Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,700 members, 7,831,181 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 02:59 PM

Road Accidents! Government Dey Use Tokunbo Tyres For Naija?: Na Wa O - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Road Accidents! Government Dey Use Tokunbo Tyres For Naija?: Na Wa O (972 Views)

Photos: Transport Ideas That Can Reduce Traffic/Accidents In Lagos. / Pilot Makes Emergency Landing In Sokoto As Tyres Exploded After Take-off / Why Cant They Jst Make D Plane Wit D Same Material Dey Use To Make D Blackbox??? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Road Accidents! Government Dey Use Tokunbo Tyres For Naija?: Na Wa O by kidonig: 5:27pm On Dec 17, 2007
Hi guys, I keep up pace with happenings in Nigeria by reading the Papers online. It is really a thing of shame to hear about the the kind of things that happens in Nigerian Roads. Pls lets discuss this and how we can make it better especially now that many people wiil be travelling for the festivities back home in Nigeria.

I was inspired to start this thread by the story in The Vanguard of today:

http://www.vanguardngr.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3127&Itemid=0

It even happens to the government officials, How can their tyre burst all of a sudden abi government dey use Tokunbo tyres too?

Pls feel free to contribute,
Re: Road Accidents! Government Dey Use Tokunbo Tyres For Naija?: Na Wa O by funkybaby(f): 5:44pm On Dec 17, 2007
I think it is really wrong and very ridiculous that individuals just come up with unconfirmed conclusion on issues. Who told you the tyre was tokunbo?? Where's your source?? Any car owner will know that any car tyre can burst on motion for different issues. The tyre might have been purchased brand new but it was probably long over due for a change. It is also possible that during routine car check or maintenance that the tyre was over-inflated more than the recommended pressure level (some vulcanizers are very fond of this) or maybe the tyre got punctuated by a sharp object on the road. Get your facts rights rather than coming here to post what you are not sure about!!
Re: Road Accidents! Government Dey Use Tokunbo Tyres For Naija?: Na Wa O by kidonig: 6:58pm On Dec 17, 2007
Funkybaby, I don't mean to turn this thread to a mud-slinging one. The aim is not to castigate the Nigerian Government but to bring up the issue of recklessness on the roads for discussion so that everybody will gain from it and become cautious. You don't hear of tyres bursting on the high way that often here in the UK or any other developed country (that is not to bring my dear Naija down) because the MOT (outfit that ensures that your car is road-worthy for the year) will not even allow you to take the car to the road if they get a hint of how old the tyres or (indeed any other part of the car) are. Again, if you noticed, the tread was a Question, which means that the poster (me) is not sure of the cause and it is a well know fact that in most cases of sudden burst tyres on the highway, the cause is often due to (not exclusively) old wornout tyres.

Another thing is that everyone knows how roughly government officials drive around. You seldom know when the Prime Minister here passes you by let alone the head of a Political party or even a Member of Parliarment. So this is possibly a cause.

So pls, this tread is meant to educate and not to turn to a mud-slinging one,

Thanks for your reply anyway.

(1) (Reply)

Amnesty International Indictes Nigeria For Its Human Rights Record / The Best Place To Visit For Christmas / Dv Lottery Form Missing During Posting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.