Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,807 members, 7,820,832 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:46 PM

Rooney Relives The Day Fergie Went Spare As United Won The Title - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Rooney Relives The Day Fergie Went Spare As United Won The Title (526 Views)

David Moyes Sacked, Fergie persuaded to take charge again!!! / Rooney’s Response To Fergie’s Autobiography Comments / Fergie: Rooney Did Ask To Leave United (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Rooney Relives The Day Fergie Went Spare As United Won The Title by brixton: 8:30am On Sep 14, 2012
Wayne Rooney has lifted the lid on Sir Alex Ferguson’s infamous ‘hairdryer’ temper - and revealed the Manchester United manager’s most explosive tirade.
Ferguson’s dressing-room temper losses are legendary, with former United striker Mark Hughes coining the nickname the ‘hairdryer’ to describe the ferocity of their blast.
And United striker Rooney, currently sidelined with a gashed thigh, revealed how Ferguson can still strike fear into players when he loses it - despite claims the 70-year-old Scot has mellowed with age.
“There’s nothing worse than getting the ‘hairdryer’ from Sir Alex,” said Rooney.
“When it happens, the manager stands in the middle of the room and loses it at me. He gets right up in my face and shouts.
“It feels like I’ve put my head in front of a BaByliss Turbo Power 2200. It’s horrible.
“I don’t like getting shouted at by anyone. It’s hard for me to take, so sometimes I shout back.
"I tell him he’s wrong and I’m right.”
Rooney gave the fascinating insight into Ferguson’s combustible nature in his new autobiography My Decade, which marks his 10 years of playing in the Premier League.
The United striker revealed Ferguson blowing his top is the manager’s way of maintaining control within the dressing-room and ensuring his authority remains unchallenged.
Rooney also revealed how some players have been ruined by a blast from Ferguson, their confidence shattered by the verbal assault, many of whom never recover from the experience.
“It spurs some of the lads on, but it crushes others,” said Rooney.
“I’ve seen the manager shout and scream at people and when they’ve gone back on the pitch their heads have dropped. They’ve lost it.”
Rooney recalled how one of Ferguson’s most explosive ‘hairdryer’ moments came after United lost 1-0 at Celtic in a Champions League group game in 2006.
Former United striker Louis Saha had missed a last-minute penalty to snatch a draw, Ferguson’s men eventually going down 1-0 to Gordon Strachan’s side.
Ferguson and Strachan endured a stormy relationship, dating back to their time as manager and player at Aberdeen.
The United boss was furious his players had lost to Strachan’s side and gave Saha both barrels in the dressing-room afterwards, revealed Rooney.
“It’s the worst ‘hairdryer’ I’ve seen,” said Rooney. “He’s in Louis’ face, shouting and screaming.
“But Louis isn’t the only one getting an earful.
"The manager knows I’ve been negotiating a new deal with the club and he saves some for me, 'Players wanting more money from the club and new deals - you don’t deserve anything after that performance!’”
Despite the blast, Rooney acknowledged that his performance at Celtic did not merit the new, improved contract he would eventually sign later that season.
Rooney also revealed how Ferguson tore into his players just moments before they were handed the Premier League trophy at Old Trafford after ending Chelsea’s two-year title reign.
United won the title in the 2006-07 season with two games to go, but Ferguson lost it when his side went down 1-0 to West Ham in the final game of the season at Old Trafford.
After the final whistle, with United’s players preparing to be presented with the Premier League trophy in front of a packed Old Trafford, Ferguson tore a strip off his players for the defeat.
“Most sides would be celebrating in the dressing-room, getting ready for the champagne and the photos,” recalled Rooney.
“Not us. We’re staring at the floor like school kids, the manager giving us the ‘hairdryer’.
“After the rollicking it takes a while before everyone cheers up enough to put their Premier League-winning smiles back on.”

9ft tall Fergie to loom over Manchester

Manchester United plan to put up a 9ft statue of manager Sir Alex Ferguson at Old Trafford.
The club has asked for planning permission to mount the bronze Fergie on a canopy to be built outside the North Stand, now named after the Red Devils' long-serving boss.
Sculptor Philip Jackson, an award-winning fellow Scot, has been chosen to create the statue of the 70-year-old football legend.
A United spokesman said the statue would be “a fitting way to mark the manager’s 25 years in charge”.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/manchester-united-alex-fergusons-hairdryer-1322878

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria Breweries, NBC Identify With Eko 2012 / Something New On Sport Betting.....a Must Read / Learn How To Make 200 Dollars Above From Sport Trading EVERY MONTH!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.