Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,814 members, 7,817,359 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:55 AM

Sausage Roll - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Sausage Roll (9919 Views)

What's Sunday Like Without Quality Meatpie &sausage Roll- Recipe Here! / The New Gala Sausage Roll. / UAC Foods Introduces Gala Chicken Sausage Roll (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Sausage Roll by toria12(f): 12:30pm On Sep 12, 2012
Sausage Rolls
Comments who need my help shoul text or email or ping 30D90EF5

Sausage Rolls are a typical Nigerian snack made from ground sausage meat and pastry which is then baked. Sausage Rolls are not unique to Nigeria but are extremely popular in the country and almost every fast food restaurant in Nigeria has their version of Sausage Rolls. A more popular version of the snack is known as Gala and is often sold by the roadside and on the streets by hawkers.

If you grew up in Nigeria or live there now, you must have heard hawkers shout ‘Gala, Gala, Gala!’ three times in succession, lol. I won’t lie, do ajebo and say I never ate it; I did, but never quite liked it. The wrapper was somewhat greasy and the snack itself was mostly dough and some type of sausage meat. I couldn’t tell you what kind of meat it was though, lol.

My favorite sausage in Nigeria was Satis beef sausage (was it really beef though? lol) and I don’t think it’s produced anymore and I remember when I first came to the States, I always looked for that Satis taste in almost every sausage I tried, but nothing could duplicate it. Satis was some good sausage though, mmmhmmm! (Please read the notes for more info!)

To learn how to make Sausage Rolls, here’s what you’ll need:

Prep Time: 15 mins

Cook Time: 40 mins

Difficulty: Easy

Yield: 12-14

1 Jimmy Dean roll sausage

3 cups all purpose flour

2 sticks butter

1/3 cup water OR 3-5 tbsps water

1/2 tsp table salt

1/2 tsp Curry Powder

Small piece fresh ginger, grated

1/2 knorr cube OR 1 maggi cube

1 egg, whisked

Water, for sealing

1. In a large bowl, add flour & salt

2. Cut butter into flour

3. Using fingers, work butter into flour till it looks like breadcrumbs

4. Add water in increments and using fingers, begin kneading till it forms an uneven ball

5. Continue kneading with fingers till dough becomes smoother

6. Set dough aside & begin working with ground sausage meat

7. Remove meat from wrapper, add to bowl

8. Peel and grate fresh ginger

9. Add grated ginger along with spices

10. Work spices/seasonings into ground sausage meat

11. Set aside, return to dough and divide into two parts

12. Roll one half of dough into a long sheet

13. Cut uneven edges of left side (whatever side is facing you) & add to rest of dough in bowl

14. Add flour to your hands, scoop some sausage meat into hands & roll meat into a slightly thick log

15. Add rolled sausage meat 1-2 inches from edge of dough

16. Gently lift cut edge (facing you) over sausage meat

17. Roll part with sausage once more to make it secure

18. Cut off extra dough as in step 13

19. Dip one finger in water & swipe edge, roll dough over part with water to seal edges

20. Cut off front and end bits of rolled dough that have no sausage

21. Start cutting log of sausage & dough into sausage rolls (see notes for length measurements!)

22. Use first cut sausage roll to gauge measurement & cut the rest into sausage rolls

23. Using a sharp knife, make three slashes across top of sausage rolls

24. Repeat steps 12 through 24 for remaining dough and sausage meat *5-10 mins before you’re done, pre-heat oven to 350 degrees*

25. Once done, transfer sausage rolls to baking pan layered with foil, wax paper and sprinkle some flour (in that order)

26. Break and whisk egg, use a basting brush to brush egg on sausage rolls

27. Transfer baking pan to oven, reduce heat to 325 degrees and let bake for 30-40 minutes till sausage is cooked

28. Once done, remove from oven

29. Let cool for 10 minutes before removing from wax paper

30. Transfer to serving plate & you’re done!

Notes:

To season the ground sausage meat, you don’t have to add grated ginger or any other spices for that matter. Some of the ground sausage packs already come pre-seasoned and as you can see on the wrapper of the one I used (second photo), it says ‘hot,’ so it’s probably already mildly seasoned.

I do think adding your own spices gives it an extra kick that makes it stand out even more.

Even though the wrapper says ‘hot,’ I’ve come to learn that it doesn’t fall into the same category as what Nigerians would define as hot.

When working with the dough, you can divide it into three or four parts if two parts is a bit too much to start with.

When rolling out the dough initially, you want to roll it out into a long shape, not wide. Long, because the length of it is what you need not the width, as width will give you too much dough around the edges, even if you cut it off. It will also make it shorter and you’d have to keep rolling out more and more dough to cut into sausage rolls.

To roll out the sausage meat, add flour to your palms, scoop some meat into your hands and roll between your palms till it begins to stretch out into a long roll. You don’t want it too thick or thin.

When you’ve added the sausage meat and you’re ready to cut into sausage rolls, to gauge how long or short you want it is really up to you. I don’t like too long (like the length of Gala) and I don’t like too short that it’s too short. A medium length usually works best for me, however you can go short, medium or long.

Visually gauge where you want to make the first cut for the first sausage roll; place your knife before cutting to see if you’re satisfied with that length.

Use the first cut sausage roll to gauge the length of the rest by placing it at the side of the log filled with sausage meat.

Inevitably, you will end up with some mini sausage rolls based on your initial length. This is fine  and actually serves to help you check the sausage rolls to see if the meat is cooked through instead of having to cut through an entire whole sausage roll.

Making three slashes across the top is not only aesthetically pleasing, but it also helps the meat cook a bit faster (when you slash it all the way through the dough till you see meat), lets air escape and also helps it cool a bit quicker when it’s finally done.

Starting off the oven temperature at 350 degrees and reducing it to 325 degrees is done to enable the meat cook thoroughly. If you leave the oven temperature at 350 degrees, the sausage rolls will still cook, but outside and edges will cook faster than the inner part. Reducing it to 325 degrees will give more even cooking.

Using a whisked egg to brush the tops of the rolls is just to give it a golden look and add some sheen to it.

Once the sausage cooks, it is normal for it to shrink a bit, that’s why you want to be generous right off the bat, instead of skimping on the meat!

Substitutes:
Re: Sausage Roll by MissyB3(f): 2:48pm On Sep 14, 2012

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Lovers Of Bread, Please Come In. / Which Is Your Bad Kitchen Habit / I Sell Dried Cow Skin(kpomo) In Abuja.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.