Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,250 members, 7,818,866 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:56 AM

Answering The Universal Question - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Answering The Universal Question (1047 Views)

Happy Feast Of Christ The Universal King To All Catholics!!! / BIBLE Quiz:(think Twice Before Answering) / Who Is Answering The Prayers Of Unbelievers? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Answering The Universal Question by engrtee(f): 1:16pm On Sep 08, 2012
I cal dis d universal question because almost everyone askd dat question as a child. The question is

WHO CREATED GOD?

I remember askin the question as a child. I recived different answer but not satisfactory. I was later told it was a mystery and then i stopped asking.

I remember the question becus an 8 year old threw it at me. Am confused on how to answer him witout using much logic and philosophy.
Re: Answering The Universal Question by bigmaut: 8:49pm On Sep 08, 2012
God created himself simple,or does that stop you frm soaking yur garri & kuli-kuli 4 breakfast grin grin grin
Re: Answering The Universal Question by manmustwac(m): 9:11pm On Sep 08, 2012
bigmaut: God created himself simple,or does that stop you frm soaking yur garri & kuli-kuli 4 breakfast grin grin grin
But how did God manage to create himself without no formal education? How did he learn how to count? Right from wrong? About all the animals he supposedly created?
Re: Answering The Universal Question by CrazyMan(m): 9:27pm On Sep 08, 2012
manmustwac: But how did God manage to create himself without no formal education? How did he learn how to count? Right from wrong? About all the animals he supposedly created?
God is a spirit...he's existence remains a mistery even to bible scholars.

Exodus 3:14 God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: 'I AM has sent me to you.'"

From this passage, its obvious that his existence cannot be fathomed...if he wanted us to know about his existence, he would have left possible clues in the bible for determined scholars to discover.
Re: Answering The Universal Question by DeepSight(m): 9:39pm On Sep 08, 2012
engrtee: I cal dis d universal question because almost everyone askd dat question as a child. The question is

WHO CREATED GOD?

I remember askin the question as a child. I recived different answer but not satisfactory. I was later told it was a mystery and then i stopped asking.

I remember the question becus an 8 year old threw it at me. Am confused on how to answer him witout using much logic and philosophy.

God is the eternal element which is not said to be created: the same way as eternity, having no beginning, is not created. For starter's see God as Eternity itself.
Re: Answering The Universal Question by EvilBrain1(m): 10:26pm On Sep 08, 2012
CrazyMan:
God is a spirit...he's existence remains a mistery even to bible scholars.

Exodus 3:14 God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: 'I AM has sent me to you.'"

From this passage, its obvious that his existence cannot be fathomed...if he wanted us to know about his existence, he would have left possible clues in the bible for determined scholars to discover.

Let's try a little thought experiment. Imagine, just for the sake of this debate, that the bible didn't exist. Or that you knew for a fact that it was just a bunch of meaningless stories with no hidden significance.

How would you then know that god was unfathomable. How would you know that hehad any interest in human activities? How would you know he created the world? How would you know that he even existed at all?

The fact is that all your beliefs about god are founded on the assumption that what is written in the bible is actually true. The're is also the assumption that your interpretation of the bible is correct.

The second assumption is probably wrong because based on the sheer number of different versions of Christianity that exist (and have existed in the past) the probability that yours happens to be the correct one is miniscule.

The first assumption is demonstrably wrong because the bible contradicts both itself as well a huge amount of the knowledge we have gained from all the various branches of science. In order to believe the bible is absolutely true, one has to close your mind to logic and the influence of new information like those misguided people in America fighting to stop schoolchildren from learning real biology in class.

Without the bible, you would have no knowledge of the nature of god, or his personality, or if he has a personality. You may believe that god exists, but without the bible, or whatever holy book your religion happens to use, you have absolutely no evidence to support that hypothesis.

And like I said earlier, the bible contradicts science. The bible contradicts reality. The bible even contradicts itself times without number. That means all your religious beliefs have no foundation, which is inevitably why they must all come crashing down.
Re: Answering The Universal Question by DeepSight(m): 6:10pm On Sep 09, 2012
Evil Brain:

Let's try a little thought experiment. Imagine, just for the sake of this debate, that the bible didn't exist. Or that you knew for a fact that it was just a bunch of meaningless stories with no hidden significance.

How would you then know that god was unfathomable. How would you know that hehad any interest in human activities? How would you know he created the world? How would you know that he even existed at all?

The fact is that all your beliefs about god are founded on the assumption that what is written in the bible is actually true. The're is also the assumption that your interpretation of the bible is correct.

The second assumption is probably wrong because based on the sheer number of different versions of Christianity that exist (and have existed in the past) the probability that yours happens to be the correct one is miniscule.

The first assumption is demonstrably wrong because the bible contradicts both itself as well a huge amount of the knowledge we have gained from all the various branches of science. In order to believe the bible is absolutely true, one has to close your mind to logic and the influence of new information like those misguided people in America fighting to stop schoolchildren from learning real biology in class.

Without the bible, you would have no knowledge of the nature of god, or his personality, or if he has a personality. You may believe that god exists, but without the bible, or whatever holy book your religion happens to use, you have absolutely no evidence to support that hypothesis.

And like I said earlier, the bible contradicts science. The bible contradicts reality. The bible even contradicts itself times without number. That means all your religious beliefs have no foundation, which is inevitably why they must all come crashing down.

Based on THOSE assumptions (the bible), yes. But based on commonsense, NO.
Re: Answering The Universal Question by plaetton: 6:19pm On Sep 09, 2012
Deep Sight:

God is the eternal element which is not said to be created: the same way as eternity, having no beginning, is not created. For starter's see God as Eternity itself.

From the bolded you do admit that god is Nothing. Think about it.

Secondly, you are saying that we are at liberty to imagine god as eternity, lost in time or not part of time.

Very Interesting indeed. Yet When I put it to you that God is created in the mind of man, you vehemently disagree.
Re: Answering The Universal Question by CrazyMan(m): 11:27pm On Sep 09, 2012
Deep Sight: Based on THOSE assumptions (the bible), yes. But based on commonsense, NO.
Seconded.
Re: Answering The Universal Question by MrAnony1(m): 3:21pm On Sep 10, 2012
engrtee: I cal dis d universal question because almost everyone askd dat question as a child. The question is

WHO CREATED GOD?

Lol, there is not too much logic/philosophy to it. God is uncreated and eternal by nature. Simples.
Re: Answering The Universal Question by plaetton: 9:10pm On Sep 10, 2012
Mr_Anony:
Lol, there is not too much logic/philosophy to it. God is uncreated and eternal by nature. Simples.

And how do we know that ? By deduction, conjecture, guesswork, or simply because that is how we wish him/her/it to be?
Re: Answering The Universal Question by DeepSight(m): 9:19pm On Sep 10, 2012
plaetton:

From the bolded you do admit that god is Nothing. Think about it.

Is eternity nothing?

If it is nothing, how do things exist in it?

Do things exist in nothingness?

YOU think about it.

Secondly, you are saying that we are at liberty to imagine god as eternity, lost in time or not part of time.

Very Interesting indeed. Yet When I put it to you that God is created in the mind of man, you vehemently disagree.

I have described my view of time repeatedly. Again, I ask: is eternity nothing? There lies your answer.
Re: Answering The Universal Question by plaetton: 9:37pm On Sep 10, 2012
Eternity is a concept to describe everlasting time. An idea to help us conceptualize unfathomable expanse of time. Nothing more.
Therefore, if we should view god in terms of eternity, then god falls under the same category as a notion, a concept, a gap to fill insufficient knowledge.
Re: Answering The Universal Question by plaetton: 9:43pm On Sep 10, 2012
^^^^^

Eternity

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For other uses, see Eternity (disambiguation).

Eternity personified, holding the ourobouros. Caryatid in the apse of Milan Cathedral (1611).
Eternity (or forever) is endless time. It is often referenced in the context of religion, in the concept of immortality, whereby death is conquered, and people may live for an unlimited amount of time (cf. Heaven). The existence of gods or God is said to endure eternally and sometimes also the natural cosmos, in respect to both past and future.

By contrast, the concept of a mathematically infinite duration, is called sempiternity or everlasting. Whereas the eternal is said to be unchanging and outside time; a potentially sempiternal span of time can never come to pass in actuality.[1] Aristotle argued that the cosmos has no beginning.
Re: Answering The Universal Question by plaetton: 9:46pm On Sep 10, 2012
My point is that eternity is a concept, a religious concept at that.

A concept means an idea, an imagined or mentally improvised scenario.

So, god =eternity= a concept= an idea= mentally improvised scenario.
Re: Answering The Universal Question by DeepSight(m): 10:04pm On Sep 10, 2012
^^^ I can't make sense of what you are saying. Are you suggesting that if human beings did not exist to conceptualize eternity, then eternity would not exist? That is patently false and eerily similar to Idehn's argument that things only exist in our heads. It is a horribly illogical argument. I opened a thread to show this to Idehn but he never addressed it - - - >

https://www.nairaland.com/970734/contentions-idehn-existence-god-time

Please read and respond to the arguments there.
Re: Answering The Universal Question by Kay17: 10:08pm On Sep 10, 2012
Deep Sight:

I don't think you mean that God is eternal. Time has a beginning
Re: Answering The Universal Question by Kay17: 10:15pm On Sep 10, 2012
Deep Sight:
^^^ I can't make sense of what you are saying. Are you suggesting that if human beings did not exist to conceptualize eternity, then eternity would not exist? That is patently false and eerily similar to Idehn's argument that things only exist in our heads. It is a horribly illogical argument. I opened a thread to show this to Idehn but he never addressed it - - - >

Immanuel Kant did share similar views with Idehn, that space is a mental construct. For an empiricist, such is untenable.
Re: Answering The Universal Question by plaetton: 10:31pm On Sep 10, 2012
Deep Sight:

Eternity is immeasurable time expanse of time. Since there will always tangential points upon which time can be measured, eternity(time without measure) can only exist as a concept.
Re: Answering The Universal Question by MrAnony1(m): 3:05am On Sep 11, 2012
plaetton:

And how do we know that ? By deduction, conjecture, guesswork, or simply because that is how we wish him/her/it to be?
Well it depends....

How do we know that energy is neither created nor destroyed? by deduction, by conjecture, guesswork or simply because that's how we want it to be?

Or how do we know that bachelors are unmarried? by deduction, by conjecture, guesswork or simply because that's how we want it to be?

.....Or yet again, how do we know that a wheel is round? by deduction, by conjecture, guesswork or simply because that's how we want it to be?
Re: Answering The Universal Question by DeepSight(m): 9:47pm On Sep 11, 2012
plaetton:

Eternity is immeasurable time expanse of time. Since there will always tangential points upon which time can be measured, eternity(time without measure) can only exist as a concept.

Please this refers only to finite time and not to TIME.
Re: Answering The Universal Question by jayriginal: 9:47pm On Sep 14, 2012
Deep Sight:
Are you suggesting that if human beings did not exist to conceptualize eternity, then eternity would not exist?

If eternity is, it is. If it isnt, it isnt.

I see nothing in Plaetton's response to suggest otherwise.

The issue is "is there eternity" ?

Is eternity actual or a concept.

That is all.

My own take is that eternity is coterminous with infinity. I have no experience of infinity, except as an abstract concept and as such I am inclined to doubt it.
Of course, the religious such as you will seize on anything that can somewhat explain your farfetched theories.

(1) (Reply)

Horror!!!!!!! Disabled Woman Raped & Impregnated By Her "Xtian" Church Pastor / Holiness Required For Heaven / Longing To Be Free From Lust Thoughts. Pls Help!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.