Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,204 members, 7,818,695 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:56 PM

FG To Stop Rice Importation In 2015 - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / FG To Stop Rice Importation In 2015 (4883 Views)

Dangote Pledges To Assist FG To Turnaround Nigeria’s Economy / FG To Earn N2.5b Daily From N50 Bank Charge / FG To Ban Packaged Sugar Importation In January (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG To Stop Rice Importation In 2015 by ballabriggs: 11:26pm On Jul 23, 2012
chucky234: Your points are baseless in present day Nigeria

GBAM!!!

Import substitution is for disciplined countries. A government that says its "hands are tied" over petroleum smuggling wants to implement import substitution.

A government that has never implemented over 50% of projects in its budget wants import substitution.
Re: FG To Stop Rice Importation In 2015 by Nobody: 11:38pm On Jul 23, 2012
ballabriggs:

GBAM!!!

Import substitution is for disciplined countries. A government that says its "hands are tied" over petroleum smuggling wants to implement import substitution.

A government that has never implemented over 50% of projects in its budget wants import substitution.

Your points are ?
Re: FG To Stop Rice Importation In 2015 by ballabriggs: 11:52pm On Jul 23, 2012
Billyonaire: Your points are ?

It is more complex than the infant industry argument. Other factors like a countries domestic capacity is critical to success of a trade policy.
Re: FG To Stop Rice Importation In 2015 by pleep(m): 2:09am On Jul 24, 2012
You guys are fools and you don't know anything about economics.
Before u all rushed to attack this, did you think about its positive consequences?

1. Local rice growing creates jobs for Nigerians.

2. It lowers dependence on foreign countries... would u like Nigeria to get embargoed an we all starve?

3. It keeps money in the economy, and in the country.

An importation LovePeddler country like Nigeria will never succeed until we learn to be self sufficient, we need to provide for ourselves. That is the key to economic success. The federal governments approach is a little heavy handed, (i would prefer tariffs on foreign rice) but it is a huge step in the right direction.
Re: FG To Stop Rice Importation In 2015 by Nobody: 5:20am On Jul 24, 2012
ballabriggs:

It is more complex than the infant industry argument. Other factors like a countries domestic capacity is critical to success of a trade policy.
I asked for your point, and you talk about trade policy. What has this to with trade. Jesus! I thought u had brains before you stage an argument with me. Dont do this please. Latent ignorance gets me upset.
Re: FG To Stop Rice Importation In 2015 by 2sexy(m): 5:55am On Jul 24, 2012
Billyonaire: Seun we can discuss this all night night. I have proofs to the food contamination by the "Superior Race", you need to start listening to people like Louis Farrakhan. Their intention is based on a policy to reduce or weed out the "inferior races" so the innovative race can dominate for ever. Why in essence do you think America can risk all resources to protect Israelites.

Going back to local production of food. Seun, think deeply the implication of this: Should Nigeria become a Lybia or Syria, or even a North Korean and there is Trade Embargo or Economic Sanction against Nigeria, hunger go kill you within3 weeks since you depend 100% on importation of common thing like food. Anyway, I no go mind to see grown up man like you holding plastic plate stand for line fighting to collect food from RED CROSS if you insist on importation. Nigeria needs to go back to the "Operation Feed the Nation" days. Indonesia and Malaysia borrow palm kernel from this country now free oil money has killed agriculture, all man wan dey inside oil/gas and IT and some are becoming celebrities. Agriculture is crying and bushes are turning to forests.

Seun, let me remind you that if the several billions of dollars put into importation was used to buy locally grown food, by now, I sure say u for throw your laptop away and become a CoCoa farmer and I would have thrown my tankers away and become fertilizer manufacturer. We need to grow up. if not, we stand the fail as a nation tomorrow. If we cant grow our own food, we will face famine tomorrow. Mark my words.
and who told you that this will ever come to pass? Why people easily decieved in Nigeria? What do gain you from deceptive acts of devil's incarnates?
Hasn't the death of people taught anyone of you a lesson? Is the blood spilled not enough? Whoever wishes Nigeria bad or plot evil in any form against the masses will have his lineage and generation suffer. There will be no peace in his or her lineage.

Importation ban my foot. Why not start something and let us see with our eyes. In Benin City, Action speak for the government and not the mouth of the Government. Must you announce everything before action? Is this not the same bas.tar.d that promised 3 new refineries at the inception of his reign and where are the refineries today? Ooh I see. It's now 6 refineries in partnership with a US firm. A few months from now it would be 9refineries and yet people applaud this lousy devils. Whoever is supporting this so call FG,no matter how small will have the devil and evil visit his house and that goes to anyone who does not wish this country well.
God will punish them all.

And if you are already dancing in praise and worshipping FG for this fit, you are the most foolish person on earth. No wonder this country is doomed because people easily get excited over never-come-to-pass news.
Re: FG To Stop Rice Importation In 2015 by Mrhod: 6:09am On Jul 24, 2012
Imposable
Re: FG To Stop Rice Importation In 2015 by stpat1(m): 6:42am On Jul 24, 2012
Hmm After reading some ppls comments I realize some are just better off programming instead of giving economic advice.
Well now to the topic, Banning of rice is wholly welcome and in fact its even coming late. We have vast arable fertile land that favours rice plantations and processing it to the highest quality is not an impossible task that we can't achieve.

We have various regions in the country that produce good healthy rice, Abakaliki, Ekpoma, Ofada, etc.

I only hope they will implement it to the letter cos its like GEJ is good with policies but implementation is his problem.
Re: FG To Stop Rice Importation In 2015 by Cyberconnect12: 6:53am On Jul 24, 2012
olusipimp: i wont blame dt bomboy.....he wants we ppl to start eating cassava bread produced from bayelsa.....isn't dis weird/
Re: FG To Stop Rice Importation In 2015 by Seun(m): 7:09am On Jul 24, 2012
pleep: You guys are fools and you don't know anything about economics.
Before u all rushed to attack this, did you think about its positive consequences?

1. Local rice growing creates jobs for Nigerians.
How many people can the industry possibly employ? Even if rice production can employ 1% of Nigerians (160,000 people), which is unlikely because large scale mechanised agriculture does not require a lot of workers, in essence you're punishing 160 million Nigerians with expensive food in order to give jobs to less than 1% of the population. Just like we are all currently being punished with expensive accommodation nationwide to benefit the shareholders of Dangote Cement. Punishing the majority to benefit a minority is very undemocratic.

2. It lowers dependence on foreign countries... would u like Nigeria to get embargoed an we all starve?
Can you name a single occasion when the citizens of a democratic country were starved because of a food embargo? Such embargoes simply don't happen. Famine and food shortages only occur in the modern world when importation is banned and local production is unable to meet demand due to factors like drought. Food importation provides weather insurance, which is much more important in real life.

3. It keeps money in the economy, and in the country.
Nonsense. We can eat rice, but can we eat the money? What is money good for if you can't buy what you need with it?

An importation LovePeddler country like Nigeria will never succeed until we learn to be self sufficient, we need to provide for ourselves. That is the key to economic success. The federal governments approach is a little heavy handed, (i would prefer tariffs on foreign rice) but it is a huge step in the right direction
There is no self-sufficient country in the world. Exporters depend on importers and importers depend on exporters. When countries depend on each other for various things, that's good for the world because it promotes peace. Don't you like a peaceful world?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FG To Stop Rice Importation In 2015 by Stallion77(f): 7:56am On Jul 24, 2012
bayooooooo: Banning importation of a commodity is not a bad policy (I would have preferred an increase in duty to outright ban though). What's bad is not having a good local substitute and lack of enough capacity to offset the net importation.

You have spoken like an intelligent person bayoooo' . Thumbs up to u.
Re: FG To Stop Rice Importation In 2015 by ballabriggs: 8:00am On Jul 24, 2012
Billyonaire: I asked for your point, and you talk about trade policy. What has this to with trade. Jesus! I thought u had brains before you stage an argument with me. Dont do this please. Latent ignorance gets me upset.

Ignorance is bliss. So you don't even know the foundation of what you are talking about thus you ask ignorantly, "what has that got to do with trade?"

Chai!!! Na waoh, they need wash your head for river Benue.

If you had brains, you would understand what I mean. Unfortunately you are not so intelligent to know what trade policy means, you just open your mouth to ignorantly type trash on the internet.

Go get a proper education Mr before you mislead millions of people. I'm not here to teach you basic trade economics.
Re: FG To Stop Rice Importation In 2015 by Nobody: 8:22am On Jul 24, 2012
Seun: This is the kind of Economic idiocy that leads to food shortages and famine all over Africa. The effect of restricting importation of a staple food is that the cost of food will go up. This makes life more difficult for the poor. What kind of devil wants that to happen? Some people who would can currently afford just enough food to avoid starvation will have to die when the importation of rice is banned. For what?

The people planting this Rice, processing it and sending it to Nigeria are they not humans. Abeg make our Anambra Rice plant begin to work make i venture into Rice plantation jo cool
Re: FG To Stop Rice Importation In 2015 by emsquare(m): 8:22am On Jul 24, 2012
Billyonaire: Up GEJ, FRESH AIR!!!

Hmmm!!!
Re: FG To Stop Rice Importation In 2015 by Seun(m): 8:34am On Jul 24, 2012
CHESSBOARD: Abeg make our Anambra Rice plant begin to work make i venture into Rice plantation jo cool
You can venture into it right away. What's stopping you? Competition?
Re: FG To Stop Rice Importation In 2015 by kaboninc(m): 9:16am On Jul 24, 2012
Seun:
Why? Don't you like cheap food? Would you like to live in a country where only the rich can afford to buy rice?

Really? And you posted it on a public forum? Ok, what stops them from hiring agents to "contaminate" our local foods?

The decision of whether to import or not import should be left to Nigerians. If you want to buy cheap imported rice, you should be free to do so. And if you prefer to eat yams every day, even when they are out of season and therefore expensive, you should be free to do so. But the government should not prevent me from buying cheap rice. The only beneficiaries of such policies are the handful of people involved in agriculture. I suspect that there are many factors responsible for our reliance on imported food. If those factors are resolved, the government won't need to ban anything. On the other hand, if they are not resolved, then an import ban would cause a lot of pain. If the government wants to help, let them find a way to do it without taking away our freedom to import cheap food.
The decision to stop importation of food really depends on Nigeria and the last time I checked the majority of Nigerians supporte the move except people like you. You don't have a point here.
Re: FG To Stop Rice Importation In 2015 by Deleahmed: 10:18am On Jul 24, 2012
GEJ is really working. This will go along way in helping our indigenous and local market to grow and also develop our local industries.
Re: FG To Stop Rice Importation In 2015 by Doctorflaky(f): 12:36pm On Jul 24, 2012
Seun:
Why? Don't you like cheap food? Would you like to live in a country where only the rich can afford to buy rice?

Really? And you posted it on a public forum? Ok, what stops them from hiring agents to "contaminate" our local foods?

The decision of whether to import or not import should be left to Nigerians. If you want to buy cheap imported rice, you should be free to do so. And if you prefer to eat yams every day, even when they are out of season and therefore expensive, you should be free to do so. But the government should not prevent me from buying cheap rice. The only beneficiaries of such policies are the handful of people involved in agriculture. I suspect that there are many factors responsible for our reliance on imported food. If those factors are resolved, the government won't need to ban anything. On the other hand, if they are not resolved, then an import ban would cause a lot of pain. If the government wants to help, let them find a way to do it without taking away our freedom to import cheap food.
Seun I sent a mail to you and u didn't reply me. I wanted to know how I can change my username name. Thanks
Re: FG To Stop Rice Importation In 2015 by omamokta: 1:51pm On Jul 24, 2012
Abakaliki Rice all the way!
Re: FG To Stop Rice Importation In 2015 by Seun(m): 2:10pm On Jul 24, 2012
the last time I checked the majority of Nigerians supported the move except people like you.
That's simply not true. The average Nigerian does not want the price of food to go up. The masses would only support such ideas to the extent that they are ignorant of the costs, namely, that such a ban will cause the price of rice and other staples to go up. Once they are informed, they won't support it.
Re: FG To Stop Rice Importation In 2015 by supereagle(m): 4:28pm On Jul 24, 2012
Ofada & Abakaliki rice is better than imported rice. We have them stone free now. The problem with Govt is that they give promise not backed by action. When OBJ Was there , by 2010 there will be no rice importation. This is 2012 , the vision was not achieved.
Re: FG To Stop Rice Importation In 2015 by pleep(m): 4:47pm On Jul 24, 2012
Seun:
How many people can the industry possibly employ? Even if rice production can employ 1% of Nigerians (160,000 people), which is unlikely because large scale mechanised agriculture does not require a lot of workers, in essence you're punishing 160 million Nigerians with expensive food in order to give jobs to less than 1% of the population. Just like we are all currently being punished with expensive accommodation nationwide to benefit the shareholders of Dangote Cement. Punishing the majority to benefit a minority is very undemocratic.
First off, rice growing is quite labor intensive in 3rd world countries. But like I said, this is a step in the right direction not the solution. In order for the job growth to be more significant we must stop importation of all foods and eventually clothing and mechanical goods. Why do you think the unemployment rate is so high in Africa? We don't create anything! Everything is imported from foreign countries, giving jobs to their people not ours. The stopping of rice importation is a small step towards reducing this disparity.

Your complaining about Dangote cement now, but these government policies are benefiting you via less unemployment, less crime etc.

Can you name a single occasion when the citizens of a democratic country were starved because of a food embargo? Such embargoes simply don't happen. Famine and food shortages only occur in the modern world when importation is banned and local production is unable to meet demand due to factors like drought. Food importation provides weather insurance, which is much more important in real life.
Ok, but imagine if the value of the dollar got so high that Nigerians could no longer afford american rice, what would happen then? In moments of food shortage governments often prevent their local food growers from exporting, keeping all that food in the local market. This prevents the population from having to buy food at the international market price. In Nigeria we barely even have local food producers, so in a food crisis we would starve.

Nonsense. We can eat rice, but can we eat the money? What is money good for if you can't buy what you need with it?
You need to fix this veiwpoint. This is the most important principle of economics. Africa is poor because we don't keep money in our community, the more physical money is present in a country the higher the purchasing power of the citizen. That is the ability to buy food or anything else at the international market price if needed. Right now there is a net flow of money out of Africa into Europe, America, and Asia. This is mainly because of importation.

Did you know that foreign rice is actually more expensive to produce than locally grown rice? Its being subsidized by the American government. They do this because they understand the principles I am trying to explain here. The United States knows that if Africa is importing American rice, that brings African money into the American economy.
Re: FG To Stop Rice Importation In 2015 by kaboninc(m): 9:20am On Jul 26, 2012
Seun:
That's simply not true. The average Nigerian does not want the price of food to go up. The masses would only support such ideas to the extent that they are ignorant of the costs, namely, that such a ban will cause the price of rice and other staples to go up. Once they are informed, they won't support it.
As a president or adviser, which will you encourage: importation of products that can be sourced locally or locally producing such products?

(1) (2) (Reply)

CBN Pumps $210m Into Forex Market / Dollar Wahala: See What People Who Want Cheaper Rates Should Do / Price Of Deep Cycle Battery

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.