Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,831 members, 7,810,200 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:13 PM

Meaning Of The Name 'Okocha' - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Meaning Of The Name 'Okocha' (9222 Views)

Jay-jay Okocha Returns To Football With English Club / John Mikel Obi Better Than Okocha At 19? / Jay Jay Okocha and World Best Player Award (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Meaning Of The Name 'Okocha' by Seun(m): 3:39pm On Apr 10, 2006
Our beloved AUstin J J Okocha is perhaps the most entertaining Nigerian midfielder of all time. I'm curious to know what his name "Okocha" means and the language it comes from. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Meaning Of The Name 'Okocha' by kajad(m): 4:13pm On Apr 10, 2006
Okocha means 'Light skined man' I think it's Delter Ibo.

1 Like

Re: Meaning Of The Name 'Okocha' by Seun(m): 5:21pm On Apr 10, 2006
Thanks. Okocha must have been really light-skinned as a baby to earn that name!

1 Like

Re: Meaning Of The Name 'Okocha' by Akolawole(m): 10:44pm On Apr 10, 2006
Seun:

Thanks. Okocha must have been really light-skinned as a baby to earn that name!

Seun, dont forget that is his surname.

His own name is Augustine Nwabuzuike( i hope i get the spelling)

1 Like

Re: Meaning Of The Name 'Okocha' by toshmann(m): 12:22am On Apr 11, 2006
forgive me if i sound outrageous, but okocha may mean white rat in another part of iboland.
oke is rat and ocha is fair/white. in ibo whenever there is a combination of words where the 1st ends with a vowel and the 2nd begins with a vowel, there is what is called "vowel assassination". so in this case(oke + ocha) the vowel lost is the e in oke leaving you with okocha= white rat. but i must confess, most young ibos don't really know the deep meaning of some names and i guess the real meaning of okocha must be something else(not what i think it is)

and, okocha is from delta state, so i'm not sure of his ethnic group(though he grew up in the east)

1 Like

Re: Meaning Of The Name 'Okocha' by toshmann(m): 12:24am On Apr 11, 2006
i guess kajad is right.

2 Likes

Re: Meaning Of The Name 'Okocha' by Oracle(m): 1:38am On Apr 11, 2006
YEAH i'LL GO WITH KAJAD'S DEFINITION

2 Likes

Re: Meaning Of The Name 'Okocha' by larger20(m): 3:01am On Apr 11, 2006
Okocha means light skin man. Origin of okocha comes from oke. In igbo land, there are four oke's
1-okeke
2- okori
3- okafor
4 - okonkwo

Oke is a male while mgba is for the women. like someone suggested above, the "e" is okocha is silent due to the igbo vowels and consonants. Ocha remains a light skin person. Therefore okocha means, a light skin man. Okocha and Nwoke Ocha are the same thing. Okocha is not is not really light skinned or maybe i havent got close to him, haha cheesy

1 Like

Re: Meaning Of The Name 'Okocha' by chinani(f): 3:08am On Apr 11, 2006
I'm going to co-sign kajad's definition. Larger_20, great addition! Probably his grandfather was light-skinned & that's how it became is last name.

1 Like

Re: Meaning Of The Name 'Okocha' by Priscila(f): 7:13am On Apr 11, 2006
What does Okocha himself say in interviews?

I would like to know what JJ means as am his fan. How he makes me proud in Bolton?

1 Like

Re: Meaning Of The Name 'Okocha' by mmomi(f): 9:48am On Apr 11, 2006
@ Toshmann
It is not "vowel assassination" but "vowel assimilation"
the meaning is ok.

1 Like

Re: Meaning Of The Name 'Okocha' by wormedup(m): 10:09am On Apr 11, 2006
Priscila:

What does Okocha himself say in interviews?

I would like to know what JJ means as am his fan. How he makes me proud in Bolton?

"jay jay" is just a nickname which is originally owned by Augustine's elder brother, Emmanuel, during his ball day's.

1 Like

Re: Meaning Of The Name 'Okocha' by youngies(m): 11:38am On Apr 11, 2006
@ wormedup
I agree with u to the extent that Jay Jay is a nick name, but the name does not belong to Emma like u said. We lived in the same street (Mbanefo) then at New Haven, Enugu.

Most people don't know that Jay Jay is the nick name of their eldest brother who once played for Railway FC in Enugu then.

Jay Jay being an Ogwashi man from Delta State, 'Okocha' can only mean: Nwoko (Man) + Ocha (fair, pure, light) = Nwokocha (light/fair/pure skinned man). Ibos are always in the habit of abbreviating names will rather call the name Nwokocha, 'Okocha'

2 Likes

Re: Meaning Of The Name 'Okocha' by romeo(m): 11:45am On Apr 11, 2006
youngies you got it right there!!!
Re: Meaning Of The Name 'Okocha' by gbengaijot(m): 12:44pm On Apr 11, 2006
when Okocha was reigning for bolton, . guess what was written on the banner attached to the bus?,

"He is so good, he was named twice, Jay Jay"
Re: Meaning Of The Name 'Okocha' by Idekeson(m): 1:24pm On Apr 11, 2006
Okocha = Nwoke-ocha
Nwoke = Man
Ocha = Fair complexion
Re: Meaning Of The Name 'Okocha' by wormedup(m): 1:38pm On Apr 11, 2006
youngies:

@ wormedup
I agree with u to the extent that Jay Jay is a nick name, but the name does not belong to Emma like u said. We lived in the same street (Mbanefo) then at New Haven, Enugu.

Most people don't know that Jay Jay is the nick name of their eldest brother who once played for Railway FC in Enugu then.

well, i don't know about the eldest brother u are talking about, but i do know that Emma was nicknamed "jay jay" during his time with Rangers FC enugu.
secondly, i also know that their father played for Railway FC.
Re: Meaning Of The Name 'Okocha' by Idekeson(m): 1:57pm On Apr 11, 2006
wormedup:

well, i don't know about the eldest brother u are talking about, but i do know that Emma was nicknamed "jay jay" during his time with Rangers FC enugu.
secondly, i also know that their father played for Railway FC.

Youngies is very correct. His elder brother is the original Jay-Jay. That's why you have Emma Jay-Jay and then Austin Jay-Jay, by way of Mbanefo street, New Haven, Enugu.

1 Like

Re: Meaning Of The Name 'Okocha' by youngies(m): 2:27pm On Apr 11, 2006
Idekeson:

Youngies is very correct. His elder brother is the original Jay-Jay. That's why you have Emma Jay-Jay and then Austin Jay-Jay, by way of Mbanefo street, New Haven, Enugu.

As soon as I remember his eldest brothers name I will tell, but for the avoidance of doubt, as a kid then in New Haven, I know the three brothers very well. I know that Emma is the only tall one in their family; Augustine and his eldest brother is of the same height with bow leg. They lived in New Haven even after Emma came back from Algers '90 Nation's cup. It was after USA 94 that Augustine built his home in Independence Layout. The eldest brother was a civil servant with Railway, Enugu.
Re: Meaning Of The Name 'Okocha' by moyosoret(f): 2:40pm On Apr 11, 2006
his eldest brother played for Rilway FC, and his real name was James Okocha, he was then nicknamed jayjay, the second son-Emmanuel Okocha, too when he started playing was called emma jayjay-just to indicate that he was jame's brother, the same also applies to Austine. so jayjay is not his name but his brother's.

2 Likes

Re: Meaning Of The Name 'Okocha' by youngies(m): 3:39pm On Apr 11, 2006
@moyosoret

Yea, his name is James. I am just reminded.
Re: Meaning Of The Name 'Okocha' by wiseguy(m): 5:15pm On Apr 11, 2006
Most of the definitions here are correct. Okocha simply means the light-skinned man or the fair man. Normally, it might not be the real name of the person being refered to but just a way to identify him. I have a cousin who is well known by everybody in the village as Nwokocha because of his fair skin but that is not his real surname . Most of the invitations he gets bears the name, Nwokocha because most people now think that is his surname.

I also know Austin's two other Brothers, Emma and James and they lived then in New Haven, Enugu before Jay Jay built the "cathedral" at Independence Layout. Austin, as I know him (when we were in National Grammar School(Nike Boys), Enugu) was destined to succeed thru football. I was actually in J.S 3 when he finished S.S 3.
Re: Meaning Of The Name 'Okocha' by toshmann(m): 12:08am On Apr 12, 2006
mmomi:

@ Toshmann
It is not "vowel assassination" but "vowel assimilation"
the meaning is ok.

thanx a lot mmomi, i had the lecture at fed govt col okigwe in 1988. lond time isn't it? so i hail myself for remembering that much 18yrs later.

anyway thanx. and cheers cheesy

1 Like

Re: Meaning Of The Name 'Okocha' by mmomi(f): 4:48pm On Apr 25, 2006
@ Toshman

You are wellcome that means you are a wonderful student.
Re: Meaning Of The Name 'Okocha' by ghettochyk(f): 6:43am On Aug 15, 2006
@toshman
lol! i was gonna say the exact same thing!!
oke= rat
ocha=white

and 2geda
drum rolls please
rat tat tat tat tat tat taaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!

OKOCHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! cool

if there's two vowels next to each other, we just remove the first one and keep the following one.
Re: Meaning Of The Name 'Okocha' by misilious(m): 11:43am On Dec 04, 2009
Why una dey cast my FATHER, PAPA J OF THE WHOLE WORLD

Re: Meaning Of The Name 'Okocha' by AndreUweh(m): 9:50pm On Dec 07, 2009
Toshman, I can't believe that you do not know what ethnicity Okocha belongs to.
Okocha is a name found all over Igboland.
In some places it is called Nwokocha, Wokocha, Okorocha, nwocha. They all mean the same thing.
The meaning: OKO OR NWOKO OR NWOKE, WOKO MEANS MALE
OCHA means purity or immaculate or innocent.
Thus OKOCHA means a man pure in heart.
@Seun: Next time, post similar questions to the Igbo section on culture forum. Inugo.

1 Like

Re: Meaning Of The Name 'Okocha' by platinumnk(f): 9:56pm On Dec 07, 2009
True^^ my great grandpa was an okocha wink
Re: Meaning Of The Name 'Okocha' by AndreUweh(m): 10:01pm On Dec 07, 2009
platinumnk:

True^^ my great grandpa was an okocha wink
Okocha is an Igbowide name.
Re: Meaning Of The Name 'Okocha' by chamotex(m): 10:04pm On Dec 07, 2009
Okocha=Albino
Re: Meaning Of The Name 'Okocha' by AndreUweh(m): 10:09pm On Dec 07, 2009
chamotex:

Okocha=Albino
NOOOOOO.
Re: Meaning Of The Name 'Okocha' by platinumnk(f): 10:12pm On Dec 07, 2009
chamotex:

Okocha=Albino

quit hatin tongue tongue tongue

(1) (2) (Reply)

Football Is Played With Your Head - Super Falcons Coach, Waldrum / Bet9ja Has Stolen From Me, Please Help Me!!!! / FIFA Women's World Cup Starts Today.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.