Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,603 members, 7,809,189 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:59 AM

Africans With Foreign Names - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Africans With Foreign Names (3744 Views)

African Identity: Nigerians And Their Foreign Names / Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? / Why Do Africans Have Foreign Names? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Africans With Foreign Names by honeric01(m): 10:07am On Jul 20, 2012
Why do Africans bear Foreign/White names but the foreigners/Whites never bear our African names? is this an issue of complex? White supremacy or the symptoms of colonial mentality?

The worse of it all is Africans with Foreign/White surnames.
Do we hate ourselves?
Do we hate the fact that we are black and that things that relates to us are "inferior"?
Do we just hate anything not white/foreign?
Re: Africans With Foreign Names by Nobody: 11:16am On Jul 20, 2012
Firstly, it's as a result of colonial mentality which begets inferiority complex.
Some of them don't even know of the meaning of those names. The fact that the name is not African is reason enough to bear it.
Some of us even bother about the right way & accent with which to pronounce the names.
Re: Africans With Foreign Names by honeric01(m): 11:39am On Jul 20, 2012
kwangi: Firstly, it's as a result of colonial mentality which begets inferiority complex.
Some of them don't even know of the meaning of those names. The fact that the name is not African is reason enough to bear it.
Some of us even bother about the right way & accent with which to pronounce the names.

It sucks when someone bearing Bukola (such a fine name) changes it to bekky, Adeola to Adex, Chukwuwa (cute) to chuks (This is even for those who doesn't want to bear foreign names but they still make their names sound foreign and trying to re-tune it.

Why would someone even bear FOREIGN surname for God's sake? so if possible, they can even bleach their skins until it turns to white?
Re: Africans With Foreign Names by Nobody: 12:18pm On Jul 20, 2012
honeric01:

It sucks when someone bearing Bukola (such a fine name) changes it to bekky, Adeola to Adex, Chukwuwa (cute) to chuks (This is even for those who doesn't want to bear foreign names but they still make their names sound foreign and trying to re-tune it.

Why would someone even bear FOREIGN surname for God's sake? so if possible, they can even bleach their skins until it turns to white?
The foreign surname issue is the phenomenon that surprises me the most. Come on! It's ur SURNAME for Okoro's sake.
You ever heard names like ThankGod, Goddowell, Godspower, and the like. If not inferiority complex, tell me why a mother cannot say thank god in her language and christen her child alike. The only problem in her brainwashed mind will be that names like that in her language won't be cool enough for her European masters.
Personally, I don't think adherence to foreign religions helps.
Re: Africans With Foreign Names by anonymous6(f): 12:32pm On Jul 20, 2012
honeric01: Why do Africans bear Foreign/White names but the foreigners/Whites never bear our African names? is this an issue of complex? White supremacy or the symptoms of colonial mentality?

Do we hate ourselves?
Do we hate the fact that we are black and that things that relates to us are "inferior"?

Colonization started that but some of it wasn't by choice like surnames(but it can be changed), I have heard people reform their african name to sound more English or some are already born with a English name already However their are many africans that don't subscribe to that for example me and my siblings all have yoruba names and we never reform them to sound more westernized or conform or anything, so it is training. To me it falls on the parents if you train the kids of the importance of their african culture they are from then the importance of African names supercede foreign names but if you don't and try to be something you are not that is what happens in the end of the day.
Re: Africans With Foreign Names by honeric01(m): 1:41pm On Jul 20, 2012
kwangi: The foreign surname issue is the phenomenon that surprises me the most. Come on! It's ur SURNAME for Okoro's sake.
You ever heard names like ThankGod, Goddowell, Godspower, and the like. If not inferiority complex, tell me why a mother cannot say thank god in her language and christen her child alike. The only problem in her brainwashed mind will be that names like that in her language won't be cool enough for her European masters.
Personally, I don't think adherence to foreign religions helps.

Ever heard of someone calling on radio to say someone else's name sounds LOCAL? i was so mad that day, wanted to call in to blast her.. it sucks.. even the president's cap(hat) to me is also very silly and i find it shameful.
Re: Africans With Foreign Names by honeric01(m): 1:45pm On Jul 20, 2012
anonymous6:

Colonization started that but some of it wasn't by choice like surnames(but it can be changed), I have heard people reform their african name to sound more English or some are already born with a English name already However their are many africans that don't subscribe to that for example me and my siblings all have yoruba names and we never reform them to sound more westernized or conform or anything, so it is training. To me it falls on the parents if you train the kids of the importance of their african culture they are from then the importance of African names supercede foreign names but if you don't and try to be something you are not that is what happens in the end of the day.

Bro/sis, if this remain, the next generation is going to get rid of anything African and we are going to be lost forever,some are even not teaching their kids the language and run after oyinbo name (weather na bible na o or na qu'ran name), all are foreign, is there no interpretation of these names in our languages?

My younger bro changed his name to my dad's English name even though my dad's got a native first name, i was kinda angry but i felt i should calm down, i am going to re-talk sense into him, if you need to use my dad's name and not our surname (family name), why not go for the native one? his own name is even English, just imagine how both's going to sound? totally lost.
Re: Africans With Foreign Names by anonymous6(f): 2:01pm On Jul 20, 2012
honeric01:

Bro/sis, if this remain, the next generation is going to get rid of anything African and we are going to be lost forever,some are even not teaching their kids the language and run after oyinbo name (weather na bible na o or na qu'ran name), all are foreign, is there no interpretation of these names in our languages?

My younger bro changed his name to my dad's English name even though my dad's got a native first name, i was kinda angry but i felt i should calm down, i am going to re-talk sense into him, if you need to use my dad's name and not our surname (family name), why not go for the native one? his own name is even English, just imagine how both's going to sound? totally lost.

I don't think you should lose hope on the young generation, majority of them at least in Nigeria and to a extent in the western world care about their nigerian culture, some just take longer then others to get there. Some of the reasons for this, has to do with them acting fake to conform, some has to do or most has to do with the training from their parents, and etc also you have to differentiate between the ones born in the western world compared to the ones that are not because it becomes a different territory. I know some yoruba families that born and raised their children in America and the children were raised in the culture, have yoruba names, and speak the language you wouldn't have guessed that they were born in America and I have seen the opposite for example I have seen kids from those households call themselves Tina instead of tinuke or Sean instead of Seun and then find out later on in the years that it wasn't worth it. At least those ones had nigerian names some had English names, at times a middle name and would identify themselves with that over their native name first name; these are the ones mind you who were not trained well about the culture from the beginning to begin with so I am not surprised.

I feel it is up to the parents in the end of the day to enforce that, so far the majority of Yoruba homes I know use their native names so at least that is a good thing but only half(ones born in America) go further and really train their children with the culture to a extent.
Re: Africans With Foreign Names by honeric01(m): 2:11pm On Jul 20, 2012
anonymous6:

I don't think you should lose hope on the young generation, majority of them at least in Nigeria and to a extent in the western world care about their nigerian culture, some just take longer then others to get there. Some of the reasons for this, has to do with them acting fake to conform, some has to do or most has to do with the training from their parents, and etc also you have to differentiate between the ones born in the western world compared to the ones that are not because it becomes a different territory. I know some yoruba families that born and raised their children in America and the children were raised in the culture, have yoruba names, and speak the language you wouldn't have guessed that they were born in America and I have seen the opposite for example I have seen kids from those households call themselves Tina instead of tinuke or Sean instead of Seun and then find out later on in the years that it wasn't worth it. At least those ones had nigerian names some had English names, at times a middle name and would identify themselves with that over their native name first name; these are the ones mind you who were not trained well about the culture from the beginning to begin with so I am not surprised.

I feel it is up to the parents in the end of the day to enforce that, so far the majority of Yoruba homes I know use their native names so at least that is a good thing but only half(ones born in America) go further and really train their children with the culture to a extent.

It's like you do not know what's going on, go on facebook and 2go to see how young people are corrupting their native names to sound "oyinboish" in the process killing and rendering the meaning of their names worthless.

What is in a name if not for the meaning? take away the meaning and it becomes anything like bingo, jack, bush e.t.c

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Africans With Foreign Names by anonymous6(f): 2:43pm On Jul 20, 2012
honeric01:

It's like you do not know what's going on, go on facebook and 2go to see how young people are corrupting their native names to sound "oyinboish" in the process killing and rendering the meaning of their names worthless.

What is in a name if not for the meaning? take away the meaning and it becomes anything like bingo, jack, bush e.t.c

I know what is going but it is not all of them, and I am on facebook certain times a week or months so I get it but I wouldn't use facebook only as the end all to your observation
Re: Africans With Foreign Names by YorubaOmoge: 2:43pm On Jul 20, 2012
honeric01: Why do Africans bear Foreign/White names but the foreigners/Whites never bear our African names? is this an issue of complex? White supremacy or the symptoms of colonial mentality?

Do we hate ourselves?

How many times are we going to discuss this on NL?
Re: Africans With Foreign Names by honeric01(m): 2:45pm On Jul 20, 2012
Yoruba_Omoge:

How many times are we going to discuss this on NL?

And how's it wrong if we discuss it again since it's getting worse?

Are you also one of them who calls Bukola Bekky?
Re: Africans With Foreign Names by YorubaOmoge: 2:48pm On Jul 20, 2012
honeric01:

Last names are carried on from generation to generation or changed through interracial marriage.

Don't tell me you expect people to change their last names because. . .

If you want to argue out first names, we can. However, the topic has been washed and worn out like 190's undies.
Re: Africans With Foreign Names by anonymous6(f): 2:51pm On Jul 20, 2012
honeric01:

This is the first time I have heard the name "bukola" being called Bekky lol
Re: Africans With Foreign Names by YorubaOmoge: 2:52pm On Jul 20, 2012
Bukola Bekky?

Honerico, my love nwatintin, you must be smoking grass.

Boy, stop lying lol.

2 Likes

Re: Africans With Foreign Names by honeric01(m): 2:53pm On Jul 20, 2012
anonymous6:

I know what is going but it is not all of them, and I am on facebook certain times a week or months so I get it but I wouldn't use facebook only as the end all to your observation

Getting worse every day and i fear for the nearest future.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Africans With Foreign Names by honeric01(m): 2:55pm On Jul 20, 2012
Yoruba_Omoge: Bukola Bekky?

Honerico, my love nwatintin, you must be smoking grass.

Boy, stop lying lol.

anonymous6:

This is the first time I have heard the name "bukola" being called Bekky lol

I am telling you, it seems you both have lost touch, call and ask your family members at home, you'd be shocked, if Seun can be turned to Sean, why not Bukola to Bekky? lol
Re: Africans With Foreign Names by YorubaOmoge: 2:58pm On Jul 20, 2012
honeric01:

I am telling you, it seems you both have lost touch, call and ask your family members at home, you'd be shocked, if Seun can be turned to Sean, why not Bukola to Bekky? lol

I've never heard anyone refer to Seun as Sean lol.

Are Yoruba names the only Americanized ones? I think you should change the topic title, to get more response; "Yoruba with foreign names".

The eyes of God are watching you.
Re: Africans With Foreign Names by anonymous6(f): 3:01pm On Jul 20, 2012
honeric01:

Getting worse every day and i fear for the nearest future.

I think you should calm down a bit because many people of the young generation including me don't change our cultural names for english names
Re: Africans With Foreign Names by anonymous6(f): 3:04pm On Jul 20, 2012
honeric01:

It is not shock but I never cam across the bukola/Bekky names before but I have heard of the sean/seun twice, thankfully one of them got back to reality and started calling himself by his name he was born wth seun
Re: Africans With Foreign Names by YorubaOmoge: 3:07pm On Jul 20, 2012
anonymous6:

It is not shock but I never cam across the bukola/Bekky names before but I have heard of the sean/seun twice, thankfully one of them got back to reality and started calling himself by his name he was born wth seun

Was he Nigerian or one of those ajebutta Oyinbo-born kids who can't even point to their father's land?
Re: Africans With Foreign Names by Nobody: 3:20pm On Jul 20, 2012
honeric01:

Mehn, I thought I was the only one that's annoyed by that. Half the time the names end up looking like some gaelic name. I call myself by my yoruba name and my kids have nothing but Yoruba names.
Re: Africans With Foreign Names by YorubaOmoge: 3:23pm On Jul 20, 2012
All this while, I thought naijababe was one 21-years old omoge.
Re: Africans With Foreign Names by Nobody: 3:28pm On Jul 20, 2012
Yoruba_Omoge: All this while, I thought naijababe was one 21-years old omoge.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin. I admit I do post like I'm an adolescent, some dude even told me today I have the brain of a fish!
Re: Africans With Foreign Names by Nobody: 3:28pm On Jul 20, 2012
AFRICANS NAMES ALL DAys everyday...... AFRICAN CAMEROONIAN AND PROUD=CAMEROONPRIDE cool cool cool coolAND I LOVE MY NAME cool cool

1 Like

Re: Africans With Foreign Names by YorubaOmoge: 3:30pm On Jul 20, 2012
naijababe:
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin. I admit I do post like I'm an adolescent, some dude even told me today I have the brain of a fish!

That's not what I meant. You dey post like one sisi eko.
Re: Africans With Foreign Names by honeric01(m): 3:34pm On Jul 20, 2012
Yoruba_Omoge:

I've never heard anyone refer to Seun as Sean lol.

Are Yoruba names the only Americanized ones? I think you should change the topic title, to get more response; "Yoruba with foreign names".

The eyes of God are watching you.

Ask anonymous6 about the Seun to Sean to see if i am lying.

I mentioned Chukwuma to Chucks, didn't i?
Re: Africans With Foreign Names by honeric01(m): 3:35pm On Jul 20, 2012
anonymous6:

I think you should calm down a bit because many people of the young generation including me don't change our cultural names for english names

Calm down? is that necessary? I was never up before or do you mean i should reduce the interest i have on this topic?
Re: Africans With Foreign Names by Nobody: 3:36pm On Jul 20, 2012
Yoruba_Omoge:

That's not what I meant. You dey post like one sisi eko.

Sister, make you nor miss am o, I be correct sisi eko! Mushin babe gidi gidi cool
Re: Africans With Foreign Names by honeric01(m): 3:36pm On Jul 20, 2012
anonymous6:

Well the Bukola one is so CLOSE to me that i can ARGUE that even in my sleep, she calls herself Bekky, i always "punch" sense into her head by bringing her out of her tiny wonder-oyinbo-land.
Re: Africans With Foreign Names by YorubaOmoge: 3:36pm On Jul 20, 2012
honeric01:

Ask anonymous6 about the Seun to Sean to see if i am lying.

I mentioned Chukwuma to Chucks, didn't i?

Mo kan n ba e sere ni.

This is a shocker to me sha. Na wa o.

From honerico to Erik. lol

My Yoruba name can't be changed. Toyang doesn't sound bad.
Re: Africans With Foreign Names by honeric01(m): 3:38pm On Jul 20, 2012
Yoruba_Omoge:

Was he Nigerian or one of those ajebutta Oyinbo-born kids who can't even point to their father's land?

Ajebuta ko, Ajubeta no, even the Kafilat the Nigerian lady dancer calls herself Kaffy, did i make that up to or is she also from an Ajebutter home?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Leave Us Alone, We Ain't Part Of You: Oba Of Benin Lashes Out / Yorubaland:the Best Place To Marry From? / Ondo Vs Edo State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.