Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,248 members, 7,818,845 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:31 AM

Denial Of Licence To Airlines: Oduah Has Sectional Agenda - Rep - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Denial Of Licence To Airlines: Oduah Has Sectional Agenda - Rep (15469 Views)

Dollar Scarcity: Foreign Airlines Raise Fares By 100% / Anambra Attracts $1.65bn Investments As Oduah Heads Anambra Airport Project / How Painful US Visa Denial Could Be.... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Denial Of Licence To Airlines: Oduah Has Sectional Agenda - Rep by apala911: 12:08pm On Aug 29, 2012
Denial Of Licence To 3 Airlines: Oduah Pursuing Sectional Agenda, Says Rep

The Deputy Minority Leader of the House of Representatives and leader of the ANPP caucus, Hon. Suleiman Kawu, has condemned the denial of commercial permission to three airlines by the Ministry of Aviation, accusing the minister, Stella Oduah, of pursuing ‘a sectional agenda’.

The lawmaker, who made this accusation in a press statement yesterday, also called on President Goodluck Jonathan to call the minister to order in order not to portray his administration as a tribalistic one. The affected airlines are Etihad, Turkish and Emirates.

“On our part in the House of Representatives we will not allow this kind of thing to continue and we will deploy whatever powers we have to stop her.

“Most of the tension in the country now cannot be unconnected with the actions or inactions of those occupying government positions in Nigeria as certain sections of the country are consistently marginalised and left out in projects, appointments and other developmental issues. It now behoves on Mr. President to do the right thing by disassociating himself from those of his appointees, such as Stella Oduah who are all out to disunite Nigerians.”

Kawu noted that the affected airlines had consistently applied for permission to operate in Abuja airport but had been refused for the last one year.

“There is no justification for her action except that she is a tribalist, and no amount of grammar can explain her refusal to grant them the much need permit because they have enough passengers coming to Abuja,” he said.

http://www.leadership.ng/nga/articles/33666/2012/08/29/denial_licence_3_airlines_oduah_pursuing_sectional_agenda_says_rep.html
Re: Denial Of Licence To Airlines: Oduah Has Sectional Agenda - Rep by ektbear: 12:21pm On Aug 29, 2012
Which tribe is a Turkish or Emirati airline associated with? Hausas? If so, how?

I do not follow the logic of how this is discriminatory.

3 Likes

Re: Denial Of Licence To Airlines: Oduah Has Sectional Agenda - Rep by ektbear: 12:23pm On Aug 29, 2012
I would not be surprised if this Suleiman Kawu is a bought creature of one of the airlines mentioned.
Re: Denial Of Licence To Airlines: Oduah Has Sectional Agenda - Rep by PaulJohn1: 1:11pm On Aug 29, 2012
We're watching how this's gonna end shocked
Re: Denial Of Licence To Airlines: Oduah Has Sectional Agenda - Rep by mamikky: 3:24pm On Aug 29, 2012
@ post: where is sectional agenda here.......or are u now saying foreign airlines are owned by Nigerians from particular geo political zones with the real identity hidden?
Re: Denial Of Licence To Airlines: Oduah Has Sectional Agenda - Rep by courage89(m): 3:34pm On Aug 29, 2012
What is wrong with opening other airports in the country to foreign airlines, absolutely nothing. If the economics of flying through these airports angur well for these airlines, they will adopt it. If it doesn't, they will back out. This is not a forced marriage and people should not view it as such. Tribalizing every progressive ideas will only lead to stagnation and regression of our economy.
Re: Denial Of Licence To Airlines: Oduah Has Sectional Agenda - Rep by OAM4J: 4:11pm On Aug 29, 2012
ekt_bear: Which tribe is a Turkish or Emirati airline associated with? Hausas? If so, how?

I do not follow the logic of how this is discriminatory.

I think he is referring to directive of the minister for the airlines to consider Enugu instead of Abuja. So the Mallam think she has an ethnic agenda since the minister is from South East.
Re: Denial Of Licence To Airlines: Oduah Has Sectional Agenda - Rep by Desola(f): 4:26pm On Aug 29, 2012
OAM4J:

I think he is referring to directive of the minister for the airlines to consider Enugu instead of Abuja. So the Mallam think she has an ethnic agenda since the minister is from South East.

which she does but she is able to rebut that claim by saying that Enugu is equally a federal government international airport and in order to boost all aspects of the country's air traffic sector, it is only right to ask these carriers to consider flying to Enugu(although this is a veiled economic duress being exerted by her and geared toward diverting revenue to her side of the country). However, descerning minds can read through this for what it really is.

Jonasatan's government is generally a tribalistic one geared at spiting the Yorubas and Hausas in my candid opinion. The ibos are happy and careless about this because as they see it, the Yorubas and Hausas have been milking the country dry since their failed attempt at secession so they see this as their time to chop and Jonasatan is delivering that.

7 Likes

Re: Denial Of Licence To Airlines: Oduah Has Sectional Agenda - Rep by Eziachi: 4:34pm On Aug 29, 2012
OAM4J:

When the Younde airport was upgraded to take in any sized airline in 1991, most of the airlines refused to go there but preferred Duoala airport where the bulk of their clientele (Duoala Igbo business community) is based. The Biya's govt gave them a choice to patronise Younde along with Douala or pack your bags. They have no choice than to go to Younde too.

3 Likes

Re: Denial Of Licence To Airlines: Oduah Has Sectional Agenda - Rep by Eziachi: 4:38pm On Aug 29, 2012
Desola:

which she does but she is able to rebut that claim by saying that Enugu is equally a federal government international airport and in order to boost all aspects of the country's air traffic sector, it is only right to ask these carriers to consider flying to Enugu(although this is a veiled economic duress being exerted by her and geared toward diverting revenue to her side of the country). However, descerning minds can read through this for what it really is.

Jonasatan's government is generally a tribalistic one geared at spiting the Yorubas and Hausas in my candid opinion. The ibos are happy and careless about this because as they see it, the Yorubas and Hausas have been milking the country dry since their failed attempt at secession so they see this as their time to chop and Jonasatan is delivering that.
I think you are very very talented indeed!
How you always manage to turn every single story, thread to wear a tribal suit is nothing short of a miracle. I duff my hat for you honestly!
What is this Jonasatan of yours? Was it meant to be funny or anguish?

8 Likes

Re: Denial Of Licence To Airlines: Oduah Has Sectional Agenda - Rep by billante(m): 4:46pm On Aug 29, 2012
Desola:

Sillyness at d highest order! Tribalist slowpoke!! How will u call someone a satan

2 Likes

Re: Denial Of Licence To Airlines: Oduah Has Sectional Agenda - Rep by Katsumoto: 5:10pm On Aug 29, 2012
OAM4J:

If it is not economically viable for the airlines to fly to Enugu, then it is the Nigerian consumer who suffers.

If the airlines do fly to Enugu, the Nigerian consumer still suffers - 1)additional risk of flying or driving to Enugu 2)Additional expenses such as hotels, transport, etc.

Nothing makes sense in that country; how those who live there manage to survive beats me.

2 Likes

Re: Denial Of Licence To Airlines: Oduah Has Sectional Agenda - Rep by warrior01: 5:31pm On Aug 29, 2012
Katsumoto:

If it is not economically viable for the airlines to fly to Enugu, then it is the Nigerian consumer who suffers.

If the airlines do fly to Enugu, the Nigerian consumer still suffers - 1)additional risk of flying or driving to Enugu 2)Additional expenses such as hotels, transport, etc.

Nothing makes sense in that country; how those who live there manage to survive beats me.
your stup!d sense of reasoning didn't let you know that it would actually stimulate the economy as more jobs will be created through connecting flights, hotels etc.
Moreso, it didn't occur to you that some people in a particular region have equally been travelling to lagos and abuja in order to make their trips out of the country. Don't you think it makes more economic sense to open up other parts of the country to international business instead of concentrating only in lagos and abuja.

9 Likes

Re: Denial Of Licence To Airlines: Oduah Has Sectional Agenda - Rep by Katsumoto: 6:02pm On Aug 29, 2012
warrior01:
your stup!d sense of reasoning didn't let you know that it would actually stimulate the economy as more jobs will be created through connecting flights, hotels etc.
Moreso, it didn't occur to you that some people in a particular region have equally been travelling to lagos and abuja in order to make their trips out of the country. Don't you think it makes more economic sense to open up other parts of the country to international business instead of concentrating only in lagos and abuja.

In my initial post, I at least considered other factors other than money.

I considered the safety of passengers who have to journey from Enugu to Abuja. I also considered the economics of such a maove and that's why I started with if it is not economically viable for the airlines to fly to enugu,then the consumer suffers. Mr economics, do you understand why I made that statement? If the minister insists that the airlines use Enugu as a base and then refuse, the consumer suffers because competition is refused on the routes those airlines want to fly and as such, price doesn't go down as it should do.

With regards to your second comments, unless you can prove that a great percentage of those flying through Abuja and Lagos are from the East, then you have no leg to stand on. There is an international airport at PH (which is in the East) and more flights would operate from there if the demand was there.

However, if your point was that absolutely no one should travel more than an inch to fly international, then I suggest you contact the minister and advise her to situate an airport in every local government, starting with yours.

You must be a child if you think that opening an airport in a city is what opens it up to international business.

I don't engage animals in debate and I will simply ignore you if you respond with another post filled with idiocy, brigandry, and insults. I have never debated with you before and I don't understand why you started your post in such a manner unless you are one of those with multiple IDs.

9 Likes

Re: Denial Of Licence To Airlines: Oduah Has Sectional Agenda - Rep by Desola(f): 6:13pm On Aug 29, 2012
Eziachi:
I think you are very very talented indeed!
How you always manage to turn every single story, thread to wear a tribal suit is nothing short of a miracle. I duff my hat for you honestly!
What is this Jonasatan of yours? Was it meant to be funny or anguish?

I'm flattered, thank you. I am a tribalist afterall.

Jonasatan is a befitting name for the current nincompoop in power, in my opinion.

And don't be silly, old foggie. You and I know that Stella's agenda is ethnically motivated but I can forgive you because being ibo, you are a sycophant and anything your tribesmen/women do, wether good or bad, is right to you all. You can be forgiven for this afterall this is a "chop I chop" government.

3 Likes

Re: Denial Of Licence To Airlines: Oduah Has Sectional Agenda - Rep by Desola(f): 6:15pm On Aug 29, 2012
billante:

Sillyness at d highest order! Tribalist slowpoke!! How will u call someone a satan

I can call him one because I deem him to be one. It is clearly not right in your opinion but that is the beauty of human right. You have the right to your own opinion.

Yes, yes, i'm a tribalist.

slowpoke? Now that is a name synonymous to your ilk, darling.

2 Likes

Re: Denial Of Licence To Airlines: Oduah Has Sectional Agenda - Rep by warrior01: 6:53pm On Aug 29, 2012
Katsumoto:

I considered the safety of passengers who have to journey from Enugu to Abuja. I also considered the economics of such a maove and that's why I started with if it is not economically viable for the airlines to fly to enugu,then the consumer suffers. Mr economics, do you understand why I made that statement? If the minister insists that the airlines use Enugu as a base and then refuse, the consumer suffers because competition is refused on the routes those airlines want to fly and as such, price doesn't go down as it should do.

With regards to your second comments, unless you can prove that a great percentage of those flying through Abuja and Lagos are from the East, then you have no leg to stand on. There is an international airport at PH (which is in the East) and more flights would operate from there if the demand was there.

However, if your point was that absolutely no one should travel more than an inch to fly international, then I suggest you contact the minister and advise her to situate an airport in every local government, starting with yours.

You must be a child if you think that opening an airport in a city is what opens it up to international business.

I don't engage animals in debate and I will simply ignore you if you respond with another post filled with idiocy, brigandry, and insults. I have never debated with you before and I don't understand why you started your post in such a manner unless you are one of those with multiple IDs.
i think you're utterly confused or simply biased. As you said, if your consideration is not money but the safety of the passengers that will be travelling to enugu; don't you think we should all be equally 'concerned' about the safety of other nigerians travelling from other parts of the country to lagos and abuja in order to make their trips? Is what is good for the goose no more good for the gander? Once again, since we all believe in one nigeria, don't you think it makes more economic sense to open up other parts of the country to the world instead of only lagos and abuja?

5 Likes

Re: Denial Of Licence To Airlines: Oduah Has Sectional Agenda - Rep by asha80(m): 6:57pm On Aug 29, 2012
Katsumoto:

I considered the safety of passengers who have to journey from Enugu to Abuja
. I also considered the economics of such a maove and that's why I started with if it is not economically viable for the airlines to fly to enugu,then the consumer suffers. Mr economics, do you understand why I made that statement? If the minister insists that the airlines use Enugu as a base and then refuse, the consumer suffers because competition is refused on the routes those airlines want to fly and as such, price doesn't go down as it should do.

what do you mean by safety?

1 Like

Re: Denial Of Licence To Airlines: Oduah Has Sectional Agenda - Rep by billante(m): 7:10pm On Aug 29, 2012
Desola:

I can call him one because I deem him to be one. It is clearly not right in your opinion but that is the beauty of human right. You have the right to your own opinion.

Yes, yes, i'm a tribalist.

slowpoke? Now that is a name synonymous to your ilk, darling.

Its ur right to call someone degrading names! But when someone calls u a slowpoke, it pains u! See ur life...when u give respect u get it back!

2 Likes

Re: Denial Of Licence To Airlines: Oduah Has Sectional Agenda - Rep by Katsumoto: 7:24pm On Aug 29, 2012
warrior01:
i think you're utterly confused or simply biased. As you said, if your consideration is not money but the safety of the passengers that will be travelling to enugu; don't you think we should all be equally 'concerned' about the safety of other nigerians travelling from other parts of the country to lagos and abuja in order to make their trips? Is what is good for the goose no more good for the gander? Once again, since we all believe in one nigeria, don't you think it makes more economic sense to open up other parts of the country to the world instead of only lagos and abuja?

There are airports in all parts of Nigeria. Stop being unnecessarily difficult.
Lagos caters for the passengers in the West, PH for those in the East, Kano for the North and Abuja for central Nigeria.

Having the demand to maintain routes from all airports is a different thing entirely.

2 Likes

Re: Denial Of Licence To Airlines: Oduah Has Sectional Agenda - Rep by Chyz2: 7:25pm On Aug 29, 2012
Katsumoto:

PH International airport is in the East, right? Then which section is Asaba International airport? Also, whether the airport brings in international,national, local,or village business is besides the point. It will bring in revenue and makes the lives of many many easier. That's what matters.

The demand for PH(Omagwa) airport is actually high. In fact, too high. The place is congested,but I guess you wouldn't know that for obvious reasons.

3 Likes

Re: Denial Of Licence To Airlines: Oduah Has Sectional Agenda - Rep by basisop(m): 7:31pm On Aug 29, 2012
Tribalism ehh. Never knew those airlines are for Northerners.
Re: Denial Of Licence To Airlines: Oduah Has Sectional Agenda - Rep by Katsumoto: 7:32pm On Aug 29, 2012
asha 80:

what do you mean by safety?

Lets say there are 100 passengers flying from Enugu to Dubai.

20 passengers are from Enugu/Onitsha, while the rest of the passengers are from Abuja and other Northern states.

I am assuming that Western passengers will use Lagos airport to travel to the same destination.

In this case, 80 passengers (a majority) will have to take additional flights to get to Abuja and other Northern states.

Ignoring the economic effects/benefits of the internal flights, 80 people will have to take the added risk of flying internal when everyone knows the dangerous state of Nigeria's airline industry. That is what I meant by safety.

Obviously, this wouldn't be the case if the majority of passengers were from the East. But since we don't know for sure, we are guessing and thats why I used conditional statements and not definitive ones.
Re: Denial Of Licence To Airlines: Oduah Has Sectional Agenda - Rep by billante(m): 7:35pm On Aug 29, 2012
Katsumoto:

There are airports in all parts of Nigeria. Stop being unnecessarily difficult.
Lagos caters for the passengers in the West, PH for those in the East, Kano for the North and Abuja for central Nigeria.

Having the demand to maintain routes from all airports is a different thing entirely.

Dude enugu airport is very viable for international flights! It was made an internation airport to cater for south east! PH caters for south south!...abuja already has international flights landing there while enugu has none...is it not reasonable for new internationl flight slots be moved to the ones dat don't have any flights taking off from!?
Or do you want the facilities FG spent huge sums of tax payers money to provide to lie idle and waste away!!

3 Likes

Re: Denial Of Licence To Airlines: Oduah Has Sectional Agenda - Rep by Katsumoto: 7:40pm On Aug 29, 2012
Chyz*:

PH International airport is in the East, right? Then which section is Asaba International airport? Also, whether the airport brings in international,national, local,or village business is besides the point. It will bring in revenue and makes the lives of many many easier. That's what matters.

The demand for PH(Omagwa) airport is actually high. In fact, too high. The place is congested,but I guess you wouldn't know that for obvious reasons.

Are you now suggesting that International flights go to Asaba as well as Enugu and Port Harcourt?

The use of an airport matters, that's what determines what kind of logistics to employ. You can't compare International with state/village travellers.

So now PH airport is fully subscribed? I guess the debate determines whether PH airport and seaports are fully utilized.

My guess is that some Igbo folks just want an international airport in Alaigbo regardless of whether the demand can support it.

If you want to upgrade Asaba or Enugu, then you have to downgrade PH but you have to make a compelling viable case for it.

All airlines want to make money and if the demand is there to have 10 airports in Alaigbo, airlines will seize on it.

I don't believe the demand currently exists; if you think otherwise, then present your case.

4 Likes

Re: Denial Of Licence To Airlines: Oduah Has Sectional Agenda - Rep by Katsumoto: 7:43pm On Aug 29, 2012
billante:

Dude enugu airport is very viable for international flights! [/b]It was made an internation airport to cater for south east! PH caters for south south!...abuja already has international flights landing there while enugu has none...[b]is it not reasonable for new internationl flight slots be moved to the ones dat don't have any flights taking off from!?
Or do you want the facilities FG spent huge sums of tax payers money to provide to lie idle and waste away!!

If it is viable, then why do you need to twist the arms of airlines to fly there?

So the minister should force international airlines to Enugu just because it doesn't have any routes?

1 Like

Re: Denial Of Licence To Airlines: Oduah Has Sectional Agenda - Rep by asha80(m): 7:45pm On Aug 29, 2012
Katsumoto:

Lets say there are 100 passengers flying from Enugu to Dubai.

20 passengers are from Enugu/Onitsha, while the rest of the passengers are from Abuja and other Northern states.

I am assuming that Western passengers will use Lagos airport to travel to the same destination.

In this case, 80 passengers (a majority) will have to take additional flights to get to Abuja and other Northern states.

Ignoring the economic effects/benefits of the internal flights, 80 people will have to take the added risk of flying internal when everyone knows the dangerous state of Nigeria's airline industry. That is what I meant by safety.

Obviously, this wouldn't be the case if the majority of passengers were from the East. But since we don't know for sure, we are guessing and thats why I used conditional statements and not definitive ones.

thankgod you are only guessing.
Re: Denial Of Licence To Airlines: Oduah Has Sectional Agenda - Rep by billante(m): 7:52pm On Aug 29, 2012
Katsumoto:

If it is viable, then why do you need to twist the arms of airlines to fly there?

So the minister should force international airlines to Enugu just because it doesn't have any routes?

Yes if it is necessary for her to do dat she has to! And why are u siding with those airlines that only have the intent of the profit they can fleech from d country to their respective countries to...the minister's intent is for the benefit of the country...east is a part of nigeria for crying out loud...and they have a huge internationl flight demand! Go to MMA and check...

4 Likes

Re: Denial Of Licence To Airlines: Oduah Has Sectional Agenda - Rep by Katsumoto: 7:59pm On Aug 29, 2012
billante:

Yes if it is necessary for her to do dat she has to! And why are u siding with those airlines that only have the intent of the profit they can fleech from d country to their respective countries to...the minister's intent is for the benefit of the country...east is a part of nigeria for crying out loud...and they have a huge internationl flight demand! Go to MMA and check...

Do you think international airlines will remain in the country if they are making losses? In any case, those airlines will just abandon the quest for licenses if they don't believe that they will make profits from the Enugu airport. It is simple economics.

First, if you think that every Easterner at MMA eventually travels to the East, then you are mistaken
Second, if you think that a majority of those travelling through MMA are from the east, then you are also mistaken.

2 Likes

Re: Denial Of Licence To Airlines: Oduah Has Sectional Agenda - Rep by Chyz2: 8:12pm On Aug 29, 2012
Katsumoto:

Are you now suggesting that International flights go to Asaba as well as Enugu and Port Harcourt?

The use of an airport matters, that's what determines what kind of logistics to employ. You can't compare International with state/village travellers.

So now PH airport is fully subscribed? I guess the debate determines whether PH airport and seaports are fully utilized.

My guess is that some Igbo folks just want an international airport in Alaigbo regardless of whether the demand can support it.

If you want to upgrade Asaba or Enugu, then you have to downgrade PH but you have to make a compelling viable case for it.

All airlines want to make money and if the demand is there to have 10 airports in Alaigbo, airlines will seize on it.

I don't believe the demand currently exists; if you think otherwise, then present your case.

My question was: "PH International airport is in the East, right? Then which section is Asaba International airport?"- Answer please. Thank you.

The demand is there and the ministers move is only going to attract more money. Read:

Akanu Ibiam International Airport is closer to several parts of the following states: Abia, Anambra, Benue, Delta, Ebonyi, Edo, Enugu, Imo, and Kogi states. As such, international passengers to these states will find Akanu Ibiam Airport indispensable, as the costs associated with travelling to their destinations through Lagos or Kano(Abuja as well) will be eliminated.

It is crucial to note that the Southeast Nigeria, with Enugu as its headquarters as well as its center in terms of geographical location, is the home to the first, third, fourth and fifth largest markets and commercial centers in Africa. The famous Onitsha Market in the city of Onitsha, which is 85.22kilometers away from Enugu, is the largest market in Africa. It attracts a daily visit of over 200,000 people with the visitors coming from each of the 36 states in Nigeria, and neighboring countries, including Ghana, Cameroun, Ivory Coast, Togo, Chad, Senegal, Niger and other countries in West African sub-continent.

Other important markets that will support the viability and boost the economic benefits of Akanu Ibiam International Airport include Nnewi Market at Nkwo Nnewi - the automobile center of West Africa, Ariari Market at Aba, Ogbate Market in Enugu, Kenyatta Market in Enugu, and Eke Market in Ekwulobia. The Auto spare parts market at Nkwo Nnewi stands out as the largest automobile and motorcycle spare parts market in Africa. Nnewi is known as the Detroit of Africa because it has the highest concentration of auto manufacturing and assembling plants in Africa. Similar to Onitsha, Nnewi is 80.45 kilometers away from Enugu.

A large number of Igbo businessmen and women deal on motor spare parts and most of them come to Nnewi to obtain their merchandise. This means that most spare parts business people who reside in various parts of Nigeria, from Lagos in the West to Kano in the North travel to Nnewi to obtain their merchandise. Akanu Ibiam International Airport will also become the landing port for others from all the African countries that visit Nnewi for automobile business. Currently, they must go through Lagos or Abuja before taking a local flight to Enugu. A direct international flight to Enugu will save time and money – the bottom-line for any business decision.

6 Likes

Re: Denial Of Licence To Airlines: Oduah Has Sectional Agenda - Rep by PointB: 8:23pm On Aug 29, 2012
Nice and bold move by the Minister. It doesn't make sense at all to fly down to Lagos, only to start hustling down to the East.
I think those airlines concern should consider themselves lucky, as they have unknowingly hit a goldmine.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

UAE Extends Ban On Nigerian Flights Till March 10 / Tanker Crushes Woman, Two Children, Others To Death In Delta / Anambra traffic management agency moves to decongest Onitsha and enviro(photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.