Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,176 members, 7,829,220 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 09:51 PM

I Need Help With My Writing - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / I Need Help With My Writing (1252 Views)

Putting My Writing Skills To Test / How Can I Improve My Writing Skills? / Help! I Want to Improve My Writing Skills (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Need Help With My Writing by DarryOsh(m): 8:48pm On Aug 19, 2012
Hi, im am a writer, 20 years old and i really, really love to write. I love fiction and i love to create fiction. I have had people tell me i am a great story-teller. But i have a little problem: when i start a book i just get stuck. I have started a number of books now and have dumped them. I just get to a point where i dont know how to proceed and the story just doesnt seem great anymore. I mean, isnt it too early in my career to have writer's block since i avnt really finished a proper book (actually i have finished two books but they are too childish)? I wish i could just have stories and my only task will be to tell them. Unfortunately the stories just dont come.
No 2: i want to learn because im sure i dont know enough about writing but i havent found an opportunity. This may sound a little strange but i am currently an undergraduate of computer science. Yeah, its strange but that is another story entirely. Whatever happens, i know there is fiction writing in my future and i want to prepare for it. The problem is that i dont know how to go about learnin. I recently sent an entry to attend the 2012 edition of Farafina Trust Creative Writing Workshop but sadly i was not selected. Really sad experience because fron the day i first heard of the workshop i thougt about it every single day.

By the way I live in Lagos. I would really appreciate any help.
Re: I Need Help With My Writing by ekwurekwu(m): 10:45pm On Aug 19, 2012
DarryOsh: Hi, im am a writer, 20 years old and i really, really love to write. I love fiction and i love to create fiction. I have had people tell me i am a great story-teller. But i have a little problem: when i start a book i just get stuck. I have started a number of books now and have dumped them. I just get to a point where i dont know how to proceed and the story just doesnt seem great anymore. I mean, isnt it too early in my career to have writer's block since i avnt really finished a proper book (actually i have finished two books but they are too childish)? I wish i could just have stories and my only task will be to tell them. Unfortunately the stories just dont come.
No 2: i want to learn because im sure i dont know enough about writing but i havent found an opportunity. This may sound a little strange but i am currently an undergraduate of computer science. Yeah, its strange but that is another story entirely. Whatever happens, i know there is fiction writing in my future and i want to prepare for it. The problem is that i dont know how to go about learnin. I recently sent an entry to attend the 2012 edition of Farafina Trust Creative Writing Workshop but sadly i was not selected. Really sad experience because fron the day i first heard of the workshop i thougt about it every single day.

By the way I live in Lagos. I would really appreciate any help.

There is no better way to write than allowing your story to develop.You must not write everything in one day, give yourself time and days to write.Don't write to impress, but let your audience feel your expression.
Re: I Need Help With My Writing by wiseman123: 11:07am On Aug 21, 2012
If you want to develop yourself as a writer, please sign up with EzineArticles.com
They have a solid training program for writers. One of the best on the net.
I post articles there and have benefited immensely from the training that they offer for free.
Courtesy of the training, i write much better now with confidence and can proofread and edit as well.
Proofreading and editing is a goldmine in Nigeria and now one of my income streams.
EzineArticles.com trained me for free. I read Business Administration and Finance at Bachelors and Masters Levels.
I do not have anything close to a degree in English or Mass Communication yet I am making a living in writing, proofreading and editing.
However,writing is my natural gift and passion.
Re: I Need Help With My Writing by DarryOsh(m): 1:01pm On Aug 22, 2012
wiseman123: If you want to develop yourself as a writer, please sign up with EzineArticles.com
They have a solid training program for writers. One of the best on the net.
I post articles there and have benefited immensely from the training that they offer for free.
Courtesy of the training, i write much better now with confidence and can proofread and edit as well.
Proofreading and editing is a goldmine in Nigeria and now one of my income streams.
EzineArticles.com trained me for free. I read Business Administration and Finance at Bachelors and Masters Levels.
I do not have anything close to a degree in English or Mass Communication yet I am making a living in writing, proofreading and editing.
However,writing is my natural gift and passion.
thnkz a lot ill check it out
Re: I Need Help With My Writing by masterpiecer(m): 1:03pm On Aug 22, 2012
you sound really enthusiastic about writing, the truth is, nothing good comes easy, work hard on urself, do not be in a hurry over your ambition as a writer, try to get a mentor and read lots of books, gradually your style will come out from your inside. Try writing short stories with two to three sequels, later you could plan out a story line, brood over it and start adding things up gradually. i hope this helps. best of luck.

1 Like

Re: I Need Help With My Writing by Delafruita(m): 6:49pm On Aug 22, 2012
whenever you get stuck,do something else to clear your head.i normally take a stroll,some people have sex,others play video games and many other avenues to relieve stress.take the story out of your head and it would almost always re-assemble itself and give you the next plot.it might take a day,a week or longer but you have to wait it out
Re: I Need Help With My Writing by DarryOsh(m): 10:27pm On Aug 22, 2012
masterpiecer: you sound really enthusiastic about writing, the truth is, nothing good comes easy, work hard on urself, do not be in a hurry over your ambition as a writer, try to get a mentor and read lots of books, gradually your style will come out from your inside. Try writing short stories with two to three sequels, later you could plan out a story line, brood over it and start adding things up gradually. i hope this helps. best of luck.

i think u r right. I guess i'm trying to move too fast. I tink i would work on short stories for now. Seriosly i have never really thought of short stories. Thnks
Re: I Need Help With My Writing by ANYPEN(m): 12:55am On Aug 23, 2012
How about having the complete story first in your end. I mean, having all the critical points like a frame of the story, then build the body gradually making sure that every sentence is constructed to capture your audience. This may take a long time but the end result will worth far more than the time spent. Great writers write a single story for years.
Re: I Need Help With My Writing by zubike01(m): 12:37pm On Aug 24, 2012
Mater piece what i do when i get stuck while withing is to give what i have written to my friends to read... Next thing you know they start pressuring for the rest sometimes they even make suggestion. This pressure and suggestions often help me complete my book. The easiest way to write a book is 1 create a story outline 2 add a twist. 3 The ending shouldn't seam rushed.[My Book][http://www.jollyrougeseries.com/]
Re: I Need Help With My Writing by masterpiecer(m): 3:23pm On Aug 25, 2012
zubike01: Mater piece what i do when i get stuck while withing is to give what i have written to my friends to read... Next thing you know they start pressuring for the rest sometimes they even make suggestion. This pressure and suggestions often help me complete my book. The easiest way to write a book is 1 create a story outline 2 add a twist. 3 The ending shouldn't seam rushed.[My Book][http://www.jollyrougeseries.com/]

i like ur story, i read d preview and i was engrossed in it, ur writing seem to hav a style mixed with simplicity and intrigue, crafty and captivating.
good job!, i hope to patronize ur works soon.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Zombie Mood (feelings) / Life Is Full Of Surprises (part 1) / PDF Copies Of The Famished Road And Americanah Needed.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.