Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,753 members, 7,817,083 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:04 AM

Fuel Type: Regular, Mid Or Premium - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Fuel Type: Regular, Mid Or Premium (4646 Views)

Perfect Premium Edition 2005/6 Toyota Avensis Toks Full Trim(not Converted) / Toks 2009 Lexus GX470 Premium. Super Sweet. / SOLD! SOLD!! SOLD!!! | Mercedes Benz 190E Regular |Abuja| @ N130,000 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fuel Type: Regular, Mid Or Premium by layifioren(m): 12:32am On Jan 03, 2008
My fellow nairalanders, I need some ejumication. Here in the states, different vehicles use different type of gas. For example, Acura TL uses premium while Honda Accord uses regular. You could use premium for Honda Accord if you choose to but you cannot use regular for the TL. Using regular for the TL would mess it's engine up sooner or later. Is it the same in Nigeria. I mean I've never saw anything like that in Naija before I left. People drive BMW, Mazda Millenia, Benz etc in Nigeria which uses premium gas here in the states. Do we have premium gas in Nigeria or do people just use the regular gas in Nigeria? It's been over a year I last visited Naija so I no sabi if things don change. Thanks
Re: Fuel Type: Regular, Mid Or Premium by Ivvie: 9:23pm On Jan 20, 2008
I will speak from a Mercedes standpoint since I have detailed Mercedes for more than a decade now.  Mercedes built for tropical climates and some parts of Europe that don't have access to 91 RON+MON or more (US. premium fuel) or equiv. have a 2 to 3 degree of retarded timing.  Through its lifetime, you'd never experience knocks and pings or serious engine problem.  Without the retard, you'd hear the valves knocking because it's preigniting (predetonation) and that is the beginning of a history of engine damage. Ignore the pings and you might have a blown engine (if it's a high compression engine).

If you've noticed, those with padded Benzes that were shipped from the US had engine problems or complications arising from wrong fuel usage.  That is that.  I am sure it applies to the rest of interal combustion and mechanics.

Besides poor driveability, the gasoline isn't burnt well.  Benzes are built to burn slowly or combust cooler.  A design in this idea is matched with a premium gasoline.  A car designed to burn rapidly or combust hotter will run on regular fuel.

Some people claim that there are sensors that tell what octane has been fueled and engine management unit compensates for octane variability.  How that is true, I cannot say 'cause I haven't scientific theory that backs that up.

Some people argue but there is a standard.  If the manu.f says Premium, use as said.  If you knew better, you should be working there.

1 Like

Re: Fuel Type: Regular, Mid Or Premium by TouaregV8(m): 10:50am On Jun 20, 2008
Nigeria operates a single petrol (PMS) standard of RON 90, which is equivalent to regular fuel in the USA. Premium fuel in the USA is equivalent to RON 95 in the rest of the world.

Unfortunately, a majority of cars imported into Nigeria (including the USA) require an octane grade of RON 95. This fact goes a long way of explaining a majority of fuel problems we face in Nigeria.

I hope this helps.
Re: Fuel Type: Regular, Mid Or Premium by icemann(m): 12:49pm On Jun 20, 2008
@ ivvie
thanks u just helped me figure out the biggest problem we had some years back on my mums benz. the engine was rebuilt twice in 1 year b4 we vex buy new 1 that has lasted over 9years
Re: Fuel Type: Regular, Mid Or Premium by TouaregV8(m): 12:59pm On Jun 20, 2008
Hello Icemann,

Thank you for your feedback. Please feel free to contact me for any further assistance.

(1) (Reply)

2004 Volkswagen Touareg 4.2: Wonderful Offer / Lagos Cleared 2003 Honda Accord.. Call: 07055402728,08082048546:bb Pin 2b09fb53 / 2010 LEXUS LS 460,fully Loaded for SALE/SWAP Best Price Ever

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.