Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,260 members, 7,953,995 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 10:33 AM

Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars - Car Talk (76) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars (937836 Views)

What Is With Honda Cars And Their Tyres That Always Cave In. / Maintenance Tips On Cars. / Honda Cars Front Wheel Issue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (73) (74) (75) (76) (77) (78) (79) ... (442) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by copiescopy(m): 4:14am On May 11, 2016
I did as you had advised . I did a DW1 tranny flush . Still the problem persists .I can only drive the car on 1 and 2 D3 and D dont even do well at as the car engine REVS and put more extra pressure on the engine anytime i put it on D . Meanwhile I have used 2 all along as i recently began noticing that it dis-engaes when I am on 1 .

what other suggestions do you advise ? please do i go for a new set of Gear box ?and if yes do I still have to reuse the same DW 1 once i get the new gear box / please quick answers as i am in a dilemma and need to travel with the car by the end of the month .

Piyke:

Your gear is slipping and you are using the wrong fluids. Scan transmission for codes. Note: an ordinary OBD2 scanner will not have ability to scan the AT.
Lastly, do x3 drain and fill with DW1 you will need at least 9 quarts. Drain fill, drive around for a while and do again.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:03am On May 11, 2016
copiescopy:
I did as you had advised . I did a DW1 tranny flush . Still the problem persists .I can only drive the car on 1 and 2 D3 and D dont even do well at as the car engine REVS and put more extra pressure on the engine anytime i put it on D . Meanwhile I have used 2 all along as i recently began noticing that it dis-engaes when I am on 1 .

what other suggestions do you advise ? please do i go for a new set of Gear box ?and if yes do I still have to reuse the same DW 1 once i get the new gear box / please quick answers as i am in a dilemma and need to travel with the car by the end of the month .

new gearbox.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by copiescopy(m): 10:11am On May 11, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

new gearbox.

Thanks bro for the advise . ANY IDEA THE AMOUNT ? i will need to get that done in the coming weekend . I need to know first hand before i talking to this guys at ladipo min market for it . EOD 2004 . do i get the same model gear for the car model or any model of EOD can fit in comfortably ?
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by nakoks(m): 12:11pm On May 11, 2016
Please what would cause a Honda accord 96 with jdm engine to start making a whistling sound.It is noticeable when the car is idling and source seems to be from the engine.Investigated the vacum hoses and there seems to be no leakage

Cc;gazzuz
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Piyke: 2:21pm On May 11, 2016
copiescopy:

Have you scanned the transmission?
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by copiescopy(m): 10:04pm On May 11, 2016
No. I didn't scan the transmission . Can scanning do any magic on the tranny ? i was looking to getting at a new gear box by coming week before .

maybe I could just do a scan and report back .

Piyke:

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Macmilla(m): 12:34pm On May 12, 2016
The pictures below are pictures of 3 v6 engines from 3 different Honda accord coupe of the same 6th generation (babyboy coupe). If you look closely, you will see some differences in the plug cables.
A has a coil-on-plug configuration while d rest doesn't seem so.
B has d plug cables all exposed while d rest are covered.
My questions...
Are these engines different mechanically? If yes, what are the mechanical differences?
Are they interchangeable?
Which is the best to buy?

Gazzuzz and Siena, plz help.

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by ukata16(m): 1:30pm On May 12, 2016
@Gazzuzz and other strongmen out there- I want to change my transmission oil(honda accord 1998 i4) cos it's lookling abit light and 'burnt', my mechanic is also suggesting 'servicing' the 'gear switches'.
Iv googled the name and didn't come up with anything
Is it good to allow him service those switches I see around there(since m tranny works fine), what is it called?
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Macmilla(m): 1:56pm On May 12, 2016
ukata16:
@Gazzuzz and other strongmen out there- I want to change my transmission oil cos it's lookling abit light and 'burnt', my mechanic is also suggesting 'servicing' the 'gear switches'.
Iv googled the name and didn't come up with anything
Is it good to allow him service those switches I see around there(since m tranny works fine), what is it called?
Dude, don't let any kazeem touch ur tranny in d name of servicing. If ur tranny runs fine, just change the fluid with original Honda dw-1 fluid and u will be fine.

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Piyke: 2:19pm On May 13, 2016
copiescopy:
No. I didn't scan the transmission . Can scanning do any magic on the tranny ? i was looking to getting at a new gear box by coming week before .

maybe I could just do a scan and report back .

Scan will not do any magic, will only give a pointer to the problem. oga at the top Gazzuzz don talk am finish, I trust his experience has seen that this is the end of the road sad
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by ukata16(m): 7:06pm On May 13, 2016
@Luvinhubby,
Please do you have undercover of Honda Accord 1998 i4.
Please I want to know the price mine is worn out,any puddle of water splashes into the whole engine area

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by luvinhubby(m): 7:07pm On May 13, 2016
ukata16:
@Luvinhubby,
Please do you have undercover of Honda Accord 1998 i4.
Please I want to know the price mine is worn out,any puddle of water splashes into the whole engine area

Send SMS - 08029255299
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Macmilla(m): 6:29am On May 14, 2016
Macmilla:
The pictures below are pictures of 3 v6 engines from 3 different Honda accord coupe of the same 6th generation (babyboy coupe). If you look closely, you will see some differences in the plug cables.
A has a coil-on-plug configuration while d rest doesn't seem so.
B has d plug cables all exposed while d rest are covered.
My questions...
Are these engines different mechanically? If yes, what are the mechanical differences?
Are they interchangeable?
Which is the best to buy?

Gazzuzz and Siena, plz help.
Someone should please reply to my question. cry
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Belvinho(m): 6:01pm On May 14, 2016
Macmilla:

Someone should please reply to my question. cry

What you did not state is the year you car was produced.

Pic A is the engine for 2000 - 2002 Honda Accord coupe and saloon.

Pic B can't say

Pic C 1998 and 1999 model.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Macmilla(m): 7:58pm On May 14, 2016
Belvinho:

What you did not state is the year you car was produced.

Pic A is the engine for 2000 - 2002 Honda Accord coupe and saloon.

Pic B can't say

Pic C 1998 and 1999 model.
Thanks boss. Any idea if they are interchangeable?
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by otunbakolawole(m): 9:18am On May 15, 2016
for two days now I have noticed that my coolant pours on the ground every morning. all the fans are working. yesterday I replaced the coolant. drove to work no problem. got back late. coolant all on the floor this morning. even the radiator looks empty. what could be wrong?
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by mexxy1(m): 9:52am On May 15, 2016
otunbakolawole:
for two days now I have noticed that my coolant pours on the ground every morning. all the fans are working. yesterday I replaced the coolant. drove to work no problem. got back late. coolant all on the floor this morning. even the radiator looks empty. what could be wrong?

I'm not so sure of this but I think your coolant reservoir may be leaking/ broken leading to the coolant that returns to it when the vehicle is parked to pour on the floor.
Check your coolant reservoir... Like I said, it's a guess.
Thank you.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by nas00(m): 10:42am On May 15, 2016
otunbakolawole:

What are the specifications of your car?

Meanwhile, examine the following:

1) Water pump

2) Metallic pipe connecting water pump to engine block

3) Examine your idle air control valve (is it dry or stained with coolant?)

4) Drive the car unto a ramp and examine the engine bay from below. Generally, coolant stains the area of leakage most. Rarely, leakage may be from the engine block.

5) Examine the radiator and it's connecting pipes (one above and one below) for signs of leakage.

Report any any findings here.

Regards!
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by copiescopy(m): 10:54am On May 15, 2016
brothers in the house please help

I took the car to ladipo on advise of a friend yesterday Saturday .. and one mechanic brought in a gear box from the dealer @ 85k. Now there is one issue on ground the gear box was fitted and the newly installed gear box could only work on D1 the other gears could not engage .. ... even my former gear box that was replaced runs well as it works fine on 1 and 2 but not D3 and D ...

what advise can you guys give me at this instant . Or does it mean the gear box given to me was not the right one specified for 2004 EOD ? one more thing one as they fitted the gear bod the D lights start to blink . and I shouted on the mechanic that even with my former gear box the D does not blink oo.. he said that one is the work of Electrician. the mechanic guy was talking something about electrician going to work on the wiring on Monday and I said no way as I dont buy that idea .

Now the car could not move so I had to park it over at a cousin place in ladipo as I shouted at the mechanic to please kindly remove the gear box and put back my own back for me so I can manage it since the one he bought could not even measure up to my own .It was really a wasted effort as I have told the gear box dealer and he begged me that lets wait till Monday that they will attempt it again and if it dis not work he will have to get me another gear box ..Since it did not even work and I could not drive the car home I am contemplating of telling the dealer to take his gear box back and refund my money . I don’t mind let him take 10k out of the money but he should take his thing back and give me my refunds even if it means losing some of the money as i want refund or a better gear box that will work ..

please what advice is there to offer as I will be at ladipo this Monday to spit fire on the mechanic and dealer to either replace or refund and again if any other thing that could be the magic touch so I can also tell them to do . I need this car to work so I can drive it home safely tomorrow.

Cc:Gazzuzz,sienna,luvinhubby

Piyke:

Scan will not do any magic, will only give a pointer to the problem. oga at the top Gazzuzz don talk am finish, I trust his experience has seen that this is the end of the road sad
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by copiescopy(m): 10:56am On May 15, 2016

I took the car to ladipo on advise of a friend yesterday Saturday .. and one mechanic brought in a gear box from the dealer @ 85k. Now there is one issue on ground the gear box was fitted and the newly installed gear box could only work on D1 the other gears could not engage .. ... even my former gear box that was replaced runs well as it works fine on 1 and 2 but not D3 and D ...

what advise can you guys give me at this instant . Or does it mean the gear box given to me was not the right one specified for 2004 EOD ? one more thing one as they fitted the gear bod the D lights start to blink . and I shouted on the mechanic that even with my former gear box the D does not blink oo.. he said that one is the work of Electrician. the mechanic guy was talking something about electrician going to work on the wiring on Monday and I said no way as I dont buy that idea .

Now the car could not move so I had to park it over at a cousin place in ladipo as I shouted at the mechanic to please kindly remove the gear box and put back my own back for me so I can manage it since the one he bought could not even measure up to my own .It was really a wasted effort as I have told the gear box dealer and he begged me that lets wait till Monday that they will attempt it again and if it dis not work he will have to get me another gear box ..Since it did not even work and I could not drive the car home I am contemplating of telling the dealer to take his gear box back and refund my money . I don’t mind let him take 10k out of the money but he should take his thing back and give me my refunds even if it means losing some of the money as i want refund or a better gear box that will work ..

please what advice is there to offer as I will be at ladipo this Monday to spit fire on the mechanic and dealer to either replace or refund and again if any other thing that could be the magic touch so I can also tell them to do . I need this car to work so I can drive it home safely tomorrow.

Piyke:

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by GAZZUZZ(m): 11:26am On May 15, 2016
copiescopy:

ladipo is not a workshop. You park on the road and your car gets tinkered with. There's no one to spit fire on, your money will "not" be refunded. The gear installed was bad from the start. It might be fixed and reinstalled, or you might be lucky and get a new gearbox by the seller tommorow. Sorry but that's how it works in Ladipo
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Macmilla(m): 12:36pm On May 15, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

ladipo is not a workshop. You park on the road and your car gets tinkered with. There's no one to spit fire on, your money will "not" be refunded. The gear installed was bad from the start. It might be fixed and reinstalled, or you might be lucky and get a new gearbox by the seller tommorow. Sorry but that's how it works in Ladipo
Bros, I greet thee.
I need an answer to a question. Can a 2000-2001 accord engine be installed in a 1998-1999 accord without issues? The 00-01 engine comes with coil on plug, while the older 98-99 engine has a distributor. Are d two engines interchangeable without issues? Does the coil-on-plug configuration give any added benefit over the older distributor style?

Pictures of both engines blow

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Macmilla(m): 12:57pm On May 15, 2016
copiescopy:

This is my greatest mistake as a car owner but it know enough not to make the same stupid mistake again.
In my case I insisted d dealer refunds me my money but like Gazzuzz said, he refused. I didn't let him keep doing trial and error with my car cos d more d car gets dismantled, d more things go wrong in d car. I was finally directed to a WORKSHOP. I asked d boss there how much it will cost me to get a good gearbox in my car. He gave me d whole cos which included buying and installation with new gearbox oil.
I told him I will give him d money and he will do everything cos I won't interfere but I will close down his workshop if don't get a working car in two days time.
I drove d car out of his workshop after two days and drove it for almost two years b4 I sold it to another happy buyer.
And the funny thing was dt my original gearbox was actually fixable according to this new guy after describing d initial problem to him which was just difficulty to switch to 2nd gear ONLY when engine is cold. An gearbox oil change and probably an oil switch replacement could have solved d problem.
I lost more than 200k on a gearbox that costs less than 50k and I learnt my lesson the hard way never to take my car to anywhere that is not someone's workshop.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Piyke: 4:13pm On May 15, 2016
copiescopy:

Why not take your car to Gazzuzz to handle this? Your car will never be the same again if you continue with this roadside Kazeem method
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by disloman(m): 6:13pm On May 15, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

Spot on. Refunding of money is a sin at ladipo.They will keep on changing the gear box till you are stressed out or give up.Only things I can advise people to purchase at Ladipo are body parts/metal spare part.The right place to go for honda parts is Oyingbo.They are organised.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by copiescopy(m): 7:04pm On May 15, 2016
I hope i wont regret this sha . for one I wont take that gear box since it's bad from the start. He either give me a replacement one or he refunds me even if its half my money. Its way more better I fix in my old gear box which I am so damn sure still is better. I know its hard getting a refund but with some little diplomacy I could get some good deal and since it didn't even work in the first instance the much I can do is to ask for a replacement of a good one with some added cash. If that method fails I can just ask them to put in my own back and let me manage my thing and start to save again till I can get a another one done for my by a professional. i pray all goes well.

Macmilla:

This is my greatest mistake as a car owner but it know enough not to make the same stupid mistake again.
In my case I insisted d dealer refunds me my money but like Gazzuzz said, he refused. I didn't let him keep doing trial and error with my car cos d more d car gets dismantled, d more things go wrong in d car. I was finally directed to a WORKSHOP. I asked d boss there how much it will cost me to get a good gearbox in my car. He gave me d whole cos which included buying and installation with new gearbox oil.
I told him I will give him d money and he will do everything cos I won't interfere but I will close down his workshop if don't get a working car in two days time.
I drove d car out of his workshop after two days and drove it for almost two years b4 I sold it to another happy buyer.
And the funny thing was dt my original gearbox was actually fixable according to this new guy after describing d initial problem to him which was just difficulty to switch to 2nd gear ONLY when engine is cold. An gearbox oil change and probably an oil switch replacement could have solved d problem.
I lost more than 200k on a gearbox that costs less than 50k and I learnt my lesson the hard way never to take my car to anywhere that is not someone's workshop.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by copiescopy(m): 7:06pm On May 15, 2016
I hope i wont regret this sha . for one I wont take that gear box since it's bad from the start. He either give me a replacement one or he refunds me even if its half my money. Its way more better I fix in my old gear box which I am so damn sure still is better. I know its hard getting a refund but with some little diplomacy I could get some good deal and since it didn't even work in the first instance the much I can do is to ask for a replacement of a good one with some added cash. If that method fails I can just ask them to put in my own back and let me manage my thing and start to save again till I can get a another one done for my by a professional. i pray all goes well.

Macmilla:

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by luvinhubby(m): 9:36pm On May 15, 2016
copiescopy:

Oga they gave you a refurbished gearbox for 85k, forget about getting a refund in Ladipo & ask for a replacement. Most likely you will add 15k & get a direct tokunboh gear as 100k is the current market price.

If they refuse that way, ask for their nearest union task force office & lodge a report.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Kashif(m): 10:30pm On May 15, 2016
luvinhubby:

Oga they gave you a refurbished gearbox for 85k, forget about getting a refund in Ladipo & ask for a replacement. Most likely you will add 15k & get a direct tokunboh gear as 100k is the current market price.

If they refuse that way, ask for their nearest union task force office & lodge a report.

It may not be refurbished. Not all used transmissions work. Remember, nobody removes a working transmission from a non salvage vehicle.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by luvinhubby(m): 10:47pm On May 15, 2016
Kashif:

It may not be refurbished. Not all used transmissions work. Remember, nobody removes a working transmission from a non salvage vehicle.

Trust me, i know what i am saying.
A newly installed gear selects only gear one, haba!
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by FlyboyZee: 11:27pm On May 15, 2016
luvinhubby:

If they refuse that way, ask for their nearest union task force office & lodge a report
If you don't send my money back to me, I may be forced to do same against you at Oyingbo...

I just don't want to bring our matter here unto public domain so as not to "spoil business" for you, but you are pushing me far and taking me for granted. Please, just do the needful and lets resume normal transmission...
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by copiescopy(m): 7:23am On May 16, 2016
Thanks bro, My first port of call today is the union office . explain things in simple way to them .I dont need that refurbished gear box on my car .The union leader either takes it and let them reinstall my own . I can add 10k to get a better working one but taking that one that is refurbished and even my own is better off than is a no no .

luvinhubby:

(1) (2) (3) ... (73) (74) (75) (76) (77) (78) (79) ... (442) (Reply)

Maintenance Tips On Cars. / Mercedes Benz Thread / Nasty effects of road accidents (caution very graphic and potentially offensive images)!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 118
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.