Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,927 members, 7,810,559 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 11:06 AM

How Much Do You Spend On Your Car Monthly On The Average? - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Much Do You Spend On Your Car Monthly On The Average? (17592 Views)

How Much Did U Spend On Fuel This Week? / The Average Lifetime Of A Tire Is 4 Years / What Is The Average Life Span Of A Car? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car Monthly On The Average? by FindOut(m): 3:45pm On Sep 20, 2012
Siena:

If the engine's already on the way out, changing the oil so frequently won't help, it's just wasting money. It's actually more beneficial in such cases, to leave the oil in as long as possible, so it gets thick and black. A knocking engine will be quieter with dirty, thick oil. Many knocking engine have lasted over 6,000 miles with careful driving, and simply topping up the oil. And many of these worn engines have expired immediately after an oil change, smashing rods through the block.

My Audi S8 and BMW 120d M-Sport both have service indicators, the Audi A4 has one too. For cars without, you simply go by mileage. If the manufacturer indicates every 12,000 miles, that's what you go bo. So once it's serviced, you either take note of the mileage, or zero the trip meter (most Japmobiles have trip A and B so use just A). Once the trip approaches the 12,000 mark, then a service is due. Or on cars without trip meter, once the mileage you recorded at the last service approaches the additional 12,000 miles, a service is due.

The colour of the oil is NOT an accurate indicator as to when a service is due. Oil goes black due to three major factors - minute metal particles, dust that gets past the air filter (those running without air filters, take note!!) and contamination from the fuel. In the case of a diesel engine, sulphur present in diesel will darken the oil within a week. This does not mean an oil change is due weekly! A brand new engine will also have more internal friction, so the oil will get dark much earlier than an older engine that's been run-in. If the car is driven hard, and does more than 12,000 miles per year in dusty conditions, then you can make your servicing once every 6 months. Not monthly, or quarterly. Your car will cost you an absolute fortune to run otherwise, with no real benefit.

Spark plugs, fuel filter and pollen (cabin) filters (if fitted) are due every other service, so typically once every 18,000 miles approx. Air filters should be replaced every oil and filter change, due to dusty conditions.

Hmmm....thanks for the added knowledge boss. Very enlightening.
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car Monthly On The Average? by Nobody: 12:53pm On Sep 21, 2012
chucky234: Happy cruising ooooo
Thank you oooooo. I am enjoying the ride. It is a beauty.
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car Monthly On The Average? by Nobody: 10:51pm On Sep 22, 2012
tpacalipse: I just acquired a camry 1996 model from Nairaland last week. Just give me this month to get to know the ride. I will be back with story by next month. Btwn, the little I have observed about the car is not bad because I used about 25 litres of fuel from Ibadan to Ekiti last Wednesday, Even though I drove for more than 1hr within Ib before hitting the highway and the tank was empty before I bought thhe fuel.

In a month's time, I shall know more about the ride's consumption.
ahah is that true 25litres to Ado from Ibadan, my v boot with suicidal mileage does that infact with 20litres! cheesy
Are you sure you bought a toyota? grin
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car Monthly On The Average? by pinnochio(m): 11:08am On Oct 05, 2012
@smartchoice: Yeah its possible, since your six cylinder benz runs at a lower rpm at highway speeds versus the four cylinder toyota, it consumes slightly less than the toyota on the interstate at constant speed, but consumes much more intercity with constant accelerating/braking/gear changing.
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car Monthly On The Average? by captalex(m): 11:26am On Oct 07, 2012
ijigbamigb: Seeing what Siena, and Wallie posted here, I think I should stick tight to my tax-free economy, and govt here...

I drive a Corolla LE 2004. V4. Barely 2 years old.
I spend 1500 naira weekly on gas = 6000/monthly = 72,000
3500naira/monthly goes to servicing = 42,000
MOT = NO
Road Tax = there are no taxable roads in Nigeria.
Annual Car Registration = 10,000 (actually covers all taxes)

All makes 124,000 naira in a year. I think that's ok for corper like me.

Otondo to lowo,where u dey serve.
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car Monthly On The Average? by captalex(m): 6:07pm On Oct 08, 2012
Siena:

Bros, even if you be Wakajugbe sef wey dey drive moto from Yola go Las Gidi every two days, no mean say you go dey change engine oil d way you dey do am, hehehe. wink

On a serious note, it's pointless changing engine oil, without replacing the filter. A dirty oil filter will contaminate the fresh oil as soon as you start the engine. The oil filter on most cars holds on average a quart of oil, which is not removed by draining. It's a false economy. If you change your oil and filter frequently, it should be no more than once every 6 months. Any more frequent is as good as putting your hard-earned money into a blast furnace, and watching it burn.

I change the engine oil and filter every month to allow the engine breathe,I drive like a jackrabbit because of Lagos madness.
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car Monthly On The Average? by captalex(m): 6:31pm On Oct 08, 2012
Car: 1999 Toyota camry
Fuel consumption: 7000 for a full tank,
Haven't serviced it yet
But the car seller said that I was and reuse the original oil filter that cam with the car
Just a week old but much fun to drive.
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car Monthly On The Average? by Nobody: 7:31pm On Oct 08, 2012
captalex: Car: 1999 Toyota camry
Fuel consumption: 7000 for a full tank,
Haven't serviced it yet
But the car seller said that I was and reuse the original oil filter that cam with the car

Just a week old but much fun to drive.

Do that, only if you're looking to kill your engine. New oil - new filter, no exceptions.
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car Monthly On The Average? by captalex(m): 10:56pm On Nov 12, 2012
Siena:

Do that, only if you're looking to kill your engine. New oil - new filter, no exceptions.
noted , wouldn't dare it.
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car Monthly On The Average? by sooperrescue(m): 6:36am On Jan 01, 2013
N8000 a week for fuel x 4 weeks = N32000
Octane Booster N1000 x 4 times=N4000
Insurance N5000 Third Party
Road Tax: Nil
Service: Every 22000 Miles using Polytron, Which means Once a year N30,000 oil change( 2 gallons of TOTAL 4X4, Oil Filter and Polytron).
TOTAL: N36,000 monthly
Range Rover Sport 06, Java Black
4.4 L, V8
18Inch tires with Speed rating V.
Average fuel Consumption 14 litres per 100kms
Fuel: Premium Unleaded
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car Monthly On The Average? by Nobody: 5:04pm On Jan 20, 2013
anneki: Hello All,

5W-20 and 5W-30 viscosity engine oils are now available

Manufacturers Recommendation for:

Available @
Xxxxxxxxx Xxxx - 000 Xoooo Bleep, Xxxx, Xxxxx. 08035000000, 08085000000
Xxxx Car Wash - 000 A E Xxxxxxxx St, Xxxxx, Xxxxx. 08055000000, 07032000000

Please observe forum rules. Sales adverts are not permitted here. Learn to read, and comply.
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car Monthly On The Average? by yhemster(m): 9:15am On Jan 22, 2013
OMG I wish the auto insurance in the UK is as cheap as in the US, paying abt 350 - 400 pounds for comprehensive insurance per annum? Abeg we need to transfer those Actuarial guys to the US to save us from these dubious capitalist, or are does Uk has better drivers? sad. But, the gas price in the UK is abt 2.5 times what it is in the US, so I guess there is no perfect place to own an automobile. Even Naija where everything looks cheaper, there is no good road to enjoy ur driving grin.
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car Monthly On The Average? by wewe1(m): 2:06pm On Jan 26, 2013
I am still tracking my monthly expense on my new 2002/2003 peugeot 406 EW10 ENGINE, cos I just got it first week of this year. So far it has been pocket friendly for the fact that I do an average of 95kilometers to 105 Kilometers journey daily (home to work and little waka), Will get back first week of Feb. But for my formal car 1992 Honda civic Hatchback,.... No track record at all!
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car Monthly On The Average? by chukel(m): 9:14am On Dec 12, 2015
Siena:

I'm a burglar, and supplement my meagre burglar income with armed robbery by night.
I love this response.
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car Monthly On The Average? by LeJeun3: 2:57pm On Dec 13, 2015
captalex:

I change the engine oil and filter every month to allow the engine breathe,I drive like a jackrabbit because of Lagos madness.

Its not necessary to change your oil ever so often. I would rather suggest you use the synthetic grade of the required oil for your car.
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car Monthly On The Average? by forbisi: 6:43am On Jan 11, 2018
First post here was created in 2012 and last post was 2015.
Please do these figures still apply now?

This is my situation: my car will be arriving next week and I am trying to find out how much I will be spending on fuel per month. Reside in Ikoyi, work in Lekki phase 1 , so obviously, I won't be consuming that much fuel. The monster here is the link bridge tollgate. Mehn, 250 per trip, 500 go come every day, that's 10,000 per month.
Before now, I have been seeing free ride to work and I stroll back home after work. Yes, it's really refreshing to walk on that bridge in the evening, no matter how tired you are, the breeze from the sea will soothe you.
Now to be spending 10k monthly just on tollgate? Asides from fuel and other charges? Really scary.
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car Monthly On The Average? by LeJeun3: 9:38pm On Jan 11, 2018
forbisi:
First post here was created in 2012 and last post was 2015.
Please do these figures still apply now?

This is my situation: my car will be arriving next week and I am trying to find out how much I will be spending on fuel per month. Reside in Ikoyi, work in Lekki phase 1 , so obviously, I won't be consuming that much fuel. The monster here is the link bridge tollgate. Mehn, 250 per trip, 500 go come every day, that's 10,000 per month.
Before now, I have been seeing free ride to work and I stroll back home after work. Yes, it's really refreshing to walk on that bridge in the evening, no matter how tired you are, the breeze from the sea will soothe you.
Now to be spending 10k monthly just on tollgate? Asides from fuel and other charges? Really scary.

Kuku continue the previous routine........ That you now have a car doesn't obligate you to drive it daily.!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

7 Tech-filled Cars That Were Unveiled At The 2018 Monterey Car Week / Common Toyota Problems / Types Of Car Carriers Around The World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.