Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,184 members, 7,864,088 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 11:30 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 - Travel (51) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 (309735 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) (54) ... (273) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Abmoney: 4:43pm On Aug 17, 2012
where's everyone?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Nobody: 4:51pm On Aug 17, 2012
Abmoney: where's everyone?
People dey settle in na.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Abmoney: 4:54pm On Aug 17, 2012
grin lipsrsealed
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by dwordworks: 5:46pm On Aug 17, 2012
Find Out!:

Nice one bro. Congratulations. I'm much more inspired by this.

pls, which of the GRE material did u use?
thewordworksforme@gmail.com
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by biofem2000: 5:54pm On Aug 17, 2012
walex57:
Yes ooo my bro...will miss the hot amala with gbegiri pelu ogunfe to solid!

For those having problem with food in the US, this is my advise. If it doesn`t look farmiliar, do not eat it. If it does look farmiliar, be careful how much you eat. You will soon discover how unhealthy most fast food are and how negatively eating out can affect your health and your pocket. There are too many fat people here and its so easy to become fat here with all the junk and the rest of them.
Here`s a few tip:
In place of egusi, I use sun flower seed. I get that from whole food. You`ll never miss egusi again.
When you buy rice, go for long grain perboiled ( Ha ha ha, i learnt the heard way). If you know someone with Sams club membership, you can get a box of long grain perboiled rice. Otherwise, buy the cheap perboiled long grain rice from walmark.
For beans, not everything that looks like beans is really beans (learnt that too). Go for black eye beans in small sachets at walmart( its your regular white beans)
Look for people who buy in bulk that you can share with.

If you live in the MD area, I can be of help.

Good luck.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by 6packs: 6:01pm On Aug 17, 2012
bigfrancis21:

Sent. Got no mailer daemon failure notice this time. wink
Thanks got all 6mails,*study mode activated* wink
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Ecalos: 6:57pm On Aug 17, 2012
To Support what Biofem2000 said,

For Efo-riro, just buy collard greens or spinach (fresh or frozen) from walmart with all the tomatoes, red pepper, habanero (atarodo) etc and blend. If you dont have a blender, you can get a cheap blender from walmart to be blending your peppers instead of buying tomato sauce from walmart. As for the assorted meat, you can get kidney, shaki, regular beef,oxtail and the likes from walmart, HEB etc. If you have an African store nearby, goat meat and the likes can be gotten from there.

Be careful with your palm oil usage as over time it can lead to a high cholesterol level. Use olive oil or canola oil and the taste still comes out the same if you are good at cooking.

As regards eating out, even if you have to do fast food, go for options with lower fat in them like chicken sandwiches without the bacon and cheese etc. And if you can order wheat buns instead of white bread, that helps. Subway is a better option for fast foods. If you must eat out, order the healthier options on the menu and watch your portions. Dont eat too heavy so you wont have pot belly from all the carbs..

One more important thing, EXERCISE..Join agym if you can aford it...for the ladies, join a Zumba fitness class or Yoga or something... run around the tracks in your school if your school has one and most schools have a well developed fitness center you can go to for free..Get your heart rate up so that you wont end up on a wheel chair being pushed around cause you are too fat.

5 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Nobody: 8:03pm On Aug 17, 2012
biofem2000:

For those having problem with food in the US, this is my advise. If it doesn`t look farmiliar, do not eat it. If it does look farmiliar, be careful how much you eat. You will soon discover how unhealthy most fast food are and how negatively eating out can affect your health and your pocket. There are too many fat people here and its so easy to become fat here with all the junk and the rest of them.
Here`s a few tip:
In place of egusi, I use sun flower seed. I get that from whole food. You`ll never miss egusi again.
When you buy rice, go for long grain perboiled ( Ha ha ha, i learnt the heard way). If you know someone with Sams club membership, you can get a box of long grain perboiled rice. Otherwise, buy the cheap perboiled long grain rice from walmark.
For beans, not everything that looks like beans is really beans (learnt that too). Go for black eye beans in small sachets at walmart( its your regular white beans)

Good luck.
I noticed that. Infact my Grad. Coordinator said I looked underfed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Anthonymighty(m): 8:24pm On Aug 17, 2012
Hey Guys. I have not been commenting for sometime. I was only doing the reading. So far; all the interview experiences shared...I noticed the VO all asked for GRE, SAT or TOEFL. But my school never asked me for that so I didn't do any of 'em. I am having an interview next month and I will like to know if that won't be a problem. I am going for Undergraduate studies. Will they still ask me for it because I noticed most of youz are for Masters. Kindly reply pls. Almighty imperioxxxx....I hail o. U too much. God bless ya 4 everything u have been doing here.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Anthonymighty(m): 8:29pm On Aug 17, 2012
Another thing. If they'll ask for it. Can I get a waiver from my school? If yes can someone tell me how? Because I donot know what to write. . Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by moruphb: 8:49pm On Aug 17, 2012
Hello guys,
Nice job y'all doin here, i need help with GRE and TOEFL materials...my email is moruphb@yahoo.com

God bless
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Ollydon(m): 8:54pm On Aug 17, 2012
Anthonymighty: Another thing. If they'll ask for it. Can I get a waiver from my school? If yes can someone tell me how? Because I donot know what to write. . Thanks
it increased ur chances of securing the visa..i just wrote Sat too..got 1340....iono if dats gud enof tho
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by ChitownBase: 9:09pm On Aug 17, 2012
Anthonymighty: Another thing. If they'll ask for it. Can I get a waiver from my school? If yes can someone tell me how? Because I donot know what to write. . Thanks

well i have not heard of anyone getting visa without TOeFL OR SAT but you can still try as much as u can to get a waiver from ur school and pray for GOD'S FAVOR.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by ChitownBase: 9:15pm On Aug 17, 2012
Ollydon: it increased ur chances of securing the visa..i just wrote Sat too..got 1340....iono if dats gud enof tho

depending on the school 1340 is a good score...during my time i scored 1560 and got a whooping 70% scholarship and i stayed off campus plus i got a job immedeitely when i resumed school....so i just pay 4k per year now. but never the less just dey pray for the interview thats just the most important thing...
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by ChitownBase: 9:23pm On Aug 17, 2012
biofem2000:

Here`s a few tip:

Good luck.

@biofem my belle don dey big ooo.....i am 3 months pregnant with pizza and junk food pls help i need aagunmu grin grin grin grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by GboyegaD(m): 9:29pm On Aug 17, 2012
imperiouxx:

Yea, the guy is really grateful but all gratefulness is for God because mine is only encouragement. In his first mail to me, he said I know such happened to you too that's why I'm writing you privately. I told him that day wasn't his day, he should pray and never give up and thank God he is happy today.

Just wondering why your friend did not post the experience himself and chose to send it to you in personal email since we usually encourage people to post their experience on the the thread be it good or bad.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by GboyegaD(m): 9:38pm On Aug 17, 2012
My Vicky: I have been a passive follower of this thread and I would like to appreciate all the nairalanders who have contributed meaningfully to this didactic thread. I had my interview at the US consulate general, on the 15th of August, 2012 and I would try to be brief about my interview experience. I earnestly pray that for those who have interviews afterwards, you will have success story to share. First, permit me say that just as many guys have said, the God factor can not be over-emphasized, you need the mercy and favor of God and I pray you have it in abundance on that day. Also, for first timers like myself, please ensure you have your photographs ready before your interview date cos those photographers near the embassy are out to drain you! Don't listen to anyone who offers to staple your documents for you, they will dupe you-the stapling will be done when you go in. I wouldn't advise you to arrive earlier than 1 hour before your appointment time else your precious time will be 'squandered'. Meanwhile, no two interview experiences are the same, i had to read Isaiah 50: 4-10 and it could be of help to someone. Now to my paraphrased interview proper: immediately my ticket no was displayed @ counter 1, I quickly walked up to the white guy there and....

Me: good afternoon sir ( I even forgot to smile)
Vo: afternoon, pass me your docs
Me: passed the docs (feverishly waiting for the next bombshell )
Vo: Which school are you going?
Me: abc university
Vo: is that the only school you applied to?
Me: I applied to six schools in the US, 4 admits.....
Vo: name them
Me: when I started....the Vo interrupts...
Vo: did you take the GRE?
Me: yes
Vo: show me the result and continue (guess he wanted to cross check the schools on the result )
Me: continued ( thank God my confidence level has increased here )
Vo: why abc university?
Me: good research facilities, good ranking, good student-faculty ratio and affordability (cos I already have two other better ranked schools on the result but more expensive than abc )
Vo: oh, you are offered a scholarship @ abc university?
Me: yes ( the very reason I chose abc over the other two! But dem no born me well make I tell the Vo oooooo )
At this point he was a little bit silent and then I understood the saying that silence is deafening than noise at times.....suddenly!!!
Vo: which school did you finish from?
Me: I graduated from the prestigious OAU!
Vo: why OAU?
Me: academic excellence, structural masterpiece, comprehensive reading, learning, culture and social uniqueness
Vo: (with a skeptical eye?) how do you compare Ife with the university of Lagos? ( in a matter of nanosecond, I thought 'how did this white guy know about Ife and Unilag? Then I revived.....)
Me: I just re-arranged my answer above and told him that, for those reasons, I will choose OAU anyday, anytime!!!
Vo: which course?
Me: told him
Vo: what will you do after your studies?
Me : (permit me to say that I borrowed a line from someone on this thread, I'm sorry I couldnt recollect the person's ID, please, pardon me for virtual, Internet plagiarism!).....I just opened my mouth and said....,
My current job requires expertise in this field of study, meaning that I would be able to immediately return back to Nigeria and apply those acquired skills towards the development of Nigeria......
Vo: tore the green ticket and told me to go pick my visa........
Me: thank you sir and good bye.

God did it and I am very grateful to the Lord. Yours will not be impossible!

Congrats and welcome aboard. Wish you a pleasant stay in the US.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by GboyegaD(m): 9:45pm On Aug 17, 2012
biofem2000:

Here`s a few tip:

Good luck.

I grin grin grin. I remember my beans experience and it was really funny. Saw Pinto na so I buy the thing. I cook am for 2hours before e gree soft small but at the end, the thing and okra dey do competition for who sabi draw pass.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by GboyegaD(m): 9:49pm On Aug 17, 2012
Chi-town Base:

depending on the school 1340 is a good score...during my time i scored 1560 and got a whooping 70% scholarship and i stayed off campus plus i got a job immedeitely when i resumed school....so i just pay 4k per year now. but never the less just dey pray for the interview thats just the most important thing...

Chi town, is it in the era of 1600 or 2400? Kindly clarify oooo.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Ollydon(m): 10:06pm On Aug 17, 2012
Chi-town Base:

thanks bro....u just made my day..atleast i shoukd get 50 per scholarship now? Or waddu u fink? I even read for one day...i was busy at my university ere
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by imperiouxx(m): 10:44pm On Aug 17, 2012
To join in kinda food talk fast, If you see very big tomato, watch out or shocked ya eyez!....genetically engineered vegs full here.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by imperiouxx(m): 10:44pm On Aug 17, 2012
GboyegaD:

Just wondering why your friend did not post the experience himself and chose to send it to you in personal email since we usually encourage people to post their experience on the the thread be it good or bad.

Yea, that was his decision and best known to him.

moroh:
I noticed that. Infact my Grad. Coordinator said I looked underfed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

XXL, that's the best word for them. Majority of Americans are like that, leg alone as thick as some Nigerians stomach. And they see you as baby just growing. I guess the reason they hardly know Nigerians real age at their embassy.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Nobody: 11:43pm On Aug 17, 2012
6packs:
Thanks got all 6mails,*study mode activated* wink
Pls I need some materials.
Kenbuying@gmail.com
Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by ChitownBase: 12:30am On Aug 18, 2012
Ollydon: thanks bro....u just made my day..atleast i shoukd get 50 per scholarship now? Or waddu u fink? I even read for one day...i was busy at my university ere

you welcome....but like i said it all depends on the school if u meet their scholarship requirement...but hope for the best bruh.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by ChitownBase: 12:33am On Aug 18, 2012
GboyegaD:

Chi town, is it in the era of 1600 or 2400? Kindly clarify oooo.

was the time of 2400...didnt get the best score but it was enuf to earn me 70percent scholarship..... grin grin grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by walex57(m): 4:57am On Aug 18, 2012
biofem2000:

Here`s a few tip:

Good luck.
Thanks so much...point taken...i stay far away in CA...but i don see naija peeps wey dey put me thru already...sun flower seed...need that badly...egusi levels...
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by walex57(m): 5:00am On Aug 18, 2012
moroh:
He dey craze?....wetin concern am..u no tell am say u be model ni? grin grin grin grin grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by walex57(m): 5:17am On Aug 18, 2012
Chi-town Base:

@biofem my belle don dey big ooo.....i am 3 months pregnant with pizza and junk food pls help i need aagunmu grin grin grin grin
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin...me wey go get long throat go order for double whopper for burger king...i never even eat am reach half wey my neck don dey expand...i for bring alabukun as chi tow base talk ooo...bush meat no dey hear...and abeg i fit set trap for the front of my house as i dey see squirrels dey move about...that na real bush meat ooo...dem dey hungry me as i dey see them....visa interviewees...i guess fall 2012 shld be getting finished by now...so spring applicants...all the very best ooo

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by bigfrancis21: 9:18am On Aug 18, 2012
Abmoney: Hello Friends, Please i need a Readable materials for GRE and TOEFL. I'd appreciate any kind response sent to my email. Abiolaforever@hotmail.co.uk

Sent.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by moruphb: 2:35pm On Aug 18, 2012
Hello guys,
Nice job y'all doin here, i need help with GRE and TOEFL materials...my email is moruphb@yahoo.com
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by madeit2thetop(m): 2:47pm On Aug 18, 2012
Chi-town Base:

was the time of 2400...didnt get the best score but it was enuf to earn me 70percent scholarship..... grin grin grin
pls how will I know maybe a school is giving scholarship or not
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by 6packs: 7:13pm On Aug 18, 2012
moruphb: Hello guys,

Sent
Bem_bem:
Pls I need some materials.
Kenbuying@gmail.com
Thanks

Do you have another email,got a deamon mail

(1) (2) (3) ... (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) (54) ... (273)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 9 / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.