Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,098 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:46 AM

We Are Building A New Nigerian Social Network. Kindly Help To Test Run For Bugs. - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / We Are Building A New Nigerian Social Network. Kindly Help To Test Run For Bugs. (1320 Views)

Do Nigerians Use Google To Test Internet Speed Rather Than Search? / Help I Need A Local Server To Test Some Joomla 2.5 Template On My Computer / Building A Search Engine Like Google (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

We Are Building A New Nigerian Social Network. Kindly Help To Test Run For Bugs. by Nobody: 11:02am On Dec 10, 2007
There is a new Nigerian social network just built on open source software. Still under construction and very usable. We need people to join the network and make use of it to figure out bugs and various things that might come in as traffic increases. The network is focused on business, entertainment and national issues and makes use of resources from other social networks such as Youtube, Metacafe and Stage6 for content. You can guys can go to try it out. The least you could do to support a budding Nigerian Social Network. Its going to be fun I promise. Its http://www.nigeria360.com. I built it so if you see any issues with it, you can come and reply this post and I'd work on it. Alternatively, you can send a message through various means on the website. Thank you,
Re: We Are Building A New Nigerian Social Network. Kindly Help To Test Run For Bugs. by niteduff(m): 3:49pm On Dec 10, 2007
it took about 30 mins to load on my computer.
Re: We Are Building A New Nigerian Social Network. Kindly Help To Test Run For Bugs. by Nobody: 4:12pm On Dec 10, 2007
Where are you browsing from?
Re: We Are Building A New Nigerian Social Network. Kindly Help To Test Run For Bugs. by Nobody: 4:18pm On Dec 10, 2007
I think the homepage might take a while to load on slower computers or connections. If you experience extremely slow loading times, just click on the "Experience Nigeria360" button to move on. When I'm done, I should fix a script that'd check your connection speed and the availability of Flash on your system and automatically redirect you to the main site if the intro page might take unbearable times to load.

Thank you for visiting and lodging a complaint, I appreciate that and I'd work on it. Kindly endeavour to register and play around inside to help me figure out some bugs I might be too busy configuring to notice. I need the critics now please,
Re: We Are Building A New Nigerian Social Network. Kindly Help To Test Run For Bugs. by Seun(m): 4:23pm On Dec 10, 2007
Better idea: make the page load as fast as possible. Yahoo does it, google does it, even msn does it.
Re: We Are Building A New Nigerian Social Network. Kindly Help To Test Run For Bugs. by imback(m): 4:29pm On Dec 10, 2007
Re: We Are Building A New Nigerian Social Network. Kindly Help To Test Run For Bugs. by Nobody: 4:29pm On Dec 10, 2007
Lol. Yeah well the intro page is Flash. I know very well that when I was using internet in Nigerian cybercafes where the computers were either too old or the internet too slow, Flash websites never loaded as fast as that. I guess its better to help those who might not be able to view if fast enough to redirect straight to the main site. Is anybody having problems loading the main site too? A direct link is http://site.nigeria360.com
Re: We Are Building A New Nigerian Social Network. Kindly Help To Test Run For Bugs. by Seun(m): 4:30pm On Dec 10, 2007
Then make it not flash!
Re: We Are Building A New Nigerian Social Network. Kindly Help To Test Run For Bugs. by Nobody: 4:36pm On Dec 10, 2007
He he, Ok Sir!
Re: We Are Building A New Nigerian Social Network. Kindly Help To Test Run For Bugs. by uspry1(f): 4:41pm On Dec 10, 2007
WOW cool intro flash! I am on high speed internet/high broadband loading Flash based site no problem.

Suggest you make Flash detection scripting to identify which browser version and which modem speed on Flash-based site to switch HTML pages for those who either do not have their Flash player installed or not upgrade browser version or still use low broadband speed like those cybercafes.
Re: We Are Building A New Nigerian Social Network. Kindly Help To Test Run For Bugs. by Nobody: 4:45pm On Dec 10, 2007
Very wicked name sake. You know my name is Oluwaseun too? I've been beefing you for taking one of the top spots on Google ranking for the name 'Oluwaseun' and 'Seun' and for now I'm just dealing more with commercial interests. When its time to get personal, I'd deal with all of you guys taking up my top spots on Google (just kidding). I'm Oluwaseun Pelemo though, I've been on the low for quite a while but I'm just trying a few things out now. I am the blogger for http://www.gadg-et.com and http://www.flixlog.com and I run the Skill Concepts network of websites. In the United States now, coming home for christmas and can't wait, freshman student of Wichita State University. Nuff said, what next?
Re: We Are Building A New Nigerian Social Network. Kindly Help To Test Run For Bugs. by Nobody: 4:49pm On Dec 10, 2007
I'm not seeing any registrations, kindly help me test run this thing so I can start it up properly
Re: We Are Building A New Nigerian Social Network. Kindly Help To Test Run For Bugs. by niteduff(m): 5:38pm On Dec 10, 2007
if u register you cant loggin with the registered details, try to fix that!
Re: We Are Building A New Nigerian Social Network. Kindly Help To Test Run For Bugs. by Nobody: 8:36pm On Dec 10, 2007
I've fixed it. Been troubleshooting since you said it. Sure is not funny to own a community people can't register to.lol. Anyway, you can register now and please help me find bugs like the one you just saw and help me fix the site and give your suggestions. Thank you.
Re: We Are Building A New Nigerian Social Network. Kindly Help To Test Run For Bugs. by Nobody: 8:21am On Dec 12, 2007
Ok, Now I have the Radio online with just 43 songs. As time goes on, I'd categorize the songs to different genres and expand our playlist. Got a totally different server just for Media Streaming. Hope to start offering people movies to watch too. You guys should please go and help me see the website and detect any bugs just as niteduff did. Thank you very much Niteduff, it woulda been disastrous to the new community if I didn't fix that. Well, there we go. Don't forget its http://www.nigeria360.com.
Re: We Are Building A New Nigerian Social Network. Kindly Help To Test Run For Bugs. by onydchic(f): 1:10pm On Dec 12, 2007
Um, I agree with Seun. I really think the site can do without the flash intro. It's not bad, but it's not necessary, and even on a really fast speed, i dont think it should be there when all manners of people using all kinds of computer speeds will be accessing it. Even on our fast connection, I still hd to wait some minutes too long.
Also, I think the home page is too wide. horizontal scrolls can be annoying. And I'm using a resolution o 1024 x 768. Also on the inner pages, the navigation just falls apart. It's too wide as well. Use percentages instead of absolute dimensions.

Other than which though, functionality wise, it's a pretty good job. I'm impressed.
Re: We Are Building A New Nigerian Social Network. Kindly Help To Test Run For Bugs. by kokorunna(m): 3:32pm On Dec 12, 2007
Its taking so long to load the front page, make it faster.

People that's not using broadband or a faster link will get fed up and move to the next site.

Good concept. shocked
Re: We Are Building A New Nigerian Social Network. Kindly Help To Test Run For Bugs. by Nobody: 5:22pm On Dec 12, 2007
Ok, by popular demand, I got rid of the Flash intro. I loved it though.
Re: We Are Building A New Nigerian Social Network. Kindly Help To Test Run For Bugs. by Nobody: 5:19am On Dec 15, 2007
Yeah, I'd say the response on Nigeria360 is awesome. Particularly the radio. I was able to come up with a playlist of about 92 songs this week. I hope to extend next week and hit about 200 purely Nigerian songs of all genres. For now, I'm also coding the playlist into categories so people will have a wider choice. I'd say getting a dedicated media server for Nigeria360 wasn't bad after all. The usage is peak and bandwidth is being utilized very good also. I guess I can recover my investment in ad revenues over time. We've had about 160 visitors to the Nigeria360 Radio with about 50 of them being addicts (visiting at least twice daily). Now, I know a social community is not all about adding media so I'd like you to take a look at the site again and suggest what in your own opinion can be an ice breaker for the community. I don't believe in impossibilities so any idea or thought is welcome. Also, we created a permalink to the radio; http://radio.nigeria360.com. If you have any ideas, kindly reply my post or visit Nigeria360 and use the forums. Thank you,
Re: We Are Building A New Nigerian Social Network. Kindly Help To Test Run For Bugs. by DJNiyi(m): 7:29pm On Dec 16, 2007
Spelsrus,

Very nice work. Well done.

Quick question - how are you monetizing the site? Why don't you register on our new ad search engineĀ  www.aductions.com/register/?
We can help you get some site targeted adverts from Nigerian advertisers.

DJNiyi
Re: We Are Building A New Nigerian Social Network. Kindly Help To Test Run For Bugs. by my2cents(m): 10:33pm On Dec 17, 2007
if I may I would like to suggest that rather than make a blanket offer for testing, come up with a testing plan and break it down into different steps (registration, logging in, logging out, load time, etc). This will prevent a situation where you are harassed with the same issues. Basically, you have say, 10 scripts and then you ask volunteers to send you their email addresses. Then you reply them with what they should do, along with a spreadsheet where they record status (pass/fail), comments, etc.

IMHO, by dividing the labor, each test is smaller and more efficient and you can focus on one failed test at a time, instead of looking at the whole picture which could be a bit overwhelming (evolution as opposed to revolution). My suggestion kind of reminds me of what my labor prefect in secondary school told me when it came to cutting wire grass - "when you look at your portion as a whole, you get scared. Divide your portion into mini-portions and before you know it, you will be done" cool

As always, my 2 cents.
Re: We Are Building A New Nigerian Social Network. Kindly Help To Test Run For Bugs. by boraddo(m): 7:26am On Dec 18, 2007
my2cents:

My suggestion kind of reminds me of what my labor prefect in secondary school told me when it came to cutting wire grass - "when you look at your portion as a whole, you get scared. Divide your portion into mini-portions and before you know it, you will be done" cool

my2cents, ur labour prefect should be a motivational speaker cool shocked sad

@topic.
Nice Site

(1) (Reply)

. / SEO Question And Answer! / Nigerians Say We Build The Best Website That Attracts Customers.what Do You Say?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.