Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,735 members, 7,817,022 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:16 PM

Do De Beers Own Botswana? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Do De Beers Own Botswana? (1023 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do De Beers Own Botswana? by BakariNeferu(m): 4:54am On Jul 28, 2012
I don't usually like to ask these types of questions, but this is something that has been on my mind a lot. In my mind, Botswana is a prime example how an African state should be run, but when I brought the subject up with my Uncle, he said the Botswana is "owned" by De Beers. I didn't pay attention to it at first, but then I came across this blog and some poster said the same thing.

So we should expect to see any black democracy fail, for the obvious reasons. This leaves open the possibility of black non-democracies succeeding. The oft noted exception in black Africa, Botswana, is democratic in form but dominated by De Beers, i.e. you can view it as a corporate state.

This guy was posting on a racist blog site, so I take his opinions about Blacks with no regard, but he still mentions that De Beers "dominates" Botswana. I have the feeling it's just a bunch of uneducated nonsense and that it's not true, but I would like to hear from Africans what the real situation is like.

Here is the the page: http://unamusementpark.com/2011/12/detroit-and-a-short-history-of-black-civilization/
Re: Do De Beers Own Botswana? by BakariNeferu(m): 9:29pm On Jul 30, 2012
Does anyone have any input?
Re: Do De Beers Own Botswana? by PhysicsQED(m): 11:29am On Jul 31, 2012
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Botswana

Don't know much about Botswana. Sorry.

Maybe you should pose this question on a South African forum or - even better - a Botswana forum and follow the discussion that ensues.

Oh yeah and I came across that site a while back. The creator of that site (unamusementpark) and most of those who comment there are just dumbasses.
Re: Do De Beers Own Botswana? by BakariNeferu(m): 6:23am On Aug 01, 2012
PhysicsQED: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Botswana

Don't know much about Botswana. Sorry.

Maybe you should pose this question on a South African forum or - even better - a Botswana forum and follow the discussion that ensues.

Oh yeah and I came across that site a while back. The creator of that site (unamusementpark) and most of those who comment there are just dumbasses.

What article did you come across on that site?

I couldn't find a Botswana forum, but you're right, I didn't even think about a South African one. I'll try to see what I can find. Thanks for the tip.
Re: Do De Beers Own Botswana? by PhysicsQED(m): 7:24am On Aug 01, 2012
Bakari Neferu: What article did you come across on that site?

Some "race and intelligence" article. Mostly a rehash of Jensen's, Rushton's, etc. work. Predictable trash.

(1) (Reply)

IFA & Humanity, Explained By Tony Smith / Nigerian Americans Have A Cultural Edge In America - New Book By Amy Chua / Bizzare!! Unbelievable! Husband And Wife Go To Farm Naked.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.