Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,296 members, 7,808,007 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:39 AM

9jageek's Posts

Nairaland Forum / 9jageek's Profile / 9jageek's Posts

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (of 7 pages)

Entertainment / Re: Emirates Features Nigerian Movies On Board by 9jageek: 3:31pm On Apr 29, 2013
I've been emphasizing this phenomenon in countless articles I have written for many entertainment and technology blogs. Nollywood only needs to invest in quality and originality and they will soon be Nigeria's window to the World, kind of like what Bollywood did for India and the Chinese/Asian culture inspired films from the east. Originality and Quality
I think this is mainly the passion behind projects we are seeing like http://irokotv.com and http://9flix.com
Celebrities / Re: Nollywood Actresses That Once Shave Their Hair (PICTURES) by 9jageek: 11:21am On Apr 24, 2013
ugly skulls
Celebrities / Re: Chika Ike Gets ₦5M To Cut Her Hair In New Movie by 9jageek: 3:10pm On Apr 22, 2013
Wow really? 5 million? how much is she getting for the whole movie role? 50?
Business / Nigerian Internet Businesses That Post Adverts Everywhere May Not Last Very Long by 9jageek: 7:05pm On Apr 13, 2013
As entrepreneurs, the people building some of the most popular Nigerian Internet businesses, may be getting their inspirations from the wrong places. They may be inspired by what they see on the news and what they read on business magazines and blogs. What they tend to not realize is, media mostly only feeds us with the glamorous sides of the startup companies. There are the hard times of building this startups that you may never hear about.

If you have been in the Internet/startup business for quite a while, you probably must have seen companies come, make it big and disappear. Trust me this has a lot to do with the DNA of such companies. It is what separates the Groupons (heavy inventory, huge sales staff, lots of marketing dollars) from the Googles (technology focused, free word of mouth marketing, simple lines of codes worth billions) type companies.

Top Angel investors say there are mainly 2 ways to build a $100 million company, so what are the Nigerian Internet businesses doing?

You can either build a product that grows virally, or one with very high customer life-time value. So before you commit dollars to paid customer leads, make sure you are not over spending on a market that will peak (small number of potential customers) before you get your investors all of their advertising dollars back.

The bad thing with spending a boatload of money to acquire business is that, a smarter and smally copetitor can come up with a better technology and get those same customers you have paid lots of money for, for free. Look at NNairaland, it has more users and pageviews and probably more profits than most these sites and it's mostly word-of-mouth advertisement, social discovery and search engine traffic that keeps this forum growing beyond 1 million users.

If you want to acquire customers for an Internet startup business that you want to be around the corner in the next five years, find naturally viral means of growth or the least possible cost available.

I don't want to point fingers at these Internet businesses on this forum, but on my blog I discussed a bit more about there markets, what they are offering and when you should expect such companies to disappear. You can continue reading here http://naijastartups..com/2013/04/nigerian-startups-advertising.html
Investment / Re: Are Nigerian Stock Market Reports And Earnings Real? by 9jageek: 5:38pm On Apr 11, 2013
NSE or not NSE, most stock markets are controlled to some certain extent by Big Money. By the phrase "Big Money" I mean huge investment houses with billions to invest and Big conglomerates whose earnings or projections can decide the direction in which the stock prices go. And thirdly before I forget, government. Government stability, investor friendly policies and also "f**k ups" affect the rise and fall of stock market valuation.

Big Investment Houses - It doesn't matter if it is the NSE in Naija or the NYSE, Venture capitalist and hedge fund managers sometimes have more power than they should and when they have interest in a stock, they ending up doing anything within their power to make sure the stock price stays up. Look at the recent collapse of the housing market in the USA. Is such a thing happening in the NSE? Of course it is. It happens everywhere, there are FAKE valuations and when the poor (most especially dumb people which also includes the rich) come in and invest half of their savings hoping to cash in on the growth, then the market collpases after the smart ones have sold to the new entrants and those "dumb" new entrants lose all their money.

Big Conglomerates - It has happened so many times in history, Enron, Worldcomm, Pamalat and I'm sure it has been happening in Nigeria only that they don't get caught or may be they get caught and the authorities turn a blind eye. Many Big companies have been caught red-handed changing numbers in their balance sheet and lying about profits and hiding losses. Such companies have FAKE stock valuations and when they get caught, the stock price collapses and sometimes such companies go bankrupt.

So, how do you know if a company could be lying? When the profits continue to grow while market conditions get worse. For example, if the government cuts number and cost of road construction projects by more than half in a year and a company that mainly does road construction government contracts comes out at the end of that year claiming a 40% rise in profits. If you are wise, you won't put your money in the company.

So now, to answer the big question "Are Nigeria Stock Market Reports And Earnings Real?"
My answer is NO, they can't be 100% real and depending on the magnitude of hidden corruption in the stock exchange that we may or may not know about, reports could be from 5% to 30% not real.

Should You Invest in The Nigerian Stock Exchange?
Why not. Just make sure you are smart enough to know what's happening. NEVER NEVER put your money in something you don't understand.

Can You End Up Losing All Your Money In The Nigerian Stock Exchange?
Yes You Can smiley I myself have lost money in the stock game with all the reading I have done. It is a risky business, but you can play safe by looking for undervalued company stocks and investing for the long term. Leave stock flipping to the experts wink

3 Likes

TV/Movies / Re: Bold 5 Babes by 9jageek: 3:26pm On Apr 11, 2013
I watched it. Too bad, a couple of indecent folks are spoiling the business for the decent ones. I couldn't even post the trailer to my TV/Movies site http://9flix.com because that is not what we do angry
Business / 4 Business Lessons From The #myogaatthetop Trend by 9jageek: 12:30am On Mar 15, 2013
I was searching for more pictures of the MyOgaAtTheTop trend when I found this interesting article that looks at the whole event from a business perspective. It is a real eye opener as it identifies profiting ways one can participate in such a viral trend, have fun and still make something out of it.

The article identifies 4 business opportunities or lesson that can be derived from the trend including:

"1. If it is popular, make and sell merchandise fast!

I am really impressed by how fast Nigerian made T-Shirts with the My "Oga At The Top Meme" and began selling them in just less than 2 days from the beginning of the craze. If something is popular, you might as well monetize it.

2. Piggybacking on a trend.

When people are already laughing at something, it is easy to give it a little twist and even get more people laughing. So if you can be imaginative and creatively insert your brand without messing up the flow or the fun, you got yourself some free marketing because people will share as long as your variation of the joke is also funny"

The article further explains who to target when you want to start and profit on a trend and the main factors of how this TV blunder became one of Nigeria's biggest and longest running social media trends.

You can read the detailed article here ---> http://naijastartups..com/2013/03/4-business-lessons-from-myogaatthetop.html
Jokes Etc / Re: Hilarious Photos Of "His Oga At The Top" (NSCDC) by 9jageek: 11:41am On Mar 14, 2013
People even using it for ads

Jokes Etc / The Top Nigerian Video Site Is Www.erhmm That's All by 9jageek: 9:01pm On Mar 13, 2013
This is trending, lmao Naija and her guys at the TOP undecided

Webmasters / Re: Nollywood Is Now Developing Websites For Movies! by 9jageek: 11:30pm On Mar 08, 2013
Nigerian movie website is now "the thing" and almost everyone is doing it.. happy the movie makers are taking things into their own hands before Youtube bans all Nigerians for posting like 500 shocked different copies of every Nollywood movie title to it's servers undecided

The movie makers will make it more organized. The future looks very bright that almost everyone wants in even MTN by investing in and partnering with AfriNolly. Nollywood should take matters into their own hands or at least partner with the bigger players like they have done with IrokoTV and like African TV producers are doing with http://9flix.com (check out the screenshot, I like this site's viewing experience).

Believe it or not, The Web is the future and good for them they've started making there presence felt. smiley

TV/Movies / Re: Nigerian Movie Reviews by 9jageek: 4:50pm On Feb 24, 2013
I think reviewing most Nollywood movies is actually a Difficult thing undecided Truth is, after you have watched most of these movies, in the end you ask yourself, "what's the point?" Some Nollywood story lines are even hard to make sense of after they stretch to parts 2, 3 and even 4.

The script writer or movie maker has to have an aim from which you can rate the movie and see if the goal has been achieved. You can also look at other factors like picture and quality of acting. I think one of the Nigerian movie sites that is trying to do this in an innovative way is http://9flix.com by making a collaborative movie review of small comments on Nollywood films.

The movie makers need to improve if they really want the industry to mature.

TV/Movies / Techloy: 9flix Launches To Let You Watch African TV Shows, Episodes Online by 9jageek: 2:06pm On Feb 15, 2013
A new African video streaming service called 9flix has launched to allow you stream mostly TV shows, episodes and programmes from across Africa but mainly Nigeria for a start. Read the rest of the press release http://techloy.com/2013/02/15/9flix-wants-you-to-watch-more-african-tv-online/

Celebrities / Re: 50 Cent Tweets Nigerian Female Rapper "Can You Do What Pinky (IndecentStar) Can Do?" by 9jageek: 1:53pm On Feb 06, 2013
I think the question here is, if she can do what pinky can do, will he sign her to G-Unit grin wink
Celebrities / Re: AY Co-star In A Movie With Juliet Ibrahim by 9jageek: 12:28pm On Jan 31, 2013
LMAO, I am sure this movie will be extremely funny. Just see the sh*t AY did here as a Nigerian kidnapper. grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTF6lCOWqD4&feature=share&list=UUq8ObOVINBHUu3n9OlalkzA

1 Like

Music/Radio / Re: May D - Gat Me High [VIDEO] by 9jageek: 11:25am On Dec 13, 2012
My GAWWWD! Who is the girl in the beginning of the video? shocked me likey.. I had to embed the video on my site http://9flix.com jut to come back everyday and look at the chick wink kiss
Celebrities / Re: Is Femi Otedola Technically Broke? by 9jageek: 12:54am On Sep 25, 2012
Article makes some sense. Too bad life ain't fair and Nigeria is the most unfair! angry
Celebrities / Re: Toolz Flaunts Curves In Promo Shots For Her Website by 9jageek: 8:25pm On Sep 17, 2012
booty
TV/Movies / Re: Nollywood And Their Foolish Movies by 9jageek: 11:46pm On Aug 28, 2012
Just read these tow pieces! Nuffsaid about Nollywood..
Is Nollywood getting disrupted? http://techloy.com/2012/07/27/how-the-web-and-other-platforms-are-disrupting-the-nollywood-industry/
Nollywood and the sequels http://www.ameyawdebrah.com/nollywood-and-the-sequels-by-aliyu-daku/
Webmasters / Re: Top Twitter Handles In Nigeria. by 9jageek: 3:30pm On Jun 18, 2012
There are brand handles and Individual handles.
For Individuals that are popular :-

@Tweetoracle
@RipFaceboook
@UnilagOlodo
@AfricaMars
@Prodeegy
@Drewbaba
@SirFIZZ
@GossipGirliee
@LaughOrYawn

These are very interesting people you should follow on Twitter to stay ahead of whatever is going on in the Nigerian social media stage.

For political commentary you should follow:-

@rosanwo
@ogundamisi
@elrufai
@ged
@omojuwa
@eggheader

For technology news and discussions:-

@Techloy
@SeunOsewa
@Mukoshy
@EmperorDIV

For Breaking News :-
@Channels_tv
@NigeriaNewsDesk

For Traffic Related News :-
@Gidi_Traffic

Popular brands are:-
@Nairaland
@BellaNaija
@NigerianMusic
@sturvs
@Igbo_Proverbs
@Yoruba_Proverbs

With these handles, Twitter will definitely be fun to check every time.. People should help list more popular handles
Enjoy...

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (of 7 pages)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.