Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,852 members, 7,956,193 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 07:28 AM

Are These Olympic Athletes Using Drugs Except Nigerians? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Are These Olympic Athletes Using Drugs Except Nigerians? (831 Views)

Auditions To Raise Olympic Athletes Outta Naija Goes To Benin With Top Sprinter / Olympic Games Qualifier :Equatorial Guinea 2 Vs Nigeria 1 (Full time) / Seven Cameroon Olympic Athletes Have Gone AWOL (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are These Olympic Athletes Using Drugs Except Nigerians? by Rossikk(m): 11:08pm On Aug 08, 2012
Are These Olympic Athletes Using Drugs Except Nigerians?

It's mysterious how these guys and girls all seem to be outrunning their Nigerian counterparts at every race. Are they on drugs?? Is there a conspiracy of silence by the IOC to protect certain nations' athletes (due to lucrative betting syndicates and schemes)?

Are the Nigerian athletes scared of using the same drugs because they KNOW they will be tested if they win?

Are the Jamaicans and Americans using the drugs because they know they will NOT be tested if they win?
Re: Are These Olympic Athletes Using Drugs Except Nigerians? by semid4lyfe(m): 12:05am On Aug 09, 2012
Rossikk, I like you, really I do cos you're intelligent and pro-Nigeria like me but this your post I no sabi shocked

Me thinks it's not drugs but witchcraft. . . .as in athletes from other countries don't have wizards and witches tying down their legs & hands grin

On a serious note, read the story below cos it seems to me you've taken your patriotic fervor too far

LONDON 2012: ALL MEDALISTS TO BE DRUG TESTED AT THE OLYMPICS

London 2012 will see the biggest anti-doping operation in the history of the Olympic Games.

Half of all the competitors are to be tested for drugs, with 150 scientists set to take 6,000 samples between now and the end of the Paralympic Games.

Every competitor who wins a medal will also be tested.

Team GB's Phillips Idowu, Beth Tweddle, David Weir, Graham Edmunds and Marlon Devonish are fronting a campaign highlighting the anti-doping programme.

Sprinter Devonish won an Olympic gold in the 4x100m relay at the 2004 Athens Games.

He said: "Winning an Olympic medal is the best feeling in the world and as an athlete it's so important to know that anyone who stands on the podium has got there through their own hard work and dedication, not by doping."

Team GB sprinter Dwain Chambers and cyclist David Millar will compete in London after the British Olympic Association's policy of punishing drug cheats with lifetime bans was overturned by the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

More than 1,000 people will staff the anti-doping laboratory, with up to 400 samples tested every day for more than 240 prohibited substances.

Double gold medal-winning Paralympic swimmer Edmunds was part of the winning 4x100m freestyle relay teams in Athens and Beijing.

"Winning medals is like an addiction," he said. "Once you have one, you want another.

"It's my biggest motivation. And knowing you've reached the podium because of all the hard work you've put in - nine sessions a week, two hours each session, three gym sessions a week for four years - is the greatest feeling.

"I'm confident that everything possible is being done to catch drug cheats at London 2012 and that makes these Games really special."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/18849517
Re: Are These Olympic Athletes Using Drugs Except Nigerians? by semid4lyfe(m): 1:18am On Aug 09, 2012
Hi-tech tests to catch Olympics drug cheats at London 2012
By Matthew Knight, CNN
July 31, 2012 -- Updated 1059 GMT (1859 HKT)

(CNN) -- More than 6,250 samples of blood and urine will be tested during both the Olympics and Paralympics -- four years ago in Beijing that figure was around 4,500 -- with around 150 scientists on duty around the clock.

For the first time in Olympics history, a private sponsor -- pharmaceutical giant GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) -- will be aiding the effort, providing the facilities for the scientists to carry out their work.

The $30 million state-of-the-art laboratory in Harlow, Essex is a short distance from the Olympic Park in east London and is fully accredited by the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA).

"I think it's a significant involvement," WADA's director general David Howman told CNN.

"The laboratory will have everything it could possibly need in terms of equipment. If athletes go to London, they know if they are cheating they are likely to be caught."

Professor David Cowan, director of King's College London's Drug Control Center and chief scientist for the Games, is delighted that GSK is helping out.

"These laboratories are the most high-tech labs in the history of the Games, analyzing more samples than ever before," Cowan said.

With GSK's support, Cowan and his colleagues have been able to develop "super-fast, super-sensitive technologies" capable of detecting prohibited substances.

"Across the range of instrument in the lab, we reckon we can pick up things you haven't even thought of," Cowan said.

"I think we'll soon be away from the days where designer drugs beat the analyst. I'm hoping this will be the Games that actually prove that."

Howman says the list of banned substances runs to 10-15 pages, with hundreds of drugs currently prohibited.

The fight continues and the sophistication continues on both sides. You find that athletes and those that advise athletes are more sophisticated in what they do than they were 10 years ago," he said.

But he says the London 2012 program is "very, very good," reiterating that drug-takers will be found out. I don't think Ben Johnson would even get to London nowadays -- I think he would be picked up in advance, and many athletes now who think they can get there will be swept away by pre-Games testing," Howman said.

"There were 80-90 athletes who didn't go to Beijing because of pre-testing and I presume that the same sort of number might arise this time around.

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/04/12/sport/drugs-london-2012-olympics-laboratory/index.html
Re: Are These Olympic Athletes Using Drugs Except Nigerians? by StarrMatthieu: 8:05am On Aug 09, 2012
LOL
Re: Are These Olympic Athletes Using Drugs Except Nigerians? by Nobody: 9:04am On Aug 09, 2012

(1) (Reply)

Ten Reasons Why Ghana Will/must Win Afcon 2013 / BBC African Footballer Of The Yearshortlist Revealed / You Need To See This Video...aftermath Of Nigeria Vs Mali......very Funny..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.