Stats: 3,156,334 members, 7,829,848 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 12:36 PM

BRT Lane: Army Officers Fined 25,000 Each - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / BRT Lane: Army Officers Fined 25,000 Each (11208 Views)

Lai Mohammed Enjoys Push-Up Exercise With Army Officers (Photos) / Open Letter To President Jonathan By Army Officers / Picture Of The First Generation Of Nigerian Army Officers (2) (3) (4)

BRT Lane: Army Officers Fined 25,000 Each by gulfer: 7:16am On Jul 25, 2012
The General Officer Commanding, 81 Division, Maj. Gen. Kenneth Minimah, has said Colonel K.I Yusuf and Staff Sergeant Adeomi, who were accosted by Governor Babatunde Fashola for taking the designated Bus Rapid Transit lane on July 17, 2012, will pay the mandatory fine.
The fine for taking BRT lane is N25, 000.

This is just as the Nigerian Army began the court martial of 11 soldiers for various offences in Lagos on Tuesday.

Minimah said at a press briefing that the Nigerian Army was not above the law.
“They passed the BRT lane and it’s a traffic offence and they’ll pay the fine. The fact that he has apologised to the governor does not mean that he won’t face the law. He will pay the fine,” he said.

The GOC seized the opportunity to warn all army personnel to obey the laws of the state and avoid taking the BTR lane.

He said, “They (army personnel) should avoid the BRT lane because they are designated for the BRT buses which are for the good of Lagosians. We all reside in Lagos and we have the responsibility of obeying the laws of the state. If we get it right, it’s for our common good and if we get it wrong, it’s bad for all of us.
“The law was made for Lagosians and we are part of Lagos and the Nigerian Army and the military as a whole are law-abiding and enforcers of the laws, not outlaws. We’ll conform to the laws and obey the law and also aid civil authority in enforcing the laws and we’ll continue to help the state government in this regard.”

Meanwhile, the president of the court martial, Brigadier- General Edward Nze, said the crimes the army personnel were being tried for ranged from alleged murder to financial misappropriation.

Nze said court martial was an instrument used by the Nigerian Army to instil discipline in its men.

“The offences we are handling presently range from murder to misappropriation of funds to being absent without leave. They’ll be charged according to the Armed Forces Act,” he said.
http://www.punchng.com/metro/brt-lane-colonel-sergeant-to-pay-n25000-fine-each/
I ask, why was a Naval officer dismissed and jailed for the same offence in 2010? I remember that particular incident at the Anthony end of the BRT lane, could it be because he assaulted the LASTMA officer?

Re: BRT Lane: Army Officers Fined 25,000 Each by jamace(m): 9:12am On Jul 25, 2012
gulfer: I ask, why was a Naval officer dismissed and jailed for the same offence in 2010? I remember that particular incident at the Anthony end of the BRT lane, could it be because he assaulted the LASTMA officer?

Your guess is as good as mine.
Re: BRT Lane: Army Officers Fined 25,000 Each by ebamma(m): 9:48am On Jul 25, 2012
okay
Re: BRT Lane: Army Officers Fined 25,000 Each by Nobody: 9:53am On Jul 25, 2012
Izzokay! Dem don try.
Re: BRT Lane: Army Officers Fined 25,000 Each by UncleJJ(m): 9:55am On Jul 25, 2012
The military obviously does not tolerate indiscipline.
Re: BRT Lane: Army Officers Fined 25,000 Each by Afam4eva(m): 9:55am On Jul 25, 2012
At least they were punished.
Re: BRT Lane: Army Officers Fined 25,000 Each by julimax(m): 9:55am On Jul 25, 2012
Very good...We need more of this
Re: BRT Lane: Army Officers Fined 25,000 Each by Toktee(m): 9:55am On Jul 25, 2012
Some slowpoke were here insulting and saying all sort of things against fashola,it is annoying how some myopic fellows cannot see beyond their nose,they even said fashola emberass the colnel,so illitrate recruites even wanted to dare lagos state goverment,even in the united state of america the us army obey civil authourity

Re: BRT Lane: Army Officers Fined 25,000 Each by justokey(m): 9:56am On Jul 25, 2012
I think they did the right thing. You can't dismiss a soldier because of traffic offence.

Re: BRT Lane: Army Officers Fined 25,000 Each by Ournaija: 9:58am On Jul 25, 2012
No one is above the law. The law is made for the good of everyone and everyone should obey the law. Whoever disobeys should be punished.
Re: BRT Lane: Army Officers Fined 25,000 Each by Ekans: 10:07am On Jul 25, 2012
Is there something wrong with the colour black?.Why do we love breaking simple rules?.The fine for them should have been higher as uniformed men.

Re: BRT Lane: Army Officers Fined 25,000 Each by xtremeidea(m): 10:08am On Jul 25, 2012
gulfer: I ask, why was a Naval officer dismissed and jailed for the same offence in 2010? I remember that particular incident at the Anthony end of the BRT lane, could it be because he assaulted the LASTMA officer?

Cuz a colonel is involved. you wanna dismiss a colonel?
Re: BRT Lane: Army Officers Fined 25,000 Each by Nobody: 10:09am On Jul 25, 2012

He was dismissed because he was not desciplined. He fought with uniform, head butting, even spoilt superscreen video camera and beat hell out of the reporter despite the fact that he was not the original culprit (fighting for a female coleague) and his cloth was torned. A general saw him which made it complicated for him.
This is how army suppose to act. Though this colonel apologised, but if pardoned without fine, fashola intergrity as a SAN will be questioned. So it is a good judgement on both parties .that money na beer money for colonel.
They know where them dey meet.

Re: BRT Lane: Army Officers Fined 25,000 Each by Nobody: 10:09am On Jul 25, 2012
U wnt2 to dismiss a colonel? D 2 ranks are diff so, its jst padi padi tin. Rank pass Rank.
Re: BRT Lane: Army Officers Fined 25,000 Each by chucky234(m): 10:11am On Jul 25, 2012
N25,000? Is he joking? They will pay the N25,000 smiling,I expecting a fine of N100,000 each as that will make them realised the seriousness of that offence.
Re: BRT Lane: Army Officers Fined 25,000 Each by killuminati(m): 10:11am On Jul 25, 2012
These ahuwas fall my hand sha!
Re: BRT Lane: Army Officers Fined 25,000 Each by shaneroberts26: 10:21am On Jul 25, 2012
Now,whatchy'all 'DUFFERS' dzat was blabbering dze appalling gibberish dzat Fashiola own too much dzat he should hav tampered justice widz mercy instead of disgracin dze officer got to say now?(Wen y'all are lucidly aware dzat none is above dze law). D Command Head don shame all of ya widz dzis bombshell.Its so nice wen listenin to an intelligent mind speak .What a sagacious and pragmatic reply from dze man at dze helm of affairs.Somtimes one gets so 'm-a-a-d' while lisnening to som childish replys from many 'young heads on an old shoulder' on Niaraland.Whatchy'all gotta say now huh?Nitwits.
Re: BRT Lane: Army Officers Fined 25,000 Each by inspirenet: 10:21am On Jul 25, 2012
justokey: I think they did the right thing. You can't dismiss a soldier because of traffic offence.

Re: BRT Lane: Army Officers Fined 25,000 Each by tunapawizzy: 10:22am On Jul 25, 2012
Yawnssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
Re: BRT Lane: Army Officers Fined 25,000 Each by ibrobell(m): 10:27am On Jul 25, 2012
What about those ones fighting in support of the colonel?. They should be fined too.
Re: BRT Lane: Army Officers Fined 25,000 Each by omosexy1: 10:27am On Jul 25, 2012

The Guy is a colonel (a senior military personnel), probably has some many Godfathers and friends. See the Army is a cabal, like a cult (this applies to senior officers oh). Many of them attended the same school (NDA, NMS etc), or same courses aboard, hang out in officer's mess, share the same women and ideas. You think they will want to harm their own? If it was a junior staff, straight off dismissal.
Re: BRT Lane: Army Officers Fined 25,000 Each by tonyx4x44(m): 10:30am On Jul 25, 2012
Toktee: Some slowpoke were here insulting and saying all sort of things against fashola,it is annoying how some myopic fellows cannot see beyond their nose,they even said fashola emberass the colnel,so illitrate recruites even wanted to dare lagos state goverment,even in the united state of america the us army obey civil authourity
Re: BRT Lane: Army Officers Fined 25,000 Each by femmy2010(m): 10:40am On Jul 25, 2012
gulfer: could it be because he assaulted the LASTMA officer?

you answered the question already.
Re: BRT Lane: Army Officers Fined 25,000 Each by femmy2010(m): 10:43am On Jul 25, 2012
chucky234: N25,000? Is he joking? They will pay the N25,000 smiling,I expecting a fine of N100,000 each as that will make them realised the seriousness of that offence.

the army officers in questions are Nigerians like us so it is normal that they be asked to pay a similar fine that you and me would have been asked to pay if we had committed same traffic offense.
Re: BRT Lane: Army Officers Fined 25,000 Each by Nobody: 10:49am On Jul 25, 2012

Re: BRT Lane: Army Officers Fined 25,000 Each by beesawlhar: 10:51am On Jul 25, 2012
25,000 is too small abeg. but its better than just letting them go.smiley
Re: BRT Lane: Army Officers Fined 25,000 Each by seunajia: 10:55am On Jul 25, 2012
shaneroberts26: Now,whatchy'all 'DUFFERS' dzat was blabbering dze appalling gibberish dzat Fashiola own too much dzat he should hav tampered justice widz mercy instead of disgracin dze officer got to say now?(Wen y'all are lucidly aware dzat none is above dze law). D Command Head don shame all of ya widz dzis bombshell.Its so nice wen listenin to an intelligent mind speak .What a sagacious and pragmatic reply from dze man at dze helm of affairs.Somtimes one gets so 'm-a-a-d' while lisnening to som childish replys from many 'young heads on an old shoulder' on Niaraland.Whatchy'all gotta say now huh?Nitwits.

One sure needs special skills to comprehend the gibberish ^^ undecided

Re: BRT Lane: Army Officers Fined 25,000 Each by femmy2010(m): 10:55am On Jul 25, 2012
beesawlhar: 25,000 is too small abeg. but its better than just letting them go.smiley

wouldn't you shout foul if you are fined N100,000 for going against a traffic law?
N25,000 is an okay fine for a documented 1st offender.
Re: BRT Lane: Army Officers Fined 25,000 Each by cheddarking(m): 11:02am On Jul 25, 2012
Only 25k?
shocked shocked

Is that a Fine or a BRT 1st Class Ticket?

The Joke that is Nigeria... embarassed
Re: BRT Lane: Army Officers Fined 25,000 Each by Garb: 11:08am On Jul 25, 2012
The punishment should not exceed fine as you can see through the picture of the Colonel showed on the news paper that the Colonel apologized to the Governor. There is a yoruba adage which says 'if accused accept that he/she is guilty there no need to waste his or her time kneeling down than to award such person a fairly penalty'
Re: BRT Lane: Army Officers Fined 25,000 Each by ayojango(m): 11:10am On Jul 25, 2012
4bobo:

He was dismissed because he was not desciplined. He fought with uniform, head butting, even spoilt superscreen video camera and beat hell out of the reporter despite the fact that he was not the original culprit (fighting for a female coleague) and his cloth was torned. A general saw him which made it complicated for him.
This is how army suppose to act. Though this colonel apologised, but if pardoned without fine, fashola intergrity as a SAN will be questioned. So it is a good judgement on both parties .that money na beer money for colonel.
They know where them dey meet.

Very Correct!!!! In military uniform u dnt even hug let alone fight n b assaulted.d colonel never misbehaved n pix even showed he saluted d gov. He's a RED Neck for xrist sake discipline is key.
Re: BRT Lane: Army Officers Fined 25,000 Each by djmummy: 11:24am On Jul 25, 2012
shaneroberts26: Now,whatchy'all 'DUFFERS' dzat was blabbering dze appalling gibberish dzat Fashiola own too much dzat he should hav tampered justice widz mercy instead of disgracin dze officer got to say now?(Wen y'all are lucidly aware dzat none is above dze law). D Command Head don shame all of ya widz dzis bombshell.Its so nice wen listenin to an intelligent mind speak .What a sagacious and pragmatic reply from dze man at dze helm of affairs.Somtimes one gets so 'm-a-a-d' while lisnening to som childish replys from many 'young heads on an old shoulder' on Niaraland.Whatchy'all gotta say now huh?Nitwits.

Is there something affecting ur fingers dat is making you type like a paraplegic?

Soyinka: Alamieyeseigha’s Pardon, Symbol Of Corrupt Mentality / Obiano Sends List Of Commissioners To House Of Assembly For Screening / NDOKI'S ARE NOT Ijaw---barcasinta And Other Ijaws Mind Yourselves