Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,888 members, 7,817,614 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:34 PM

Have You Ever Seen An Hausa-fulani Artisan? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Have You Ever Seen An Hausa-fulani Artisan? (1203 Views)

Beautiful Hausa /fulani Girls ....( Photos) / Opinion: Personalities Of An HAUSA/IGBO/YORUBA Man(the Good And Bad Sides) / Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Have You Ever Seen An Hausa-fulani Artisan? by FSU: 12:52am On Jul 30, 2012
Have you ever seen an Hausa-Fulani Artisan?

I have not seen a:

Carpenter
Mason
Electrician
Vulcanizer
Motor/motocycle mechanic
Bicycle repairer
Radio/TV repairer
Shoe repairer
Battery charger
Not to mention a computer mechanic

of Hausa-Fulani origin?

As against:

Suya seller
Gatemen
Shoe shiner
Crop farmer
Cattle herder
Fetcher of water

Where they predominate?

Is there a correlation between culture and religion and the type of vocation that an average Hausa-Fulani pursues? It seems like trades that have to do with the ''West'' are not appealing to them. Or is it a matter of limits to their innate vocational skill?
Re: Have You Ever Seen An Hausa-fulani Artisan? by tpia5: 5:19am On Jul 30, 2012
rather a silly question, dont you think?
Re: Have You Ever Seen An Hausa-fulani Artisan? by Afam4eva(m): 5:30am On Jul 30, 2012
There are Northern shoemakers.
Re: Have You Ever Seen An Hausa-fulani Artisan? by Nobody: 5:44am On Jul 30, 2012
FSU: Have you ever seen an Hausa-Fulani Artisan?

I have not seen a:

Carpenter
Mason
Electrician
Vulcanizer
Motor/motocycle mechanic
Bicycle repairer
Radio/TV repairer
Shoe repairer
Battery charger

of Hausa-Fulani origin?

As against:

Suya seller
Gatemen
Shoe shiner
Crop farmer
Cattle herder
Fetcher of water

Where they predominate?

Is there a correlation between culture and religion and the type of vocation that an average Hausa-Fulani pursues? It seems like trades that have to do with the ''West'' are not appealing to them. Or is it a matter of limits to their innate vocational skill?

This is not a good thread.
Re: Have You Ever Seen An Hausa-fulani Artisan? by Ilaje44(m): 6:50am On Jul 30, 2012
FSU: Have you ever seen an Hausa-Fulani Artisan?

I have not seen a:

Carpenter
Mason
Electrician
Vulcanizer
Motor/motocycle mechanic
Bicycle repairer
Radio/TV repairer
Shoe repairer
Battery charger

of Hausa-Fulani origin?

As against:

Suya seller
Gatemen
Shoe shiner
Crop farmer
Cattle herder
Fetcher of water

Where they predominate?

Have you been to Hausaland and not seen them repair their honda cars themselves? Or is it your people that help them to build and maintain their houses? I think you should travel to Kano, Bauchi, Sakoto, Daura, Kaura Namoda, Malumfashi etc. to deepen your research.
Re: Have You Ever Seen An Hausa-fulani Artisan? by sammyzacks(m): 7:18am On Jul 30, 2012
There are many of them out there but mostly in the north.
Re: Have You Ever Seen An Hausa-fulani Artisan? by FSU: 3:34pm On Jul 30, 2012
I personally have not seen any of those category of artisans, and I have been to Kano and Jigawa. The ones I saw back then in those places were Igbos, Yoruba, Edo and Middle Belters

I have lived all my 100+ years grin grin grin in the South (SE,SW,SS) and Middle Belt; so am packed with experiences in those places.

This question is pertinent because you see:

Suya sellers
Gatemen
Shoe shiners
Cattle herders
Fetcher of waters

from the North working in the South.

But you do not see (or readily see):

Carpenters
Masons
Electricians
Vulcanizers
Motor/motocycle mechanics
Bicycle repairers
Radio/TV repairers
Shoe repairers (okay may be this one which naturally goes along with shoe shining)
Battery chargers
Not to mention a computer mechanics

Of northern origin working in the south.

How can this be rationalized?
Re: Have You Ever Seen An Hausa-fulani Artisan? by PAGAN9JA(m): 4:55pm On Jul 30, 2012
The ambassador to the Gulf Region is Hausa. United Arab Emirates, i think.
Re: Have You Ever Seen An Hausa-fulani Artisan? by Fulaman198(m): 10:07pm On Oct 28, 2013
What is a Hausa-Fulani?
Re: Have You Ever Seen An Hausa-fulani Artisan? by AndreUweh(m): 1:46am On Oct 29, 2013
Fulaman198: What is a Hausa-Fulani?
Hausa and Fulani people-Hausa-Fulani.
I think there should not be only Hausa-Fulani in Nigeria. There should also be Yoruba-Fulani as found in Ilorin, Igbo-Ijaw as found in Bonny and Opobo, Yoruba-Ijaw as found in Ilaje area.
Re: Have You Ever Seen An Hausa-fulani Artisan? by Fulaman198(m): 1:51am On Oct 29, 2013
Andre Uweh:
I think there should not be only Hausa-Fulani in Nigeria. There should also be Yoruba-Fulani as found in Ilorin, Igbo-Ijaw as found in Bonny and Opobo, Yoruba-Ijaw as found in Ilaje area.

It just does not make sense to me because in Fulani culture you are what your father is. Hausa-Fulani is a political term because no such thing exists. Unless if someone wants to say they are Half Hausa and Half Fulani.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Seen An Hausa-fulani Artisan? by MetaPhysical: 5:25am On Oct 30, 2013
Andre Uweh:

Lol, dude, is your navigator out of calibration?

Yoruba is all there is. wetin be Yoruba-Fulani?

Yoruba does not recognise Ijaw as part of its commonwealth. Ijaw cannot own Ilaje because Ilaje itself is a sub ethnic of Yorubaland. Learn your geography and history of the coastal peoples of both the bight of benin and gulf of guinea. Ijaw belongs in the bight of biafra. They are Igboid.

(1) (Reply)

Willie Lynch Letter Syndrome And Why Black People Will Never Unite / What Is D Cause Of Different Dialects??? / Proudly Fulani Herdsman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.