Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,101 members, 7,811,100 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 11:27 PM

How Do I Protect My Wordpress Plugin From Being Pirated - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / How Do I Protect My Wordpress Plugin From Being Pirated (3453 Views)

Wordpress Plugin Development Tutorial / Developer Integrates Interswitch's Webpay With Wordpress Plugin / How To Protect My Cd. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do I Protect My Wordpress Plugin From Being Pirated by talk2hb1(m): 11:33am On Sep 07, 2012
Help!!!!!!!!!!!!
Can any body tell me how to protect my WordPress plugin from being pirated. Any suggestion will be appreciated. I tried Googling it but still not satisfied with the result I have been getting. Most people are suggesting Obfuscating the code, which is another stress or work in supporting the users. All suggestion is/are welcome.
Re: How Do I Protect My Wordpress Plugin From Being Pirated by Nobody: 12:22pm On Sep 10, 2012
I feel you bro, I too am writing a plugin and tried to see how such can be easily safe-guarded sad thing is Wordpress is Open source so all codes are mostly accessible via ftp or even Wordpress Admin itself, the only way I can imagine is have some sort of api registration or have ur script contact ur api for permission and validating against a record. Am still searching on it besides I couldn't help notice the Sms on your signature I'm creating a plugin that integrates with SMS provider and can send but I don't have much SMS to test with, is there some kinda api u have and a way I can add yours to my plugin. Hit me back cuz am making good progress. But usually the Support is now the catch,create something free and keep providing support. That's the OSS way.
Re: How Do I Protect My Wordpress Plugin From Being Pirated by Nobody: 12:32pm On Sep 10, 2012
Sorry about the lack of punctuation, phone typing cheesy
Re: How Do I Protect My Wordpress Plugin From Being Pirated by lordZOUGA(m): 3:00pm On Sep 10, 2012
talk2hb1: Help!!!!!!!!!!!!
Can any body tell me how to protect my WordPress plugin from being pirated. Any suggestion will be appreciated. I tried Googling it but still not satisfied with the result I have been getting. Most people are suggesting Obfuscating the code, which is another stress or work in supporting the users. All suggestion is/are welcome.
its open source. Why would you want to protect ur codes?? Isn't that against open source licensing and stuff??

1 Like

Re: How Do I Protect My Wordpress Plugin From Being Pirated by Nobody: 3:42pm On Sep 10, 2012
that only applies to if you make a modification of WordPress then you are bound to release the code to WordPress but this is a plugin which basically allows you to implement your app or extend WordPress so its not really compulsory to make it free if you don't want to.
Re: How Do I Protect My Wordpress Plugin From Being Pirated by lordZOUGA(m): 4:24pm On Sep 10, 2012
pc guru: that only applies to if you make a modification of WordPress then you are bound to release the code to WordPress but this is a plugin which basically allows you to implement your app or extend WordPress so its not really compulsory to make it free if you don't want to.
the GPL license says if you wanna release it, release with the source code
Re: How Do I Protect My Wordpress Plugin From Being Pirated by Nobody: 4:33pm On Sep 10, 2012
oh well i guess i should focus on the plugin then obfuscating it. i saw the license but mehn that stuff's long
Re: How Do I Protect My Wordpress Plugin From Being Pirated by talk2hb1(m): 4:54pm On Sep 10, 2012
That is the not the meaning of the license. What the license is saying is that if I am packaging my plugin or deploying it with WordPress my software or plugin must be free, not that I must give out my software that runs on open source or compatible with Open source must be free.
Lets assume I want to deploy an application for a client and I am going to use MySQL as the back-end server, is either I advise the user of my software to download MySQL separately if I am collecting money for the software or I package my software with MySQL free for the user, that is my software with MySQL. Please don't get it twisted Open source has come to stay. Do you know how much Red Hat is making from Red Hat Linux? Billions of Dollar.
Re: How Do I Protect My Wordpress Plugin From Being Pirated by lordZOUGA(m): 5:30pm On Sep 10, 2012
talk2hb1: That is the not the meaning of the license. What the license is saying is that if I am packaging my plugin or deploying it with WordPress my software or plugin must be free, not that I must give out my software that runs on open source or compatible with Open source must be free.
Lets assume I want to deploy an application for a client and I am going to use MySQL as the back-end server, is either I advise the user of my software to download MySQL separately if I am collecting money for the software or I package my software with MySQL free for the user, that is my software with MySQL. Please don't get it twisted Open source has come to stay. Do you know how much Red Hat is making from Red Hat Linux? Billions of Dollar.
okay
Re: How Do I Protect My Wordpress Plugin From Being Pirated by Nobody: 8:38pm On Sep 10, 2012
@talk2hb i signed up for lagSMS i assumed there wud be an API, as am working on a plugin, how do i contact you.
Re: How Do I Protect My Wordpress Plugin From Being Pirated by talk2hb1(m): 2:34pm On Sep 11, 2012
pc guru: @talk2hb i signed up for lagSMS i assumed there wud be an API, as am working on a plugin, how do i contact you.
You can give a Call on 08064620491 But I still dont understand what API you want
Re: How Do I Protect My Wordpress Plugin From Being Pirated by Nobody: 12:19am On Sep 12, 2012
by API i mean an interface for sending SMS from my application rather logging into lagSMS like via Curl,HTTP or the likes of a Web Service
Re: How Do I Protect My Wordpress Plugin From Being Pirated by talk2hb1(m): 1:56pm On Sep 12, 2012
You can mail me privately so we can talk. This is not an on-line talk mail me at talk2hb1[at]gmail[dot]com
Re: How Do I Protect My Wordpress Plugin From Being Pirated by mj(m): 7:04am On Sep 13, 2012
This is not somtn secret, if ur offering an sms service on ur site and I don't want to come to ur site to send sms, maybe I develop a desktop app or web app where I want to send the sms from, u should b able to provide API for me to do that, so many sms service providers provide API.
Re: How Do I Protect My Wordpress Plugin From Being Pirated by talk2hb1(m): 9:11am On Sep 13, 2012
mj: This is not somtn secret, if ur offering an sms service on ur site and I don't want to come to ur site to send sms, maybe I develop a desktop app or web app where I want to send the sms from, u should b able to provide API for me to do that, so many sms service providers provide API.
Yeah I know, but mj you understands better nah
Re: How Do I Protect My Wordpress Plugin From Being Pirated by Dolapo93(m): 12:29am On Dec 08, 2012
Kill NuLLing first and have a goodnight sleep over yhur plugin...
Re: How Do I Protect My Wordpress Plugin From Being Pirated by informatix: 1:30pm On Dec 11, 2012
codes are imprtant i feel you pls. Try installshield it should be able to give you any any you need to securing your plugin.

(1) (Reply)

Teach Me How To Become A Programmer / Abstract, Interface And Adapter Classes / How Do I Pay For Apps On Google Play Store

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.