Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,171 members, 7,829,185 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 09:07 PM

Why Is Tortoise An Unfortunate Animal? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Is Tortoise An Unfortunate Animal? (875 Views)

Nigerians Have Lost It.....! An Unfortunate Turnout Of Events(photos) / The Tortoise And The Snake - A Yoruuba Folk Tale [contrast To America's Tale] / Mbediọgụ: The Controversial Tortoise And Other Folklores (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is Tortoise An Unfortunate Animal? by wumiesontop: 8:30pm On Jul 28, 2012
[b] How I wonder why the folktales we are being told is always centred on the bad things about the tortoise. I have never heard a pleasant story about the poor thing. Please drop your comments.
Re: Why Is Tortoise An Unfortunate Animal? by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:09pm On Jul 28, 2012
In Aesop's ancient fables, the tortoise is shown in good light. slow and steady wins the race. .
Re: Why Is Tortoise An Unfortunate Animal? by ifyalways(f): 9:39pm On Jul 28, 2012
Tortoise unfortunate? Dude you've been an audience to the wrong set of folklores.
The tortoise I've heard of is very wise, crafty and always cheating his way out of any situation. He's the "actor"(hero) in every story and never dies.
Re: Why Is Tortoise An Unfortunate Animal? by ifyalways(f): 9:41pm On Jul 28, 2012
Pagan I think the saying 'slow and steady wins the race' fits the snail better. The worlds slowest animal(stand to be corrected)
Re: Why Is Tortoise An Unfortunate Animal? by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:13am On Jul 29, 2012
ifyalways: Pagan I think the saying 'slow and steady wins the race' fits the snail better. The worlds slowest animal(stand to be corrected)

yes but but in the story about the rabbit and the tortoise, Aesop chose the tortoise and i must say they are quite slow. i used to keep a tortoise at home.
Re: Why Is Tortoise An Unfortunate Animal? by ifyalways(f): 9:30am On Jul 29, 2012
Keep it as a pet?lol but that's strange.
I've had tortoises at different times in my house but as game! 3 days maximum and they'll be killed and resurrected in my pot as pepper soup. What's tortoise meat called, anyone? That thing dey sweet oh, the water tortoise.
Re: Why Is Tortoise An Unfortunate Animal? by Nobody: 12:30pm On Jul 29, 2012
I too have had a tortoise as a pet too...

Tortoise an unfortunate animal? Lol...the tortoise would probably say the same about humans. Humans live a short life span, fraught with all manner of responsibilities - taxes, rules, bills etc. Compared to the tortoise, that can live up to 200 years, without any of the responsibilities that humans have to contend with. wink

1 Like

Re: Why Is Tortoise An Unfortunate Animal? by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:01pm On Jul 29, 2012
Siena: I too have had a tortoise as a pet too...

Tortoise an unfortunate animal? Lol...the tortoise would probably say the same about humans. Humans live a short life span, fraught with all manner of responsibilities - taxes, rules, bills etc. Compared to the tortoise, that can live up to 200 years, without any of the responsibilities that humans have to contend with. wink

well said. cool
Re: Why Is Tortoise An Unfortunate Animal? by Nobody: 11:03pm On Jul 29, 2012
Tortoise --> Wise and Patient
Re: Why Is Tortoise An Unfortunate Animal? by Ptolomeus(m): 10:13pm On Jul 30, 2012
The animal totemIC of Nana Mburuku. Deity originally of the Fon people.
With that already reaches an animal to be privileged.
My respects!

(1) (Reply)

Cheating Man's Manhood 'disappears' After Having Sex With Married Woman / Origin Of Some Everyday Gestures / 12 Shocking Facts About Nigeria!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.