s middle class, similar in size to that of
India’s, there is a new commercial vibrancy across the continent, as
noted recently by the McKinsey Global Institute. India, Brazil, Turkey
and, of course, China have intensified their commercial relationships
with many countries on the continent, providing Africa with a
proliferation of commercial partners. At the same time, the Obama
Administration’s push to double exports under the National Export
Initiative suggests that the African market will increase in importance
to the U.S.

AGOA, therefore, is a critical building block for deeper trade and
investment ties between the U.S. and Africa. The challenge for all
stakeholders is to move forward expeditiously not only to deepen the
commercial ties but to do so in a way that generates sustainable and
mutual benefits.

Witney Schneidman is a nonresident fellow at the Africa Growth
Initiative at the Brookings Institution and president of Schneidman
& Associates International. He also served as Deputy Assistant
Secretary of State for African affairs in the Clinton Administration.
http://www.clintonfoundation.org/main/clinton-foundation-blog.html/2012/07/12/agoa-and-the-emerging-african-market/[/quote]

stop deceiving us Nigeria only they grow in corruption
Re: Nigeria Among The World's 10 Fastest Growing Economies by donigspain(m): 8:28pm On Jul 17, 2012
Jyde89: no matter how serious an issue is in the king's coutyard,the village id*io*t will alway's show up to air his stu*pi*di*ty,not to make mockery of the issue at hand,just to add some comic relief. Keep amusing your self with issue's that mean's so much to the masses. F**L
Why do you always resort to insults? I haven't seen where BILLYONAIRE wronged you on this thread. I don't like it when people just go about insulting others over flimsy issues.
Moreover, I think you should be more economical in your use of apostrophe (').
Re: Nigeria Among The World's 10 Fastest Growing Economies by Nobody: 8:36pm On Jul 17, 2012
Iyanda 146 said

stop deceiving us Nigeria only they grow in corruption

^^You're the one deceiving yourself with your pathetic and ignorant mindset. Fact is nations can and do STILL make progress under circumstances of corruption. In terms of that corruption sef, Nigeria ranks below 48 other countries, with even countries like Russia, Ukraine and Ivory Coast voted worse according to Transparency International's latest corruption index. I recall when Nigeria occupied No 2 on that Index in the days of Abacha, so even corruption is on the decline in Nigeria.

http://cpi.transparency.org/cpi2011/results/
Re: Nigeria Among The World's 10 Fastest Growing Economies by Nobody: 8:48pm On Jul 17, 2012
One more thing. I remember when Shoprite was considering establishing in Nigeria, and many tried to put them off by producing all these dodgy statistics of how ''90% of Nigerians live on less than $1 a day'', and what a terrible mistake they would be making by establishing their outlets in Nigeria where everyone was so damn poor, and only the ''tiny minority of politicians and looters'' could afford to patronise them.

Shoprite IGNORED all those claims and statistics, and decided to forge ahead with their plan. Today, they've been so successful that they've announced plans to establish 700 more retail outlets in Nigeria in the next 5 years.

700!!

Meanwhile, some pathetic characters still persist in their delusions that everyone in Nigeria is starving except the ''tiny elite''.

I think it's best we ignore such people. In my village, barely literate traders are building mansions that in the past could only be associated with politicians and military officers. THAT ALONE tells me the Nigerian economy is booming and that those who cannot partake of it, and are only good at complaining from morning till night, are just lazy bums waiting for govt to feed them. Keep waiting.
Re: Nigeria Among The World's 10 Fastest Growing Economies by occam(m): 8:53pm On Jul 17, 2012
ROSSIKE:

Not sure where you're getting those figures. I've seen Life Expectancy rates for India as low as 58. And NONE of those nations were ''our peers'' 25 years ago. That's a flat out lie. We are generally along the same development trajectory and pace that those nations experienced. 20 years ago India's life expectancy was closer to our current level. Just as theirs rose in te last ten years, SO IS OURS ALSO RISING, and at current economic growth rates of 7% per annum, it is BOUND to continue rising, such that by 2020 we should be seeing it hit 60 years or thereabouts. So we ARE making progress, however slowly. Also Life Expectancy is not the only measurement of a nation's progress. On the UN Human Develoment Index we have also seen upward improvements in Nigeria placing us among Medium nations on the HDI from Low about 4 or 5 years ago.

Also, if you visit the UNICEF site, infant mortality rate, access to clean drinking water, and sanitation have seen upward improvements year on year since independence till date in Nigeria.

http://www.unicef.org/infobycountry/nigeria_statistics.html

The UN is the most reliable and respected source of national statistics. THAT'S where you go to measure how well Nigeria is doing, NOT on pages of newspapers or by reading some dubious reports churned out by dodgy private organisations, or worse, by standing in one place comparing us to Brazil and Malaysia.

We're ranked 156 out of 177 nations in UN Human Development Index (HDI) Ranking. Life expectancy is very closely linked to the wealth of a nation. Its perhaps the best indicator of how well a nation is faring compared to others. Wealthy nations occupy the top in HDI ranking and poorer ones are anchored at the very bottom. Now you see why I keep haring on about this.

Countries like India & Malaysia have now left us behind in development. I'm not painting a negative picture just stating the facts. The only reason for our abysmal performance is CORRUPTION. The World Bank has estimated that as a result of corruption 80% of energy revenues benefit only 1% of the population That truly is mind boggling. Every Nigerian knows this, but the only question is how do we extricate our destiny (and destinies of our children) from these blood sucking political elites

We can trade banters about whether India or Malaysia is better than us or not, it doesn't matter. The truth is Nigeria, a very rich nation is fast becoming a cash cow for other nations to prosper while most of our people continue to eke out a living simply for survival. This is the heart wrenching paradox of our nation.
Re: Nigeria Among The World's 10 Fastest Growing Economies by Weselion1(m): 9:10pm On Jul 17, 2012
tigerleggs: Owners of Nairaland should learn to respect the will of the masses and unban Afam4eva now or I'd deregister after 24hrs.
<<<Free Afam4eva>>>
what!! Was afam banned,na dat guy arguement dey sweet me pass. Make una free am abeg
Re: Nigeria Among The World's 10 Fastest Growing Economies by Nobody: 9:14pm On Jul 17, 2012
occam:

We're ranked 156 out of 177 nations in UN Human Development Index (HDI) Ranking.

WRONG. It is 156 out of 187. Try to provide accurate information please.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_Human_Development_Index

India by the way is 134 out of 187, so they aren't THAT further ahead of us. Other interesting figures: Ivory Coast is 170. Senegal 155, South Africa 123, Kenya 143, Indonesia 124 etc. So sure, we could do better, but don't make out like we're in this unique state of underachievement, that's far worse than everyone else. Our huge population MUST count in part for our relatively low HDI. And we are still a DEVELOPING country. Not all our problems are simply as a result of 'corruption'. That's an oversimplification of the problem that does no one any good. Being a developing nation means you need TIME to develop, and that time often runs into scores of decades of independence.

Countries like India & Malaysia have now left us behind in development.

My guy please stop the myth making. How exactly has India ''left us behind'' in development? Power cuts are a daily reality throughout India:

http://in.reuters.com/article/2012/07/04/india-gurgaon-electricity-protest-idINDEE86305X20120704

And new studies have shown that India as a whole is far poorer than Africa:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/world/india-far-poorer-than-africa-new-measure-shows/story-e6frg6so-1225891801078

Fully half of her 1 billion population are stark illiterates, malnutrition is rife etc etc. So please let's stop the over-hyping of all these countries.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Is Land Banking? #unregretful Investment / Top 25 Most Visited Websites In Nigeria / Agric-business/small And Medium Enterprises Investment Scheme (AGSMEIS) Loan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.