Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,096 members, 7,849,429 topics. Date: Monday, 03 June 2024 at 09:22 PM

Banning the word "Fail" in Classrooms - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Banning the word "Fail" in Classrooms (1877 Views)

Kaduna Pupils Eat El-rufai's Free Food On The Floors Of Their Classrooms (PICS) / Reasons Why Students Fail In Their First Year / Students Writing Exams On The Floor & Outside Classrooms (Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Banning the word "Fail" in Classrooms by Chxta(m): 2:29pm On Jul 31, 2005
The word "fail" should be banned from use in British classrooms and replaced with "deferred success" to avoid demoralizing pupils, says a group of teachers.

Members of the Professional Association of Teachers (PAT) argue that telling pupils they have failed can put them off learning for life.

A spokesman for the group said it wanted to avoid labeling children.
"We recognize that children do not necessarily achieve success first time," he said.

"But I recognize that we can't just strike a word from the dictionary," he said.

The PAT said it would debate the proposal at a conference next week.

Yahoo
Re: Banning the word "Fail" in Classrooms by Latoya(f): 6:05am On Aug 01, 2005
but u know what?
Fail and deffered r 2 different words entirely.u cant use deffered in place of failure.
Re: Banning the word "Fail" in Classrooms by hotangel2(f): 7:12am On Aug 01, 2005
Failure is failure.
Re: Banning the word "Fail" in Classrooms by nike4luv(f): 11:24am On Aug 01, 2005
When a child fails you, tell him straight to his face or he wouldnt know how bad he messed up.
Re: Banning the word "Fail" in Classrooms by hotangel2(f): 12:06pm On Aug 01, 2005
God bless you Nike.
Re: Banning the word "Fail" in Classrooms by Seun(m): 12:31pm On Aug 01, 2005
Go ahead and 'fail' your children at every opportunity so they'll know how bad they've messed up. And while you're at it, make sure you never, ever praise them so their heads will not get swollen. Amen! grin

Education Secretary Ruth Kelly has dismissed suggestions that the concept of "failure" should be removed from school in favour of "deferred success"
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4697461.stm

A retired teacher has lost her fight to have the word "fail" replaced by "deferred success" in education speak.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/suffolk/4724703.stm
Re: Banning the word "Fail" in Classrooms by hotangel2(f): 12:41pm On Aug 01, 2005
Wow...this is like really serious. I know that calling someone a "failure" hurts, but at the same time, you just have to say the truth as it is. The truth they say, hurts.
Re: Banning the word "Fail" in Classrooms by Latoya(f): 1:41pm On Aug 01, 2005
the truth hurts,but we all have to be realistic"failure is failure"and
can never be in place of deffered sucess.
Re: Banning the word "Fail" in Classrooms by angelak(f): 3:06pm On Aug 01, 2005
I believe that white people are over sensitive on issues. That's why their society if full of crazy happenings.If you fail an exam, it simply means that you didn't read for it and you failed,so play less and study more next. what's hurtful about that?
Re: Banning the word "Fail" in Classrooms by nike4luv(f): 5:09pm On Aug 01, 2005
u damn rite white pple are..dey dont even want their kids to hav an F talk less of failure..dose kids were pampered..it gets on my nerves because most of dose kids are f**king dumb
Re: Banning the word "Fail" in Classrooms by Hunter(m): 9:57pm On Aug 01, 2005
Everyone can go bad at something at school, Though I have never actually failed anything due to it being bad, rather than to not doing it in the first place (stupid school make me do art) Which is different I suppose, so I think the word fail is still acceptable there.
As for just going badly in class, to fail in VCE (Victorian Certificate of Education) you have to get less than 25% in English (SAC (mini exam's) and the final exam (50%))
So unless your really stupid we don't here the word too often smiley
Re: Banning the word "Fail" in Classrooms by nike4luv(f): 10:10pm On Aug 01, 2005
o wel..i neva had to hear de word fail
Re: Banning the word "Fail" in Classrooms by Seun(m): 10:28pm On Aug 01, 2005
Prior to one disastrous semester at OAU-Ife in which I actually missed 4 exams, the only time I ad failed an exam was in JSS 1 when I scored 39 (or 35) in French Language. Less than years and one lesson teacher later, in the WAEC JSCE, I scored an A in French Language.
Re: Banning the word "Fail" in Classrooms by nike4luv(f): 10:36pm On Aug 01, 2005
cool..we on de same page
Re: Banning the word "Fail" in Classrooms by hotangel2(f): 10:37pm On Aug 01, 2005
Oyinbo kids are dumb.. calling them a failure hurts them..and that's why it's good to call them failure.
Re: Banning the word "Fail" in Classrooms by nike4luv(f): 11:35pm On Aug 01, 2005
yea..dey hav evrytin lol but dere are some that are kinda brainy but ugly..
Re: Banning the word "Fail" in Classrooms by Seun(m): 11:38pm On Aug 01, 2005
Racist girls.
Re: Banning the word "Fail" in Classrooms by hotangel2(f): 12:36am On Aug 02, 2005
haha seun, this ain't racism.. The kids that are cute are dumb, and the ones that are brilliant are nerds. So i see no reason why the dumb ones shouldn't be told that they "FAILED".
Re: Banning the word "Fail" in Classrooms by nike4luv(f): 2:05am On Aug 02, 2005
yea..dat aint racist..white cant be brainy and cute at de same time sorry undecided
Re: Banning the word "Fail" in Classrooms by Hunter(m): 12:12pm On Aug 02, 2005
hate to disapoint you then nike4luv wink
Re: Banning the word "Fail" in Classrooms by Latoya(f): 12:22pm On Aug 02, 2005
Nike that isn't fair?
Hidden-Hunter is white,He is nice too.
so mind your language becos u dey make some people vex !
Re: Banning the word "Fail" in Classrooms by nike4luv(f): 1:35pm On Aug 02, 2005
oopsie..ok..um..soz den
its just de ones i seen dont hav de 2
Re: Banning the word "Fail" in Classrooms by hotangel2(f): 4:47am On Aug 03, 2005
So hunter is tryna say he's cute, white, and all brains? I will kill to be your girlfriend.
Re: Banning the word "Fail" in Classrooms by Hunter(m): 5:19am On Aug 03, 2005
all without blowing my own trumpet so to speak wink
Re: Banning the word "Fail" in Classrooms by angelak(f): 11:47am On Aug 04, 2005
racism, interesting! smiley
Re: Banning the word "Fail" in Classrooms by Latoya(f): 11:54am On Aug 04, 2005
Nah not in this situation where we have a white kid with us
She understand

angela k:

racism, interesting! smiley
Re: Banning the word "Fail" in Classrooms by nike4luv(f): 2:11pm On Aug 04, 2005
yea..dey bring it..we finish it lol

gosh..i give em hell
Re: Banning the word "Fail" in Classrooms by hotangel2(f): 11:49pm On Aug 04, 2005
Ahh u guys... grin
Re: Banning the word "Fail" in Classrooms by nike4luv(f): 2:21pm On Aug 05, 2005
yea..we guys..we like sooo hot
Re: Banning the word "Fail" in Classrooms by hotangel2(f): 8:58pm On Aug 05, 2005
hehe.. grin grin grin grin
Re: Banning the word "Fail" in Classrooms by nike4luv(f): 9:29pm On Aug 05, 2005
grin cheesy wink smiley
Re: Banning the word "Fail" in Classrooms by hotangel2(f): 3:28am On Aug 06, 2005
laughing competition?? grin grin grin grin grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigeria Postal Code Not Zip Code / The Truth About Unilorin / Federal Polytechnic Nekede,owerri Admission Details

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.