Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,186 members, 7,835,938 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 05:50 PM

Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture (32015 Views)

Diary Of An Ibadan Hustler In Lagos / Which Of These European Countries Is Good To Live In As Hustler/jjc / Null (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by deshysmalls(m): 4:49pm On Jul 19, 2012
This picture has been making rounds here in Europe, as a 22 years old second year student this is the job i am doing (part time) and i can proudly say i love it.
Not only because i can afford a house and car of my own(No bragging intended), but also because you know there is dignity in labor here and you are treated and addressed with respect irrespective of what you do which severely lacks in our part of the world.
Apart from the obvious, most people prefer these odd jobs abroad because it gives you flexibility and you can possibly earn almost twice of what some people with white collar jobs earn because you can do double the number of hours they spend in their offices during the day, provided you have your permits intact.
So my question to you guys is what would you prefer...
(1)An office/less stressful job with good pay or
(2)An odd job that gives you flexibility plus a possibility to earn more
I am sure the answer will depend on individual understanding/preferences.
In addition to the above, can anyone suggest a legal job an undergraduate in Nigeria can do that will make him earn over 200,000 naira a month and will also not affect his/her studies because here you can earn more.

(Note)I am neither trying to change your mindsets nor get into an argument, but just to give a piece of my own humble opinion on this topic and it is also imperative to know that this is based on my own experience, so it may vary with individuals.

2 Likes

Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by Fhemmmy: 4:49pm On Jul 19, 2012
justwise:

I'm not.

OK, but you know your onion on Britain.
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by justwise(m): 4:55pm On Jul 19, 2012
Fhemmmy:

OK, but you know your onion on Britain.

I try.
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by lond07: 4:56pm On Jul 19, 2012
Fhemmmy:

Probably cos of how Mama Nkechi will be insulting and assaulting them.

If the Court of Law could make Mama Nkechi a scape goat to pay heavily for her uncivilised attitude,

* Millions will learn to treat others with respect irrespective of the services they render.

* Millions will be ready to do the job because it will not rob on their ego

The job thereafter will be more respected and uplifted to offer at least minimum standard of living
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by AjanleKoko: 4:57pm On Jul 19, 2012
The irony about cleaning jobs in Nigeria is: The cleaners get paid peanuts, but the companies that do get the cleaning contracts get paid very well.
Likewise private security. It's not unusual to have a security guard earning between N5k and N10k a month, but the company is probably charging the corporate client between N50k and N75k a month per guard.

I'm sure some 'under the table' jobs in the UK would prolly be like that.
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by Fhemmmy: 4:58pm On Jul 19, 2012
lond07:

If the Court of Law could make Mama Nkechi a scape goat to pay heavily for her uncivilised attitude,

* Millions will learn to treat others with respect irrespective of the services they render.

The job thereafter will be more respected and uplifted to offer at least minimum standard of living

That is the big "if" . . .
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by justwise(m): 5:00pm On Jul 19, 2012
AjanleKoko: The irony about cleaning jobs in Nigeria is: The cleaners get paid peanuts, but the companies that do get the cleaning contracts get paid very well.
Likewise private security. It's not unusual to have a security guard earning between N5k and N10k a month, but the company is probably charging the corporate client between N50k and N75k a month per guard.

I'm sure some 'under the table' jobs in the UK would prolly be like that.

Yes if you are an illegal immigrant or working with wrong visa type.
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by AjanleKoko: 5:00pm On Jul 19, 2012
lond07:

This is so simplistic. How is that going to happen?
Why would Mama Nkechi be made to pay, for what exactly? Uncivilized attitude in a largely uncivilized society? Respect can't be enforced in a court of law; it's a function of what the society values. Think about why racism is a crime in Britain, but not in some other nations of Western Europe.

Besides, what exactly would you term 'minimum standard of living' in Nigeria? If a cleaner in Nigeria expects to be paid the same wages as the UK, he or she should head out to the UK to try their luck. The Nigeria of today won't provide that. It's not anybody's fault, it is just the way it is.
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by IleIfe2(m): 5:06pm On Jul 19, 2012
He who lives in a glass house shouldn't throw stones.

Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by lond07: 5:07pm On Jul 19, 2012
AjanleKoko:

This is so simplistic. How is that going to happen?
Why would Mama Nkechi be made to pay, for what exactly? Uncivilized attitude in a largely uncivilized society? Respect can't be enforced in a court of law; it's a function of what the society values. Think about why racism is a crime in Britain, but not in some other nations of Western Europe.

Besides, what exactly would you term 'minimum standard of living' in Nigeria? If a cleaner in Nigeria expects to be paid the same wages as the UK, he or she should head out to the UK to try their luck. The Nigeria of today won't provide that. It's not anybody's fault, it is just the way it is.

Huuuummmmm!!! Its a societal problem
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by cashmentor(m): 5:09pm On Jul 19, 2012
Fhemmmy:

Life is about choice, but when the only choice you have is choosing between one cos the other is not really a choice, then, what do you do
the opportunities in this Nation is too much to be ignored or left behind for the Chinese and other Asians to tap unto alone! The mistake many Nigerians make is that they devote too much time, effort and energy into their academic studies, only to realize when they leave school, that, The real education, the real hustle lay outside the four walls of the University!

What's my point? We need to be adventous enough in this country, i'm always sad when i hear Bs.c holders doing odd jobs, looking for jobs or becoming jobs to their parents?
Imagine if u create a product that sells for N1 here and target just 25million pple? U begin to realize why Dangote is the Richest Man in Africa!

1 Like

Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by lond07: 5:12pm On Jul 19, 2012
deshysmalls: This picture has been making rounds here in Europe, as a 22 years old second year student this is the job i am doing (part time) and i can proudly say i love it.
Not only because i can afford a house and car of my own(No bragging intended), but also because you know there is dignity in labor here and you are treated and addressed with respect irrespective of what you do which severely lacks in our part of the world.
Apart from the obvious, most people prefer these odd jobs abroad because it gives you flexibility and you can possibly earn almost twice of what some people with white collar jobs earn because you can do double the number of hours they spend in their offices during the day, provided you have your permits intact.
So my question to you guys is what would you prefer...
(1)An office/less stressful job with good pay or
(2)An odd job that gives you flexibility plus a possibility to earn more
I am sure the answer will depend on individual understanding/preferences.
In addition to the above, can anyone suggest a legal job an undergraduate in Nigeria can do that will make him earn over 200,000 naira a month and will also not affect his/her studies because here you can earn more.

(Note)I am neither trying to change your mindsets nor get into an argument, but just to give a piece of my own humble opinion on this topic and it is also imperative to know that this is based on my own experience, so it may vary with individuals.

You are on spot on the bolded, but I disagree with you on the second paragraph. White-colar job get class my bother. If you are eligible to work and your job is a technical/skilled job, the pay is miles apart to the cleaning job.
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by Nobody: 5:15pm On Jul 19, 2012
Na Wash! cool
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by sirAmeh(m): 5:16pm On Jul 19, 2012
man must eat.
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by AjanleKoko: 5:17pm On Jul 19, 2012
justwise: [/b]

Yes if you are an illegal immigrant or working with wrong visa type.

Possible.
Also, I find that most if not all of the cleaners and security guards I have come across in Nigeria don't have beyond school certificate. Some have maybe OND. I'm yet to come across one that has a degree.

However, a lot of the security guards (who are mostly men) are trying to get a degree from one part time school or the other.
A lot of the cleaners are women, and are either already married to some blue-collar person, or have kids outside wedlock. A few are also trying to get a degree as well.

There's a lot of similarity in both paradigms, either here or outside the country.

cashmentor: the opportunities in this Nation is too much to be ignored or left behind for the Chinese and other Asians to tap unto alone! The mistake many Nigerians make is that they devote too much time, effort and energy into their academic studies, only to realize when they leave school, that, The real education, the real hustle lay outside the four walls of the University!

What's my point? We need to be adventous enough in this country, i'm always sad when i hear Bs.c holders doing odd jobs, looking for jobs or becoming jobs to their parents?
Imagine if u create a product that sells for N1 here and target just 25million pple? U begin to realize why Dangote is the Richest Man in Africa!

I agree with at least the first paragraph of your post. Unfortunately in Nigeria, the real hustle is outside the school environment, and the people have not matured enough to understand the real meaning of that statement. So everybody tries to chase the paper certificate.

The one thing that disturbs me the most about Nigerians is very simple: We as a people don't believe that we can make it via hard, unglamorous work. For us, it's always going to be a lottery, so we spend all our time and energy playing it. Even in school, Nigerians pass exams but rarely learn anything of value.

2 Likes

Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by iHustle(m): 5:18pm On Jul 19, 2012
_
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by IbnTimothy: 5:19pm On Jul 19, 2012
fashizie: shut up dia n call a spade a spade
cos the pepper is more.period!

The pepper is more so are the bills

The truth is most Nigerians out here are simply hooked. They are not returning home because of the people's expectations....shame de catch them

ok see bills here for person wey de manage;
1. A decent 2bedroom flats cost averagely about £750/month (just multiply by 250 to convert to naira)
2. Plus council tax £100/month (band B) ..... this na after them don commot income tax and NI for your small pay o
3. Electricity+Gas bill £60 (with managing usage)
4. You cant leave your child at home, so to leave your child with child minder £30/day/child
5. Bus ticket £55/month. If you mistake drive a low cost car £200/month in road tax+insurance+fuel+etc (By the way petrol here is about £1.3/litre)
6. Phone bills £25
7. Internet and line rentals £20
7. Even church offering na in £ ....lol.... and the smallest note na £5
..... pikin de papa house de contribute to bills and rent

If you de 9ja de earn anything more than N50k/month ..... I won't advise you to leave your work for a N300k job in UK cos na the same thing..... cold no go let you leave under bridge

The only advantage for UK here na;
1. No Boko haram
2. Plane no de fall ontop house
3. Light and water dey ..... but you ma no go fit on am (for fear of bills)
4. No body go chop your money, but you no go fit chop anybody money too
5. The prime minister appear confident at least
6. You no go hear car horn
7. No Owambe we go block road
8. Them fit rob you if you waka for mid night very rare
9. You no go de hear english like 'parastatal'
10. Free health for your family and free school for your pikin
etc etc
All those things wey we de bring come pose na for charity shop (bend down select) and sales we buy them
...this is truth from my church mind o

I know Dr wey sell him hospital and everything only to come here de do care work (to dey bath them old mama them) ....im no be as my guy plan am .....no be say the work bad, just that he was doing better for 9ja

Gone are those days when the Wasiu go come abroad come de take am sing.....chai!!! those guys don deceive us ....LWKMD

oya come now .....

3 Likes

Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by MacLovington(m): 5:23pm On Jul 19, 2012
A cleaner in my former place of work was able to set up a business in Lagos, employing 4 people and he was about to complete his house then.
Ok had another part-time job, but also a menial one. His wife too was doing a menial job.

One machine he bought for his business cost about £7,000. I know because I used to help him make photocopies and send faxes.
That was over 10 years ago.

Some people with limited education come to Europe and grab every opportunity they get, even cleaning jobs. Because they probably had worse prospects back in Naija, they see it as a chance to do things.

Sometimes, it's not really about how much you earn, it's how you manage it.
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by iHustle(m): 5:24pm On Jul 19, 2012
megxo: big lie, work as a brick layers labourer n get paib N800 for the day....u too do d maths...mtcheew

N800 per day is equivalent to about £1168 per year. So what are you saying
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by brownlord: 5:26pm On Jul 19, 2012
why must every foolish thing make front page on NL, now moderator use ur sense, the people swipping road in edo state earn 10k naira, and if you do the same in europe may be you earn 1k, use ur head nw
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by iHustle(m): 5:29pm On Jul 19, 2012
IbnTimothy:

The truth is most Nigerians out here are simply hooked. They are not returning home because of the people's expectations....shame de catch them

1. A decent 2bedroom flats cost averagely about £750/month (just multiply by 250 to convert to naira)
2. Plus council tax £100/month (band B) ..... this na after them don commot income tax and NI for your small pay o
4. You cant leave your child at home, so to leave your child with child minder £30/day/child
5. Bus ticket £55/month. If you mistake drive a low cost car £200/month in road tax+insurance+fuel+etc (By the way petrol here is about £1.3/litre)
6. Phone bills £25

If you de 9ja de earn anything more than N50k/month ..... I won't advise you to leave your work for a N300k job in UK cos na the same thing..... cold no go let you leave under bridge

1. No Boko haram
etc etc
All those things wey we de bring come pose na for charity shop (bend down select) and sales we buy them

I know Dr wey sell him hospital and everything only to come here de do care work (to dey bath them old mama them) ....im no be as my guy plan am .....no be say the work bad, just that he was doing better for 9ja

Gone are those days when the Wasiu go come abroad come de take am sing.....chai!!! those guys don deceive us ....LWKMD

oya come now .....

O boy, you have spoken the truth.
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by justwise(m): 5:33pm On Jul 19, 2012
brownlord: why must every foolish thing make front page on NL, now moderator use ur sense, the people swipping road in edo state earn 10k naira, and if you do the same in europe may be you earn 1k, use ur head nw

Stop disgracing yourself.
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by MacLovington(m): 5:34pm On Jul 19, 2012
AjanleKoko:

Possible.
Also, I find that most if not all of the cleaners and security guards I have come across in Nigeria don't have beyond school certificate. Some have maybe OND. I'm yet to come across one that has a degree.

However, a lot of the security guards (who are mostly men) are trying to get a degree from one part time school or the other.
A lot of the cleaners are women, and are either already married to some blue-collar person, or have kids outside wedlock. A few are also trying to get a degree as well.

There's a lot of similarity in both paradigms, either here or outside the country.

I agree with at least the first paragraph of your post. Unfortunately in Nigeria, the real hustle is outside the school environment, and the people have not matured enough to understand the real meaning of that statement. So everybody tries to chase the paper certificate.

The one thing that disturbs me the most about Nigerians is very simple: We as a people don't believe that we can make it via hard, unglamorous work. For us, it's always going to be a lottery, so we spend all our time and energy playing it. Even in school, Nigerians pass exams but rarely learn anything of value.

Ajalenkoko,

You're kidding right? You have very limited experience of people. How do people get security licence without paper these days?

I know some with ACCA, MSc, all acquired in the UK and are still looking for a job. Some people(whites etc) used to unserestimate education of security guards in my work place until I told them one has an MPhil+ PGCE with a first degree, one an ACCA and a first degree, another a BSc + MBA. Some do other part-time jobs elsewhere but no job they like full-time, so stick to security full-time that helped pay their way through their degrees in the first place.
If you're in UK, you camn meet them and help with job!
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by Theblessed(f): 5:37pm On Jul 19, 2012
[size=16pt]Kunle, Abeg o o o!

You too much o o o! Like your style! grin

And for una wey dey criticize Kunle, nobe una gode call am names say, na poor road sweeper, abi?

Nigerians una big mouth, na only God go save una.

Kunle, ride on man, I like your style!!
[/size]
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by AjanleKoko: 5:39pm On Jul 19, 2012
MacLovington: .

Ajalenkoko,

You're kidding right? You have very limited experience of people. How do people get security licence without paper these days?

I know some with ACCA, MSc, all acquired in the UK and are still looking for a job. Some people( whites etc) used to unserestimate education of security guards in my work place until I told them one has an MPhil, one an MBA, another a BSc + MBA. Some do other paet-time jobs elsewhere but no job they like full-time, so stick to security full-time that helped pay their way through their degrees in the first place.
If you're in UK, you camn meet them and help with job!

Re-read my post. I said 'In Nigeria'.
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by cheikh: 5:51pm On Jul 19, 2012
ebamma
a cleaner in the uk earns an estimate of 40,000 pounds to 70,000 pounds a year,which in naira is between 10 million to 17.5 million naira.many bankers in Nigeria dont earn upto that.

@^^ That's exactly the mindset of a misguided people where "fantasy and greed" has taken hold grin. Naija na waoo sad shocked.
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by vinibabe: 5:53pm On Jul 19, 2012
[quote author=IbnTimothy]

6. Phone bills £25

1. No Boko haram
etc etc

oya come now .....
Thank you abeg for saying it pop and plain
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by Godogwu: 5:53pm On Jul 19, 2012
Honeycity: a cleaner in abroad could still afford to own a three bedroom bungalow after like 10yrs abroad, while a cleaner here will forever live in a face me i face you till he dies

Please in which abroad can a cleaner afford a three bedrooms en after ten years, who even told you it's easy for them to save? Is virtually impossible even if that person has two to three cleaning jobs......and there are many factors that come to play in the kind of three bedroom that cleaner is affording.....probably one in some ghetto area where they'd be paying 300-600 dollars a month if they can even afford it...
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by Akpan107(m): 5:55pm On Jul 19, 2012
fashizie: shut up dia n call a spade a spade
cos the pepper is more.period!
If it was in Nigeria, the highest he can recieve as salary will not be more than N18k.
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by Goldieluks: 6:01pm On Jul 19, 2012
chucky234: We too much for Naija,the life of a hustler in picture.

Yes cause if kunle is uneducated and an illegal immigrant, he'd do those menial jobs in Europe.
But if he is uneducated in Africa( Nigeria per say) with fraudulent connections, he possibly would work in a
well equipped office, drive big cars and lead a well desirable lifestyle.
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by deshysmalls(m): 6:05pm On Jul 19, 2012
Yeah thanks bro, i get your drift but like i said this is based on my experience plus remember i am but an UNDERGRADUATE with no serious qualifications yet maybe i wasn't explicit enough with my previous explanation.
lond07:

You are on spot on the bolded, but I disagree with you on the second paragraph. White-colar job get class my bother. If you are eligible to work and your job is a technical/skilled job, the pay is miles apart to the cleaning job.
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by ebamma(m): 6:05pm On Jul 19, 2012
a cleaner in the uk who may earn atleast 10,000 pounds a year,which is about 2.5 million naira,is still earning more than some bankers in nigeria.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

List Of Islands In Nigeria / "Young People Who Chartered Plane Chose To Disembark With Ladder"-AeroContractor / Lagos State Government Shares Throwback On Molue

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.