Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,658 members, 7,823,866 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:54 PM

How Can I Send Articles On General Topics To National Newspapers - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / How Can I Send Articles On General Topics To National Newspapers (10247 Views)

11 Interesting Topics To Talk About With Anyone / Get Expert On General Cleaning And Fumigation / Nlc/tuc Final Conclusion On General Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Can I Send Articles On General Topics To National Newspapers by shaf: 7:24am On Jul 24, 2012
Just wanted to know how i can send out articles to Nigerian newspapers via e-mail? Especially daily trust or leadership.
Please help...
Re: How Can I Send Articles On General Topics To National Newspapers by Maxymilliano(m): 9:03am On Jul 24, 2012
Don't know about the aforementioned media house but for The Nation newspaper - Views@thenationonlineng.net, Thisday- Opinion@thisdaylive.com, Guardian- Letters@ngrguardiannews.com, Punch - Lagospunch@punchng.com.

You article should be objective before it can be considered for publication.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can I Send Articles On General Topics To National Newspapers by shaf: 6:06pm On Jul 24, 2012
Thank you Max for this information.
Re: How Can I Send Articles On General Topics To National Newspapers by Gerrard59(m): 12:33am On Oct 08, 2018
Maxymilliano:
Don't know about the aforementioned media house but for The Nation newspaper - Views@thenationonlineng.net, Thisday- Opinion@thisdaylive.com, Guardian- Letters@ngrguardiannews.com, Punch - Lagospunch@punchng.com.

You article should be objective before it can be considered for publication.

Hello MaxyMilliano,

Do you have an idea of mail addresses that exist? Or updated versions? As none of the afore-listed mails exists, unfortunately.

Regards.
Re: How Can I Send Articles On General Topics To National Newspapers by AzeezRidwan10(m): 6:18pm On Feb 10, 2019
THE ONNOGHEN BROUHAHA

In the last few weeks, the print media and other media outlets and the Nigerian populace have been awash with news of the suspension of the former Chief Justice of Nigeria; Justice Walter Onnoghen on the ground of false assets declaration though as mischievous as it may be, the arguments centered on the legality of the president’s action on the former CJN. I t is the view of some legal pundits that since the president acted on the order of the CCT, then his action is legally justified while some kicked against this position on the basis that the judiciary is an independent body that should be free from the influence of the executive claiming that it is only the NJC which the CJN is the head that has jurisdiction to preside over this matter. A position which I out rightly disputed because of its contradiction with the principle of “Nemo Judex in Causa Sua” Meaning: you cannot be a judge in your own cause. Will the CJN now preside over his own matter?  A question yet to be answered by the Onnoghenists. As the arguments raged on, analysts in their attempt to justify their respective formidable positions, attempted to even question the authenticity or legality of the involvement and decision of the CCT on this Matter.

The issue of who actually has jurisdiction over this matter has been contested by the NJC and the CCT. i.e, the National Judicial Council and the Code of Conduct Tribunal. The NJC, the country’s highest judicial body is the only body that has jurisdiction over this matter as claimed by some lawyers and as such, the PDP cried foul and said the “Procedure” for the “Removal” of the CJN was not followed. Buta meeting of the NJC had been postponed indefinitely by no other personality than its chair, the CJN. Yet the PDP and the lawyers insisted that the NJC must be the arbiter in this matter.

The CCT on the other hand, is a court charged the responsibility of checking the excesses of a public office holder. The government insisted that the allegation of false assets declaration is within the purview of the CCT because it did not occur in the line of duty. It arose in the conduct of the CJN as a public officer. In essence, the “Procedure” became the subject of the huge row while the substance-the CJN, ”Mistakenly” ”Forgot”  to declare that he had some humungous cash in some accounts and gargantuan buildings in some places did not matter. Some lawyers kicked against this, they said, considering the caliber and elated status of the man involved, the CJN, “Procedure” should not override “Substance” others, led by the NBA insisted on “Due process” and the question comes, “What is due process” and when is a process due and is seen to be truly due if all concerned wants to be dutiful? Some are even saying why is all this happening now when election is fast approaching but the answer is just; why not now?

A good illustration is pregnant woman who has been in labor for long and finding it difficult to conceive through the “Due process” with all the stress and pains, should the doctors insists on the “Due process” of she having her baby naturally or opt for the “Necessary process” of CS to save the mother and baby? And when should the CJN be seen as a “Law officer as different from a Public officer”? A question to ruminate on. Some lawyers hold a liberalist view that the CJN should have allowed the NJC to sit and his absence would be welcomed on the excuse that he could not sit over his own case.

Although, the former CJN had been suspended and an acting CJN has been appointed, the controversy still rages on as some agitators against the suspension have challenged the action on grounds of illegality or unconstitutionality. The NBA which blazed the trail in the challenge of the suspension of the CJN by the presidency ordered a controversial boycott of courts, which many lawyers shunned; they said they could not obstruct the course of justice for their clients because of the CJN. The CJN should bear its burden by himself they said. Some bold ones in the bar even went further by questioning the integrity of the NBA as a result of money laundering charges leveled against its chairman Paul Usoro. They asked; why is Usoro being tried in the court and not in the NBA since the allegations borders on his practice? Does this mean that if a member of NURTW drives recklessly and kills a pedestrian, he should be taken to the motor park to face trial and not the court? A rationality test is on.

Until president Buhari suspended the CJN following an order of the CCT. Nobody expected that “Suspension” could have another definition. The PDP cried out that the president had “Removed” the CJN in a bid to “Annex” the judiciary ahead of the February 16 election. The debate started when does “Suspension become Removal”? Is onnoghen a PDP member? Why is the party much more concerned about onnoghen’s matter, as it as been said, when politics enters rule of law, the resultant effect is ruin of law.

The US, UK and the EU also joined the fray expressing their concerns over onnoghe’s suspension but they were quickly reminded by APC National Chairman Adams Oshiomole that “Nigeria is no longer a colony” the presidency also refuted the claims that onnoghen’s  case is being linked with the election saying “It seems more driven by unfounded assumptions”.

formidable and controversial as some of the arguments on the onnoghen matter  may appear to be, it is my humble opinion that the whole controversy generated by the suspension is most unnecessary, and undue adherence to technicality, a mere myth and at best much ado about nothing. Since the suspension I considered necessary to be taken or administrated by the powers that be, the mode of administering it given our peculiar situation at present is of no moment. And as rightly observed by some commentators and even a one time CJN of Nigeria, that the law has been there but we have never had the need to resort to it until now. It is therefore, my humble but firm view that the suspension of the former CJN by the president was very proper, valid, legal and constitutional.

And God Bless Nigeria.

Azeez  Ridwan

Lagos, Nigeria.

For comments and observations, contact 08084332039 or kingdecima10@gmail.com

(1) (Reply)

Please I Would Like To Know Who Is The Hottest Guy On Nairaland / 6 Tips To Recognize The Florist That's Right For You / Lagos BRT Workers To Strike Over Unpaid Salaries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.