Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,561 members, 7,827,093 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 07:01 AM

What Do You Think Of RAG Days In Universities? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / What Do You Think Of RAG Days In Universities? (17767 Views)

Please Rate Me.what Exactly Do You Think Of Me? / Share Your Rag-day Experience / Your Rag Day Experience (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Do You Think Of RAG Days In Universities? by Laitesmart(m): 8:01pm On Jul 17, 2012
RAG DAY, as it is fondly called and cherished in our tertiary institutions of learning, is a day set aside by the social planners and organizers of institutions which entails students dressing like mad personalities in rags and roaming the street for the purpose of making money.

Based on what was learnt, ragday was initiated by institution governors or president of the student union in those days as a charitable affair in the sense that its purpose is to help children in need of one thing or the other, particularly in the orphanage. Its funds was also sent to hospitals to help the needy and less priviledge.

It is so funny that these days, rag days are not celebrated with the orientation of charity any longer. But rather, though it is still a day students look forward to for the wrong reasons. They use the day as an avenue to fill their own pockets forgetting the purpose of existence of the social event in the first place.

What do you think of the rag day? And is there need for any correction of its change in bearing?
Re: What Do You Think Of RAG Days In Universities? by Nobody: 3:27pm On Jul 18, 2012
Irrational
Re: What Do You Think Of RAG Days In Universities? by SisiKill1: 3:28pm On Jul 18, 2012
Please for those of us who don't know the nitty gritty. . .how do they make money by dressing in rags?

Do they beg or what?
Re: What Do You Think Of RAG Days In Universities? by slimdiggi: 3:29pm On Jul 18, 2012
I remember wen i was young n ma older sibs in the uni tld me about rag day n its aim to help d needy,i couldnt wait to experience it,it was just a shame that the original purpose of this event has faded away
Re: What Do You Think Of RAG Days In Universities? by Tsmooth1(m): 3:29pm On Jul 18, 2012
Sincerely speaking in this part of the country where i schooled, up to the time I graduated I have never heard of anything like ragday, infact social activities hardly take place here.
Re: What Do You Think Of RAG Days In Universities? by mcqt21: 3:30pm On Jul 18, 2012
we dnt do rag in uniben,,,,,its 2 old fashioned n worn out kiss

1 Like

Re: What Do You Think Of RAG Days In Universities? by ConcernMan: 3:31pm On Jul 18, 2012
For me that is the most stupid thing any reasonable student can do. Why ragging? As far as I am concerned it is demeaning and not fun.
Re: What Do You Think Of RAG Days In Universities? by belovedaja(m): 3:32pm On Jul 18, 2012
It is a foolish thing since it meaning has been lost
Re: What Do You Think Of RAG Days In Universities? by megxo(m): 3:32pm On Jul 18, 2012
T-smooth:
Sincerely speaking in this part of the country where i schooled, up to the time I graduated I have never heard of anything like ragday, infact social activities hardly take place here.
WOR PART IS DAT//?? AM GUESSING sokotogrin

4 Likes

Re: What Do You Think Of RAG Days In Universities? by folowo(m): 3:32pm On Jul 18, 2012
I think the student union of each school shld educate the student on this
Re: What Do You Think Of RAG Days In Universities? by megxo(m): 3:33pm On Jul 18, 2012
lipsrsealed D AIM OF RAGGING HAS BIN DEFEATED........ SO ITS MORE LYK FUNNY CRAP NOW
Re: What Do You Think Of RAG Days In Universities? by Blackteeth(m): 3:39pm On Jul 18, 2012
Everybody is free to do what pleases him or her. If you dont like rag day dont force it on others to dislike it. If rag day was done in America you guys wouldnt say its a crazy thing to do abi?

1 Like

Re: What Do You Think Of RAG Days In Universities? by Clemzy16(m): 3:41pm On Jul 18, 2012
T-smooth:
Where on earth did you even schooled.. SMH
Re: What Do You Think Of RAG Days In Universities? by nagoma(m): 3:45pm On Jul 18, 2012
Rags? That's what we wear everyday. So....?
Re: What Do You Think Of RAG Days In Universities? by Nobody: 3:46pm On Jul 18, 2012
T-smooth:

From his comments here, it is likely to be Afghanistan or Iraq.
Re: What Do You Think Of RAG Days In Universities? by megxo(m): 3:48pm On Jul 18, 2012
Dr. Wise:

From his comments here, it is likely to be Afghanistan or Iraq.
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin LIBYAN
Re: What Do You Think Of RAG Days In Universities? by ebamma(m): 3:49pm On Jul 18, 2012
rag day, my foot.
Re: What Do You Think Of RAG Days In Universities? by sashaa(f): 3:51pm On Jul 18, 2012
Never did it
Re: What Do You Think Of RAG Days In Universities? by stagger: 3:52pm On Jul 18, 2012
I never participated in that shiit. Imagine me running around town in filthy ragged loans going to take insults from people for how much?

Maybe some people do it and it is fun for them. But I did not and I usually tell off anyone coming to ask me for money for rag day. It is only one girl who was a neighbour's daughter, whose naming ceremony I attended more than 25 years ago that I ever gave money for rag day.

If the original purpose (which was to raise money for charity) was observed, then I will say yes; rag day is ok. But now students pay money to the SUG guys to collect the tin, then go to glean money from the public for themselves. So what the heck is that?

1 Like

Re: What Do You Think Of RAG Days In Universities? by Sagytarius(m): 3:56pm On Jul 18, 2012
Whoah. I just got know its original purpose.
Anyways, I couldn't imagine myself 'ragging' in the public.
Re: What Do You Think Of RAG Days In Universities? by collinsJn(m): 3:59pm On Jul 18, 2012
Even B4 I Got Admitted Into The Uni, I Made A Vow Not To Do That Nonsense Poo Call Rag Day,Seriously U I Don't Get It, Wearing Rags,Traveling Thousands Of Miles Away From Ur School,Risking Ur Precious Life All In The Name Of Rag Day,The One That Pisses Me Off The Most, Is Begging People For Moni,U Did Not Give Them To Kip For U. Grow Up Nigerians.
Re: What Do You Think Of RAG Days In Universities? by ballabriggs: 3:59pm On Jul 18, 2012
I spent most rag days drinking holy water with fellow entities at iliya du manpower. No time!

Any entity in the house? Walk and never stumble.

1 Like

Re: What Do You Think Of RAG Days In Universities? by pendusky(m): 4:00pm On Jul 18, 2012
honestly for me rag day su.Cks, i neva be part of dis trash! And i neva knw its main intension is to help orphans, buh the question is how manay of rag money has d sugs send to the orphans. Jst went to nekede poly today to visit a friend and thatz wat ther planing for 2morow! Wats the need? I would ask!
Re: What Do You Think Of RAG Days In Universities? by Caracta(f): 4:00pm On Jul 18, 2012
Its purpose has been abused
Re: What Do You Think Of RAG Days In Universities? by Andrew3(m): 4:00pm On Jul 18, 2012
my babe once went for rag day and came back with 1000 new contacts
of different men. angry angry angry angry angry angry

2 Likes

Re: What Do You Think Of RAG Days In Universities? by Nobody: 4:01pm On Jul 18, 2012
You said Rag was meant to help motherless babies. The students need the money, cos their conditions pass motherless babies own.

3 Likes

Re: What Do You Think Of RAG Days In Universities? by Waltro(m): 4:05pm On Jul 18, 2012
mcqt21: we dnt do rag in uniben,,,,,its 2 old fashioned n worn out kiss
. During my time in uniben there was no rag day too. I personally think its razz, seeing students walking around like beggers. As in these are supposed to be undergrads..intellectuals, its ok if its done for a worthy cause like charity but now that its lost its meaning they are all just a bunch of shameless beggers.
Re: What Do You Think Of RAG Days In Universities? by tonyx4x44(m): 4:06pm On Jul 18, 2012
lipsrsealed
Re: What Do You Think Of RAG Days In Universities? by Super1759: 4:08pm On Jul 18, 2012
RAG DAY = STRESS times STRAIN divided by EXPENSES
Re: What Do You Think Of RAG Days In Universities? by piica(m): 4:08pm On Jul 18, 2012
we @ ben didnt ragg, greatest uniben
Re: What Do You Think Of RAG Days In Universities? by Nobody: 4:12pm On Jul 18, 2012
Rag day still dey exist? Na all these razz schools still dey do that ishh. All through my long years in UI, I never heard about - let alone witnessed - anything like rag day. . . . Maybe I'm wrong but, I guess it's for schools like Agbabiaka Polytechnic Akungba-Okoko and Akpa-Amu College of Education Umunede and so on.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Is That Habit You Really Need To Stop Comes 2019? / Shocking! This Young Man Harshly Grabbing D Lady's Breast! / Surrati Undiluted Perfume Oil: Which Fragrance Is The Best

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.