Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,528 members, 7,819,904 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:04 AM

6 People You Need Around You To Help You Succeed - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 6 People You Need Around You To Help You Succeed (24272 Views)

How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? / 50 Interview Questions/answers That Will Help You Succeed In That Interview. / Can You Succeed Without A Job? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 6 People You Need Around You To Help You Succeed by waja(m): 5:00am On Jul 22, 2012
Just like my brother, Ebamma said, success has no process. You can only carve your niche when you have succeeded.
Re: 6 People You Need Around You To Help You Succeed by jevic(m): 6:50am On Jul 22, 2012
Boom. A good one
Re: 6 People You Need Around You To Help You Succeed by sucezTP(f): 7:39am On Jul 22, 2012
Leorichy: And One More.......... YOUR GOD-one you look unto in times of trouble

Yeah, right!
Re: 6 People You Need Around You To Help You Succeed by Ayubaayo: 7:40am On Jul 22, 2012
So you mean if i do all these, i'll succeed? *wiping my tears*
Re: 6 People You Need Around You To Help You Succeed by Icon4s(m): 7:49am On Jul 22, 2012
ebamma: there is no formula to success bro,its just that the successful people always want to make us believe that the followed a particular routine.
. The author did not quote any formular here. For ur information success does nt jump in2 anybody's palms. Are u saying for instance when u were in school u had no strategy? Or u don't currently have a strategy 4 ur career path or growth?If u dn't u are bound to fail.
@Op u omitted d no1 thing which is God.
Re: 6 People You Need Around You To Help You Succeed by 1peter29: 8:09am On Jul 22, 2012
jossy26: I want to ask if Dangote had any of these six people around him? Anyway, Good piece Mr Mac, but you can add the seventh one and the most important GOD
Yea... the most paramount is d Maker of heaven n earth. Prosperity doesnt come 4rm west, south, east n north bt 4rm God. Hes the One Wt gr8test connectn anyone can imagine! Thus, acknowledge Him in evrything you do n you ll b amazed what He wl make out of you.
Re: 6 People You Need Around You To Help You Succeed by Nobody: 8:49am On Jul 22, 2012
Icon4s: . Are u saying for instance when u were in school u had no strategy? Or u don't currently have a strategy 4 ur career path or growth?If u dn't u are bound to fail.
@Op u omitted d no1 thing which is God.

Icon4s, life is very complex. People with strategy do fail as well and we have seen people without strategy making it as well. Some don't even believe in going to University to succeed, I had friends who dropped out in 200 level and are doing well in their own business. Like ebamma rightly said. There is no pathway to success. Sometimes, all you need is luck and opportunity. For some people, all they need is point 5, connection and some people need just a push. Still all these do not guarantee success.

Then again, we all have different definition for success. For some salary earners, success is working for Mobil upstream and earning a fat salary monthly. To others, that is slavery and success is being independent, managing their own business even though they may be earning a meagre sum.

1 Like

Re: 6 People You Need Around You To Help You Succeed by yommy2sure(m): 9:28am On Jul 22, 2012
This post is really making me reflect on my life...its good if u gat all this 6 ppl, but what if you dont? For me I never had 1 to 5, and my biggest inspiration is a line from Whitney's song...'I never had anyone who fulfill my dreams, a lonely place to be and so I learnt to depend on ME.' I am thankful for the level I am today...One incident that really got me emotional was wen an interviewer obviously sensing how 'brilliant' I am from our conversation had to ask...'dont you have anyone anywhere that guide u and make placement or recommendation for you?.....I wish i Have the human Connector. Lovely post.

1 Like

Re: 6 People You Need Around You To Help You Succeed by nizebony: 10:45am On Jul 22, 2012
Billyonaire: Are these applicable to politicians ?
help me ask oo, imagine d gist g dis kind hardship wey dey nija
Re: 6 People You Need Around You To Help You Succeed by jephiano: 10:54am On Jul 22, 2012
As much as there would always be exceptions to the rule, there are some things that make for success. If you interviewed like 50 successful persons across the globe and from different backgrounds and fields, you would see that there are some qualities that basically mark them all. A strong vision of what they want out of life and the tenacity, perseverance and wherewithal needed to achieve this is usually a common denominator.
As for God, well as much as i believe in him and strive to live my life according to his dictates, i have learnt that material wealth and success are not what He views as true success. Moreover most of the 'successful' people today neither do believe in Him nor really care about pleasing Him. Thus God is not really needed to attain 'success' in our materialistic world of today. #mytwocents
Re: 6 People You Need Around You To Help You Succeed by Nobody: 11:12am On Jul 22, 2012
saxywale:

Icon4s, life is very complex. People with strategy do fail as well and we have seen people without strategy making it as well. Some don't even believe in going to University to succeed, I had friends who dropped out in 200 level and are doing well in their own business. Like ebamma rightly said. There is no pathway to success. Sometimes, all you need is luck and opportunity. For some people, all they need is point 5, connection and some people need just a push. Still all these do not guarantee success.

Then again, we all have different definition for success. For some salary earners, success is working for Mobil upstream and earning a fat salary monthly. To others, that is slavery and success is being independent, managing their own business even though they may be earning a meagre sum.

Very well said my man. Shows you have a deep and philosophical insight about life. Things are never simple and straightforward, and no formula can guarantee success for everone that applies it. Some even apply no formula at all but they achieve dramatic success through a stroke of good fortune. Some work hard and strategise to the end but they only end up with a life of mediocrity and toil. It's all very very complicated the way this world works.

1 Like

Re: 6 People You Need Around You To Help You Succeed by kandiikane(m): 11:45am On Jul 22, 2012
I like, I like, especially the doubter so ýóu can rub the success in his face(in a humble manner ofcourse).
tongue

You need him, so you can tell people, "I was told I won't make it but now here I am." smiley
Re: 6 People You Need Around You To Help You Succeed by GNBohr: 11:49am On Jul 22, 2012
Sexywale has said it all. No really successful person will tell you the exactness of the secrets and strategies to their success. The world is indeed complex, the more you look the less you see. It is good to read and take lessons from these inspirations but the most effective inspirations is yourself. Dont be straightjackets. Your personal life situations and experiences will form the secrets and strategies that will lead you to success or poverty. Besides there are powers that are above us that influences our destinations: the power of GOD and the power of DEVIL. The one you subscribe to will define what you call success. But I tell you in all sincerity, material sucess and political success in the eyes of today's world is strongly linked to the power of the DEVIL. He who doesnt know the success secrets of his peers will die in search of it. So, dont be deceived.
Re: 6 People You Need Around You To Help You Succeed by Santi222(m): 12:09pm On Jul 22, 2012
maclatunji: The 6 People You Need in Your Corner

Nothing incredible is accomplished alone. You need others to help you, and you need to help others. With the right team, you can form a web of connections to make the seemingly impossible practically inevitable.

1. The Instigator:
Someone who pushes you, who makes you think. Who motivates you to get up and go, and try, and make things happen. You want to keep this person energized, and enthusiastic. This is the voice of inspiration.

2. The Cheerleader:
This person is a huge fan, a strong supporter, and a rabid evangelist for you and your work. Work to make this person rewarded, to keep them engaged. This is the voice of motivation.

3. The Doubter:

This is the devil’s advocate, who asks the hard questions and sees problems before they arise. You need this person’s perspective. They are looking out for you, and want you to be as safe as you are successful. This is the voice of reason.

4. The Taskmaster:

This is the loud and belligerent voice that demands you gets things done. This person is the steward of momentum, making sure deadlines are met and goals are reached. This is the voice of progress.

5. The Connector:

This person can help you find new avenues and new allies. This person breaks through roadblocks into finds ways to make magic happen. You need this person to reach people and places you can’t. This is the voice of cooperation and community.

6. The Example:

This is your mentor, you hero, your North Star. This is the person who you seek to emulate. This is your guiding entity, someone whose presence acts as a constant reminder that you, too, can do amazing things. You want to make this person proud. This is the voice of true authority.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jessicahagy/2012/07/17/the-6-people-you-need-in-your-corner/

Excellent, but i'd like to ask a few questions. Whats the difference between an instigator/motivator and a rolemodel/example? Why is it that Doubters are usually looked upon as pessimistic people who are not interested in helping you succeed?
Re: 6 People You Need Around You To Help You Succeed by Santi222(m): 12:13pm On Jul 22, 2012
jephiano: As much as there would always be exceptions to the rule, there are some things that make for success. If you interviewed like 50 successful persons across the globe and from different backgrounds and fields, you would see that there are some qualities that basically mark them all. A strong vision of what they want out of life and the tenacity, perseverance and wherewithal needed to achieve this is usually a common denominator.
As for God, well as much as i believe in him and strive to live my life according to his dictates, i have learnt that material wealth and success are not what He views as true success. Moreover most of the 'successful' people today neither do believe in Him nor really care about pleasing Him. Thus God is not really needed to attain 'success' in our materialistic world of today. #mytwocents
I like what you said but I'd like to know, taking materialism away, Who or What exactly is a successful person in the eyes of the Lord God?
Re: 6 People You Need Around You To Help You Succeed by omoijoba1: 12:49pm On Jul 22, 2012
You are right bro! Successful people seldom know the reasons why they are successful, it is better to do what they do instead of what they say.

1 Like

Re: 6 People You Need Around You To Help You Succeed by jephiano: 1:44pm On Jul 22, 2012
Santi222: I like what you said but I'd like to know, taking materialism away, Who or What exactly is a successful person in the eyes of the Lord God?
In simple terms, a successful person in God's eyes is one that learns God's ways and does his utmost to live by them.(Joshua 1:8;Psalms 1:2,3) Naomi, Ruth, Joseph and Mary, etc were materially poor but can be viewed as successes in God' eyes due to their faithfulness and they would not be less in God's eyes than Abraham or other rich servants of God. God knows that money is important but it has limitations.(Ecclesiastes 7:1 and 12)my guy i no like to form pastor for NL! I hope u understand the small explanation sha.
Re: 6 People You Need Around You To Help You Succeed by maclatunji: 1:52pm On Jul 22, 2012
Santi222: Why is it that Doubters are usually looked upon as pessimistic people who are not interested in helping you succeed?

I understand what you mean perfectly. People tend to be overly optimistic about what their life will be, how their plans will succeed and so on. Hence, when they meet someone who says "Hey! Wait a second, your grand ideas aren't so grand", or "you are not as well-equipped to succeed as you think you are", they get irritated, annoyed and tend to see that person as "an enemy of progress". However, the truth is that you can learn from every criticism not matter how ill-motivated.

If you know you are naturally a doubter, you might want to moderate the way you express your doubts about people's plans to them; tell them: "Don't you think your plan would be much better if you did this, this and that?" Instead of: "This plan is too bad, it will not work because of XYZ, do it this way instead." If you learn to express your doubts in a helpful manner, people will see you as less of a pessimist, "bad belle", "enemy of progress" and see you as someone who has their best interests at heart.

Santi222: Whats the difference between an instigator/motivator and a rolemodel/example?

An instigator/motivator will actually push you to do something. He/She is that person that will say "Santi222, it is time you went and registered that business name, I don't have money to finance the new business, but once you register it, we will look at how to get the necessary funds."

On the other hand, a role model/example is someone you know-of who has achieved some success which you really admire and want to replicate or exceed. For example, a young footballer at a football academy may say to himself: "John Mikel Obihas won the UEFA Champions League with Chelsea, I want to achieve that one day and will do the hardwork it takes to get to that level. "

Let me add here that it is possible for an individual to be your instigator as well as role model. For example, I once heard that it was Richard Mofe Damijo (RMD) that told Wazobia fm's Yaw to go to the University and get an education if he wanted to succeed in the Arts/Entertainment Industry. In this case, Yaw went to his role model for advice and his role model became his instigator to go to the University that has helped him to become the successful On Air Personality (OAP) and Comedian he is today.

I hope I have answered your questions. smiley
Re: 6 People You Need Around You To Help You Succeed by EXCELLENCEAbia: 7:34am On Jul 23, 2012
Ninilowo:
Thank u o jare. some1 will write a book and title it: HOW TO MAKE MILLIONS and peole would buy it there by helping him to make his millions. I ve never come across any one of them making use of any point in the book to make their millions but they make their millions through the books they write. IMAGINE! This motivational speakers and writers have lead a lot of people astray by making them to resign pre maturely from their jobs. They will go to the extent of telling you that you can never make it as a salary earner. They will give you examlpes of successful people in the world but they will never make reference to those that have failed trying to go by their words.
i'm happy for this but sad that some are still building there castles on the air living in illusions, trying to live in others dream without know who and what they are made for. well God direct us
Re: 6 People You Need Around You To Help You Succeed by araromiii: 10:05am On Jul 23, 2012
GOOD TALK,MORE POWER TO YOUR ELBOW
WHERE CAN WE CATEGORIZE PEOPLE THAT CRITICIZE,
WHICH ARE CONSTRUCTIVE(?) ONES NOT
DESTRUCTIVE.(DOUBTERS)
Re: 6 People You Need Around You To Help You Succeed by Bolarge1(m): 10:07am On Jul 23, 2012
NICE PRESENTATION BY MACLATUNJI, BUT OUR FOREFATHERS NEVER HAD THESE PRESENTATIONS AND MANY WERE SUCCESSFUL.

IN THIS LIFE EVERYBODY HAS A CALENDAR. TIME TO SMILE, HAPPY, SAD, RICH, EAT, DRINK, FAST ETC.

WHEN YOUR TIME FOR BREAKTRU HAS COME SITUATIONS, CIRCUMSTSANCES AND CONDITIONS OF LIFE WHETHER GOOD OR BAD WILL TURN AROUND TO FAVOUR YOU.

IN THE BIBLE ABRAHAM AS CLOSE AS HE WAS TO GOD HAD AN APPOINTED TIME TO HAVE A PROMISED CHILD.

I WONDER WHY JOSEPH HAS TO GO TRU PRISON BE4 HE CAN BECOME A MINISTER IN EGYPT.

EVEN DAVID A MAN OF GOD'S HEART, SUFFERED TRIBULATION AFTER HE WAS ANNOINTED BY SAMUEL TO BECOME THE KING OF ISREAL, EVEN HE LATER RAN TO THE CAMP OF THE PHILLISTIANS AFTER HE HAD KILLED THEIR GOLIATH.

LET'S BE PATIENT WITH LIFE AT AN APPOINTED TIME IN OUR CALENDAR OF LIFE, OUR HELPERS WILL LOCATE AND HELP US TO MOVE TO THE NEXT LEVEL.

Re: 6 People You Need Around You To Help You Succeed by maclatunji: 10:39am On Jul 23, 2012
araromiii: GOOD TALK,MORE POWER TO YOUR ELBOW
DESTRUCTIVE.(DOUBTERS)

Doubters are not destructive, they only point-out the flaws in your plans or outlook to life. The post talks about people that can help you succeed. The people that can't help you succeed are not listed, these are the haters.
Re: 6 People You Need Around You To Help You Succeed by maclatunji: 10:43am On Jul 23, 2012
Bo-large:
NICE PRESENTATION BY MACLATUNJI, BUT OUR FOREFATHERS NEVER HAD THESE PRESENTATIONS AND MANY WERE SUCCESSFUL.

IN THIS LIFE EVERYBODY HAS A CALENDAR. TIME TO SMILE, HAPPY, SAD, RICH, EAT, DRINK, FAST ETC.

WHEN YOUR TIME FOR BREAKTRU HAS COME SITUATIONS, CIRCUMSTSANCES AND CONDITIONS OF LIFE WHETHER GOOD OR BAD WILL TURN AROUND TO FAVOUR YOU.

IN THE BIBLE ABRAHAM AS CLOSE AS HE WAS TO GOD HAD AN APPOINTED TIME TO HAVE A PROMISED CHILD.

I WONDER WHY JOSEPH HAS TO GO TRU PRISON BE4 HE CAN BECOME A MINISTER IN EGYPT.

EVEN DAVID A MAN OF GOD'S HEART, SUFFERED TRIBULATION AFTER HE WAS ANNOINTED BY SAMUEL TO BECOME THE KING OF ISREAL, EVEN HE LATER RAN TO THE CAMP OF THE PHILLISTIANS AFTER HE HAD KILLED THEIR GOLIATH.

LET'S BE PATIENT WITH LIFE AT AN APPOINTED TIME IN OUR CALENDAR OF LIFE, OUR HELPERS WILL LOCATE AND HELP US TO MOVE TO THE NEXT LEVEL.

A rather fatalistic way of thinking. Inasmuch as what you say is true. The best approach is to behave as if you don't know all you have stated and do your best at all times!
Re: 6 People You Need Around You To Help You Succeed by maclatunji: 1:31pm On Jul 23, 2012
araromiii: GOOD TALK,MORE POWER TO YOUR ELBOW
DESTRUCTIVE.(DOUBTERS)

Due to the fact that I noticed that you and some other people have been mixing-up "doubters" for "haters", I have created another thread that details people you need to either avoid or properly manage to be successful. Here is the link https://www.nairaland.com/997828/6-people-need-properly-manage

Cheers!
Re: 6 People You Need Around You To Help You Succeed by Euroclydon(m): 2:52pm On Jul 23, 2012
beautiful piece...e remain the omnipotent factor.
Re: 6 People You Need Around You To Help You Succeed by Santi222(m): 12:02am On Jul 26, 2012
maclatunji:

I understand what you mean perfectly. People tend to be overly optimistic about what their life will be, how their plans will succeed and so on. Hence, when they meet someone who says "Hey! Wait a second, your grand ideas aren't so grand", or "you are not as well-equipped to succeed as you think you are", they get irritated, annoyed and tend to see that person as "an enemy of progress". However, the truth is that you can learn from every criticism not matter how ill-motivated.

If you know you are naturally a doubter, you might want to moderate the way you express your doubts about people's plans to them; tell them: "Don't you think your plan would be much better if you did this, this and that?" Instead of: "This plan is too bad, it will not work because of XYZ, do it this way instead." If you learn to express your doubts in a helpful manner, people will see you as less of a pessimist, "bad belle", "enemy of progress" and see you as someone who has their best interests at heart.

An instigator/motivator will actually push you to do something. He/She is that person that will say "Santi222, it is time you went and registered that business name, I don't have money to finance the new business, but once you register it, we will look at how to get the necessary funds."

On the other hand, a role model/example is someone you know-of who has achieved some success which you really admire and want to replicate or exceed. For example, a young footballer at a football academy may say to himself: "John Mikel Obihas won the UEFA Champions League with Chelsea, I want to achieve that one day and will do the hardwork it takes to get to that level. "

Let me add here that it is possible for an individual to be your instigator as well as role model. For example, I once heard that it was Richard Mofe Damijo (RMD) that told Wazobia fm's Yaw to go to the University and get an education if he wanted to succeed in the Arts/Entertainment Industry. In this case, Yaw went to his role model for advice and his role model became his instigator to go to the University that has helped him to become the successful On Air Personality (OAP) and Comedian he is today.

I hope I have answered your questions. smiley
thanks a lot. U did. Clearly.
Re: 6 People You Need Around You To Help You Succeed by Santi222(m): 12:03am On Jul 26, 2012
jephiano:
In simple terms, a successful person in God's eyes is one that learns God's ways and does his utmost to live by them.(Joshua 1:8;Psalms 1:2,3) Naomi, Ruth, Joseph and Mary, etc were materially poor but can be viewed as successes in God' eyes due to their faithfulness and they would not be less in God's eyes than Abraham or other rich servants of God. God knows that money is important but it has limitations.(Ecclesiastes 7:1 and 12)my guy i no like to form pastor for NL! I hope u understand the small explanation sha.
thanks 4 d answer.
Re: 6 People You Need Around You To Help You Succeed by Mustay(m): 6:13pm On Jul 29, 2012
Success really is relative. Whilst 'successful' people get 'there' via different pathways, iBelieve we all got something to learn from people's experiences 'cos we certainly can't have the same storylines - "photocopy, ko easy" as 9ice did say.
Re: 6 People You Need Around You To Help You Succeed by Bayils(m): 10:14pm On Aug 08, 2012
10Billion: I'm really proud of NL today. This are d type of posts dat shud be making d front page. I call them Life-changing-post. Very inspirational & motivational.
yes well said, there i subscribed tθ that also!!
Re: 6 People You Need Around You To Help You Succeed by Nobody: 8:30am On Aug 27, 2012
as for me, weda thr is devil's advocate or not, im going to make it. So, forget this list.
Re: 6 People You Need Around You To Help You Succeed by trendphemmy(m): 12:55pm On Feb 21, 2017
I came back to read it after many year. op pls sent me ur account number

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Github Fires Its Entire India Engineering Team, Over 140 Employees Hit / I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help / What Are The Things You've Learned The Hard Way?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.