Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,156 members, 7,818,495 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:20 PM

Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names (16101 Views)

A Tribute To The Beautiful Itsekiris Of The Niger Delta / Early History Of The Niger-congo Speakers (igbo, Yoruba, Fulani, Mande, Etc) / The Niger Delta In The 19th Century (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by gandkiss: 1:38pm On Sep 11, 2012
HOW THOSE ALL THIS AFFECT THE PRODUCTION OF G**** FOR THE HUNGRY MASSES.
Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by Antivirus92(m): 1:43pm On Sep 11, 2012
saintobi1: Firstly thanks to MOD for behaving properly nowadays (i attribute it to the ban-if-you-wish-revolution which is a continuous success). Such threads in the past suffered in the background

nssukka:it was originally called nri-ka i.e nri-nke-ka (greater nri). But a stronger hamlet took over,and its culture and language expanded and it was renamed nsu-ka i.e asusu-nke-ka (greater language).
Bonny - ubani (wealth of ani) was the original name. The early europeans probably asked about the name and when they were told, thought that it sounded like bonny which means 'good'.
Lagos is a portugeese name. Even some locations in the present day portugal goes by that name. The early explorers gave it that name and transcribed it on their maps which the later explorers consulted.
Onitsha - aniocha i.e ani-ocha (bright land? ,white land?)
umuahia - oma ahia . Oma is square, ahia is a noisy bird, an equivalent of sparrows

later
thanks for this post. It's for morons who argue that nsukka people are not of nri/eri descent. Let them know that the name was just changed due to expansion.
Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by jamil2(m): 1:49pm On Sep 11, 2012
ifyalways: Much ado about nothing,IMO.

We should then be ready to change nearly the whole cities as most of the city names are corrupted.and that includes Nigeria.

Naijiria. . .Igbo man.
Nayeria. . .Hausa man.
Naijeria. . . Yoruba man.

Point of correction ma'am ify an average Hausa person can't pronounce Nigeria the way you alleged pronounced it, however I can give you a little correction where you used Y* should be a mistake latter J* should fitted the place. Example NAJERIYA.
Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by bokohalal(m): 1:51pm On Sep 11, 2012
odumchi:

He's referring to having them changed to their Igbo spellings. In the Igbo language, for the most part, things are spelled exactly the way they sound. For example, Owerri would be 'Owere' and Nsukka would be 'Nsuka'.

Ezeagu, I think there's a need for change also, but that would definitely require a large amount of resources.

Here are some more places that need to be changed:

Enugu to 'Enugwu'
Igbanke to 'Igbo-Akiri'
Igbuzor to 'Igbo-Uzọ'
Anambra to 'Ọmambala'
Orlu to 'Ọlu'
Ogwashi Uku to 'Ọgwashi Ukwu'
And possibly Arochukwu to 'Aruchukwu'

Ake means a kind of spirit in Edo and Ika languages. Where you got your Igbo-Akiri from is not farfetched. An attempt to forcefully 'Igbonise' the Ika people.
Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by Babaofor(m): 1:59pm On Sep 11, 2012
Aba-i don't know why the name was changed but the full name is Aba Ngwa.

1 Like

Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by Nobody: 2:05pm On Sep 11, 2012
1 shortblackboy:
so u will prefer it to be called the name the ibos used to refer to the town so that they will start claiming bonny island as their own abi
not really. Just traced the origin of the name. Ibos cant trace it as their own. They simply had a name for it during their trading travails
Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by itsme2(m): 2:10pm On Sep 11, 2012
The Op actually has some points, lets not try to trivilize this issue. It would be highly disingenous to act like this is a non issue. There is nothing bad with some cultural 'revolution' across the country, it might actually go a long way to positively ginger up our psyche which is almost non-existent now. We shouldnt always look at everything from an economic perspective (i.e how does this improve our standard of living blah blah blah) Our name is our identity, it is a very integral part of who we are as a people. Foreigners shouldnt define us (esp colonialist and oppressors) we should do that ourselves.
Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by Nobody: 2:15pm On Sep 11, 2012
ijaw citizen: Igbo people should pls keep Bonny out of this. The ancerstral name of the town is Okolo-ama named after the abundance of a particular coastal bird in the town, and thats the name the natives & neighbouring Ijaws still refer it to. Thanks for ur concern, but non required. Shalom!
pls read the post again o. The guy said ubani is the name the ibo traders called it. For e.G we call the US yankee. Oga Should i break it further down for you?
Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by PhysicsQED(m): 2:22pm On Sep 11, 2012
ezeagu:

Benin City to just Benin. Owere being spelt Owerri not only makes no sense since people pronounce it as Owere, but ignores the changes in orthography since 100 years ago.

Ok, I now understand the basis for changing Owerri's name and some of the other ones you mentioned. But on the 'Aw' vs. 'O' thing, isn't it likely that the 'aw' is there to indicate which kind of O sound the word uses? If Awka was changed to Oka, isn't there a possibility that outsiders might mispronounce it as 'oh-ka'? (Where the O is pronounced like the O in 'throw' or 'so')

On Benin, there used to be a Benin province and a Benin division in colonial times so it was probably necessary to distinguish between the city and the larger area that the city was in for a long time by saying 'city,' kind of like how there's NY state and New York City in the U.S. The 'city' part could be removed now, since there's no basis for confusion now, but I would assume people are used to it and probably wouldn't see it as such a big deal.

And yeah, I agree that PH should be renamed - probably after a famous/accomplished Nigerian from that city or Rivers state rather than having it retain the name of a pervert and criminal.
Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by Nobody: 2:36pm On Sep 11, 2012
BlackBaron: Lekki maybe - Most don't know it was named after a Portugese slave trader called Mr. Lecqi.

Some may disagree...

It might be since Portugal decided to have a city (abi na town or community make I ✆ Ω̴̩̩̩̥♏ area @once) tagged "Lagos".
Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by bokohalal(m): 2:40pm On Sep 11, 2012
PhysicsQED:

Ok, I now understand the basis for changing Owerri's name and some of the other ones you mentioned. But on the 'Aw' vs. 'O' thing, isn't it likely that the 'aw' is there to indicate which kind of O sound the word uses? If Awka was changed to Oka, isn't there a possibility that outsiders might mispronounce it as 'oh-ka'? (Where the O is pronounced like the O in 'throw' or 'so')

On Benin, there used to be a Benin province and a Benin division in colonial times so it was probably necessary to distinguish between the city and the larger area that the city was in for a long time by saying 'city,' kind of like how there's NY state and New York City in the U.S. The 'city' part could be removed now, since there's no basis for confusion now, but I would assume people are used to it and probably wouldn't it see it as such a big deal.

And yeah, I agree that PH should be renamed - probably after a famous/accomplished Nigerian from that city or Rivers state rather than having it retain the name of a pervert and criminal.

There was Benin City before Benin Province or Benin Division. Benin City was so named by Europeans in the 16th century in comparison to many known towns then in Europe. And just calling it Benin could mistake it for Benin Republic. Let us leave it as it is.
Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by PhysicsQED(m): 2:54pm On Sep 11, 2012
bokohalal:

There was Benin City before Benin Province or Benin Division. Benin City was so named by Europeans in the 16th century in comparison to many known towns then in Europe. And just calling it Benin could mistake it for Benin Republic. Let us leave it as it is.

True - Benin City does precede Benin division and Benin province. I agree that it should be left as it is. I think what the OP has a problem with (and he does have a point) is the presence of English and Portuguese words and the use of colonial spelling conventions in these names, but in the case of the word 'city' I don't think there's really a problem.
Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by ezotik: 3:21pm On Sep 11, 2012
if benin city should be renamed, it should be renamed oredo coz that is the edo name for the city which literally translate to edo city.

so both the local govt and captital can be oredo LGA, oredo. kinda like new york, new york.
Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by amaba: 4:39pm On Sep 11, 2012
Rubbish. Think of a creative issue to talk about. NONSENSE POST...
Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by dayokanu(m): 4:44pm On Sep 11, 2012
Maybe you also need to tell Ibo governors to embrace their native names

Instead of beating PETER Obi, MARTIN Elechi, ROCHAS okorocha, SULLIVAN Chime and THEODORE Orji.

All 5 of them no exception bear foreign names
Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by bluejeff(m): 5:23pm On Sep 11, 2012
Obudu - Ogbudu
Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by tlops(m): 5:58pm On Sep 11, 2012
Na this kain over-sabi na im make Nigeria dey where we dey.

Seriously,I am not a garri-movement fan but this is the kind of situation where garri related questions should be asked. IMHO.
Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by Nobody: 6:02pm On Sep 11, 2012
I think Victoria Island was named after Queen Victoria of England. That name ought have been changed immediately after independence

1 Like

Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by ezeagu(m): 7:33pm On Sep 11, 2012
greall1: Abeg next topic.

musKeeto: Front page don dey turn showcase. It attracts you to the shop, but you have to go in(a section) to get things of value.... smh..

A rose by any other name would still smell as sweet. This is simply putting the cart before the horse. When our people are enlightened enough, things will change.
I mean our president is called GOODLUCK JONATHAN, his wife is PATIENCE, and then there's DAVID MARK... should they all change their names too?

heed101: Can't believe I opened this s h i t. So annoying and coupled with the fact that I ate beans this morning. GusHhhhhh

DANILSA: I think op is simply jobless. What u just typed makes no meaning considering the meaning of a name.

Chanchit: #yawns#

MzFancy: My guy,serzly I don't tink there's any sense in ur write-up

seedord247: Forgive me lord for clicking on this thread. shocked

jude33084:

You are ∂ real slowpoke Yorubas believe Ŧħåϯ Benin is from Ife? cheesy

Τ̲̣̣̥н̣̣̣̝̇̇̇ε̲̣̣̣̥ whites gave it Benin city from Bight of Benin ßŮϯ due Ť☺ τ̲̣̣̥н̣̣̣̝̇̇̇ε̲̣̣̣̥ Yoruba tongue, τ̲̣̣̥н̣̣̣̝̇̇̇ε̲̣̣̣̥y could not pronounce τ̲̣̣̥н̣̣̣̝̇̇̇ε̲̣̣̣̥ word ΆŋԂ so called it Ubinu. Tribal bunch of,... lipsrsealed
cheesy

misreal: my brother na wa oh

chrisxxx: How come Ibos are always looking for territories to annex? Na by force to be Ibo?
{The Ikwerres are not Ibos}1000x
We agree we may have same ancestry but it does not make us Ibo just as it does not make Ibo Ikwerre.
You may have the population and for this particular reason of fear of dominating them led to indifference and seeming betrayer during the war.

texazzpete: Much ado about nothing, compiled by a jobless fellow.

So apparently it is not cool for Nigerian cities to bear names that were given by the colonial masters, yet the OP writes his objection in English, a language passed down to him by the British...and he does not see the irony!!

If the OP does not have work to do, let him break Egusi!

Redhot111: so na d "city" wey follow my town, na im dey pain u? I suggest u change ur name 1st, wen can den call 4 a sovereign national conference since it pains u dat much

ijaw citizen: Igbo people should pls keep Bonny out of this. The ancerstral name of the town is Okolo-ama named after the abundance of a particular coastal bird in the town, and thats the name the natives & neighbouring Ijaws still refer it to. Thanks for ur concern, but non required. Shalom!

gandkiss: HOW THOSE ALL THIS AFFECT THE PRODUCTION OF G**** FOR THE HUNGRY MASSES.

tlops: Na this kain over-sabi na im make Nigeria dey where we dey.

Seriously,I am not a garri-movement fan but this is the kind of situation where garri related questions should be asked. IMHO.

Look at them, not a single unique or inventive idea in their heads. They call someone jobless only to have time in the day to click on a thread with a title that describes its contents and then press out the time to complain about it. Even an amoeba has a clear purpose to everything it does. If the reasons for changing colonial disasters are too much for your mundane selves, take your 'price of ga ri' and 'jobless'-commenting selves to a thread that does not require you to think too hardly, inu?

You see a thread title and continue to the post only to rant about what you knew you were going to read. And you wander why your backward self is sitting in backwards country doing backwards sh*t?

texazzpete: Much ado about nothing, compiled by a jobless fellow.

So apparently it is not cool for Nigerian cities to bear names that were given by the colonial masters, yet the OP writes his objection in English, a language passed down to him by the British...and he does not see the irony!!

If the OP does not have work to do, let him break Egusi!

Yeah, I should have written it in a Nigerian language and alienated half of nairaland. Tell us more about your ideas. Can you imagine these pea-brained idiots complaining about the proposal when they have owned up to the fact that these names do in fact need changing?

Where does Igbo come up anywhere? Could you take out the Ijaw nationalist stick out your arse for one second and make a contribution that isn't laced with hostility? Thanks.

PhysicsQED:

On Benin, there used to be a Benin province and a Benin division in colonial times so it was probably necessary to distinguish between the city and the larger area that the city was in for a long time by saying 'city,' kind of like how there's NY state and New York City in the U.S. The 'city' part could be removed now, since there's no basis for confusion now, but I would assume people are used to it and probably wouldn't see it as such a big deal.

If the people of Benin want to keep 'City', then it's fine. Out of all these suggestions, Benin and Lagos were only there to try and balance out the list, but as you can see the problem is mainly, and almost completely in the east. I thought about the 'Aw' thing, but then Aw doesn't even serve the Ọ pronunciation well, unlike 'Au'.
Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by samkoro: 7:37pm On Sep 11, 2012
chrisxxx: How come Ibos are always looking for territories to annex? Na by force to be Ibo?
{The Ikwerres are not Ibos}1000x
We agree we may have same ancestry but it does not make us Ibo just as it does not make Ibo Ikwerre.
You may have the population and for this particular reason of fear of dominating them led to indifference and seeming betrayer during the war.

A kanuri man claiming Ikwerre.Pls we don't need ur input here
Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by Abagworo(m): 7:40pm On Sep 11, 2012
ezeagu:

Benin City to just Benin. Owere being spelt Owerri not only makes no sense since people pronounce it as Owere, but ignores the changes in orthography since 100 years ago.

And many were mad when Ikwerres corrected some of the spellings to their immediate dialect. Owerri is not pronounced Owere as many non-indigenes would want to believe. There is an emphasis on the OweRree. Oguta is Ugwuta.
Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by ezeagu(m): 7:44pm On Sep 11, 2012
Abagworo:

And many were mad when Ikwerres corrected some of the spellings to their immediate dialect. Owerri is not pronounced Owere as many non-indigenes would want to believe. There is an emphasis on the OweRree. Oguta is Ugwuta.

So people from there call it O-wer-ri?
Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by Novice1(m): 7:56pm On Sep 11, 2012
Leobreezy: Changing d names of towns won't ameliorate living conditions there, so whats the essence??

and it will not in any rambucious ramification affect the ---- of -----.
Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by ezeagu(m): 7:59pm On Sep 11, 2012
I actually laughed out loud at this ingenious and unique joke. I've never heard anything like this one before. You could not have come up with that one all by yourself could you? Pat on the back, good one!

[size=2pt]aturu ohia![/size]
Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by kutchs: 9:59pm On Sep 11, 2012
Some Nigerians can be very hypocrital most times. See people here advocating the change of Lagos to Eko yet they were the very people who insulted, abused and accused for changing the name of Unilag to MAULAG. Make una shift make I pass pass.
Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by ezeagu(m): 10:37pm On Sep 11, 2012
kutchs: Some Nigerians can be very hypocrital most times. See people here advocating the change of Lagos to Eko yet they were the very people who insulted, abused and accused for changing the name of Unilag to MAULAG. Make una shift make I pass pass.

The two conditions are totally unrelated.
Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by rote231(m): 11:06pm On Sep 11, 2012
odumchi:

He's referring to having them changed to their Igbo spellings. In the Igbo language, for the most part, things are spelled exactly the way they sound. For example, Owerri would be 'Owere' and Nsukka would be 'Nsuka'.

Ezeagu, I think there's a need for change also, but that would definitely require a large amount of resources.

Here are some more places that need to be changed:

Enugu to 'Enugwu'
Igbanke to 'Igbo-Akiri'
Igbuzor to 'Igbo-Uzọ'
Anambra to 'Ọmambala'
Orlu to 'Ọlu'
Ogwashi Uku to 'Ọgwashi Ukwu'
And possibly Arochukwu to 'Aruchukwu'
Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by odumchi: 11:18pm On Sep 11, 2012
Antivirus92: Alot of work to be done! Let's not blame the whites now,we are now the architect of own problems especially ndiigbo. Nwogu is now wogu,arochukwu is now arochuku,chukwu is now chuku,igbo is now ibo,okonkwo is now okonkwor,ofo is now ofor/ofoh etc. The day somebody will dare call me ikechuku,that day i give the person a befitting death

Aside from the 'Nwogu' reference, everything else is actually the other way around. In the early part of the colonial era, most Igbo words that had the 'gb' and 'kw' dipthongs were written as 'b' or 'k'.

However, I also believe that in Igbo (like many other languages) people often choose to stray from the standard spellings of certain words. For example in English, 'Jesse' can be spelled as 'Jessie' or 'Jessey'. In Igbo, 'Chidinma' can be spelled as 'Chidimma' or 'Chidinma' and 'Okafor' can be spelled as 'Okafor' or 'Okafo'.
Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by DaimlerBen(m): 1:49am On Sep 12, 2012
berem: So what will Seun change Nairaland to cos Naira might be an european name! undecided
Btw what's the meaning of naira and kobo?
I think naira was derived from the igbo word "nari" meaning one hundred (100), and kobo was used to rename one of the lesser British currencies (I think pence).
Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by Sagewood: 5:52am On Sep 12, 2012
Please post and discuss meaningful topics. Much Ado About Absolutely Nothing!
The French, Americans and British borrowed heavily from Latin and Greek when these
languages (Latin and Greek) were widely used by the so- called educated elites.
Nothing remians the same, people and languages evolve, so do the names of cities, towns
and countries.
Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by Antivirus92(m): 10:06am On Sep 12, 2012
odumchi:

Aside from the 'Nwogu' reference, everything else is actually the other way around. In the early part of the colonial era, most Igbo words that had the 'gb' and 'kw' dipthongs were written as 'b' or 'k'.

However, I also believe that in Igbo (like many other languages) people often choose to stray from the standard spellings of certain words. For example in English, 'Jesse' can be spelled as 'Jessie' or 'Jessey'. In Igbo, 'Chidinma' can be spelled as 'Chidimma' or 'Chidinma' and 'Okafor' can be spelled as 'Okafor' or 'Okafo'.
so changing those names is now a welcome development? Then what's the essence of this thread? Fyi the name jesse has a jewish origin just like john,steven etc,their are not english at all. I will advise you to change your name to odumcci,afterall it's the same.
Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by ezeagu(m): 11:29pm On Sep 12, 2012
Sagewood: Please post and discuss meaningful topics. Much Ado About Absolutely Nothing!
The French, Americans and British borrowed heavily from Latin and Greek when these
languages (Latin and Greek) were widely used by the so- called educated elites.
Nothing remians the same, people and languages evolve, so do the names of cities, towns
and countries.

Why did you then discuss a meaningless topic? What does French, American, and British have to do with a discussion on Nigeria?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How Can You Marry Someone From An Ethnic Group You Claim To Hate? / Easy Ways To Attract Positive Things To Yourself Amid Harsh Condition Of Nigeria / Why Are People Afraid Of 'EMBER' Months?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.