Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,850 members, 7,817,517 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:37 PM

Lecturers' Job Or White Collar Job..pls Advice. - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Lecturers' Job Or White Collar Job..pls Advice. (2743 Views)

Enugu State University Sacks 153 Lecturers / Salary Scale Of Lecturers In Nigerian Universities / Blue-collar Job In The UK Or White-collar Job In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lecturers' Job Or White Collar Job..pls Advice. by czay(m): 9:55pm On Jul 30, 2012
Hi nairalanders, pls I need your suggestions on this.
I am a first class graduate of mathematics from unilag, and I have just concluded the compulsory NYSC program. I sought for job placement but most of the advice I got from people who I submitted my CV to was for me to continue my academy pursuit in view of becoming a lecturer. Personally, becoming a lecturer was my secondary option of my choice of career but as it stands now am at a crossroad even my dad strongly advice me to continue with my academics. The question now is, which one will be a better option to choose from, been a prospective lecturer or seeking for job and why? Thanks..
Re: Lecturers' Job Or White Collar Job..pls Advice. by Nobody: 10:42pm On Jul 30, 2012
First, you need to ask yourself what you desire to be.
After doing the self test, then pursue the dream.

But as a mathematician myself, I'd advise you to pick up a second degree. It may not be necessarily be in Mathematics. You may choose to diversify. And its easier for you to pick a scholarship since u have a first class.

All the best.

2 Likes

Re: Lecturers' Job Or White Collar Job..pls Advice. by paulokwudiri(m): 11:18pm On Jul 30, 2012
Guy read more and impact on others.U will enjoy and make lots of money too.Most first class guys i know dont work with their first degree.
Re: Lecturers' Job Or White Collar Job..pls Advice. by yemmyma: 2:43pm On Jul 31, 2012
@ Op, there is money out there to make for people like you. Cool money. Why? There is and will always be shortage of mathematicians. My only concern is that staying in Nigeria may hinder those chances.

My advice, go for further studies in one of the world's best institutions and in a good field. While you are at that great school, some professors may be interested in your talent and extend to you a chance for a PhD. After your PhD if you don't want to teach, there is always consulting. It's also called white collar abi?

All the best.

1 Like

Re: Lecturers' Job Or White Collar Job..pls Advice. by chamber2(m): 2:49pm On Jul 31, 2012
Pls contact T22, I believe he will be in a better position to give insights on this.

However, i would suggest you pick a job why planning to further your education. There are many firms, especially research based firms, that will be glad to have you in their team.

My bros, money is not everything as they say but Money is very very important in every body's life. So, i will suggest you go where the money is.
Re: Lecturers' Job Or White Collar Job..pls Advice. by czay(m): 1:00pm On Aug 02, 2012
Thanks all. I have applied for masters degree program in unilag also in my dept because I have strong flair for mathematics in view of becoming a lecturer. Once again thanks y'all
Re: Lecturers' Job Or White Collar Job..pls Advice. by yemmyma: 5:29pm On Aug 02, 2012
c-zay:
Thanks all. I have applied for masters degree program in unilag also in my dept because I have strong flair for mathematics in view of becoming a lecturer. Once again thanks y'all

Why don't you apply for a masters in some countries in the west and continue to PhD. I don't mean to detract your aspiration to become a lecturer but what i am saying is that, there are some schools abroad who are happy to make use of your talent and even pay for it. Imagine you get accepted to Unilag and still paying tuition fee? or else you have a job you do already.

If you want more guidance, you can say and i am sure experienced people will be ready to add more.

2 Likes

Re: Lecturers' Job Or White Collar Job..pls Advice. by xyztus(m): 1:11pm On Aug 08, 2012
Only word for you is only you can determine what you actually want,pursue it vigoriously and pray.the sky will be your starting point.
Re: Lecturers' Job Or White Collar Job..pls Advice. by violent(m): 1:56pm On Aug 08, 2012
. The question now is, which one will be a better option to choose from, been a prospective lecturer or seeking for job and why? Thanks..

which one provides the most satisfaction; Apple Juice or Goat meat?
Re: Lecturers' Job Or White Collar Job..pls Advice. by AjanleKoko: 2:04pm On Aug 08, 2012
I'm getting worried.
First class guys suddenly coming out of the woodwork
Re: Lecturers' Job Or White Collar Job..pls Advice. by sawyer89: 8:37pm On Aug 08, 2012
Bros,You don't need to.some of these guys could be authentic first class students.
Mathematics Dept. in my school for example produces yearly lot of them first class & i guess it's the same in other schools.The question I'm yet to find answer to though is 'is it that easy to make a first class studying Mathematics?'
@OP.Identify your passion;what you love doing and where you'll be glad to be in the next ten years.That should make it easier deciding on your next phase of life.Permit me to say that you'll tend to gain more exposure & experience doing your PG in one of those top schools in the west.Getting a scholarship shouldn't be difficult considering your grade.
Re: Lecturers' Job Or White Collar Job..pls Advice. by AjanleKoko: 10:53am On Aug 09, 2012
sawyer89: Bros,You don't need to.some of these guys could be authentic first class students.
Mathematics Dept. in my school for example produces yearly lot of them first class & i guess it's the same in other schools.The question i'm yet to find answer to though is 'is it that easy to make a first class studying Mathematics?'

Huh?
Which school is that school of yours?
Re: Lecturers' Job Or White Collar Job..pls Advice. by antitpiah: 11:15am On Aug 09, 2012
AjanleKoko: I'm getting worried.
First class guys suddenly coming out of the woodwork

I know. Unlike your type coming out everyday?
Re: Lecturers' Job Or White Collar Job..pls Advice. by AjanleKoko: 11:21am On Aug 09, 2012
antitpiah:

I know. Unlike your type coming out everyday?

Mumu tongue
Re: Lecturers' Job Or White Collar Job..pls Advice. by sawyer89: 11:25am On Aug 09, 2012
AjanleKoko:

Huh?
Which school is that school of yours?
A 2nd generation Uni situated in a Non-Hausa city in the North Central zone whose traditional ruler is addressed as Emir.
Re: Lecturers' Job Or White Collar Job..pls Advice. by AjanleKoko: 11:29am On Aug 09, 2012
sawyer89:
A 2nd generation Uni situated in a Non-Hausa city in the North Central zone whose traditional ruler is addressed as Emir.

ATBU Bauchi, most likely.
In most universities down south, you hardly get a first in mathematics and physics. More likely you get multiple extra sessions grin
Re: Lecturers' Job Or White Collar Job..pls Advice. by Nobody: 1:18pm On Aug 09, 2012
AjanleKoko:

ATBU Bauchi, most likely.
In most universities down south, you hardly get a first in mathematics and physics. More likely you get multiple extra sessions grin

Very true. I have a first degree in Physical science from one of the federal southwest uni and getting a first class in the physical sciences(physics, chemistry, geology/geophysics, math and stats) is extremely difficult. Those that eventually grad with first class are pure genius. It is indeed true that people graduate with multiple extra sessions, most courses are prerequisites to another.

@ Op, much depends on what career path you want to follow, are you motivated by money or imparting knowledge? In the uni where I graduated from, most grads with a first class degree in the physical sciences, engineering and say pharmacy usually prefer academics cos of the thirst for more knowledge, they find the industry boring and limiting them from fully achieving their potential. They are usually driven by their quest for knowledge than money. My wife has a first(4.58/5) in pharmacy but resigned after 7 months at one of the highest paying hospitals in Nigeria to pursue a career in academics.

Also I have a colleague that finished with a 4.8/5 cgpa in statistics, he resigned after 1 year at kpmg. He is done with his MSc in UCL and focused his research on Bayesian analysis - Markov chain Monte Carlo Methods and Applications.

He is now a PhD students with research Interests in Industrial Economics, Game theory, Microeconomics and Real options.

I believe you have made a good choice by choosing the academic path. Try to apply for PhD at a top school in one of the developed countries after your masters. The sky is not even your limit cos now there are footprints on the moon.

1 Like

Re: Lecturers' Job Or White Collar Job..pls Advice. by sawyer89: 1:22pm On Aug 09, 2012
Closer to the south than any northern Uni.Located in the capital of a state which start with 'K'.
Bros,trust me this school is a hard nut to crack when it comes to having good grades (first class precisely) especially for students in engineering faculty!When some faculties are celebrating one first class,Mathematics department will be churning out five to six with bunch of wounded 2nd class upper(guys with 4.something GPA).Hence, my assertion that it is kinda easy for a serious minded student to make a first class studying mathematics!
NB- Bauchi state is part of the North east.
Re: Lecturers' Job Or White Collar Job..pls Advice. by AjanleKoko: 1:27pm On Aug 09, 2012
sawyer89: Closer to south than any northern Uni.Located in the capital of a state which start with 'K'.
Bros,trust me this school is a hard nut to crack when it comes to having good grades (first class precisely) especially for students in engineering faculty!When some faculties are celebrating one first class,Mathematics department will be churning out five to six with bunch of wounded 2nd class upper(guys with 4.something GPA).Hence, my assertion that it is kinda easy for a serious minded student to make a first class studying mathematics!
NB- Bauchi state is part of the North east.

The only state that meets that criteria is Kogi.
Which university is in Kogi?

Or maybe Kwara? Unilorin?
Re: Lecturers' Job Or White Collar Job..pls Advice. by Nobody: 1:33pm On Aug 09, 2012
sawyer89: Bros,You don't need to.some of these guys could be authentic first class students.
Mathematics Dept. in my school for example produces yearly lot of them first class & i guess it's the same in other schools.The question I'm yet to find answer to though is 'is it that easy to make a first class studying Mathematics?'
@OP.Identify your passion;what you love doing and where you'll be glad to be in the next ten years.That should make it easier deciding on your next phase of life.Permit me to say that you'll tend to gain more exposure & experience doing your PG in one of those top schools in the west.Getting a scholarship shouldn't be difficult considering your grade.

The faculties that churns out first class from my uni (named after an elder stateman that appears on one of the naira note) are the social sciences(economics, geography,demography) and administration(accounting).
Re: Lecturers' Job Or White Collar Job..pls Advice. by sawyer89: 1:45pm On Aug 09, 2012
AjanleKoko:

The only state that meets that criteria is Kogi.
Which university is in Kogi?

Or maybe Kwara? Unilorin?
saxywale:

The faculties that churns out first class from my uni (named after an elder stateman that appears on one of the naira note) are the social sciences(economics, geography,demography) and administration(accounting).
Hmmm..Then probably class of degree of students are determined by lecturers in their departments and how serious they are.Geography and Economics departments rarely produce first class in my school!
Re: Lecturers' Job Or White Collar Job..pls Advice. by antitpiah: 1:54pm On Aug 09, 2012
saxywale:

OAU baby!

Jarus, first class economics, class of 2006!
Re: Lecturers' Job Or White Collar Job..pls Advice. by Nobody: 2:32pm On Aug 09, 2012
antitpiah:

OAU baby!

Jarus, first class economics, class of 2006!

Yes OAU.

sawyer89:

Hmmm..Then probably class of degree of students are determined by lecturers in their departments and how serious they are.Geography and Economics departments rarely produce first class in my school!

That could be right. In that same faculty of administration, its very rare to find a first class graduate in international relations. Whereas, there are lots of first in accounting. In my set, colleagues that studied Computer science with Economics graduated with higher grades than colleagues that studied Computer science with Maths. Infact the economics courses from the faculty of social sciences were GPA boosters for computer science/eco students. I don't know if that's still the case.
Re: Lecturers' Job Or White Collar Job..pls Advice. by SBabaJ(m): 7:30am On Sep 12, 2012
sawyer89:

University Of Ilorin? It's The Same There. Pretty Difficult In Economics. And Dept. Of Geography Is Yet To Produce One. Dept. Of Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science, Microbiology & Accounting Are Perennial Producers.
Re: Lecturers' Job Or White Collar Job..pls Advice. by SBabaJ(m): 7:32am On Sep 12, 2012
madambini: First, you need to ask yourself what you desire to be.
After doing the self test, then pursue the dream.

But as a mathematician myself, I'd advise you to pick up a second degree. It may not be necessarily be in Mathematics. You may choose to diversify. And its easier for you to pick a scholarship since u have a first class.

All the best.
Spot On!

(1) (Reply)

How To Produce Liquid Soaps And Antiseptics / How Do I Discover My Talent? / 180 Degrees Seminar With Gbenga Sesan And Adeolu Akinyemi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.