Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,693 members, 7,816,834 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:19 PM

Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars - Car Talk (44) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars (891619 Views)

What Is With Honda Cars And Their Tyres That Always Cave In. / Maintenance Tips On Cars. / Honda Cars Front Wheel Issue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) ... (433) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by adanny01(m): 11:59am On Jul 13, 2015
tee2faith:
I have been using my Honda Accord 2003, 4 Cylinder for about 2 years and some months now and the millage has increased about 43000 since I started using it. The gear is fine and not giving me any problem but I keep having this feeling that the transmission oil ought to have been changed in view of the 43000 increase in millage.
Should I go ahead and change the transmission oil?
Where in Abuja can I get the original recommended DW1? and any idea of the price?
Is there a good trusted alternative to the DW1?

Thanks.

cc.
luvinhubby
GAZZUZZ
adanny01

You didn't mention your total mileage. If you have a manual, it is mentioned change transmission oil at 110,000 miles or so. If your mileage is above that please change if you can afford DW1. If you cant afford it now, i advice you continue using it but make sure you make the change before 130,000 miles. However, there is another condition, they also recommended 6yrs for a change as option. A 2003 car was 6 years 2009, that means you were due since then if it has never been changed from factory. Subsequent change is at intervals of 60,000miles

I got original DW1 in Tonsjos service station, Zuba, Kaduna express @N3,000 per US quart. 3 bottles will be a little short because the specific quantity required for drain and fill as per service manual is 2.9litres (3.0USqt). 3 US quart is 2.8litres.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by chamber2(m): 8:58pm On Jul 13, 2015
good day gurus

i seriously need help as i am completely baren of ideas. After buying fuel from a gas station on friday the 10th of july, i discovered that my HONDA 2009 MODEL was jerking and was exhuming some whitish smoke. the acceleration became weak, engine icon on the dashboard startrd blinking continously. The check VSA sign came up also. I drove it to the office but the was behaving as if the entire engine was to breakdown.

i called my mechanic who later diagnosised that the engine is faulty and requires replacement or repair which will cost 100k or so.

i am so frustrated as this car has never given me an issue since i bought it. i knw very little about cars as this is my first.

i need help from the gurus in the house. i live in the easten part of naija and appreciate recommendations as to where to get this car fixed. Its a V6 engine. thanks all
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:09pm On Jul 13, 2015
chamber2:
good day gurus

i seriously need help as i am completely baren of ideas. After buying fuel from a gas station on friday the 10th of july, i discovered that my HONDA 2009 MODEL was jerking and was exhuming some whitish smoke. the acceleration became weak, engine icon on the dashboard startrd blinking continously. The check VSA sign came up also. I drove it to the office but the was behaving as if the entire engine was to breakdown.

i called my mechanic who later diagnosised that the engine is faulty and requires replacement or repair which will cost 100k or so.

i am so frustrated as this car has never given me an issue since i bought it. i knw very little about cars as this is my first.

i need help from the gurus in the house. i live in the easten part of naija and appreciate recommendations as to where to get this car fixed. Its a V6 engine. thanks all

If in lagos contact me via this number 08023251039. Free consultancy.

If in P.h call 07017081067

If in abuja call ib 07054874973 (not a mechanic but he will put you in good hands)
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by adanny01(m): 9:54pm On Jul 13, 2015
chamber2:
good day gurus

Scan! Scan!! Scan!!!

A little thing like a sensor connector pull out can cause serious problems like this. Besides how will a mechanic abitrarily call repair price without knowing or telling you what is bad? That mechanic is after your hard earned money. Get a better guy especially one who will scan the car first.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by chamber2(m): 10:05pm On Jul 13, 2015
adanny01:

Scan! Scan!! Scan!!!

A little thing like a sensor connector pull out can cause serious problems like this. Besides how will a mechanic abitrarily call repair price without knowing or telling you what is bad? That mechanic is after your hard earned money. Get a better guy especially one who will scan the car first.

thanks bro

my challenge now is where to get the car scanned in the east. i dont knw of anywhere
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by omicron(m): 7:09am On Jul 14, 2015
chamber2:

thanks bro

my challenge now is where to get the car scanned in the east. i dont knw of anywhere
Ask around you, you will find a scanner.

Read up about scanning and car diagnostics via google.

You can also purchase your own scanning software or device, with as litlle as 3k. Konga has many of them.

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by adanny01(m): 9:19am On Jul 14, 2015
chamber2:

thanks bro

Welcome.

Like omicron said, see a link below. Its N3,000 and you require a smart phone or laptop with bluetooth device. There is a USb option if you prefer to strictly use the laptop. N3,000 is an average scanning session cost so you wanna be wise for next time by getting your own and advising your mechanic yourself. Website below will be of help too when you have your codes at hand. If you dont understand the results, post here for assistance.

http:///amd-quad-core-elm-327-obdii-bluetooth-car-diagnostic-scanner-android-1618736

http://engine-codes.com
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Mrcharming(m): 10:56am On Jul 14, 2015
@ Adanny01 which part of zuba is Tosjos service station? I need Dw1 ATF. tx.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by adanny01(m): 12:31pm On Jul 14, 2015
Mrcharming:
@ Adanny01 which part of zuba is Tosjos service station? I need Dw1 ATF. tx.

Coming from Kubwa express and turning right unto kaduna express after NNPC filling station, Total filling station, Conoil filling station then you find Tonsjos filling station. First bank Zuba is directly opposite it.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by makarios911: 5:58pm On Jul 14, 2015
chamber2:
good day gurus

Pls I need help with my wife's 07 Accord. Had a similar ish. Car suddenly stopped accelerating more than 20mph while she was on her way to wrk 2days ago. Check engine and VSA lights came on too. My Lil research online showed dat it mite be from faulty APP sensor or TPS sensor or from overdue oil change. I had my oil changed becos it was due (10%), had APP sensor and TPS changed and still no headway. Got someone to run a scan and he said the brain box wasn't communicating with the throttle body and since we had changed the throttle body he decided to put anoda brain box. Still no improvement. Now my mech is outta ideas and the car is moribund. This is d first time this car is acting up rilli. I'm soooooo confused.
Gurus in the house pls help!!!

Cc: Lovinghubby Gazzuzz
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by adanny01(m): 6:13pm On Jul 14, 2015
makarios911:

Pls I need help with my wife's 07 Accord. Had a similar ish. Car suddenly stopped accelerating more than 20mph while she was on her way to wrk 2days ago. Check engine and VSA lights came on too. My Lil research online showed dat it mite be from faulty APP sensor or TPS sensor or from overdue oil change. I had my oil changed becos it was due (10%), had APP sensor and TPS changed and still no headway. Got someone to run a scan and he said the brain box wasn't communicating with the throttle body and since we had changed the throttle body he decided to put anoda brain box. Still no improvement. Now my mech is outta ideas and the car is moribund. This is d first time this car is acting up rilli. I'm soooooo confused.
Gurus in the house pls help!!!

Cc: Lovinghubby Gazzuzz

No one will have any real idea without knowing what the scan results were. You obviously still have the CEL on but what are the codes?
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Mrcharming(m): 6:40pm On Jul 14, 2015
@Adanny01 much tnx.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by makarios911: 6:57pm On Jul 14, 2015
adanny01:

No one will have any real idea without knowing what the scan results were. You obviously still have the CEL on but what are the codes?

Don't know what the scan codes are but I intend running another diagnosis tmrrw.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by adanny01(m): 8:52pm On Jul 14, 2015
makarios911:

Don't know what the scan codes are but I intend running another diagnosis tmrrw.

When you do, let us know the diagnosis.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by chamber2(m): 6:10pm On Jul 15, 2015
Good day guys,

I finally got a place to run the scan today. Here are the results.

p0103
p0420
p0301
p0302
p0303
p0304
p0305
p0306
p0300
p0562
p0430

Pls assist with interpretation and estimate of repair cost

Thanks
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by adanny01(m): 8:31pm On Jul 15, 2015
chamber2:
Good day guys,

I finally got a place to run the scan today. Here are the results.

p0103
p0420
p0301
p0302
p0303
p0304
p0305
p0306
p0300
p0562
p0430

Pls assist with interpretation and estimate of repair cost

Thanks

WOW! Thats alot. I know a few off heart from my recent job on the 08 accord.

P0300-6 are cylinder misfires on all cylinders. No worries, definitely effect from other codes.
P0420/30 are catalyst efficiency below threshold on both banks (indomie is not good or may have been affected by misfires). Would not stop the car from running well. Keep aside for now.
That leaves us with P0103 and P0562 where the real problem is.

P0103 Honda - Mass Air Flow Sensor Circuit High Voltage

Possible causes
- Faulty mass air flow sensor
- Intake air leaks
- Dirty mass air flow sensor
- Dirty mass air filter
- Mass air flow sensor harness is open or shorted
- Mass air flow sensor circuit poor electrical connection

Read more: http://engine-codes.com/p0103_honda.html#ixzz3fzMQ7Nm1

P0562 Honda - Charging System Low Voltage

Possible causes
- Low battery charge
- Battery defective
- Loose or missing alternator drive belt
- Faulty alternator
- Open or short system voltage circuit

Read more: http://engine-codes.com/p0562_honda.html#ixzz3fzNRDY1M

1st thing to do, remove your intake air hose and inspect for breakage/leakage. If bad replace or use PVC electrical tape/masking tape to temporarily seal leakage. 3-4k for hose
2nd reinstall making sure the MAF sensor is properly connected
3rd borrow a battery for test instead of yours

Start and test car. If its ok then you are lucky. If not, you will need a live scan to proceed with proper diagnosis. Live scan should tell you if MAF sends live data or unconnected. In otherwords to make sure MAF is bad before buying another. On the other hand, live scan should also tell you system voltage 12V @ engine off and 13.8-14.3V @ engine running. If first is below 12V battery is bad. If second is out of range, bad alternator or any other electrical problem.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by chamber2(m): 9:19pm On Jul 15, 2015
thanks bro

here are list of items recommended for replacement by the mechanic.

1. engine coils (cool
2.spark plugs (6)
3.service of nuzzles
4.catalyst B/1-B/2 (2)
5.fuel pump
6.fuel filter
7.valve cover gasket/top gasket cover
8.grinding of valve
9.MAF sensor
10.drive belt

pls i urgently ur input as i v an appointmnt with him 2moro. the price is too outrageous and i dont think i need to replace all this to get my car running fine
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by adanny01(m): 9:45pm On Jul 15, 2015
chamber2:
thanks bro

here are list of items recommended for replacement by the mechanic.

1. engine coils (cool
2.spark plugs (6)
3.service of nuzzles
4.catalyst B/1-B/2 (2)
5.fuel pump
6.fuel filter
7.valve cover gasket/top gasket cover
8.grinding of valve
9.MAF sensor
10.drive belt

pls i urgently ur input as i v an appointmnt with him 2moro. the price is too outrageous and i dont think i need to replace all this to get my car running fine

That mechanic is mad and a thief!

Absolute NO to 1, 3, 5, 6 and 8. Wait on 2, 4, 7 and 10 till main problems are solved. That leaves you with only 9 and maybe an alternator. 1 and 5 would have given their own codes. 1 is 6 in number against his quoted 8 and expensive which amount to a rip off in event you leave it behind with him.

You are not sure the MAF is bad, air leak from hose will make the MAF look bad. Serpentine belt will make much noise if very stretched and needs urgent replacement. I hope you can check for yourself from markings on the tensioner?

Concentrate on the air hose-MAF connector/wires-MAF in the order if it doesnt change and the low voltage should be checked by an electrician.

Modified: Mind you it is strange or rather less likely for all ignition coils to fail at the same time. Intake leak can cause all the codes you have except P0562 so threat that first.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by makarios911: 10:54pm On Jul 15, 2015
adanny01:

When you do, let us know the diagnosis.

Finally got it fixed. The dude with the scanner we hoarding the codes. My electrician changed the App sensor, a faulty fuse box(located below d driver side dashboard) and anoda sensor(dat nobody seems to know d name in these part of the country) . Everything cost 65k inclusive of labour and oil change wit Mobil 1. I made a mental note to neva go back to them. Ever!!!
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by chamber2(m): 6:05am On Jul 16, 2015
makarios911:

Finally got it fixed. The dude with the scanner we hoarding the codes. My electrician changed the App sensor, a faulty fuse box(located below d driver side dashboard) and anoda sensor(dat nobody seems to know d name in these part of the country) . Everything cost 65k inclusive of labour and oil change wit Mobil 1. I made a mental note to neva go back to them. Ever!!!

i guess u r in owerri? pls can u link me up to ur mechanic and electrician? urgently pls
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by makarios911: 6:46am On Jul 16, 2015
chamber2:

i guess u r in owerri? pls can u link me up to ur mechanic and electrician? urgently pls

No bro. I'm in Bayelsa.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by sewentybaba: 10:18am On Jul 16, 2015
Gurus please I need your help.
I have a Honda bullet, which I've been using for 3 years with no issues. I decided to change the ball joint last week after noticing the sound coming from ball joint anytime I make a turn. The sound is gone but I think the mechanic tampered with the ABS. Anytime I start the car, the breaks will be hard. After 10 seconds it's back to normal and the ABS light will be On. What could be the problem. Am afraid, I might have to buy complete ABS.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by davodyguy: 3:04pm On Jul 16, 2015
chamber2:

thanks bro

chairman sir.

For God to have blessed you with a 2009 car, u can afford a 5000 naira scanner.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by peterjero(m): 1:51am On Jul 17, 2015
davodyguy:
chairman sir.

For God to have blessed you with a 2009 car, u can afford a 5000 naira scanner.

Not even 5k,he can still afford 100k scanner. I have 2 even when I have rickety cars and that's why my cars will last as long as I want them.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by musachara: 3:52am On Jul 17, 2015
hello bros, i need a power steering pump for baby boy 4 plugs. am in calabar. send me details to musachara@yahoo.com thanks
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by krystaball: 8:23am On Jul 17, 2015
To scan your vehicle in lagos. Call 07011822425. You can book an appoitment. We will come to meet you at the comfort of your location. Not to worry, its still within the affordable price range.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by sonofaGod: 5:02pm On Jul 17, 2015
Hello all.I have a honda E0D 2005 model that has been given so much issues and I need your suggestion and help.there is a continous humming disturbing sound that I hear when am in full motion perceived to be coming out from the front side.was advised by my mechanic in benin to change the front passenger hub which I did,noise persisted so he again advised to change the driver side hub which I also did.I have gone further to change the bearing and tyre of the passenger side but noise persisted.latest is that I should change both tie rods but noise is still there.apparently my mechanic have no idea of what is making that noise anymore hence I will welcome any useful suggestion from the gurus in the house.thanks
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by chamber2(m): 8:20am On Jul 19, 2015
adanny01:

That mechanic is mad and a thief!

Absolute NO to 1, 3, 5, 6 and 8. Wait on 2, 4, 7 and 10 till main problems are solved. That leaves you with only 9 and maybe an alternator. 1 and 5 would have given their own codes. 1 is 6 in number against his quoted 8 and expensive which amount to a rip off in event you leave it behind with him.

You are not sure the MAF is bad, air leak from hose will make the MAF look bad. Serpentine belt will make much noise if very stretched and needs urgent replacement. I hope you can check for yourself from markings on the tensioner?

Concentrate on the air hose-MAF connector/wires-MAF in the order if it doesnt change and the low voltage should be checked by an electrician.

Modified: Mind you it is strange or rather less likely for all ignition coils to fail at the same time. Intake leak can cause all the codes you have except P0562 so threat that first.

I am just so unhappy seeing the mechanic play with my car.

after the few replacements and servicing, the car is still having issues. The pluges get soard,car exhuming huge smoke etc

the mechanic said i should change the engine coils as they are damage or replace the engine.

i am considering moving the car to another mechanic but i need to be sure of what needs to be fixed before making the move.

Based on the codes provided, does it really require replacement of the engine coils or outright engine replacement?
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Nobody: 8:24am On Jul 19, 2015
sewentybaba:
Gurus please I need your help.
I have a Honda bullet, which I've been using for 3 years with no issues. I decided to change the ball joint last week after noticing the sound coming from ball joint anytime I make a turn. The sound is gone but I think the mechanic tampered with the ABS. Anytime I start the car, the breaks will be hard. After 10 seconds it's back to normal and the ABS light will be On. What could be the problem. Am afraid, I might have to buy complete ABS.
Please am.also interested in the answer to this qtn and also what are the tinx to watch out for to make my honda bullet last longer. Happy Sunday.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by adanny01(m): 9:34am On Jul 19, 2015
chamber2:

I am just so unhappy seeing the mechanic play with my car.

after the few replacements and servicing, the car is still having issues. The pluges get soard,car exhuming huge smoke etc

the mechanic said i should change the engine coils as they are damage or replace the engine.

i am considering moving the car to another mechanic but i need to be sure of what needs to be fixed before making the move.

Based on the codes provided, does it really require replacement of the engine coils or outright engine replacement?

The truth is that non of your engine codes explains huge smoke. If all engine coils packs are bad, the car wouldnt start at all. If 2 are bad, the car will hardly start or may not be able to idle. Same with spark plugs.

Huge "blue" smoke tells these conditions:
Valve Seals/guide leak
Piston Rings worn or damaged
Worn Cylinder Walls
PCV System stuck closed

These conditions makes engine oil gets to the combustion chamber were its not supposed to and get burnt. The only solution to worn rings or cylinder walls is to install new rings that fit and are original or buy a new engine.

Black smoke is hardly huge unless for diesel engines. For petrol engines which am sure yours is, black smoke signifies a rich condition where too much fuel is delivered to the combustion chamber. Causes could be either leaky injectors or stuck fuel pressure regulator

There is also White/Gray Smoke which results from coolant leaking into combustion chamber due to one of the 3:
Cylinder head crack
Engine block crack
Burnt head Gasket

One thing to note is that the codes you presently have may be old which has been solved but codes still show since they were not cleared. The only way to be sure is by revalidating the codes by clearing them and performing a drive cycle to see which will come back.

You need a dedicated, knowledgeable and honest mechanic to diagnose properly. What we can tell you here is pure guess work or just a guide to diagnosis.

Dont forget that your mechanic has to be sure on what is wrong before you start spending on repairs. He may be wrong and you spend money with no results. If the ultimate diagnosis leads to buyng a new engine you have to get a very good bargain for this smoky one. A good bargain i suppose would be up to 1 quarter of the agreed price of replacement engine. That will serve as a discount from your engine seller. This is a worst case scenerio.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Druss(m): 12:37pm On Jul 19, 2015
adanny01:

Welcome.

Like omicron said, see a link below. Its N3,000 and you require a smart phone or laptop with bluetooth device. There is a USb option if you prefer to strictly use the laptop. N3,000 is an average scanning session cost so you wanna be wise for next time by getting your own and advising your mechanic yourself. Website below will be of help too when you have your codes at hand. If you dont understand the results, post here for assistance.

http:///amd-quad-core-elm-327-obdii-bluetooth-car-diagnostic-scanner-android-1618736

http://engine-codes.com

Where can I get a scanner from? What are good ones and are you in Lagos?

I need someone apart from Honda Place to take a good look at my car - It is a Civic 2009 model with minor to medium use since I purchased it in 2011.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by chamber2(m): 1:43pm On Jul 19, 2015
adanny01:

The truth is that non of your engine codes explains huge smoke. If all engine coils packs are bad, the car wouldnt start at all. If 2 are bad, the car will hardly start or may not be able to idle. Same with spark plugs.

Huge "blue" smoke tells these conditions:
Valve Seals/guide leak
Piston Rings worn or damaged
Worn Cylinder Walls
PCV System stuck closed

These conditions makes engine oil gets to the combustion chamber were its not supposed to and get burnt. The only solution to worn rings or cylinder walls is to install new rings that fit and are original or buy a new engine.

Black smoke is hardly huge unless for diesel engines. For petrol engines which am sure yours is, black smoke signifies a rich condition where too much fuel is delivered to the combustion chamber. Causes could be either leaky injectors or stuck fuel pressure regulator

There is also White/Gray Smoke which results from coolant leaking into combustion chamber due to one of the 3:
Cylinder head crack
Engine block crack
Burnt head Gasket

One thing to note is that the codes you presently have may be old which has been solved but codes still show since they were not cleared. The only way to be sure is by revalidating the codes by clearing them and performing a drive cycle to see which will come back.

You need a dedicated, knowledgeable and honest mechanic to diagnose properly. What we can tell you here is pure guess work or just a guide to diagnosis.

Dont forget that your mechanic has to be sure on what is wrong before you start spending on repairs. He may be wrong and you spend money with no results. If the ultimate diagnosis leads to buyng a new engine you have to get a very good bargain for this smoky one. A good bargain i suppose would be up to 1 quarter of the agreed price of replacement engine. That will serve as a discount from your engine seller. This is a worst case scenerio.

thanks bro. i really appreciate your effort and time.

i will move the car out to a more knowledgeable mechanic 2moro and see if this issue can be fixed. its really nightmare for me.

(1) (2) (3) ... (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) ... (433) (Reply)

Maintenance Tips On Cars. / Mercedes Benz Thread / Nasty effects of road accidents (caution very graphic and potentially offensive images)!

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.