Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,444 members, 7,830,220 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 05:59 PM

FG And Senate Should Ban Nomadic Cattle Rearing - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG And Senate Should Ban Nomadic Cattle Rearing (5480 Views)

Reno Omokri: Senate Should Learn From Jonathan's Tolerance To Freedom Of Speech / President Buhari And Senate President Saraki Strike A Pose (photo) / Why Senate Should Impeach GEJ – Melaye (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG And Senate Should Ban Nomadic Cattle Rearing by mrperfect(m): 11:01am On Jul 23, 2012
More education and better structurin is needed not banning.
Re: FG And Senate Should Ban Nomadic Cattle Rearing by sylve11: 11:03am On Jul 23, 2012
Okija_juju: Yes indeed...

If they do, then these Illegal immigrant, Normadic cattlefucking, terrorists that call themselves fulanis would realize that their is no room for them in Nigeria and migrate back to chad and Niger where they came from..

Infact, they should make Normadic farming illegal and then make gun laws that allow us to shoot Normads that enter our lands.. That way, Fulanis will become an endangered specie and leave Nigeria!! angry

Yeah!!

Crude oil will finish in another 200 years and we have enough gas to last us over 500 years.. Okay!! Good!!

Guy why hate these people like this? cool
Re: FG And Senate Should Ban Nomadic Cattle Rearing by araromiii: 11:10am On Jul 23, 2012
NIGERIAN IT HIGH WE TALK SENSE TO EACH OTHER
FG LEAVE WHAT THEY SHOULD FOCUS ON THEY ARE
TALKING ABOUT NORMARDIC FARMING PLS TACKLE
THE INSECURITY CHALLENGE WE ARE FAACING IN
THIS COUNTRY.PLS WE NEED TO DO SOMETHING
URGENT IT IS IMPERATIVE FOR US BECAUSE OF THE EXISGENCY
OF HUMAN LIFE SECURITY.
Re: FG And Senate Should Ban Nomadic Cattle Rearing by digospel2: 11:11am On Jul 23, 2012
Truly, nomadic form of cattle rearing is outdated and primitive. The government should provide strict law for ranch form of rearing cattle. Its unfortunate at this jet age that you found cattle, goat, fowl, duck-fowl, dog, cat etc in our street even in Abuja. Animals in civilised societies are kept in their own form of houses for sanitary reasons. Nigeria should rise to the modern technics of keeping/rearing animals.

1 Like

Re: FG And Senate Should Ban Nomadic Cattle Rearing by Pakavy(m): 11:22am On Jul 23, 2012
Billyonaire: It should not be banned, so many families of the Nomads depends on it for livelihood.
and besides it is their way of lyf,their culture and traditions.i know is primitive but nigeria itself is primitive compared 2 d lyks of america and canada dat practice ranchland farming
Re: FG And Senate Should Ban Nomadic Cattle Rearing by Nobody: 11:22am On Jul 23, 2012
If they ban them, when the price of meat goes up in the market, you will be the first to complain. As for the ranching system, we don't have electricity and the needed infrastructures to start that. Also, there are various issues that arise from ranching. So ultimately, prices will rise. Having a good transport system, e.g rail network will allow for herdsmen to migrate with their cows freely during the different seasons. If govt subsidizes the movement of cattle and other livestock, then prices will not increase. So you people should think well before you speak.
Re: FG And Senate Should Ban Nomadic Cattle Rearing by An0nimus: 11:22am On Jul 23, 2012
Stallion77: There shuld be a path void of farmlands designated for them...and dats if they will comply...cos their wahala sef don taya me.They ar everywhere!!!

Even in my school. It's a funny site seeing cows going to lectures with students. My friend stepped on cow poop yesterday cheesy
Re: FG And Senate Should Ban Nomadic Cattle Rearing by rawtruth(m): 11:24am On Jul 23, 2012
The fulanis see nomadic cattle rearing beyond the availability of grazing land; they see it as a way of penetrating and dominating those who could not be subdued by the Othman Dan Fodio jihad. That is why any talk about ranches don't interest them. Their 'big brothers' in govt are behind all this. Otherwise, how could one explain their silence when grazing related crises are destroying lives and property on both sides and rendering the prospect of further access to grazing lands by the fulanis even more tedious? One can hear the background voices telling the fulanis not to worry, 'whether they like it or not we shall graze wherever we want'. This is an attitude that has for long closed their eyes to the benefits of modern ways of animal breeding.

It is a wonder that Fulanis have refused to see into the future where their present nomadic culture shall have no accommodation, and no relevance to humans' collective resolve to dump such primitive and harmful practices which are destructive to the environment.

2 Likes

Re: FG And Senate Should Ban Nomadic Cattle Rearing by Okijajuju1(m): 11:29am On Jul 23, 2012
sylve11:

Because they are not Nigerians, yet have killed countless Nigerians and keep stirring up troubles for us.. The Northerners allowed these fuckers to enter Nigeria through their borders, now look at them suffering!!
Re: FG And Senate Should Ban Nomadic Cattle Rearing by Biggyd2: 11:42am On Jul 23, 2012
And why won't states encourage farmers to go into large scale animal husbandry? Their cattle is not for free so really they are not doing Nigerians any special favour. And if they stop selling meat to Nigerians, I believe strongly that we would look for other alternatives. And think about it; is red meat so good for us? grin.

1 Like

Re: FG And Senate Should Ban Nomadic Cattle Rearing by rawtruth(m): 11:43am On Jul 23, 2012
sylve11:

You may hate them more than he does if you would open this link:
http://www.anglicandioceseofjos.org/dogo.html
Re: FG And Senate Should Ban Nomadic Cattle Rearing by Nobody: 11:50am On Jul 23, 2012
TroGunn:

Haba Bilyonaire. No one is asking for them to lose their cows, they should just rear their cows in a ranch instead of roaming about. They can always come together to form a bigger unit and buy land for a ranch.
TroGunn, will you blame me for not understanding the title of the thread ?
Re: FG And Senate Should Ban Nomadic Cattle Rearing by tempest01(m): 11:52am On Jul 23, 2012
The fulani's on their own part, are helping us provide meat on our tables. U should not be talking about banning them, but ow to mitigate the negative effects of their itinerant trade. The intensive rearing u r talking about, have u done ur research? These cows are fed on corn. Is that natural? Do u know they av to be pumped with antibiotics t mitigate the effect of being forced to eat corn. What's the availability of corn for their feeding? What's the health effects to them and to us? Someone rightly mentioned the mad cow disease...av u thought of chronic diseases that can also affect us? Obesity etc...
Someone also talked about their waste if cows are bred indoors, the antibiotics and all will contaminate the wastes...where will u dispose that off?
The issue of the grazing path, I think it is a good solution but it shouldn't be nation wide. It should only be made in places where clashes occur. And it should be solely for grazing, no settling. I rest my case.

1 Like

Re: FG And Senate Should Ban Nomadic Cattle Rearing by DICKtator: 11:59am On Jul 23, 2012
TroGunn:

Why would govt maintain ranches? Is govt maintaining crop farms for crop farmers?

Are you indirectly insinuating that Evelyn Oputu, Bank of Agriculture and the likes are not supporting the farmers?
These MDAs are most willing to but it is the apathy of the farmers to loans and repayment plans coupled with the present economic situation in the country.

To digress a bit, lets take a cue from Saraki and the Zimbabwe farmers!.
Look at the endless possibilities of ameliorating the situation!!!
Re: FG And Senate Should Ban Nomadic Cattle Rearing by Santi222(m): 12:56pm On Jul 23, 2012
TroGunn: The current nomadic grazing by the Fulani herdsmen should be outlawed. The Senate should be passing a law to ban this practice for the following reasons:

1) The practice is dirty and unhealthy and leads to spreading of diseases due to the unsanitary dumping of animal and human faeces by the nomads and their animals.
2) Nomadic cattle rearing has no long term future. Ranching is the way to go. The earlier ranching is enforced the better.
3) Will eliminate the destruction of valuable crops
4) Will eliminate the conflicts between the crop farmers and the herdsmen.
5) Will reduce the violent crimes of armed robbery and r.ap.es known to be perpetrated by the herdsmen.
grin
TroGunn: The current nomadic grazing by the Fulani herdsmen should be outlawed. The Senate should be passing a law to ban this practice for the following reasons:

1) The practice is dirty and unhealthy and leads to spreading of diseases due to the unsanitary dumping of animal and human faeces by the nomads and their animals.
2) Nomadic cattle rearing has no long term future. Ranching is the way to go. The earlier ranching is enforced the better.
3) Will eliminate the destruction of valuable crops
4) Will eliminate the conflicts between the crop farmers and the herdsmen.
5) Will reduce the violent crimes of armed robbery and r.ap.es known to be perpetrated by the herdsmen.
no more fura da nono ranching will remove d subsidy on kponmo. Wetin we come dey chop?
Re: FG And Senate Should Ban Nomadic Cattle Rearing by tunnytox(m): 1:22pm On Jul 23, 2012
musiwa...:
why not keep your mouth shut.. they have the right like you people to live anywhere they want... I dont know why you people alway support hate..

how to fix the problem is better railway service.. when the rail use to be good. they use it.. but the rails are not good.. what do you expect. do you blame them... they have to make a living. it is hard for them to control the cows.

the need to have an effective rail service.

they dont have to travel with the cattle. if the govt help them.. the govt is not helping agric or farmers.. it is just talk and talk.

farms cant get loans.. Niger delta militia are the one getting loan. Nigerian are upset.

Seriously? Which planet do you come from? Honestly, I'm beginning to have a different view of your mental health state because none if your contributions ever make any sense. What has effective rail system got to do with some set of people hell bent in destroying other people's means of livelihood just to feed their cattle?
Re: FG And Senate Should Ban Nomadic Cattle Rearing by dulaman: 2:24pm On Jul 23, 2012
tempest01: The fulani's on their own part, are helping us provide meat on our tables. U should not be talking about banning them, but ow to mitigate the negative effects of their itinerant trade. The intensive rearing u r talking about, have u done ur research? These cows are fed on corn. Is that natural? Do u know they av to be pumped with antibiotics t mitigate the effect of being forced to eat corn. What's the availability of corn for their feeding? What's the health effects to them and to us? Someone rightly mentioned the mad cow disease...av u thought of chronic diseases that can also affect us? Obesity etc...
Someone also talked about their waste if cows are bred indoors, the antibiotics and all will contaminate the wastes...where will u dispose that off?
The issue of the grazing path, I think it is a good solution but it shouldn't be nation wide. It should only be made in places where clashes occur. And it should be solely for grazing, no settling. I rest my case.
words with sense
Re: FG And Senate Should Ban Nomadic Cattle Rearing by swoosh(m): 2:45pm On Jul 23, 2012
If you ever loose just one relation or friend or collegue (just one) to the fulani attack- then you will realize just how painful it is for a herdsman to value his cattle over the life of your loved one - then you will be better informed as to whther or not to defend the Fulani herdsmen
Re: FG And Senate Should Ban Nomadic Cattle Rearing by Okijajuju1(m): 2:47pm On Jul 23, 2012
FG should make it legal to kill any Fulani herdsman found in any place that isnt the express road... angry

I have no love or mercy for these infidels.. They are of no benefit to us..

Re: FG And Senate Should Ban Nomadic Cattle Rearing by AlhajiPastor: 3:25pm On Jul 23, 2012
musiwa...:
why not keep your mouth shut.. they have the right like you people to live anywhere they want... I dont know why you people alway support hate..

how to fix the problem is better railway service.. when the rail use to be good. they use it.. but the rails are not good.. what do you expect. do you blame them... they have to make a living. it is hard for them to control the cows.

the need to have an effective rail service.

they dont have to travel with the cattle. if the govt help them.. the govt is not helping agric or farmers.. it is just talk and talk.

farms cant get loans.. Niger delta militia are the one getting loan. Nigerian are upset.

must you always come here to show ur low I.Q anytime your mouth is scratching you?
Re: FG And Senate Should Ban Nomadic Cattle Rearing by Dondbuzor: 3:29pm On Jul 23, 2012
@op try and add a poll next for such a topic.
@topic I honestly think dat d method of cattle rearing by d fulanis has caused serious problem in dis country. This has led to numerous loss of lives in many states in nigeria. I think is time these fulanis embrace education to learn modern ways of animal farmin such as ranching.
Also the govt has a major part to play in d above, by providing avenue for d fulanis to learn news of cattle rearin
Re: FG And Senate Should Ban Nomadic Cattle Rearing by Les: 4:09pm On Jul 23, 2012
Billyonaire: It should not be banned, so many families of the Nomads depends on it for livelihood.
i guess it's d last ten generations of okadamen's families dat depended on that 4 livelihood, abi?

1 Like

Re: FG And Senate Should Ban Nomadic Cattle Rearing by jaysm(f): 4:13pm On Jul 23, 2012
Infact, let them leave as soon as possible. They, have killed a widower who lost the wife just after 3months living the children offan. They set fire in d bush and burnt people's yam left in their farms cos, they want d grass to grow afresh. Enough of the havoc abeg!

1 Like

Re: FG And Senate Should Ban Nomadic Cattle Rearing by Nobody: 4:17pm On Jul 23, 2012
Dondbuzor: @op try and add a poll next for such a topic.
@topic I honestly think dat d method of cattle rearing by d fulanis has caused serious problem in dis country. This has led to numerous loss of lives in many states in nigeria. I think is time these fulanis embrace education to learn modern ways of animal farmin such as ranching.
Also the govt has a major part to play in d above, by providing avenue for d fulanis to learn news of cattle rearin

Another reason why ranching cant work is our climate. Asides the cost implication, during the dry season, the nomads take their cattle to the south because the grass in the north wither(spelling) and die. But in the rainy season, they have to return to the north, because the south harbours insects like tse-tse fly that gives the animals diseases. Also, the grass in the south becomes overgrown during the rainy season, and its then the north has good grass. Its simple secondary school Agric Science. Ranching effectively works only in temperate regions. All i feel govt has to do is look for alternative means to deal with the issue without banning Fulani's outright. They are nigerians like me and you.
Re: FG And Senate Should Ban Nomadic Cattle Rearing by str8talk1: 4:24pm On Jul 23, 2012
First,if i'm 2 b d Gov. of my state,i'll nt waste time 2 present a bill 2 d state house of assembly outlawing cattle grazing/movement on another person's land.
Second,d normads shld hold dia government accountable 4 failing 2 secure dia future. how?
1) dey shld ask dem wat hv dey bn doing wt d ecological funds dey use 2 collect wt dia state allocation?
2) what action hv dia past n present rulers(what we hv now r rulers/tin gods n not leaders anymore) taken 2 stop d desertification of northern nigeria lands unabated?
3) is governance all about collecting monthly allocation n sharing it 4 political patronage as itz bn doing in dis clime.
4) how hv dey bn empowered enof by dia Governors in terms of education,sensitization of danger of desertification n how 2 stop it 4rm spreading further.
Answers 2 these questions will help us 2 understand d mess these northern govs. hv put dia pple into as dey r just bunch of indolent,opportunists,lazy thinkers,political boko haram members who kills dia pple wt d pen of corruption and devoid of wat governance is all about.
Re: FG And Senate Should Ban Nomadic Cattle Rearing by str8talk1: 5:08pm On Jul 23, 2012
sylve11:

r u a Boko haram apologist/member?
Re: FG And Senate Should Ban Nomadic Cattle Rearing by Dyce: 5:21pm On Jul 23, 2012
Ban in Jesus name. Those nomadians has been giving 9ja headache. I no send where dem go voom go.
Re: FG And Senate Should Ban Nomadic Cattle Rearing by size38: 5:30pm On Jul 23, 2012
The fulani cattle rearers should be retricted to northern part alone and in a specific areas too. because we are not in a normadic society where they can be roaming up and down with their cattles.
Re: FG And Senate Should Ban Nomadic Cattle Rearing by PointB: 5:56pm On Jul 23, 2012
I am really worried about possible spread of disease as the OP suggested.

What in this animal contract some 'deadly' disease carrying virus or super bugs in their long migratory trek from the North to South or vice versa. Where does that leave the human population since this animal cannot easily be quarantined. Even to cull such disease animals will surely provoke another violent protestation by the mostly uneducated herders.

As we move on into the 21st century, sanitation, and cross border disease prevention should be primary to all level of governance, and the governed. Acting today to stop Nomadic Cattle rearing, might save us tomorrow from potential cataclysmic event, if deadly animal disease jumps to man. We must act NOW!

If however government fails to act, individuals should start making the very smart and healthy choice of snail, fish, rabbit, grass-cutter, turkey, chicken, ahead of goat, cows, and other red meat. These other meat sources are readily available in the local farms around most people in the south; and the practice of fishery is spreading like wild fire across the south.

Expatiating the prudence or implication of my suggestion, is needless.
Re: FG And Senate Should Ban Nomadic Cattle Rearing by odumchi: 7:58pm On Jul 23, 2012
Why not set up reservations for nomadic herders?
Re: FG And Senate Should Ban Nomadic Cattle Rearing by MrEverest(m): 7:11am On Jul 24, 2012
Yes! Yes!! Yes!!!
Re: FG And Senate Should Ban Nomadic Cattle Rearing by digospel2: 12:53pm On Jul 24, 2012
Just take a look at the pictures of the lives destroyed by the fulanis at Jos recently and other places. Shall we continue to tolerate them because of cheap meat in the market? In nutrition today, beef is no longer demanded like other animal protein that are properly kept without contituting nuisance to the people and the environment like assorted fish, chicken, turkey, rabbit etc. Let us weigh the advantages and disadvantages of the nomadic fulanis for a peaceful society please. If they cannot accept modern ranching they should return to where they are accepted and tolerated, Nigeria will not starve of animal protein.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Apc Rally: Provocative And Uncivilised- Igp / Vote Buying A Threat To Nigeria’s Democracy- Saraki, Dogara / Breaking: Factional Labour Party Chair, Lamidi Apapa Release Official Picture

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.