Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,576 members, 7,843,803 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 11:18 AM

Jay-z Quits After Def Jam Hits 31 Grammy Nominations For 2007 - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Jay-z Quits After Def Jam Hits 31 Grammy Nominations For 2007 (939 Views)

D'banj New Record Label " Def Jam Africa". / D'banj Signs Davido To His New Rrecord Label Def Jam Africa / Nas Blasts Def Jam In Email To La Reid & Staff: “i Am Nobody’s Slave” (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jay-z Quits After Def Jam Hits 31 Grammy Nominations For 2007 by eldee(m): 9:43am On Dec 25, 2007
Jay-Z to Quit His Day Job as President of Def Jam
After an unusual three-year turn in the corporate suite, Jay-Z, the rap superstar, said Monday that he would step down from his post as president of Def Jam Recordings, one of the world’s best-known record labels.
Jay-Z is not revealing his plans after he leaves Def Jam Recordings, but he will continue to record for the record label.
Jay-Z made the announcement with Def Jam’s parent, Universal Music Group, as his employment contract was expiring. Under a separate long-term recording contract with Def Jam, Jay-Z, whose real name is Shawn Carter, still owes the company one or more albums.

Jay-Z’s exit from the executive role comes after Universal, a division of Vivendi, declined to renew the contract under more lucrative terms he sought, according to people briefed on the talks, who requested anonymity because the negotiations were confidential. Under the deal that is expiring, Universal was to pay Jay-Z in the range of $10 million over the course of the contract, if he hit certain financial targets.

Jay-Z offered no hints at his future plans. “It’s time for me to take on new challenges,” he said in a statement.

This development comes after Island Def Jam gets 31 Grammy nomnations with Kanye West (8 ), Rihanna(6), Ne-yo(5) among others got nods for this years Awards.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/25/business/25music.html?ref=music
Re: Jay-z Quits After Def Jam Hits 31 Grammy Nominations For 2007 by eldee(m): 10:06pm On Dec 25, 2007
Wonder how this will affect him, the dude will obviously be losing cash now but as we know, this uy's a mega entrepreuer
Re: Jay-z Quits After Def Jam Hits 31 Grammy Nominations For 2007 by 9ja4eva: 2:06am On Dec 26, 2007
Not a good move for him
Re: Jay-z Quits After Def Jam Hits 31 Grammy Nominations For 2007 by eldee(m): 9:29am On Dec 26, 2007
I think it will give him more time to concentrate on his own record label, gossip mags said he wanted increase in wages at least for his midas touch but they just left him hanigin.
Re: Jay-z Quits After Def Jam Hits 31 Grammy Nominations For 2007 by thegame(m): 6:01pm On Dec 26, 2007
The dude wanted an unreasonable increase in salary.
Maybe he thought he was working for Microsoft. grin grin grin
Re: Jay-z Quits After Def Jam Hits 31 Grammy Nominations For 2007 by A40(m): 6:15pm On Dec 27, 2007
He made his mark at Def Jam that cannot be disputed another success story for Jigga man
Re: Jay-z Quits After Def Jam Hits 31 Grammy Nominations For 2007 by chiogo(f): 6:25pm On Dec 27, 2007
well, he still got rocafella records, right?? He probably quit Cuz he doesn't feel like sharin' with Russ Simmons anymore. He went back to smthin' he solely owns.
Re: Jay-z Quits After Def Jam Hits 31 Grammy Nominations For 2007 by thegame(m): 8:20pm On Dec 28, 2007
Whatever!
Re: Jay-z Quits After Def Jam Hits 31 Grammy Nominations For 2007 by TmeD0(m): 3:23am On Dec 29, 2007
eldee:

Jay-Z to Quit His Day Job as President of Def Jam
After an unusual three-year turn in the corporate suite, Jay-Z, the rap superstar, said Monday that he would step down from his post as president of Def Jam Recordings, one of the world’s best-known record labels.
Jay-Z is not revealing his plans after he leaves Def Jam Recordings, but he will continue to record for the record label.
Jay-Z made the announcement with Def Jam’s parent, Universal Music Group, as his employment contract was expiring. Under a separate long-term recording contract with Def Jam, Jay-Z, whose real name is Shawn Carter, still owes the company one or more albums.

Jay-Z’s exit from the executive role comes after Universal, a division of Vivendi, declined to renew the contract under more lucrative terms he sought, according to people briefed on the talks, who requested anonymity because the negotiations were confidential. Under the deal that is expiring, Universal was to pay Jay-Z in the range of $10 million over the course of the contract, if he hit certain financial targets.

Jay-Z offered no hints at his future plans. “It’s time for me to take on new challenges,” he said in a statement.

This development comes after Island Def Jam gets 31 Grammy nomnations with Kanye West (8 ), Rihanna(6), Ne-yo(5) among others got nods for this years Awards.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/25/business/25music.html?ref=music

Hmm, let's see what could that be o, that's a hard one o.  Think! think! think! think! think! Ding! I know, it's ACTING! What more could be more challenging for every artist turned actors/actresses?  Ewu!
Re: Jay-z Quits After Def Jam Hits 31 Grammy Nominations For 2007 by eldee(m): 10:37am On Dec 29, 2007
Acting surely can't be that challenging for Hov, afterall he has acted bout two flicks. I know he wants to go neckdeep into helping his record label get cred. He did it for Def-jam buy being the face main artiste.
Re: Jay-z Quits After Def Jam Hits 31 Grammy Nominations For 2007 by A40(m): 6:05pm On Jan 03, 2008
I am not sure that dude can act if he could i am sure he would have tried his hands on it a long time ago
Re: Jay-z Quits After Def Jam Hits 31 Grammy Nominations For 2007 by 9ja4eva: 2:02am On Jan 04, 2008
Is he gone for real?
Re: Jay-z Quits After Def Jam Hits 31 Grammy Nominations For 2007 by omogenaija(f): 5:48am On Jan 28, 2008
well , jay-z is a business man so im sure he knows wat he's doing, but if he is turning down $10 million imagine wat he's turning it down for grin tongue
Re: Jay-z Quits After Def Jam Hits 31 Grammy Nominations For 2007 by A40(m): 2:41pm On Feb 01, 2008
The guy has done a lot of work for Def Jam and he deserves that pay i mean 31 grammies say it all this was a Def Jam that was full of artistes that wouldnt drop shit for years ageong rappers over-rated singers and all but Jigga changed all that he performed Blue Magic over there

(1) (Reply)

Nairaland Must Find This Song / Skuki - Banger Ft Dj Zeez [video] / Da Grin's Father Gives Nod To Producers Of Late Son's Biopic.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.