Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,466 members, 7,958,407 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 01:57 PM

Strange Selling Of Toyota Camry 2007/2008 Cars - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Strange Selling Of Toyota Camry 2007/2008 Cars (31266 Views)

Strange Car Seen On Badagry, Lagos Road This Morning (photos) / Strange Car Spotted At Ikotun, Lagos Yesterday(pics) / What Is The Difference Between The Le,xle,se And S Versions Of Toyota Cars (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Strange Selling Of Toyota Camry 2007/2008 Cars by calculusx(m): 8:59pm On Aug 05, 2012
prince_onx:
I bought that same Camry as salvage ( fender, bumper, & door replaced)with less than 20k miles, fixed and inspected it and have traveled half the US with it with no single problem! Most of you dont even do oil change after 3000 miles yet you want you car to last forever!

Thank you prince. Most drivers are ignorant and doesn't know much about their cars, let alone how to maintain their cars. Maintenance really matters and most people prefer patronizing {baba kafaya} a road side mechanic rather than a certified automobile shop. Its exactly a year i Sold my 08 Camry https://www.nairaland.com/736759/registered-2008-toyota-camry-le and I'm still missing my lovely Camry. If im opportune to buy another one, i will buy it over and over again. A recent view of the Car after 11months.

As for the shock absorber{suspension}, how many of us know its advisable to change both suspension rather than change 1. As for me, nothing is wrong with 07/08 Camry. Pls patronize a Certified Toyota Automobile Shop.

Re: Strange Selling Of Toyota Camry 2007/2008 Cars by abiamahart: 9:09pm On Aug 05, 2012
Unless these models where recalled by the manufacturer to fix issues like stuck gas pedals, faulty brakes, failed air suspension or cracks been noticed in the engine then the ride is ok.

also if you review the highest count of dealer returns it may give a fair idea of the faults peciliar to the rides.
Re: Strange Selling Of Toyota Camry 2007/2008 Cars by Caseless: 9:27pm On Aug 05, 2012
Wat camry are u people talking about, MOSSLE? I pray its not. u'r al not serious! Even thou they change d name 2 BOKO HARAM i go stil buy am.

3 Likes

Re: Strange Selling Of Toyota Camry 2007/2008 Cars by babestella: 9:34pm On Aug 05, 2012
The cost of maintaining a car in the US with original parts are far cheaper compared to maintaining the same model and brand of car in Nigeria. In Nigeria a car part that is sold for $45 which is around 8,000 naira will be sold to you at about 22,000 naira even with fake parts
Re: Strange Selling Of Toyota Camry 2007/2008 Cars by poshqueen(f): 9:38pm On Aug 05, 2012
My baby lexus for life

2 Likes

Re: Strange Selling Of Toyota Camry 2007/2008 Cars by wizzle86: 10:01pm On Aug 05, 2012
nakedall: Most of the cars for common man are good to drive for 4-5 years without issue after that you will be wasting your time with mechanic but if you know how to fix it then you can drive it for 20 years which is an indication that life rough for you.
...lols
Re: Strange Selling Of Toyota Camry 2007/2008 Cars by Afodot0022(m): 10:02pm On Aug 05, 2012
yeah i love that poshqueen
Re: Strange Selling Of Toyota Camry 2007/2008 Cars by clemmonce(m): 10:27pm On Aug 05, 2012
mr poster stop generalising issues next time you say people around you or people around people you know. alot of peeps are still using their toyota car without having intension of selling it
Re: Strange Selling Of Toyota Camry 2007/2008 Cars by Nobody: 10:32pm On Aug 05, 2012
Every make of cars have their particular bugs, but we still buy them. I'm not a Japmobile fan, but I'll say Toyota still has one of the best reliability records - take a look at the JD Power survey, and see what satisfied owners are saying about their cars.

No car lasts forever. And looking at the Nigerian maintenance culture, it's not difficult to see why cars shipped from the UK, US, Canada etc in perfectly good shape, suddenly become money pits when they land in Nigeria. Poor maintenance, (or none at all) roadside "mechanics" who don't know one end of a spanner from the other, who shouldn't have any business wielding a hammer anywhere near an automobile. You get what you pay for. A roadside "destroyer" can reduce a perfectly good car to a pile of rubble in a very short time.

Suspension dampers, springs, ball joints, lower arms / wishbones, drive shafts etc are all subject to wear and tear, and are no reason to reject a car, or form an opinion with regards to reliability. Suspension dampers and springs have a service life, measured in X amount of compression and rebound, think of Nigeria's bad roads, and you'll understand why these items are changed quite often. Low ground clearance (I saw that mentioned somewhere in this thread) is NOT a fault either.

As I stated earlier, I'm no Japmobile fan, and the Camry does nothing to stir my soul, or arouse the enthusiast in me. It may have its flaws, it may be bland etc. But it still remains a popular choice amongst Nigerians.

@: Queen: Nice Lexus, but I reckon Audi make better, more exciting cars. wink
Re: Strange Selling Of Toyota Camry 2007/2008 Cars by bfire(m): 11:28pm On Aug 05, 2012
There are many factors that contribute to the surge in sales of used 07/08 Camry.

Many of this model was bought by companies and most sell it off after the Estimated Useful Life ( usually 5yrs )

Also recall that this model was purchased for some politicians some few years back, probably they are selling it off.

In my opinion, there's not much to worry about compared to other make/model.
Re: Strange Selling Of Toyota Camry 2007/2008 Cars by Pakavy(m): 11:34pm On Aug 05, 2012
poshqueen: My baby lexus for life
d car no move me lyk d owner joor.

1 Like

Re: Strange Selling Of Toyota Camry 2007/2008 Cars by elite(m): 11:37pm On Aug 05, 2012
Siena: Every make of cars have their particular bugs, but we still buy them. I'm not a Japmobile fan, but I'll say Toyota still has one of the best reliability records - take a look at the JD Power survey, and see what satisfied owners are saying about their cars.

No car lasts forever. And looking at the Nigerian maintenance culture, it's not difficult to see why cars shipped from the UK, US, Canada etc in perfectly good shape, suddenly become money pits when they land in Nigeria. Poor maintenance, (or none at all) roadside "mechanics" who don't know one end of a spanner from the other, who shouldn't have any business wielding a hammer anywhere near an automobile. You get what you pay for. A roadside "destroyer" can reduce a perfectly good car to a pile of rubble in a very short time.

Suspension dampers, springs, ball joints, lower arms / wishbones, drive shafts etc are all subject to wear and tear, and are no reason to reject a car, or form an opinion with regards to reliability. Suspension dampers and springs have a service life, measured in X amount of compression and rebound, think of Nigeria's bad roads, and you'll understand why these items are changed quite often. Low ground clearance (I saw that mentioned somewhere in this thread) is NOT a fault either.

As I stated earlier, I'm no Japmobile fan, and the Camry does nothing to stir my soul, or arouse the enthusiast in me. It may have its flaws, it may be bland etc. But it still remains a popular choice amongst Nigerians.

@: Queen: Nice Lexus, but I reckon Audi make better, more exciting cars. wink
Hhmmm Mr Sienna, ur infatuation with audi is gettin out of hand... grin
Re: Strange Selling Of Toyota Camry 2007/2008 Cars by lukkie(m): 11:51pm On Aug 05, 2012
That car is very fragile. Toyota went too far with that one. And the bumpers are too weak for its size esp in this crazy Lagos. When you "bash" it once or twice, it looks like one big tuber of yam.
Re: Strange Selling Of Toyota Camry 2007/2008 Cars by Jarus(m): 11:54pm On Aug 05, 2012
That car is great. If someone had told me I won't be driving it currently, I would have said it's impossible. When I wanted to change my Honda Accord EOD, all I had in mind was switching to Camry 07/08. I just love that car, but one thing led to the other and I found myself settling for a Toyoyta 4runner 05 as replacement. I still like Camry.
Re: Strange Selling Of Toyota Camry 2007/2008 Cars by princeonx: 12:53am On Aug 06, 2012
lukkie: That car is very fragile. Toyota went too far with that one. And the bumpers are too weak for its size esp in this crazy Lagos. When you "bash" it once or twice, it looks like one big tuber of yam.
What do you mean by "Toyota went too far"? Which car is not "fragile" if I may quote you? I dont know of any plastic bumpers that will look supper pretty after few bashing! Even cars with brush guard (iron protectors) and metal bumpers get bashed too in Lagos. Nigerians are said to be among the most educated people in the world but sometimes am filed with doubt on how true that is when I hear us talk!
We easily condeme good brands and cars and jump from one car to the other like dumb people! Today it's Honda end of discussion, everybody including those that land rover can't get Into their streets will buy one! Tomorrow it's Honda Watin you talk, everybody including someone that sell cement that should be driving a heavy duty pickup will join too and buy one! After or even less than two years the car has gone to hell and back with service only when the owner plan to visit villa! everybody want to sell them and all this group will jump on another car (maybe Nissan pathfinder this time) and bum everybody including families of ten will buy it!
Folks our biggest problem are not this cars! And there are no such thing as "good for Nigerian roads"! We don't have roads! Even catapilar will die on our so called roads. What we need is good roads and genuine spare parts even if it's china! There are different qualities of China products that last and we also use them here in America. Second is maintenance! don't wait till November ending or early December to service your car because you wan go villa for Xmas! Change your oil when it's due for change! Most parts in your car has due periods of changing even if it's still good or work. Change suspension arms when it's recommended to change especially if you drive on naija road, change timing chain or belt when recommended to change! Same with oil, plugs, shocks, pad, etc! How many of you has ever serviced or flushed your transmission fluid?
Don't just sit and drive your belt way pass when due and when everybody's belt start breaking down all of you will call that car one bad name and run to the next brand and do the same thing! Abuse it!

2 Likes

Re: Strange Selling Of Toyota Camry 2007/2008 Cars by CHIMSKY(m): 2:08am On Aug 06, 2012
Jarus: That car is great. If someone had told me I won't be driving it currently, I would have said it's impossible. When I wanted to change my Honda Accord EOD, all I had in mind was switching to Camry 07/08. I just love that car, but one thing led to the other and I found myself settling for a Toyoyta 4runner 05 as replacement. I still like Camry.
So what has it been like driving the 4runner.I am coinsidering accquiring one myself.
Re: Strange Selling Of Toyota Camry 2007/2008 Cars by tampa1871: 2:52am On Aug 06, 2012
Dreyl: [color=#006600][/color]Even me i sold mine couples of wks ago,i no longer value it i just need chrysler sebring

[b]HOW ON EARTH WOULD YOU SELL TOYOTA CAMRY TO BUY CHRYSLER SEBRING?, THEY ARE JUST INCOMPARABLE AND NEVER IN THESAME CLASS. PLEASE I BEG YOU, DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY, CONSIDER ANY OTHER BRAND
Re: Strange Selling Of Toyota Camry 2007/2008 Cars by princeonx: 3:56am On Aug 06, 2012
tampa1871:

[b]HOW ON EARTH WOULD YOU SELL TOYOTA CAMRY TO BUY CHRYSLER SEBRING?, THEY ARE JUST INCOMPARABLE AND NEVER IN THESAME CLASS. PLEASE I BEG YOU, DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY, CONSIDER ANY OTHER BRAND
Are you seriously saying you believed him? Moving from duplex to face me I face you is not up grading so telling me he doesn't VALUE an 08 Camry any more but sold it and have plan of buying a sebring make me wonder if he will even recognize an 08 Camry if he see a picture of it!
Re: Strange Selling Of Toyota Camry 2007/2008 Cars by eaglechild: 4:45am On Aug 06, 2012
2 greatest car enemies in naija are
BAD ROADS and CLUELESS ROADSIDE MECHANICS the second option will kill ur car very fast no matter how careful u are so avoid them at all cost.

Naturally the newer model cars tend to be more complex for these quacks who are more comfortable with older models following years of trial and error and ruining other ppls cars, so u often see them advising u to stick to the 99s and 01s which is ridiculous!
Generally when a new model of a car is released most pple who can afford it rush to upgrade, that may just be the reason why there is a lot of camrys for sale.

It could also be that Nigerians are beginning to get over their irritating fixation on camry.
Personally anything from 07 just give me an altima(nissan) at least i would be the one driving not the car driving me.
Re: Strange Selling Of Toyota Camry 2007/2008 Cars by Jarus(m): 5:29am On Aug 06, 2012
CHIMSKY:
So what has it been like driving the 4runner.I am coinsidering accquiring one myself.
It's a powerful machine.
Re: Strange Selling Of Toyota Camry 2007/2008 Cars by proudlyafrican(m): 9:58am On Aug 06, 2012
@OP There is nothing wrong with Toyota Camry 2007,i bought it over 5 months ago and it has not given me any headache.What is most important is your maintenace culture as indicated on the manufactures manual and you really have to avoid bad roads and road side mechannis...I call it my Muscle because it`s a powerful machine with uimaginable speed.
Re: Strange Selling Of Toyota Camry 2007/2008 Cars by coolguyz(m): 9:59am On Aug 06, 2012
Reasons for sale -

1. Its a fast moving vehicle - ask motor dealers (even the road side hustler car sellers) how many camry 2007-2011 they have sold. inspired may help yu out on that.

2. It acquired a status level in major companies thus it flooded the market (official cars. . .rentals e.t.c) and surely a time would come for them to be sold off

3. Good re-sale value in Nigeria. most peeps bought the car (tokunbo) for N2.7m to N3.1m and after 4 years (well maintained) are still being offered around N1.7m - N2m for the cars. . . .good deal. only few cars used in naija have that re-sale value ratio to cost however well maintained.

As someone said earlier. . . .how you maintain the car matters, almost every car you google on has a complaints history that'l always give you a second thought bout buying them.
Re: Strange Selling Of Toyota Camry 2007/2008 Cars by proudlyafrican(m): 10:02am On Aug 06, 2012
@OP There is nothing wrong with Toyota Camry 2007,i bought it over 5 months ago and it has not given me any headache.What is most important is your maintenace culture as indicated on the manufactures manual and you really have to avoid bad roads and road side mechannis...I call it my Muscle because it`s a powerful machine with unimaginable speed.

Re: Strange Selling Of Toyota Camry 2007/2008 Cars by lukkie(m): 10:26am On Aug 06, 2012
prince_onx:
What do you mean by "Toyota went too far"? Which car is not "fragile" if I may quote you? I dont know of any plastic bumpers that will look supper pretty after few bashing! Even cars with brush guard (iron protectors) and metal bumpers get bashed too in Lagos. Nigerians are said to be among the most educated people in the world but sometimes am filed with doubt on how true that is when I hear us talk!
We easily condeme good brands and cars and jump from one car to the other like dumb people! Today it's Honda end of discussion, everybody including those that land rover can't get Into their streets will buy one! Tomorrow it's Honda Watin you talk, everybody including someone that sell cement that should be driving a heavy duty pickup will join too and buy one! After or even less than two years the car has gone to hell and back with service only when the owner plan to visit villa! everybody want to sell them and all this group will jump on another car (maybe Nissan pathfinder this time) and bum everybody including families of ten will buy it!
Folks our biggest problem are not this cars! And there are no such thing as "good for Nigerian roads"! We don't have roads! Even catapilar will die on our so called roads. What we need is good roads and genuine spare parts even if it's china! There are different qualities of China products that last and we also use them here in America. Second is maintenance! don't wait till November ending or early December to service your car because you wan go villa for Xmas! Change your oil when it's due for change! Most parts in your car has due periods of changing even if it's still good or work. Change suspension arms when it's recommended to change especially if you drive on naija road, change timing chain or belt when recommended to change! Same with oil, plugs, shocks, pad, etc! How many of you has ever serviced or flushed your transmission fluid?
Don't just sit and drive your belt way pass when due and when everybody's belt start breaking down all of you will call that car one bad name and run to the next brand and do the same thing! Abuse it!
You can make your point without insulting people.

And anybody who buys a N3m car and gives it to under-tree mechanic has himself to blame if anything happens to it.

Different people sell their cars for different reasons. But a lot of people got carried away by the Camry's good looks and later realised that it can't take the pounding they subject it to. Go to Ajah and see the car in different stages of dilapidation.

I'll take the pencil/fish light Camry 10 times before taking the muscle.
Re: Strange Selling Of Toyota Camry 2007/2008 Cars by FindOut(m): 10:52am On Aug 06, 2012
coolguyz: Reasons for sale -

1. Its a fast moving vehicle - ask motor dealers (even the road side hustler car sellers) how many camry 2007-2011 they have sold. inspired may help yu out on that.

2. It acquired a status level in major companies thus it flooded the market (official cars. . .rentals e.t.c) and surely a time would come for them to be sold off

3. Good re-sale value in Nigeria. most peeps bought the car (tokunbo) for N2.7m to N3.1m and after 4 years (well maintained) are still being offered around N1.7m - N2m for the cars. . . .good deal. only few cars used in naija have that re-sale value ratio to cost however well maintained.

As someone said earlier. . . .how you maintain the car matters, almost every car you google on has a complaints history that'l always give you a second thought bout buying them.

I'm in completer agreement especially with the last sentence. Almost all cars have issues if ypu google them up. Some are just more serious than others.
Re: Strange Selling Of Toyota Camry 2007/2008 Cars by proudlyafrican(m): 11:17am On Aug 06, 2012
lukkie:
You can make your point without insulting people.

And anybody who buys a N3m car and gives it to under-tree mechanic has himself to blame if anything happens to it.

Different people sell their cars for different reasons. But a lot of people got carried away by the Camry's good looks and later realised that it can't take the pounding they subject it to. Go to Ajah and see the car in different stages of dilapidation.

I'll take the pencil/fish light Camry 10 times before taking the muscle.

Bro,i will agree with you that the car is quite fragile i.e 2007 Toyota Camry. I also have the big light Toyota Camry 2000 Model,it`s meant for my rugged movement which the 2007 cannot withstand especailly our bad roads ...I love cars and buys them for different reasons and they all have occassions they suit.
Re: Strange Selling Of Toyota Camry 2007/2008 Cars by Nanecs: 11:44am On Aug 06, 2012
Toyota Camry's still remain the best coming out from Toyota in recent years. For those promoting Accord 08 (Evil spirit) and other cars, before you take that step, take a look at this link;

http://www.carcomplaints.com/top_vehicles/
Re: Strange Selling Of Toyota Camry 2007/2008 Cars by xhero: 12:06pm On Aug 06, 2012
Abeg there is no car witout issues...its all abt maintenance

2 Likes

Re: Strange Selling Of Toyota Camry 2007/2008 Cars by shellworker: 12:27pm On Aug 06, 2012
Not only have I noticed a massive sale of TOYOTA CAMRY 2007/2008, same thing also applies to HONDA ACCORD (EVIL SPIRIT)2007/2008 model.
I have seen many Clean grade Honda Evill spirit cars displayed for sale at very good prices and I began to wonder what could be wrong
with those cars. Fellow Nairalanders, please enquire on what I just said.[color=#000099][/color]
Re: Strange Selling Of Toyota Camry 2007/2008 Cars by megxo(m): 1:07pm On Aug 06, 2012
abegi, make we hia word..... dont use ones low maintenance quality 2 judge anoda....... dat camry is on point jor, ALL oF y'all sayin its lyk pure wateR cant afford it (if u no lyk cheap,y nt go for a BUgatti veyron)angry ....... FAKE ARSE PPO FULL DIS NAIRALAND JOR angry
Re: Strange Selling Of Toyota Camry 2007/2008 Cars by Nobody: 1:21pm On Aug 06, 2012
Guy,...Toyotas r simply average cars. If in yor estimation u call Toyotas gud cars,pls wat wud u call a M/Benz or BMW wen u compare them year-for-year wit any Toyota? Does a Camry 2008 cum any where close to a M/Benz C-Class or E-Class (200,240,280,320, or 350) 2006-2008?
Toyotas r just affordable (u need not break d banks to own a brand new Toyota ),....whereas it different wit a Benz. The only tin Toyota sells is affordability!!!

prince_onx: Is there even any part or state in Nigeria that is up to 1000 miles away from another state? People rent this cars on daily bases and travel all over America! NY to LA is over 2000 miles drive (3 days) and you won't even blink driving a Camry there! Am not a Toyota dealer or rep but Toyotas are good cars period!
Re: Strange Selling Of Toyota Camry 2007/2008 Cars by TheMatrix3: 1:21pm On Aug 06, 2012
poshqueen: My baby lexus for life

In her profile she sits as a passenger and snaps herself (wonder y girls always do that),
Now she gives the finger in a pose with a car she calls her own...smh for some people o!
Back to the topic, as someone has said, The Toyota spyder has very good second hand value that's y its been sold by most upgraders period.
Next topic plssss

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Radiator Fan Constantly Running (even When Engine Is Off) / 2019 Lexus ES Unveiled (photos, Details And Price) / Bus Hits & Kills Some Cows In Delta State (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.