Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,238 members, 7,815,321 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:47 AM

The Skeptic - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Skeptic (2206 Views)

The Skeptic's Guide To Tongues And Prophecy / How I Became A Rational Skeptic / Skeptic Mouth Stoppers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Skeptic by MacDaddy01: 1:41pm On Jul 21, 2012
Mr_Anony:
Your definitions are still funny; number 1 firmly defines atheism as anti-religion. and number 2 defines nearly every organization as a religion.

How? How does the first definition put atheism as a religion? Does atheism have a set of beliefs or rituals?

The second definition is very vague, I agree. I should have looked for a better second definition.

Mr_Anony:

Dude na wetin na. Why are you so obsessed with telling me that your Jesus is dead? Na me kill am for you?

Your sarcasm fails. Jesus is dead. Has been off the earth since 2000 years ago. Keep lying to yourself that you have a relationship with him. A guy that you have no idea what he looks like or whether he even existed in the first place.

1 Like

Re: The Skeptic by Nobody: 4:19pm On Jul 21, 2012
Macdaddy, I have been laughing since I began reading your exchanges with Mr Anony. Geez, dude, you're a serious case o. You tell us that we shouldn't try to press our beliefs upon you (which we don't) then you nearly burst a vessel insisting that our Jesus is dead. Hehehehe. Guy you too much.
I was just wondering if I should take you up on that, but considering what a case you are, I am better off employing my reasoning elsewhere. Jọọ, our Jesus is very much alive and well, more so than your family that I've never met or heard of and who must all be dead (if your reasoning were the right way to reason). You don't know Him, so He's dead to you, ok! I'm not at all troubled by that. I KNOW HIM, and I speak with Him, I eat with Him, do everything with Him. He's my best buddy, my Dad, my Bro, my confidante, my God. If He's not that to you, well, that's all entirely your problem. But it's hilarious to try to tell me what He is and what He is not when you do not acknowledge Him in the first place.

Religion? Like I care what you call my relationship with Christ. You can give a dog a bad name just so you can hang it, doesn't change the fact it ain't his name lol
Re: The Skeptic by MacDaddy01: 4:34pm On Jul 21, 2012
Ihedinobi: Macdaddy, I have been laughing since I began reading your exchanges with Mr Anony. Geez, dude, you're a serious case o. You tell us that we shouldn't try to press our beliefs upon you (which we don't) then you nearly burst a vessel insisting that our Jesus is dead. Hehehehe. Guy you too much.
I was just wondering if I should take you up on that, but considering what a case you are, I am better off employing my reasoning elsewhere. Jọọ, our Jesus is very much alive and well, more so than your family that I've never met or heard of and who must all be dead (if your reasoning were the right way to reason).

Religion? Like I care what you call my relationship with Christ. You can give a dog a bad name just so you can hang it, doesn't change the fact it ain't his name lol

lol.....Christianity is not a religion......why are you trying to copy atheists? Atheism is not a religion.

Once you believe in a personal God with certain rites, you belong to a religion.

Ihedinobi:
You don't know Him, so He's dead to you, ok! I'm not at all troubled by that. I KNOW HIM, and I speak with Him, I eat with Him, do everything with Him. He's my best buddy, my Dad, my Bro, my confidante, my God. If He's not that to you, well, that's all entirely your problem. But it's hilarious to try to tell me what He is and what He is not when you do not acknowledge Him in the first place.

You eat with Jesus? You speak with him?

This is what religion does to you! It makes you believe in imaginary friends. So, you eat with an invisible man everyday? LMAO
I was a christian for 22 years and so i understand the delusion that you're into.

[img]http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg377/scaled.php?server=377&filename=adultswithimaginaryfrieyq6.jpg&res=landing[/img]
Re: The Skeptic by Nobody: 5:49pm On Jul 21, 2012
MacDaddy01:

lol.....Christianity is not a religion......why are you trying to copy atheists? Atheism is not a religion.

Once you believe in a personal God with certain rites, you belong to a religion.

well, that's just it bro. If there are rites in my relationship with Jesus Christ, I'm totally unaware of them. Dude, I done already told you what religion is in the thread where we first interacted. It was your thread, by the way. I don't conceive certain ideas about God and build a ceremony about them. That's what religion does, something like you're doing with your atheism, by the way lol. I relate with my God as a son relates with his father. Whether you believe it or not is your problem.

MacDaddy01: You eat with Jesus? You speak with him?

This is what religion does to you! It makes you believe in imaginary friends. So, you eat with an invisible man everyday? LMAO
I was a christian for 22 years and so i understand the delusion that you're into.

Dude, I better come straight out and tell you: YOU WERE NEVER A CHRISTIAN. PERIOD. You never knew God. You never knew Jesus Christ. You might have been born into a family tradition like a bunch of us, including myself, were, but you never got to know Jesus Christ. Perhaps that emptiness generated a need for something to fill it and rather than take the opportunity of it to seek God for yourself, you sought to escape it with a denial of the existence of the thing for which you hunger. That's why you take all these arguments so personally. You just hate being reminded how hungry you are, don't you? Lots of us used the occasion of that same hunger to pursue God. We looked everywhere for God until we learned why we couldn't find Him: we were incapable of discerning Him. But that gave us one answer: ask Him to find us since we had no idea what He looked like. Guess what? He did! And are we at peace? Sure. Can you accuse me of being otherwise?

If you don't like God, good for you, bro. I'm not gonna lose my faith in Him just cos you don't believe. Jesus Christ is as available to you as He was to me when I was going crazy with frustration trying to find Him. But He won't and will never come to you on your arrogant terms. You think you're so smart and you keep flinging your intelligence in our faces, why don't you just live satisfied with it then? Why can't you just be happy with it? What kind of emptiness makes it so necessary for you to attack everything Christian? And don't give me that crap about pitying us lost souls satisfied with an illusion. At least, we're satisfied and can logically defend the illusion. My life is working out in the most amazing way. I have downs and crazy outs but I keep bouncing back and better. I've never seen air but my sustenance depends on it, same with my Jesus except I actually see Him...in guys like Mr Anony and in inventions like the computer. How I can perceive Him there may be where my madness or stupidity (according to you) lies.

I'll tell you a story to end my sermon. Six blind men went to see an elephant (imagine that!). One felt the tail with his hands, another the tusk, yet another the trunk, the fourth the ear, the fifth the side and the sixth the leg.
They all left with conflicting (surprise, surprise) views of what the elephant was like. To the first, it was like a rope, to the second it was like a spear, to the third it was like a snake, to the fourth it was like a fan. To the fifth it was like a wall, and to the sixth the elephant was a tree!
Obviously the elephant is like none of these things, but each had some experience that resulted in a conceptualisation of the elephant as one of them. This is what all those religions, including the one you claim you broke from and called Christianity, are: blind men who take one feature of God and stretch it into nonsense. But here's where they're better than atheism/skepticism/agnosticism: at least there's something they can compare their views with, something, even though it's foolish and absurd, upon which they base their view of God.
Atheists, on the other hand, have nothing, zilch, nada, nought, to base their philosophy on. You didn't see or even feel the elephant, but when it walks, you define an earthquake, when it trumpets, you scream about sound waves and air molecules, when it uproots whole trees, you delve into geology. Lordy! And you call us confused and silly! How in the world does "how?" answer for "why?" I'll never know for the life of me.
We Christians have seen with our own eyes, have touched with our own hands, heard with our own ears, tasted with our own tongue the Lord of glory and we are convinced of Him. Our lives are built upon Him. He proves everyday what a sure foundation He is for us. If you need no foundation, I beg you don't bother with Him. We do and we're as satisfied as can be, ehn. Se o ti gban? Haba!!!
Re: The Skeptic by MacDaddy01: 7:41pm On Jul 21, 2012
Ihedinobi:

well, that's just it bro. If there are rites in my relationship with Jesus Christ, I'm totally unaware of them. Dude, I done already told you what religion is in the thread where we first interacted. It was your thread, by the way. I don't conceive certain ideas about God and build a ceremony about them. That's what religion does, something like you're doing with your atheism, by the way lol. I relate with my God as a son relates with his father. Whether you believe it or not is your problem.

Dude, I better come straight out and tell you: YOU WERE NEVER A CHRISTIAN. PERIOD. You never knew God. You never knew Jesus Christ. You might have been born into a family tradition like a bunch of us, including myself, were, but you never got to know Jesus Christ. Perhaps that emptiness generated a need for something to fill it and rather than take the opportunity of it to seek God for yourself, you sought to escape it with a denial of the existence of the thing for which you hunger. That's why you take all these arguments so personally. You just hate being reminded how hungry you are, don't you? Lots of us used the occasion of that same hunger to pursue God. We looked everywhere for God until we learned why we couldn't find Him: we were incapable of discerning Him. But that gave us one answer: ask Him to find us since we had no idea what He looked like. Guess what? He did! And are we at peace? Sure. Can you accuse me of being otherwise?

If you don't like God, good for you, bro. I'm not gonna lose my faith in Him just cos you don't believe. Jesus Christ is as available to you as He was to me when I was going crazy with frustration trying to find Him. But He won't and will never come to you on your arrogant terms. You think you're so smart and you keep flinging your intelligence in our faces, why don't you just live satisfied with it then? Why can't you just be happy with it? What kind of emptiness makes it so necessary for you to attack everything Christian? And don't give me that crap about pitying us lost souls satisfied with an illusion. At least, we're satisfied and can logically defend the illusion. My life is working out in the most amazing way. I have downs and crazy outs but I keep bouncing back and better. I've never seen air but my sustenance depends on it, same with my Jesus except I actually see Him...in guys like Mr Anony and in inventions like the computer. How I can perceive Him there may be where my madness or stupidity (according to you) lies.

I'll tell you a story to end my sermon. Six blind men went to see an elephant (imagine that!). One felt the tail with his hands, another the tusk, yet another the trunk, the fourth the ear, the fifth the side and the sixth the leg.
They all left with conflicting (surprise, surprise) views of what the elephant was like. To the first, it was like a rope, to the second it was like a spear, to the third it was like a snake, to the fourth it was like a fan. To the fifth it was like a wall, and to the sixth the elephant was a tree!
Obviously the elephant is like none of these things, but each had some experience that resulted in a conceptualisation of the elephant as one of them. This is what all those religions, including the one you claim you broke from and called Christianity, are: blind men who take one feature of God and stretch it into nonsense. But here's where they're better than atheism/skepticism/agnosticism: at least there's something they can compare their views with, something, even though it's foolish and absurd, upon which they base their view of God.
Atheists, on the other hand, have nothing, zilch, nada, nought, to base their philosophy on. You didn't see or even feel the elephant, but when it walks, you define an earthquake, when it trumpets, you scream about sound waves and air molecules, when it uproots whole trees, you delve into geology. Lordy! And you call us confused and silly! How in the world does "how?" answer for "why?" I'll never know for the life of me.
We Christians have seen with our own eyes, have touched with our own hands, heard with our own ears, tasted with our own tongue the Lord of glory and we are convinced of Him. Our lives are built upon Him. He proves everyday what a sure foundation He is for us. If you need no foundation, I beg you don't bother with Him. We do and we're as satisfied as can be, ehn. Se o ti gban? Haba!!!

IRONY- I was like you some years ago! I was brainwashed into thinking christianity was the way.

This is why christians are never taken seriously by atheists. I told you that I was a christian for 22 years and what do you say? You tell me that I was not a real christian. How judgmental! And how do you know that I was not a real christian. Care to provide evidence?

What makes you different from other christians like me in the past? Nothing. Not one damn thing.

As for rites. You have rites. Do you pray? Do you read the bible? Do you praise Yaweh?

Shut the F*ck up and accept the fact that christianity is a religion, gaddem it! Amen
Re: The Skeptic by Nobody: 9:25pm On Jul 21, 2012
MacDaddy01:

IRONY- I was like you some years ago! I was brainwashed into thinking christianity was the way.

This is why christians are never taken seriously by atheists. I told you that I was a christian for 22 years and what do you say? You tell me that I was not a real christian. How judgmental! And how do you know that I was not a real christian. Care to provide evidence?

What makes you different from other christians like me in the past? Nothing. Not one damn thing.

As for rites. You have rites. Do you pray? Do you read the bible? Do you praise Yaweh?

Shut the F*ck up and accept the fact that christianity is a religion, gaddem it! Amen

I'm brainwashed?! Dude, you ain't got nothin to say, hear? You don't know jack about Christianity. If YOU are the smart one here, why is it such a difficult thing for you to marshal coherent arguments based on logical principles to demolish the reality of God? Ain't nobody started an argument for His existence on this forum far as I have seen but you begin to run around with everything but a clear incontrovertible response to them. You have to be kept in line. For you, to have more than one person responding with intent to discredit one other person's argument is the same as debunking that person's argument, phew... Would you like to go back to that thread? There's hardly anyone still standing up to my claims.

Why should I accept that Christianity is a religion? Cos YOU, a 24-yr (or thereabouts) old rabid atheist with 22 of those years spent toeing the lines of an institution far from the Way of Christ, say so? Hehehe...now, there's a laugh, dude. Say something more intelligent.

Atheists don't take Christians seriously? That's why they invade every discussion that has even a small bearing upon Christ?

Dude, as for judging you, believe me, I can...and correctly too. If you were ever really one, you'd never have left smiley We avoid all that judging thing in arguments so you can have wiggle room, but if you take me to task, I promise that I will lay you bare and every insult you employ will serve to strip you further.
Re: The Skeptic by MacDaddy01: 9:34pm On Jul 21, 2012
Ihedinobi:

I'm brainwashed?! Dude, you ain't got nothin to say, hear? You don't know jack about Christianity. If YOU are the smart one here, why is it such a difficult thing for you to marshal coherent arguments based on logical principles to demolish the reality of God? Ain't nobody started an argument for His existence on this forum far as I have seen but you begin to run around with everything but a clear incontrovertible response to them. You have to be kept in line. For you, to have more than one person responding with intent to discredit one other person's argument is the same as debunking that person's argument, phew... Would you like to go back to that thread? There's hardly anyone still standing up to my claims.

Why should I accept that Christianity is a religion? Cos YOU, a 24-yr (or thereabouts) old rabid atheist with 22 of those years spent toeing the lines of an institution far from the Way of Christ, say so? Hehehe...now, there's a laugh, dude. Say something more intelligent.

Atheists don't take Christians seriously? That's why they invade every discussion that has even a small bearing upon Christ?

Dude, as for judging you, believe me, I can...and correctly too. If you were ever really one, you'd never have left smiley We avoid all that judging thing in arguments so you can have wiggle room, but if you take me to task, I promise that I will lay you bare and every insult you employ will serve to strip you further.

So you have emotions too?!! grin grin grin grin Good to see you fired up!

Anyways, you have not stated how you are different from the christian macdaddy of 2 years ago.

Anyways point me to that thread you speak off. You need to be denbunked hard!
Re: The Skeptic by Nobody: 10:39pm On Jul 21, 2012
MacDaddy01:

So you have emotions too?!! grin grin grin grin Good to see you fired up![quote author=MacDaddy01]

Anyways, you have not stated how you are different from the christian macdaddy of 2 years ago.

Re: The Skeptic by MrAnony1(m): 10:57pm On Jul 21, 2012
@Ihedinobi, Dude, forget logicboy, the guy will just tire you with aimless arguments. Spend your time on something better.
Re: The Skeptic by Nobody: 10:59pm On Jul 21, 2012
MacDaddy01:

So you have emotions too?!! grin grin grin grin Good to see you fired up!

Sure I do. I just don't take orders from them.

MacDaddy01: Anyways, you have not stated how you are different from the christian macdaddy of 2 years ago.

That? I have, haven't I? You observed certain tenets and articles of faith, didn't you? Performed or participated in certain ceremonies or rites? Followed as best you could (if even that) what experts in theology as sanctioned by the organisation you belonged to said?
Well, I'm not anything like that. My faith is founded not in something some men in special clothing and mouthing largely incomprehensible statements said, nor yet in certain ceremonies, nor in buildings, but in a Person. My faith is all about Christ Jesus, a Person, substantial and full-orbed. What He does not tell me I do not know, regardless how many priests scream it in my ears. Do I pray? Sure I do, but not as a rite, any more than talking to you on nairaland is a rite. When I'm having a hard time and just wanna cry, I do so on His shoulder. When I just wanna scream for excitement, I do it with Him. I tell Him everything that matters to me whether I'm lying down, reading a book or working. He's a very ready ear and He helps me out a hell of a lot with so many issues. Things that would stagger you He has done for me. I don't have any friend nearly like Him. Without Him, I'd be just another homeless straggler passing time while I wait to die. Did you have any of that?

MacDaddy01:

Sure and welcome too! Funny thing is you were one of the main respondents on it. But you just couldn't hold up your end.

www.nairaland.com/992952/idehn-logicboy-macdaddy-mkmyers45-delafruita#11468914

You start jumping around there, and I'll shut you down, dude. Stay on point and make a real effort to debunk me.
Re: The Skeptic by Nobody: 11:02pm On Jul 21, 2012
Mr_Anony: @Ihedinobi, Dude, forget logicboy, the guy will just tire you with aimless arguments. Spend your time on something better.

I intend to, bro. I'm coming on the new thread you started. Would have already but the Internet here is so slow.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Difference Between JESUS CHRIST And Muhammad / I Have A Very Big God O Who Is Always By My Side / Birthday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.