Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,735 members, 7,817,018 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:08 PM

Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars - Car Talk (411) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars (891744 Views)

What Is With Honda Cars And Their Tyres That Always Cave In. / Maintenance Tips On Cars. / Honda Cars Front Wheel Issue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (408) (409) (410) (411) (412) (413) (414) ... (433) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Obidikejr(m): 12:43pm On Sep 24, 2023
Dozieson:

How did you know it is in solid working conditions? Have you scan both engine and Trans? Have you driven the car enough to know? If you have tested and satisfied with the performance then it is a very good deal for that price
Haven't found one oh

I'm just asking because that's the budget I intend entering the market with
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by MrReeseG(m): 12:45pm On Sep 24, 2023
luvinhubby:

Easy to solve with a good Honda mechanic

Everything my Rewire has done to ensure the abs and vsa light on my Civic has proven futile. We changed the sensor like 3 times and its still complaining about the front right wheel.

What can I do?
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by kingreign(m): 1:49pm On Sep 24, 2023
MrReeseG:

Everything my Rewire has done to ensure the abs and vsa light on my Civic has proven futile. We changed the sensor like 3 times and its still complaining about the front right wheel.

What can I do?

Scan and post codes here I'd advise you on what to do. By the way what year is the civic?

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by MrReeseG(m): 2:09pm On Sep 24, 2023
kingreign:

Scan and post codes here I'd advise you on what to do. By the way what year is the civic?

Omo
I'll look for how to scan and post the codes
09 civic (hybrid)
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by AdisaOwala: 8:20pm On Sep 24, 2023
luvinhubby:

Easy to solve with a good Honda mechanic

If the mechanic no good, he fit spoil other things

Decided to live with mine jare
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by tess1(m): 1:29pm On Oct 03, 2023
Professionals in the house, I need your advise.

I have a Honda pilot 03/04. When I start it in the morning, it starts normally and when I take it out the gear changes with no problem. But after driving out, parking and switching off three times, the fourth time I try to start it, the "grin" light starts flashing while still igniting it till it starts and continues to flash.

When I drive in this condition, it's very sluggish and I noticed that as I continue driving the power starts going down, the horn won't be loud, all the lights start dimming until the all the guages dropped totally.

I called a rewire who told me it's the alternator and that it needs repairs. I gave him the go ahead to repair it and it was okay. I drove it out like I explained above but at the fourth time of trying to start it again the "grin" started flashing again and was advised to buy a Tokunbo alternator which I did but the problem still persist as described.

At this point, it was scanned and it brought up these codes in the attachment and was told it's the first code which relates to gear issue. They changed the pressure control solenoid valve but exhibiting same symptoms.

Please, what else can I do? Thanks.

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Onyeka90210(m): 2:46pm On Oct 03, 2023
tess1:
Professionals in the house, I need your advise.

I have a Honda pilot 03/04. When I start it in the morning, it starts normally and when I take it out the gear changes with no problem. But after driving out, parking and switching off three times, the fourth time I try to start it, the "grin" light starts flashing while still igniting it till it starts and continues to flash.

When I drive in this condition, it's very sluggish and I noticed that as I continue driving the power starts going down, the horn won't be loud, all the lights start dimming until the all the guages dropped totally.

I called a rewire who told me it's the alternator and that it needs repairs. I gave him the go ahead to repair it and it was okay. I drove it out like I explained above but at the fourth time of trying to start it again the "grin" started flashing again and was advised to buy a Tokunbo alternator which I did but the problem still persist as described.

At this point, it was scanned and it brought up these codes in the attachment and was told it's the first code which relates to gear issue. They changed the pressure control solenoid valve but exhibiting same symptoms.

Please, what else can I do? Thanks.
Let them first check the wires connecting the solenoid, it could be damaged and may need replacement.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Rajman45(m): 3:45am On Oct 04, 2023
Expert in the house, what is the cost to replace Master brake for Honda Accord 2006.
Secondly, a spanner sign is showing on my dashboard, what does it mean?
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by peejay03: 2:54pm On Oct 04, 2023
I want to believe the spanner sign means that your car is due for servicing. I drive same car and thats what I was told. Let the experts answer your first question. smiley smiley
Rajman45:
Expert in the house, what is the cost to replace Master brake for Honda Accord 2006.
Secondly, a spanner sign is showing on my dashboard, what does it mean?
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by peejay03: 2:57pm On Oct 04, 2023
Experts in the house, please I need your help.

I drive an Honda EOD 2006 V4.

Sometimes in July this year, while driving, I noticed the car temperature on the dashboard was very high. I stopped the car and checked the engine. I noticed the engine oil had spilled all over the car engine and there was also oil coming from the radiator. The mechanic claimed the gasket was blown and needs changing. He changed the gasket and topped the engine oil. He further checked the gear oil and other oil in the car to ensure they were all gauged. I thought the issue was over till I started noticing huge creamy oil coming from the radiator and also the engine oil was getting short within days of topping it. The mechanic noticed water is not entering the engine but oil is mixing with the radiator water. In August, I bought 3 big kegs of Mobil2000 synthetic oil and all drained out through the radiator. I have consulted several mechanics and at this point, they don't know what the issue is because they've checked every possible leakage in the engine and could not find any. They also placed a paper underneath the car to observe if there is leakage under the car but there is none.

Does anyone who have experienced such kindly suggest a possible solution. I'd also appreciate suggestions from anyone with a knowledge to fixing this issue. I have spent so much on the car already and I am tired.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Namzy(m): 9:16pm On Oct 04, 2023
peejay03:

Sometimes in July this year, while driving, I noticed the car temperature on the dashboard was very high. I stopped the car and checked the engine. I noticed the engine oil had spilled all over the car engine and there was also oil coming from the radiator. The mechanic claimed the gasket was blown and needs changing. He changed the gasket and topped the engine oil. He further checked the gear oil and other oil in the car to ensure they were all gauged. I thought the issue was over till I started noticing huge creamy oil coming from the radiator and also the engine oil was getting short within days of topping it. The mechanic noticed water is not entering the engine but oil is mixing with the radiator water. In August, I bought 3 big kegs of Mobil2000 synthetic oil and all drained out through the radiator. I have consulted several mechanics and at this point, they don't know what the issue is because they've checked every possible leakage in the engine and could not find any. They also placed a paper underneath the car to observe if there is leakage under the car but there is none.

Does anyone who have experienced such kindly suggest a possible solution. I'd also appreciate suggestions from anyone with a knowledge to fixing this issue. I have spent so much on the car already and I am tired.

Head gasket change not done properly
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Conner44: 8:09am On Oct 05, 2023
Rumundele:
Evening experts in the house, my car is Honda accord 07, i noticed that anytime i engage my gear to R and D it kicked hard as if the car want to jump very aggressive. Any advice or help on how to get this solve?

1. Dirty transmission fluid and clogged solenoids.

2. Bad rear engine or transmission mounts.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Conner44: 8:11am On Oct 05, 2023
peejay03:

As Namzy said your head gasket job was shoddily done.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by DolbyDigital: 9:58pm On Oct 06, 2023
Hello people. I have just bought an Honda Accord 2003. It's my first car. After getting it, people are saying lots of things about the tires pulling off. I am seeing lots of negative review and some positive reviews as well, but not enough to have peace of mind. I am scared and filled of regret. I haven't even started driving it yet.. just did some solo with it.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Conner44: 12:42am On Oct 07, 2023
DolbyDigital:
Hello people. I have just bought an Honda Accord 2003. It's my first car. After getting it, people are saying lots of things about the tires pulling off. I am seeing lots of negative review and some positive reviews as well, but not enough to have peace of mind. I am scared and filled of regret. I haven't even started driving it yet .. just did some solo with it.

Quickly find buyer for it. Pray you don't lose much money. Use the money to buy food and stock your kouse and then be using public transport. You will have peace of mind. I know how important that stuff is to a human being wink

And for your information, there is no vehicle that doesn't need maintenance or that doesn't break down unexpectedly. It's just how machines are.

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Onyeka90210(m): 9:38pm On Oct 07, 2023
DolbyDigital:
Hello people. I have just bought an Honda Accord 2003. It's my first car. After getting it, people are saying lots of things about the tires pulling off. I am seeing lots of negative review and some positive reviews as well, but not enough to have peace of mind. I am scared and filled of regret. I haven't even started driving it yet.. just did some solo with it.
grin
Pay no attention to that, EOD accords can go 300k miles without major issues if maintained properly.
Lots of them on the road.
Abundance of parts.
Great handling and performance.
Just do preventive maintainance and avoid abuse.
Solid underrated car.
For the ball joint, it makes noise and shows signs before failing, you can also inspect the ball joints regular, several ways of checking like shaking the tires when on jack, there should be minimal play.
Also make sure you're getting high quality ball joints replacement as low quality ones are easier to wear out.

4 Likes

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Itsrm(m): 7:30am On Oct 08, 2023
DolbyDigital:

You just have to see the ball joint as a maintenance item. Buy the best quality you can find and replace once every year/two years depending on how often you drive.

The last time I bought, it was N15,000 a pair. Not sure of the current price.

The sweetest spot is if you can get an OEM unit but it's very expensive and not necessary IMO.

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by DolbyDigital: 2:50pm On Oct 08, 2023
Onyeka90210:

grin
Pay no attention to that, EOD accords can go 300k miles without major issues if maintained properly.
Lots of them on the road.
Abundance of parts.
Great handling and performance.
Just do preventive maintainance and avoid abuse.
Solid underrated car.
For the ball joint, it makes noise and shows signs before failing, you can also inspect the ball joints regular, several ways of checking like shaking the tires when on jack, there should be minimal play.
Also make sure you're getting high quality ball joints replacement as low quality ones are easier to wear out.
Thanks boss. I spent the whole night reading lots of articles especially the ball joint. The thing is, people have two opinion of it, I guess I'll have to try it, if it give problem, I'll park and sell immediately. I pride myself to be someone that is serious on maintenance. Not just cars. I am the type that can't look away when my generator is making noise. I'll rather off it and not use it for days till I fix it. The person that sold it to me told me thar only the transmission needs attention and my mechanic confirmed it. My mechanic also gave me two options, to fix it or to buy a new one. I opt to buy a new one even though it goes for me 250k. That's just me, I always consider buying something over repairing it given the option. The mechanic sha tell me not to worry, he said he will check it every 3 months.. as long when I come for routine service.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by DolbyDigital: 2:53pm On Oct 08, 2023
Itsrm:

You just have to see the ball joint as a maintenance item. Buy the best quality you can find and replace once every year/two years depending on how often you drive.

The last time I bought, it was N15,000 a pair. Not sure of the current price.

The sweetest spot is if you can get an OEM unit but it's very expensive and not necessary IMO.
I don't mind spending a few bucks every year or even twice in a year. I googled the cost of OEM, over 100$ for one piece, that's over 100k, two will be over 200k. The cost is kinda give me chills.. but that's because I don't know how effective it will be.

2 Likes

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by emadamysy: 6:16pm On Oct 08, 2023
DolbyDigital:
I don't mind spending a few bucks every year or even twice in a year. I googled the cost of OEM, over 100$ for one piece, that's over 100k, two will be over 200k. The cost is kinda give me chills.. but that's because I don't know how effective it will be.
Don't be scared though I drive a 2009 version , you can get quality part that you don't have to break the bank . I would advise if you are in Lagos , and close to oyibgbo, just go there anytime you want to service , that is the center for Honda products , you get all needed parts and get to see a fair bargain

2 Likes

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Cryomancer: 6:29pm On Oct 08, 2023
DolbyDigital:

Nice car, I also have the 2004 model. Good and underated vehicle with proper build and balance.

Just like other people rightly mentioned, just pay more attention to your ball joint and ensure you get good quality ones when you wanna replace it. Trust me, buying OEM is just wast of effort in Nigeria because it will always fail due to bad road networks (except you stay and only drive on good quality terrains). A quality ball joint of 15k should last you 8months or thereabout without any issues. Also note that the 03-05 are notorious for failing gear box too, so along the line you might have to outrightly replace the gear box because fixing it is just waste of money and postponement of judgement day.

If you are based in Lagos, oyingbo (Willoughby street) is you best and sure place to fix your vehicle because that's the headquarters of Honda parts but if you're not in Lagos, you can always contact @luvinhubby (the creator of this thread) for quality Honda parts and have peace of mind.

NB
All vehicles have issues peculiar to them, but a proper check and maintenance would have you use yours and won't know you've clocked 5yrs without any major issues.

Good luck on your sojournđź‘Ť

3 Likes

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Onyeka90210(m): 6:35pm On Oct 08, 2023
DolbyDigital:
Thanks boss. I spent the whole night reading lots of articles especially the ball joint. The thing is, people have two opinion of it, I guess I'll have to try it, if it give problem, I'll park and sell immediately. I pride myself to be someone that is serious on maintenance. Not just cars. I am the type that can't look away when my generator is making noise. I'll rather off it and not use it for days till I fix it. The person that sold it to me told me thar only the transmission needs attention and my mechanic confirmed it. My mechanic also gave me two options, to fix it or to buy a new one. I opt to buy a new one even though it goes for me 250k. That's just me, I always consider buying something over repairing it given the option. The mechanic sha tell me not to worry, he said he will check it every 3 months.. as long when I come for routine service.
Hmmmm, another thing you should be careful with is the kind of mechanics you give.
I’ll advice you get that elm327 Bluetooth scan tool, works very well with accord, about 5k Ish, scan the car for engine error codes then you can do research on the code and how to tackle it, you can also search the code on “drive accord” online forum, they’ll give you insight on how to go about it, it’s then then you tell the mechanic what and what to do and what parts to replace if you can’t DIY. Guess work can waste money and also make a minor issue worse.
Yes the 03 and 04 has a fragile transmission especially the v6, but there are lots of things that can cause transmissions issues from incorrect gear oil type, dirty gear oil, burnt/due oil, incorrect guage (low or high), clogged/bad shift solenoids or gear switch, bad drive shaft or axel.
A proper gear service could give the transmission a bit of life, But if he’s certain that the transmission needs rebuild or replacement, then no wahala.
Most of the best Honda mechanics and Honda parts sellers are in oyingbo sha.

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by goodnewscliff(m): 10:41pm On Oct 08, 2023
DolbyDigital:
i will be buying that same car soon. I already know about the ball joint issues which is not limited only to hondas. So maintenance is key and original parts replacement is also important. Congrats

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by cmoney22222: 10:58am On Oct 12, 2023
ok
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by oprah007(m): 6:11pm On Oct 12, 2023
Good evening everyone, I bought TotalEnergies 5w30 oil to service my Honda Civic LX 2001. I hope I am safe?
I also read somewhere here that I can use this same 5w30 for my power steering. I have sorted for the Honda PSF here in Ibadan but couldn't get. Pls can I go ahead?

Note: I need Honda Genuine ATF DW-1. Please someone should hook me up with a sure link for the original. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Onyeka90210(m): 7:49pm On Oct 12, 2023
oprah007:
Good evening everyone, I bought TotalEnergies 5w30 oil to service my Honda Civic LX 2001. I hope I am safe?
I also read somewhere here that I can use this same 5w30 for my power steering. I have sorted for the Honda PSF here in Ibadan but couldn't get. Pls can I go ahead?

Note: I need Honda Genuine ATF DW-1. Please someone should hook me up with a sure link for the original. Thank you.
Do not use engine oil for power steering fluid
If you can't find honda power steering fluid, use abro.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by oprah007(m): 8:42pm On Oct 12, 2023
Onyeka90210:

Do not use engine oil for power steering fluid
If you can't find honda power steering fluid, use abro.

Thank you boss. Do you mean Abro ATF cos I saw one today in white plastic, it says Automatic Transmission Fluid and Power Steering. Is it the same one sir?
And please is TotalEnergies 5w30 I bought okay for the servicing?
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Onyeka90210(m): 11:42pm On Oct 12, 2023
oprah007:

Thank you boss. Do you mean Abro ATF cos I saw one today in white plastic, it says Automatic Transmission Fluid and Power Steering. Is it the same one sir?
And please is TotalEnergies 5w30 I bought okay for the servicing?
Yes that white abro atf.
I don’t know about total as a brand, but 5w 30 is okay for the civic.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by jceesquare(m): 3:04pm On Oct 13, 2023
oprah007:

The only time you're allowed to use thicker oil in a PS pump is if the pump is dead and can't pump thinner oil. The thicker viscosity will help improve the PS operation fair enough till it takes you to the workshop.
Just know you will have to change your rack when replacing the pump.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by piehorse: 7:50pm On Oct 13, 2023
Contact Rowland for your Dw1
I got from him a month ago

oprah007:

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by DolbyDigital: 5:57pm On Oct 14, 2023
Onyeka90210:

Hmmmm, another thing you should be careful with is the kind of mechanics you give.
I’ll advice you get that elm327 Bluetooth scan tool, works very well with accord, about 5k Ish, scan the car for engine error codes then you can do research on the code and how to tackle it, you can also search the code on “drive accord” online forum, they’ll give you insight on how to go about it, it’s then then you tell the mechanic what and what to do and what parts to replace if you can’t DIY. Guess work can waste money and also make a minor issue worse.
Yes the 03 and 04 has a fragile transmission especially the v6, but there are lots of things that can cause transmissions issues from incorrect gear oil type, dirty gear oil, burnt/due oil, incorrect guage (low or high), clogged/bad shift solenoids or gear switch, bad drive shaft or axel.
A proper gear service could give the transmission a bit of life, But if he’s certain that the transmission needs rebuild or replacement, then no wahala.
Most of the best Honda mechanics and Honda parts sellers are in oyingbo sha.
Can you help with the picture of the scanner?
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Abdul111: 11:13pm On Oct 14, 2023
Hello house
Please I wanted to ask why AC fault is so common in Honda Civic 06-09. I’m trying to get one but I’ve noticed most of them have AC issue. Also, what are the general things to look out for when buying a Nigerian used Honda civic? I’m planning to take a mechanic with scanner though(I’m a car novice)

(1) (2) (3) ... (408) (409) (410) (411) (412) (413) (414) ... (433) (Reply)

Maintenance Tips On Cars. / Mercedes Benz Thread / Nasty effects of road accidents (caution very graphic and potentially offensive images)!

Viewing this topic: xcitedjay(m)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.