Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,126 members, 7,818,377 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:54 PM

Help! Cam Sensor Missing On New Engine - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Help! Cam Sensor Missing On New Engine (2627 Views)

Which Is Better, Rebuilding My Old Vtec Engine Or Buying A New Engine / How Do I Know When To Get New Engine? / Merits Of Repairing My Crankshaft Against Buying A New Engine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help! Cam Sensor Missing On New Engine by Ladipodeal: 7:34pm On Aug 18, 2012
Did an engine swap on a Toyota camry 1998. Was told the Japanese model which is cheaper 70k can substitute for d america model engine 5S. After installing the check engine light remain permanently on did not bother before now since the car drives fine and been using it for month with any issue.
Took the car to an auto technician recently to clear the check engine status and he inform me the engine used for replacement had no cam sensor position and nothing could be done. He brought out the sensor from where it was hidden right behind the engine saying i shd drive around with the chk engine status or change engine if i really want it off.
Re: Help! Cam Sensor Missing On New Engine by Ladipodeal: 4:43pm On Aug 21, 2012
Gurus in the house pls help. Will appreciate ur suggestions.
Re: Help! Cam Sensor Missing On New Engine by Ikenna351(m): 10:49am On Aug 25, 2012
Ladipodeal: Gurus in the house pls help. Will appreciate ur suggestions.

Honestly, you brought the problem upon yourself. EFI engine is not a carbureted one. You should have checked for the compatibility of the ECU and harness before buying that replacement. There is no cut corners with an EFI engine. You should have waited, saved enough and purchased the exact engine in the car.

The auto rewire or whoever did the scanning was right that you either drive the car with the MIL permanently on or you replace that engine with factory one.

Modifications can be done in EFI system to work with another swapped in different engine, but you will need to know your onions. Its more or less a conversion.

Though, ECU can be tricked, to believe that a sensor is still attached, like the o2 & CTS and run without them well. But i dont know if such can be done with cam position sensor. Lets hear from Siena, Trac, Sultaan and other experts opinion on this. I really dont have solution to this issue.

Ikenna
Re: Help! Cam Sensor Missing On New Engine by Nobody: 11:28am On Aug 25, 2012
It may be possible to code the cam position sensor out, all depends on how advanved the ECU is.

Your old engine had a Cam Position Sensor. It basic terms, it's a Hall effect sender, and operates pretty much the same way a rotor arm in an old distributor does. However, in your car, it's used for injector phasing. Which means once the engine's running, it's functions are reduced. It does make minute corrections to the fuel map, and spark angle though.

Your current engine MUST have a Crank Position Sensor, otherwise it won't run. On cars with both, one works as back up, if the other fails. So although the engine will run with just one, it'll run at reduced power and torque (limp mode).

Your issue can be overcome - it means tracing the output driver from your ECU, to the redundant connector. You'll need to find a way to replicate the signal (Hall effect sensors are usually "square wave". That should keep the ECU happy with what it sees, and get rid of the CEL. Best way would be to fit a trigger wheel on your camshaft sprocket / wheel, and make up a bracket to read it. Unless your mechanic is pretty savvy with how a Hall effect sensor works, you'll have to live with the CEL.

What happened to your old engine? If the problem was in the bottom end, the cylinder head could well be swapped over, as long as both blocks are compatible. This will restore your original set-up.
Re: Help! Cam Sensor Missing On New Engine by Ladipodeal: 2:05pm On Aug 25, 2012
Thank ikenna and Sienna, Was actually told I could replace the cylinder head to solve the problem,but don't trust any of the mechanic around with opening the engine.
Will sell off the present engine and replace with the 5S. Talked to a dealer in ladipo auto market who accepted to swap with the present engine after inspecting it. Will add 50k as he valued the present engine as 60km
Thanks
Re: Help! Cam Sensor Missing On New Engine by Henray02: 10:05am On Oct 14, 2022
Ikenna351:

Honestly, you brought the problem upon yourself. EFI engine is not a carbureted one. You should have checked for the compatibility of the ECU and harness before buying that replacement. There is no cut corners with an EFI engine. You should have waited, saved enough and purchased the exact engine in the car.

The auto rewire or whoever did the scanning was right that you either drive the car with the MIL permanently on or you replace that engine with factory one.

Modifications can be done in EFI system to work with another swapped in different engine, but you will need to know your onions. Its more or less a conversion.

Though, ECU can be tricked, to believe that a sensor is still attached, like the o2 & CTS and run without them well. But i dont know if such can be done with cam position sensor. Lets hear from Siena, Trac, Sultaan and other experts opinion on this. I really dont have solution to this issue.

Ikenna

I have the same problem , my Camry 2003 V6 engine was changed , mechanic bought Siena engine that doesn’t use Camshaft sensor , RPM goes too low and AC doesn’t chill , only blow cold when driving, also acceleration isn’t fast at startup , I just complained and he told me it’s a minor thing . He’s going to fix that . House is it possible ?
Any chances it would be corrected ?

(1) (Reply)

Lexus Or Mercedes? 2008 Lexus IS 250 Vs Mercedes Benz C300 Comparison / Time To Remove Your Straws / Crash- What Do U Suggest We Do For Thismechanic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.