Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,759 members, 7,824,182 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:13 AM

Nigeria Went To London To See The Queen At The Olympic - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Went To London To See The Queen At The Olympic (692 Views)

All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! / When Will An African City Host The Olympic Games? . . . Never? / When Will Africa Host the Olympic Games? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Went To London To See The Queen At The Olympic by jamp: 9:01am On Aug 12, 2012
Nigeria went there to just see the queen or her capital city. Unfortunately most of them might not have been at the opening ceremony venue where the Queen appeared. So, at last they could not even see the queen in London. So, they went to London for jamboree and to play tom-tom drums. I know you saw the picture of Ms. Evelyn Oputu, the Bank of Industry CEO playing talking drum in the Nigerian camp.

I am sure Chief Edem Duke, Tourism Minister and the Tourism Board CEO, Segun Runsewe are all there to ‘showcase’ Nigeria’s shamelessness. It was scandalous
reading in the papers that despite not winning any medal, Nigeria’s camp bubbles with party marketing Nigeria’s tourism potentials. And they advertised it as something very special.

I love dis country no be small
Re: Nigeria Went To London To See The Queen At The Olympic by Nobody: 11:16am On Aug 12, 2012
more than 200 countries are participating in the Olympics, and less than 90 of these countries got at least a medal.......so i dont know about you, but to me it sounds like Nigeria did what the majority has done as well.......and there is no shame in that.
Re: Nigeria Went To London To See The Queen At The Olympic by BlackBaron: 7:21pm On Aug 12, 2012
Actually it was a disaster. Out of the 10 most populous countries, only Nigeria and Pakistan failed to get a medal.
The latter have won none for the last 5 Olympics and so not even considered medal prospects in sporting circles. Considering we have (had?) a strong sporting tradition, it is a damn shame.
Props to the females, least they put up a good fight in all and managed to feature in a few finals. Basketball team too.
Re: Nigeria Went To London To See The Queen At The Olympic by Nobody: 7:34pm On Aug 12, 2012
^^^bro, do you think winning the Olympics has anything to do with a country's population? if that said country had awarded serious MONEY for athletics, then chances are they would have won something, but we all know that this is NOT the case. you gotta spend BIG to win BIG in athletics because training actually cost money (unless you are Kenyan or Ethiopian doing long distance running). all the countries at the top of the medal table spend BILLIONS of $$$$$$ every year on sport.

the US team sent 530 athletes, and have at least one athlete for every discipline, compare that with 9ja.

(1) (Reply)

Michael Phelps: The Greatest Athlete Of All Time: Officially Retires [video] / Osaze Disses Victor Ikpeba On Twitter / Balotelli's Sister, Abigail Pregnant For Obafemi Martins

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.