Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,295 members, 7,839,456 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 07:33 PM

23% Margin Trading, 3% Flat Fee - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / 23% Margin Trading, 3% Flat Fee (1300 Views)

CBN Introduces Current Account Maintenance Fee / What Is The Profit Margin Of 1 Bag Of Dangote/ibeto Cement? / Nigeria's Inflation Drops To 8.3% In September – NBS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

23% Margin Trading, 3% Flat Fee by cmi(m): 6:39pm On Dec 21, 2007
A friend wants to trade with the conditions given above.

1. Do you think conditions in the market look positive enough for him to pay back capital borrowed, interest and make at least 25% gain in the short (6months) to medium (1yr) term? He is only interested in capital appreciation of the selected stocks.

He wants to focus on the Banking, Insurance and Food & Beverages sector. He intends to pull out of any stock once he's achieved a set percentage growth and plough it back into another one.

2. Do you think the cost (buy and sell fees/commission) of turning around the funds will outweigh the gain? Kindly brain storm with me. Your ideas will be highly valued.
Re: 23% Margin Trading, 3% Flat Fee by easimoni(m): 6:50pm On Dec 21, 2007
Quite an interesting dilemma. wink My broker just offered my 21% with a 2% "management fee." Add in ~2% every time you buy or sell and you'll see that I need to make 30% just to break even. I have considered it and decided to source for cheaper funds. I can pick stocks I'm pretty confident will out-perform the market, the question is "what direction is the market headed"? No one can predict that. If the NSE heads south in 2008, I'll have to sell my actual holdings to repay the margin facility.

My advice: tell your friend to look for a cheaper loan. If he can't find one, go for it and focus on Insurance stocks.
Re: 23% Margin Trading, 3% Flat Fee by cmi(m): 7:59am On Dec 22, 2007
Mr. Easimoni thanks - I appreciate d way you expanded on the issue and shared your own experience.

In the first case - can you pls recommend the broker that offered you 21% with 2% management fee?
As regards picking stocks that will outperform the market - I also believe this can be achieved by doing one's research well, seeking other "eggheads" opinion, adding all together, sifting through before making a final decision. Most importantly, praying that the "market heads north" for majority of your investments.

Another point I ought to have disclosed is that the bank/brokerage firm is offering my friend N12M, his own stake/collateral is N6M portfolio value.
Do you think the rate of interest given varies depending on amount a client is willing to put down?

Once again, thank you for sharing your thoughts - makes one explore deeper within d white cells before taking the step.
Re: 23% Margin Trading, 3% Flat Fee by easimoni(m): 7:19pm On Dec 26, 2007
CMI,
I don't think the rates are tied to the size of the investment/margin facility.

And I use Lead Capital
Re: 23% Margin Trading, 3% Flat Fee by epetedo(m): 7:40pm On Dec 26, 2007
@ easimoni

pls can u expanciate on this, i am in chicago and i plan to go to naija soon, to see leadcapital about their margin facility, how much can one get say with 4m.
Re: 23% Margin Trading, 3% Flat Fee by easimoni(m): 7:48pm On Dec 26, 2007
epetedo,

Read Lead's Margin policy here

http://www.leadcapitalng.com/client_services/stock_brokerage.asp

In a nutshell, if you put down 4m, you can borrow another 4m. When you get back, lemme know how it went.

Merry Xmas
Re: 23% Margin Trading, 3% Flat Fee by epetedo(m): 8:08pm On Dec 26, 2007
@ easimoni

thanks a lot, i spoke to them b/4 and they said the amount to open is 1m for margin. do u know if it is a straight forward process i.e i give them money they give me margin, because some of them say u have to have acct with a particular bank(usually the bank giving the money) and when u do open one they now tell u that the acct is not 6months old.

have a MERRY XMAS and a prosperous NEW YEAR.
Re: 23% Margin Trading, 3% Flat Fee by cmi(m): 2:05pm On Dec 27, 2007
Thank you for information shared @easimoni.  What is your experience with LeadCapital? Are they prompt when it comes to sell/buy mandates? Will you recommend them to your close pal or your enemy? cheesy  Best regards and forever Northwards, may your investments head.

(1) (Reply)

... / Deljaj's Sparkle Fresh Liquid Soap. / Sanusi Wants Oil Subsidy To Stop: Says It Only Benefits A Cabal!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.