Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,208 members, 7,822,074 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 05:39 AM

Dealing With A Child's Destructive Behaviour? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Dealing With A Child's Destructive Behaviour? (12909 Views)

Dealing With Pressures From Single Girls / Dealing With The Pressures From Married Men / Dealing With A Football-Addicted Fiance (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dealing With A Child's Destructive Behaviour? by greatgod2012(f): 9:25am On Aug 30, 2012
Please, nairalanders, how do i deal with destructive child, there is dis my boy who is so destructive, no matter how expensive d toy is, just give some hours, he will dismantle everything beyond repair. I'm so confused, dont know what to do abt it, and if i try to buy toys for his siblings and not buy for him, he'd be singing(crying) mum dont like me, i will not like her when i grow up. I've really tried to talk to him but he wouldn't change, pls, i need ur sincere advice, what do i do to curtail dis behaviour of his. Thanks in anticipation of ur sincere and mature responses.
Re: Dealing With A Child's Destructive Behaviour? by Nobody: 9:50am On Aug 30, 2012
greatgod2012: Please, nairalanders, how do i deal with destructive child, there is dis my boy who is so destructive, no matter how expensive d toy is, just give some hours, he will dismantle everything beyond repair. I'm so confused, dont know what to do abt it, and if i try to buy toys for his siblings and not buy for him, he'd be singing(crying) mum dont like me, i will not like her when i grow up. I've really tried to talk to him but he wouldn't change, pls, i need ur sincere advice, what do i do to curtail dis behaviour of his. Thanks in anticipation of ur sincere and mature responses.

Material things are valuless to kids; As long as he's yet to out grow the age of using toys, hmmm! Momma! There's nothing you can do oo. lol. Just give em some time.
smiley
Re: Dealing With A Child's Destructive Behaviour? by greatgod2012(f): 9:57am On Aug 30, 2012
kunletiwoo:

Material thing are valuless to kids; As long as he's yet to out grow the age of using toys, hmmm! Momma! There's nothing you can do oo. lol. Just give em some time.
smiley

Thanks sir, if i get u right, u mean i shd continue buying toys 4 him until he outgrow d age of destroying them.

1 Like

Re: Dealing With A Child's Destructive Behaviour? by ifyalways(f): 10:02am On Aug 30, 2012
A creative and unique child is termed "destructive" by his own mother

Lawdhavemercy!

Toys? !!! And here was I thinking he's destroyed all gadgets in the house?

Woman please, stop cursing your child and creating problems where none exists.

1 Like

Re: Dealing With A Child's Destructive Behaviour? by ayobase(m): 10:21am On Aug 30, 2012
Im so sure he is gonna be an engineer (mechanical engineer).
Well, kids and toy...u cant stop buying for him....u rather look out for the ones that are not too expensive and not easily ''destroyable''!

1 Like

Re: Dealing With A Child's Destructive Behaviour? by greatgod2012(f): 10:24am On Aug 30, 2012
ifyalways: A creative and unique child is termed "destructive" by his own mother

Lawdhavemercy!

Toys? !!! And here was I thinking he's destroyed all gadgets in the house?

Woman please, stop cursing your child and creating problems where none exists.

not only toys, my sister, its anything he's able to lay his hand on, i only used toys as an example of what he destroys.
Re: Dealing With A Child's Destructive Behaviour? by Nobody: 10:32am On Aug 30, 2012
greatgod2012:

Thanks sir, if i get u right, u mean i shd continue buying toys 4 him until he outgrow d age of destroying them.

Yup! And you can as well limit the rate at which you buy them for him... Buh, in no time he'll surely get matured and learn to protect his stuffs.
Re: Dealing With A Child's Destructive Behaviour? by vanitty: 1:57pm On Aug 30, 2012
How old is this your boy?

1 Like

Re: Dealing With A Child's Destructive Behaviour? by zumarock8(m): 2:17pm On Aug 30, 2012
i was once as distructive as dat, bt now i ve replace all dat i distroyed, so let him be, he will learn wen d time is write
Re: Dealing With A Child's Destructive Behaviour? by Nobody: 2:18pm On Aug 30, 2012
putam fressh pepper for nyash angry angry angry angry
Re: Dealing With A Child's Destructive Behaviour? by fankasibe: 2:19pm On Aug 30, 2012
you should be very happy because your child will surely grow up to become an engineer.....just work on it, i'm so happy for you grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Dealing With A Child's Destructive Behaviour? by Freiburger(m): 2:20pm On Aug 30, 2012
@ topic, same with me here, my 2 and half yr old daughter cant keep a toy for a week.
Re: Dealing With A Child's Destructive Behaviour? by Nobody: 2:22pm On Aug 30, 2012
If ur boy is above 3yrs nd is stil behaving lyk dis I advice u begin to tke it serious,flog or tel him u wld stop buyin toys,cause maybe he has dat destructive tait in him nd its beginging to show.so tke him serious nd try to curtail,bt if is below 3yrs den he is jst growing up nd its mormal

1 Like

Re: Dealing With A Child's Destructive Behaviour? by OgidiOlu3(m): 2:24pm On Aug 30, 2012
Hey man, look on the bright side, he might actually become an engineer. grin

1 Like

Re: Dealing With A Child's Destructive Behaviour? by iykak47: 2:31pm On Aug 30, 2012
illitrate: putam fressh pepper for nyash angry angry angry angry
shockedshockedshockedshockedshockedshockedshocked
Re: Dealing With A Child's Destructive Behaviour? by stagger: 2:32pm On Aug 30, 2012
What you term as destructive behaviour is actually inquisitiveness at its maximum. Children that display such attitudes eventually turn out to be creative-minded; many end up as engineers.

So just bear with it. With age, he will graduate from dismantling toys to dismantling other newer stuff, and by the time he is set to go into the university, he would now use the skills appropriately.
Re: Dealing With A Child's Destructive Behaviour? by Nobody: 2:34pm On Aug 30, 2012
Mama my mum told me that when I was much young I used 2 destroy things especially toys n house gadjet let me list some of I mentioned destruction of which some I can still remember maybe because I was spanked for it.
1. Try to break a radio to see d ppl inside
2. Climbed on a kitchen stool and joyfully droping ceramic n glass plates n enjoying it while mum n dad were watching tv she said I was really spanked for dat imagin from smiles 2 cry.
3. I broke my neighbour's windscreen while playing baseballs wif stones.
4.The windows in my neidhbourhood where either cracked or broken cortesy me and my friends
To cut the long list short, I am now d most coolest n careful mechanical engineer u can think of he will grow ova it moreova ur boi is a good boi.

2 Likes

Re: Dealing With A Child's Destructive Behaviour? by eastman11: 2:36pm On Aug 30, 2012
Am happy for you cos you are lucky to have a child in the first place, am still expecting one and i don't mind if he/she smashes my car my TV, am tired of having my house in order.

7 Likes

Re: Dealing With A Child's Destructive Behaviour? by freecocoa(f): 2:37pm On Aug 30, 2012
LOL

Guess he's like my brother that fixes almost any appliance that gets spoilt in the house, my mum said he was conan the destroyer as a kid.grin

1 Like

Re: Dealing With A Child's Destructive Behaviour? by iyaayi(f): 2:40pm On Aug 30, 2012
A good spanking will put some sense in his head. That way, he wil know its bad habit to wilfully deStroy things!
Re: Dealing With A Child's Destructive Behaviour? by shaybebaby(f): 2:42pm On Aug 30, 2012
How about buying toys for him that involves building things, i mean toys like legos can be dismantled over and over again. he get's to express his creativity by building whatever catches his imagination and he can tear it down to build something else with the same toy. Also try puzzles. I know you can't restrict him to those toys solely but hitting him won't work. Try taking all his toys away, let him earn them back one at a time. If he plays with one for say three days without breaking it, he gets another. If he breaks it, he doesn't get any for a week. Those times scales are just for example, you decide how you want to do it.

6 Likes

Re: Dealing With A Child's Destructive Behaviour? by Nobody: 2:44pm On Aug 30, 2012
Dont buy him any more toy. Its as simple as that. If he says you dont like him, then he is too young to make a decision, dont freak out.
Re: Dealing With A Child's Destructive Behaviour? by Acidosis(m): 2:45pm On Aug 30, 2012
And to see some peeps rejoicing over this baffles me.
Anyone can be an.engineer, it doesn't in anyway relate to destroying properties.

You have two options, @Op

°keep on buying toys
°Stop buying toys.
Re: Dealing With A Child's Destructive Behaviour? by free2ryhme: 2:47pm On Aug 30, 2012
greatgod2012: Please, nairalanders, how do i deal with destructive child, there is dis my boy who is so destructive, no matter how expensive d toy is, just give some hours, he will dismantle everything beyond repair. I'm so confused, dont know what to do abt it, and if i try to buy toys for his siblings and not buy for him, he'd be singing(crying) mum dont like me, i will not like her when i grow up. I've really tried to talk to him but he wouldn't change, pls, i need ur sincere advice, what do i do to curtail dis behaviour of his. Thanks in anticipation of ur sincere and mature responses.
This may sound bad, but it may not take long before your destructive child gets the picture.

First. Do not punish the other kids for the actions of the one who is acting out in anger. Be sure the other children have their toys. Keep the toys in a place where they will safe, even if you have to resort to a box in your bedroom and when your child wants a toy, you get it for them.

As for the child with the destructive behavior. Take all of his toys away. Tell him he cannot play with ANY toys until he learns how to respect the toys, and those beloning to others. Obviously he does not understand that respecting property is necessary in life.

If you continue to allow this behavior, you will regret what happens when he gets into his teen years and beyond.

You may also get help from the school psychologist or your family doctor.

2 Likes

Re: Dealing With A Child's Destructive Behaviour? by girlking(f): 2:48pm On Aug 30, 2012
I would love to tell their is a hard and fast rule that when u apply it he would immediately stop destroying things, but there is non ;big hug; kids will always be kids adventurous and wanting to learn. All u have to do is correct him (with love) and with time he would outgrow it. He is at an age where he wants to discover every thing. Be patient -though it isn't easy- Cheers
Re: Dealing With A Child's Destructive Behaviour? by ArQueBusieR(m): 2:48pm On Aug 30, 2012
lol...I used to be like that too. Sometimes it's just curiosity: your kid might just be developing an investigative personality. In my own case, my parents started buying indestructible toys. I just had to give-up on trying to destroy them.
Re: Dealing With A Child's Destructive Behaviour? by Audukaya: 2:49pm On Aug 30, 2012
Your child has a behaviour disorder look for a behaviour therapist to correct it.
Re: Dealing With A Child's Destructive Behaviour? by Nobody: 2:50pm On Aug 30, 2012
An Engineer in the making
Re: Dealing With A Child's Destructive Behaviour? by Odicious: 2:51pm On Aug 30, 2012
Ur boy has got a talent and ds is just d early stages of its development.i.e understanding how things are formed even though it's not yet fully developed on puttn them back 2geda don't try to mask his talent by stopping him. Just encourage him to put them back in shape when he's done. Take it out on him like a tease. Anyway sorry for d cost but rememba every gud thn demands a sacrifice.

1 Like

Re: Dealing With A Child's Destructive Behaviour? by omoabike: 2:53pm On Aug 30, 2012
LOL
I could say the same thing about my daughter. She does not only destroy toys but books too.
There was a day I came from a trip and bought toy wristwatches for her and her older brother. I only got to know that the maid had helped her opened the wrapping of her own when she brought the dismantled toy wristwatch.
I had not even finish undressing. She just said in Yoruba "mo ti baaje". Since we live outside Naija, it is funny that this statement is probably the only Yoruba she speak without a mistake.
Be rest assure that your son will change as he grows older. My daughter is almost 4 now and I have started seeing changes in her behavior. I must confess that I have had to smack her because she destroy not only her toy buy at times remote control and somee other stuffs like that.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Loosed Vagina / How To Cheat On Your Husband Without Being Caught / Ever Worn The Same Dress With A Stranger To An Event?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.